What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (14 Viewers)

Monday morning musing.....I am a 50 year-old native Yinzer who was just an 11 month old infant the day of The Immaculate Reception.

The Steelers have always been my team. This waning season has been tough for me not to want to celebrate pointless victories such as the win over the Panthers.

For the players and a win like this, they get the growth opportunity that may have presented itself. For a fan like me, it was a drop in the 2023 draft.

I have never rooted for the Steelers to lose yet find myself rationalizing that these worthless wins outside of moral victories associated with a single game, they may be doing damage to the chance of a better draft position, and so I lament them. That has me feeling like a turncoat and ashamed of myself. Lol.

You always play to win. Let's hope the young Steelers team can keep learning and growing and improving. Let's hope we draft great players whatever our draft slot.

Here we go.

But having good draft slot does not mean the Steelers automatically make a great pick. We got great players like Heyward and Watt as late first rounders. So I do know that playing to win is always the right thing to do. And they always do that. I guess my last two posts here are more about my rooting interests.

I obviously understand the value of a higher draft pick and finishing last in the division but I still want to win. Playing around with the NFL Playoff Machine there is almost zero chance to make the playoffs but I do think it is important to finish on a high rather than faltering down the stretch.

As you said, there will be good players available wherever we finish up.

This is worst case scenario IMO- hurting the draft position but no closer to knowing if Pickett is the guy.

We got all of next season for that, IMO he's shown plenty enough already to secure his role next year and remove this team from the QB market this off-season.
We'll need a backup QB assuming we cut Trubisky and let Rudolph walk. But I think we'll sign someone to as cheap a contract as possible, or use a very late pick.

This is worst case scenario IMO- hurting the draft position but no closer to knowing if Pickett is the guy.

We got all of next season for that, IMO he's shown plenty enough already to secure his role next year and remove this team from the QB market this off-season.
We'll need a backup QB assuming we cut Trubisky and let Rudolph walk. But I think we'll sign someone to as cheap a contract as possible, or use a very late pick.
Agree, I should have specified the only QB market we'll be in is the backup one.

It's moot now that they won't be picking near the top but I completely disagree, Pickett has been pretty awful this year. Obviously he's a rookie so way too early to bury him, but you'd like to see a decent finish to the year. Hopefully he gets back in there and shows that, but right now there's very little reason for optimism.

It's moot now that they won't be picking near the top but I completely disagree, Pickett has been pretty awful this yea
Yeah I'm going to take a strong disagreement stance with you on this,.

For starters I don't think Pickett has played awful. Not in the least.

Secondly this QB class is just not that great again. If they had 1.1 they'd never pick a QB in this class.

It's moot now that they won't be picking near the top but I completely disagree, Pickett has been pretty awful this yea

Secondly this QB class is just not that great again. If they had 1.1 they'd never pick a QB in this class.
Well said. I'm in full agreement here.

Are they shutting Pickett down? It makes the decision to bench Pickens easier with Mitch “I only have eyes for 5 yards Diontae” Trubisky at QB

He has 4 passing TDs on the season. 4.

You're talking about a few different things- I agree that they weren't likely to take a QB early even if they ended up with a high pick, but that's because it would have meant them admitting a mistake and teams don't like to do that. This is just a hypothetical about what they should have done, but again, it's moot.

What has Pickett shown that gives any confidence that he can keep them out of the basement of a division with Burrow, Lamar, and Watson? Again, I know he's a rookie, but he's also a 24 yr old rookie who stayed in college for 5 years and was supposed to be the most NFL ready QB, and was able to sit the first few weeks of the season to get better acclimated. He hasn't been good.

Are they shutting Pickett down? It makes the decision to bench Pickens easier with Mitch “I only have eyes for 5 yards Diontae” Trubisky at QB
Pickens had 1 catch on 2 targets for 2 yards in a dream match up his last game with Pickett, I think it's a pretty easy decision to bench him either way.

Any Steeler honks here have some insight as to what happened with Freiermuth getting 0 targets and only running 17 routes? Still not 100% from his foot issue during last week?

Any Steeler honks here have some insight as to what happened with Freiermuth getting 0 targets and only running 17 routes? Still not 100% from his foot issue during last week?
The beat reporters are noting that he's still being limited by his foot. He only ran 17 routes, but I think it's probably also due to the very limited quantity of passes during this game. Trubisky threw for less than 180 yards.

I'd expect him to have more yards next week, but wouldn't anticipate a big game.

R.I.P. Franco. Thanks for all you did for the Steelers and Pittsburgh community.

:crying:
From all accounts, a great person.

Penn State had Franco and Lydell Mitchell (sadly, kind of forgotten - but a really good RB in the NFL) in the same backfield.
Yeah, people forget that Mitchell was the "star" of that backfield and was the one PSU was pushing for the Heisman (he finished 5th in the voting). Those of us who were at the PSU/Pitt game that year, though, went home wondering why and hoping the Steelers would take Franco instead.

Franco, nooooo.
:crying:

Re: Mitchell/Harris...I recall hearing an anecdote way back about the Steelers reaching out to Paterno to get intel on both PSU backs that year. "Legend" goes(paraphrasing here) that Joe Pa told them "You need a guy to run through a brick wall? Mitchell will run right through it for you. Harris though...he's going to count the bricks while he's running toward wall, find the weakest one, and knock the wall down."

So many awesome memories of #32. First "jersey" I ever owned. "Super Donuts", etc, etc.

This also it's forcing me to consider... the rest of the Steeler Legends are all probably going to start slipping off relatively soon. When The Meanest One goes I am going to be inconsolable. 😢😢😢

Steelers are 3-point favorites against the Raiders. It's going to be bitter cold, something the Raiders aren't used to, and I'm wondering if the loss of Franco may serve as inspiration for the home team.

Both teams stink and it could go either way but I'll predict Steelers - 20, Raiders - 17

The defense played out if their mind last night. Yes Carr was awful but they made some incredible plays (in particular the secondary). The offense was bad as usual. Is Tomlin or Canada calling the plays? I can’t believe how predictable the play calling is. It’s flat out embarrassing. Pickett was bad most of the game but that last drive was beautiful. That’s what you like to see in a rookie. I’ve also been more impressed with Najee of late. Nice win even though playoffs cos likely over.

The defense played out if their mind last night. Yes Carr was awful but they made some incredible plays (in particular the secondary). The offense was bad as usual. Is Tomlin or Canada calling the plays? I can’t believe how predictable the play calling is. It’s flat out embarrassing. Pickett was bad most of the game but that last drive was beautiful. That’s what you like to see in a rookie. I’ve also been more impressed with Najee of late. Nice win even though playoffs cos likely over.
Canada is awful but I will say the play to end the game was a nice call and totally unexpected

I had a random thought watching Dobbs last night and it was when was the last QB drafted by the Steelers to take snaps for another team? Was it Brian St. Pierre from the 2003 draft or am I missing someone?

Anyway I thought of this in the context of this team has by and large is not very good at drafting QB's in the last 20 something years other then Ben, with the jury still out on Pickett.

Other than Rudolph, has any qb they drafted '04-'21 been higher that a 5th?

Dixon, Jones, Jacobs, Dobbs were all 5ths, I think. Rudolph SHOULD have been one too. Am I forgetting someone?

Career starts for Dobbs, Jones, Dixon, Jacobs (combined 9 total seasons): 9

Career starts by Mason Rudolph (4 total seasons): 10

Career starts by undrafted Devlin Phillips (1 season): 6

If this team somehow manages to make the playoffs, are they actually equipped to pull off a massive upset? The defense has Watt back and can now disrupt any offense. They seem to have a QB who can make big time plays when needed. We have a running game to keep the other offense off the field. We have a boring offensive game plan designed to limit mistakes and kill clock. They’re not going to blow anyone out but they could win a nail biter. Unfortunately they still need a lot of help to get in.

Steelers really were in every game other than Bills and Eagles. Team isn’t as far away as the record looks.
They're ~24th in point differential, it's a better argument that they're farther away than the record looks.
Not at all. They were blown out in 2 games. Watt was absent in both of those games. They’re a complete different defense with Watt on the field.
So? They've won games by 3, 2, 3, 3, and 3. You can't just say those were all sure things and "only if" they won some of the close games, they've won more of them than they've lost.

Steelers really were in every game other than Bills and Eagles. Team isn’t as far away as the record looks.
They're ~24th in point differential, it's a better argument that they're farther away than the record looks.
Not at all. They were blown out in 2 games. Watt was absent in both of those games. They’re a complete different defense with Watt on the field.
So? They've won games by 3, 2, 3, 3, and 3. You can't just say those were all sure things and "only if" they won some of the close games that they lost.
When did I say “only if” they had won some close games? You brought up point differential. I brought up that the point differential was driven by 2 games against great teams where the Steelers didn’t have one of the best defensive players in the league. Every other game has been close. They’re not at all far from being a pretty good team (especially if Pickett keeps maturing).

Buffalo should have a lot to play for next week so I can see them beating the Pats. I do think the Steelers will also win. I’m nervous about the Dolphins game. Jets look awful.

If this team somehow manages to make the playoffs, are they actually equipped to pull off a massive upset? The defense has Watt back and can now disrupt any offense. They seem to have a QB who can make big time plays when needed. We have a running game to keep the other offense off the field. We have a boring offensive game plan designed to limit mistakes and kill clock. They’re not going to blow anyone out but they could win a nail biter. Unfortunately they still need a lot of help to get in.
If they manage to make the playoffs they will very likely be a one and done. They just aren’t effective in the red zone.

That said if they win next week and finish 7-2 after starting 2-6 I’ll be pretty happy even if they don’t make the playoffs

Yeah seems the jets have checked out but miami looks bad to. Regardless, it looks like Steelers have a nice core In place with Pickett, Harris, Friermuth, Pickens. Feels better than earlier in the season

Users who are viewing this thread