What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (5 Viewers)

Just going to say, if Bush turns into an all-star for another team I'm going to be pissed.
If that does happen, what would be the reason(s) behind such a transformation?
I think it would be two-fold. 1, if their D-line/front 4/5 are able to keep Bush clean so he doesn't have to shed blocks. And 2, if he gets his confidence back to act more instinctually. His speed never really flashed post-ACL. It could be because he's not capable anymore, or it could be a mental block. Taking an extra second or 2 to make a decision and ending up behind the play/out of position.

He had the raw talent coming out of College, it's possible a new coaching staff could tap it better than we did.

I dunno. Roberts looks to be an upgrade over Jack and Holcomb an upgrade over Spillane. That may be damning them with faint praise but incremental improvements are still improvements.

Also cutting Jack saves $8 million in cap space

Curious where they will spend this new $18MM from this cut and the Fitz restructure. Maybe there is a big signing out there about to happen.
$28 mil from Minkah, Mack, and Jackson III, but we signed (assumed 1st year cost from available details):
  • Patrick Peterson ($4.2 mil)
  • Larry O (pays $21.75 mil in first 2 years, $29 total, I'd assume a cap hit of $9 mil or less)
  • Demontae Kazee ($1.2 mil, rumored)
  • Nate Herbig ($2.5 mil)
  • Elandon Roberts ($2.5 mil, last 2 years was $2 and $2.75 mil)
  • Cole Holcomb (Less than $6 mil, $18 mil 3 year contract)
  • That's $25.4 million, though the cap hits for Larry and Cole could be several million lower.

Also, I think Cole was the Mack replacement, and Roberts is more a gadget/backup role. Cole wore the green dot for the Commanders and I think he'll do likewise for us. Roberts was used more as an OLB last year and I think he might pull double duty backing up Watt/Highsmith AND working as an ILB.

ILB is definitely still a draft need. I think based on the Herbig signing the Steelers won't focus on OG, but the rumors are that they were heavily recruiting Orlando Brown Jr but weren't willing to increase their guaranteed money high enough.
Draft needs remaining IMO: CB, ILB, DL, OT, WR. Would not be shocked if we double dipped at CB with this strong class and the Wallace/Witherspoon contracts expiring after this year.
Updated with most recent information:
  • ~$10 million in cap space after cutting William Jackson III
  • ~$17 mil after cutting Myles Jack
  • ~$27 mil after Minkah Restructure
  • Patrick Peterson ($3.4 mil after displacement)
  • Demontae Kazee ($1.2 mil, confirmed)
  • Nate Herbig ($1.7 mil, after displacement)
  • Elandon Roberts ($1.5 mil, after displacement)
  • Cole Holcomb (First year cap hit ~$3 mil, ~$2 mil after displacement)
Not including Larry O: ~$17.2 million in cap space
  • Larry O: Release information, pays $21.75 mil in first 2 years, $29 total
    • Based on that, I would assume that some of the $21.75 is the signing bonus, spread over the 3 years, and some is base salary for each of the first 2 years.
    • I wouldn't be shocked if it was a base salary of ~$2-3 mil in year 1 and a signing bonus of ~$12 million. That would mean a cap hit of $6-7 million in year 1.
    • Year 2 would be a base salary of ~$6-7 mil, cap hit of $10-11 mil.
    • Year 3 would be base salary of $7-9 mil, with a cap hit of $11 - 13 mil. The final year he could be cut for cap savings of $7-9 with a dead cap of $4.
This assumed contract would mean we have ~$10-11 million in cap space.
We still have a lot of options to open up more cap, especially depending on who we get in the draft.
  • Witherspoon: If we take a CB 1st I'd expect Witherspoon to probably be cut. $4 mil in cap savings
  • TJ Watt: Can be restructured to open up $13 mil in cap space.
  • Gunner: If Calvin Austin is healthy, I'd assume Gunner will be cut to save $2 mil in cap savings.
  • Cam Heyward: Cam has a cap hit of $22.2 mil and a base salary of $15.8 mil. He could be restructured to open up ~$5+ mil. But I'd rather extend him. If we extend Cam 2 years, we can free up $10+ mil in cap space if we want, and ensure Cam retires a Steeler. I 100% want this to happen.
Highsmith isn't franchised yet, so an extension would most likely increase his cap hit this year based on signing bonus.

Excellent work as always @steelers1080

I think it would be wise to be careful with restructuring TJ and Cam because the more you kick the can down the road, the more that cap hit will grow higher later. This is not a team in a win-now mode, and they should be thinking more long term.

Steelers signed Isaac Seumalo. PFF had him as the 4th best reigning FA, and PFN had him at #3

3) Isaac Seumalo, G​

Isaac Seumalo has struggled to stay on the field because of injuries throughout his seven-year career. The former third-round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft has experience at both guard spots during his time with Philadelphia but had a career year blocking on the right side between Lane Johnson and Jason Kelce.
While on the surface it may seem like anyone could accomplish that task, Seumalo isn’t a scrub set between two Hall of Fame players. He’s a strong, consistent blocker who has only been held back because of injuries in 2020 and 2021.

ESPN
A technically sound blocker at 6-foot-4, 303 pounds, Seumalo has the foot quickness to redirect defenders. He has the body control to wrestle back against power rushers and create a firm base in the pocket. He had a pass block win rate of 93.6% last season, which ranked 15th among all guards, and his 72.6% run block win rate ranked 20th.

https://twitter.com/TheHonestNFL/status/1637290374254174209
https://twitter.com/TheHonestNFL
@TheHonestNFL

Isaac Seumalo is going to be a valuable addition for Pickett. Few linemen in the NFL can see the play happening and diagnose intent before the ball is ever snapped like he can, and one of them just happened to play next to him so he rarely got the credit he deserved.

If you watch the EZ copy of their film without the noise distracting from the play, you can see Isaac was sorting out front looks almost as much as Kelce did. He's an excellent technician & great mover in space, but his football IQ is his greatest asset and what makes him unique.

I have no idea what they are doing. Interior OL is so far down the priority for team building and is not really an issue. High priced 30 year old free agents are really not a smart move

I have no idea what they are doing. Interior OL is so far down the priority for team building and is not really an issue. High priced 30 year old free agents are really not a smart move
Weidl appears to be putting emphasis on high football IQ players and winning in the trenches. Trying to build an Eagles model taking advantage of rookie contract QB.

Broderick Jones, Dawand Jones, and Darnell Wright fit that mold. Intelligent and extremely effective in the run game. Bring back a punishing line capable of taking over a game.

Hearing the like Banks more than Porter.
Interesting. Thought the Steelers wanted cornerbacks who can play press man to disrupt timing. Banks is fast, fluid and very good tackler. Cover 3 ace with good vision too.

Kelee Ringo is another top notch cover 3 corner.

Interesting. Thought the Steelers wanted cornerbacks who can play press man to disrupt timing. Banks is fast, fluid and very good tackler. Cover 3 ace with good vision too.

Kelee Ringo is another top notch cover 3 corner.

Who knows. Information has been 50-50 of late. But that Seumalo signing was precise.
Your information is excellent and trumps my gut 100. Thank you for sharing @Leeroy Jenkins

Doesn't surprise me. I think Banks will be more versatile. Porter is very talented, but I think the main reason people tied him to the Steelers was just because of his father.

With the deep CB class it wouldn't shock me if they waited til 32 to pick one, but likewise, they could just use this opportunity to double dip at 1 and a later pick.

Porter is way better than Banks on the field. I would be shocked if they took Banks over Porter, but Porter is 50/50 at best to be there at 17. Banks is a likely pick.

There are a lot of corners in this class, but there is a huge drop after Porter/Witherspoon/Gonzalez and Banks is ahead of everyone else by a bit

Mock Draft Season Continues:

17. Joey Porter, Jr. - CB, PSU
32. Anton Harrison - OT, OK (could have gone Dawand Jones here)
49. Jack Campbell - LB, Iowa (Simpson gone)
80. Nathanial Dell - WR, Houston
120. Moro Ojomo - DL, Texas
235. Ricky Stromberg - C, Arkansas
242. Brenton Strange - TE, PSU (thought about QB here -- Malik Cunningham)
Did a recent 3 round mock using a simulator with no trades and got:
17. Jalen Carter
32. Nolan Smith
49. Drew Sanders
80. Jaelyn Duncan

This doesn't address CB at all in a very strong CB class, but even with the poor pro-day workout and the off field issues, Jalen Carter alone makes this draft ridiculous (though incredibly improbable). Getting value on Smith, Sanders, and Duncan is just icing on the cake. Addressing DL, OLB, ILB, and OT in the first 4 picks would make me happy (if it was these players), even if we miss out on CB.
Carter will be available at 17 if he is facing felony charges. Smith would be a great pick at 32, but not likely to get that far. Sanders is way too skinny to play mlb in Pittsburgh. Duncan's upside is Dan Moore.

Sanders is way too skinny to play mlb in Pittsburgh
he is, but he played this season at 20 years old (turned 21 on 12/31/22) he may very well develop into his grown man body over the next couple years.

although Sanders is not nearly as fast and powerful, interestingly, Micah Parsons also had his breakout season at age 20. here's how their #'s compare.

Tackles Tklsforloss Sacks PassDef FF Int G
109 14 5 5 4 - 13 Parsons
103 13.5 9.5 5 3 1 12 Sanders (in the SEC)

i like him. he doesn't have to start this year. sorry, had that formatted real pretty but it changed when posted.

Steelers signed Isaac Seumalo. PFF had him as the 4th best reigning FA, and PFN had him at #3

3) Isaac Seumalo, G​

Isaac Seumalo has struggled to stay on the field because of injuries throughout his seven-year career. The former third-round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft has experience at both guard spots during his time with Philadelphia but had a career year blocking on the right side between Lane Johnson and Jason Kelce.
While on the surface it may seem like anyone could accomplish that task, Seumalo isn’t a scrub set between two Hall of Fame players. He’s a strong, consistent blocker who has only been held back because of injuries in 2020 and 2021.
He will be missed in Philly for sure. Guy is under-rated and an OL with high IQ. O Lu reason eagles didn’t re-sign him is because they drafted OL last year and it would have been bad to have him sit on the bench for 2 years in a row and waste his rookie contract.

Only down side I would say is don’t look forward to his interviews. Guy hates talking with media (not in a mean way, just isn’t his thing at all)

3) Isaac Seumalo, G​

He will be missed in Philly for sure. Guy is under-rated and an OL with high IQ. O Lu reason eagles didn’t re-sign him is because they drafted OL last year and it would have been bad to have him sit on the bench for 2 years in a row and waste his rookie contract.

Only down side I would say is don’t look forward to his interviews. Guy hates talking with media (not in a mean way, just isn’t his thing at all)
Thanks for the info. The media thing probably isn’t a big deal because I’m not sure how often an offensive lineman is talking to the media anyways

3) Isaac Seumalo, G​

Thanks for the info. The media thing probably isn’t a big deal because I’m not sure how often an offensive lineman is talking to the media anyways
yeah it is more of a funny thing with him. Teammates all loved him, and it probably became a bit of a story with a guy like Kelce on the team to compare to.

Broncos removed tender from Corliss Waitman after signing the Rams punter. I think the Steelers should definitely bring him in to compete with Harvin again. That could be an easy upgrade.

If the top 3 tackles are gone, I think it is Banks or Addison at #17 . . . .
You think Addison and not JSN?

Sounds like they like Addison. They are looking to make some trades potentially, including trading down from 17.
Thumbs up for the info and really like the trade down consideration. Better to slide back for more picks if the high value targets aren’t there.

Addison for Pickett would make my head explode. The best we can do at 17 is a 170 lb receiver with 21 drops in two seasons with KP? He’s not physical so a liability in run support. Great route runner but only with a free release. This is the polar opposite of what the team needs. Please trade back or “reach” for anyone in the trenches.

Throwing another first round pick away to chase down the Pickett rabbit hole makes me cringe. Team needs to build up the trenches. So many better options.

Branch from Alabama.
Addison would be even more stupid than Burns or Bush as a first rd pick.
This comment is clearly from someone who does not remember Artie Burns, or has some rose colored glasses. You're projecting that Addison won't even be able to start or contribute to this team in any meaningful manner? Addison would AT WORST be WR3, probably WR2 in 2024 if we don't re-sign Diontae, which is still a starter. You could make the argument about Bush, maybe, but Burns? C'mon.

You think Addison and not JSN?

Sounds like they like Addison. They are looking to make some trades potentially, including trading down from 17.
It sounds like all the QBs will be well gone before 17 at this point. What are people going to be trading up for? Best guess is maybe WR, Edge, or CB? I think a trade down into the 20's nets us an extra 3rd at best, but if it causes us to miss out on one of the top CBs or OTs I'd be surprised if they accept.

Also, this is a real weak S class, lots of Steelers fans seem sold on Branch after Edmunds announced he's leaving, but I'd pass on the best S in a bad class. Take a top 3-5 player in a strong class at CB instead.

Any thoughts on Forbes? He's undersized but was a big playmaker in college. Could be good or could be senquez golson 2.0...

Branch from Alabama.

I agree.

All I can say is that I hope some of the stuff I am hearing turns out to be wrong. There was a trade for ramsay that I was told about that was way more valuable than what the Rams got for him -- so not everything that I am hearing is accurate. But other things have been right on point.

Edmunds and Sims signed very cheap contracts. Looks like Edmunds 1-year contract is less than he made last year with the Steelers. I guess either the team wanted to move on, or the players wanted a change in scenery.

Also, I don't think I've heard it many places, but I wonder if Peterson could be used partially as Edmunds replacement. He was used as a roamer last year and created a lot of turnovers. Most of the Steelers talking heads are now fixated on Branch. Is Branch a great player? I've heard a lot that the safety class this year is not good, and that he looks like a nickel/free safety, which Minkah is already our Free Safety.

I'm still more convinced that the Steelers go CB/OT/Linebacker in the 1st, Outside or Inside. If Jalen Carter reaches 9, could AW convince the rest to trade up in front of Philly? He's got character concerns, but it feels like if anyone could help him become the best player/man he could be, it would be Cam & Tomlin.

Brian Branch is the outlier at safety with a high first round grade. Knocks, he is not the fastest or most athletic. He shines near the LOS. Leader, instinctive, savvy, versatile and a tackling machine. Fearless tackler. Would make a great chess piece on defense and free up Minkah to focus more on coverage. Fits right in with the recent FA signings. Cerebral, instinctive and leadership qualities

Branch would make a great pick at 17.

Brian Branch is the outlier at safety with a high first round grade. Knocks, he is not the fastest or most athletic. He shines near the LOS. Leader, instinctive, savvy, versatile and a tackling machine. Fearless tackler. Would make a great chess piece on defense and free up Minkah to focus more on coverage. Fits right in with the recent FA signings. Cerebral, instinctive and leadership qualities

Branch would make a great pick at 17.
Thanks, I just kept hearing how the safety class was weak and no real positives about Branch other than, Safety gone we need a new safety.

If top 3 CB or OT is there, still feels like a greater need to me, but wouldn't hate the pick if all that is true.

My guess is that our first rounder is either Broderick Jones, Banks, or Addison, depending on how the draft falls and any pre-draft or draft-day trades.

Tomlin comments can be interpreted as Banks being a target. Peterson is the perfect mentor for grooming a young cornerback.
My guess is that our first rounder is either Broderick Jones, Banks, or Addison, depending on how the draft falls and any pre-draft or draft-day trades.

Steelers to Go on YouTube

ESPN Banks description
“If you were drafting on traits and the belief you can develop a cornerback ... Banks is your guy," said one NFC scout. "He's the fastest of the Round 1 guys, but he has really good size and really good quickness." …

"The lack of production bothers you a little bit, and he's more of a speed guy than a technician right now, but his upside is super high," said another NFC scout. Banks is expected to come off the board somewhere between pick No. 20 and the end of the first round.

Branch from Alabama.
This comment is clearly from someone who does not remember Artie Burns, or has some rose colored glasses. You're projecting that Addison won't even be able to start or contribute to this team in any meaningful manner? Addison would AT WORST be WR3, probably WR2 in 2024 if we don't re-sign Diontae, which is still a starter. You could make the argument about Bush, maybe, but Burns? C'mon.
No, it would be as stupid a pick. Steelers need Addison zero percent, Burns was a stupid pick, for a different reason. If Addison was from Utah or Texas, no one would mention his name around Pittsburgh.

There are about 7 OT and CB combined I think they would love to have, maybe 8. Picking at 17 they should get one, or Branch at safety.

If people are so excited to get Addison, why not take Flowers, who is better? Why settle for a guy cause he played a Pitt?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread