What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (1 Viewer)

Here is a question.. If a team came to you with a boat load of picks, including multiple first for Watt, would you do it?

Foe me, it be hard, but there are reasons to do it. Watt's injury history and the fact this D sucks with him and probably needs a total overhaul.
Watt is the heart and soul of this team. I would find it really hard to trade Watt, even for a 1st in 2023 & 2024.

Steelers Depot View attachment 3169View attachment 3170 @Steelersdepot
The Steelers have now allowed 50 explosive plays of 20 yards or longer, second-most in NFL. Last season they allowed 68, per @Stathead. #Steelers #NFL

Alex Kozora@Alex_Kozora
Steelers starting CBs yesterday:
Cam Sutton - 103.1 QB rating
against Arthur Maulet - 154.5 QB rating
against Levi Wallace - Allowed two 30+ yard catches
Steelers' corners haven't played well enough this year. Bunch of #2's, no #1's. #Steelers
Alex Kozora@Alex_Kozora
The Steelers are 0-3 in the last three games they've scored 30+ points. #Steelers 37-30 loss to Bengals (Sunday) 41-37 loss to Chargers (2021) 48-37 loss to Browns (2020 Wild Card)

Yes we know the Steelers CBs suck. In other late breaking news: water is wet.

I would take this Mock Draft:

Steelers reportedly traded their 6th rnd pick to Denver for Reed and a 7th, so you gotta question this guys credibility.

also, no problem with OL on first 2 picks, but both Fashanu at #8 and Schmitz at #34 may be a little early according to current rankings i've seen.

but mocks are fun.

Here is a question.. If a team came to you with a boat load of picks, including multiple first for Watt, would you do it?

Foe me, it be hard, but there are reasons to do it. Watt's injury history and the fact this D sucks with him and probably needs a total overhaul.
I'm probably not interested. Draft picks are crap shoots, even in the 1st round. If we still suck at the end of next season, I would be more interested but it would have to be ridiculous. Like a combo of the Russel Wilson/Trey Lance trades; something like three 1sts and a 2nd or two. Most likely more than any team would give up for a non-QB.

Things will change a ton between now and April 2023, but that has us taking the #22 consensus prospect at #8. We've got enough holes that we should go BPA instead of reaching for a need.

I'd much rather go CB/DL/WR in the 1st as long as we were getting a top 8 player at pick 8. Take OL in the 2nd+ or sign FAs, we can't afford a reach in 2023 after reaches in 2021 and 2022...

I only made it 2 picks.

I love Olu, but that is way too high. His upside is there, but he is a risky pick. 1 year experience.

Schmitz is a reach at 2. Drafting for need is how you fail in the NFL and C isn't a top 10 need on this team

That "win" last week dropped them from the #2 pick to #8/9 right now. Ouch.
They're probably going to win another 3-4 games. This team will be attempting to win every game and putting up a fight, such as it is. It's probably going to be the worst outcome for the future. Good enough to not draft top 8, bad enough to not even sniff the playoffs.

I think the only way we draft top 5 is if Watt gets hurt again. Hopefully if we're going to win we at least have some sweet upsets down the stretch, like beating the Ravens.

I'll go out on a limb and say they go 4-3 the rest of the way, finishing at 7-10. This would probably have them picking somewhere in the 8-10 range, too late for OT Peter Skoronski but could get OT Paris Johnson from Ohio State. It wouldn't shock anyone if they took Joey Porter Jr.

They're probably going to win another 3-4 games. This team will be attempting to win every game and putting up a fight, such as it is. It's probably going to be the worst outcome for the future. Good enough to not draft top 8, bad enough to not even sniff the playoffs.

I think the only way we draft top 5 is if Watt gets hurt again. Hopefully if we're going to win we at least have some sweet upsets down the stretch, like beating the Ravens.

I'll go out on a limb and say they go 4-3 the rest of the way, finishing at 7-10. This would probably have them picking somewhere in the 8-10 range, too late for OT Peter Skoronski but could get OT Paris Johnson from Ohio State. It wouldn't shock anyone if they took Joey Porter Jr.
As someone who (apparently, stupidly) bet the over 7.5 wins before the season, I'd really appreciate 8. I think most likely we end up with 6 wins beating the Colts, Panthers, and splitting with the Ravens. 6 wins typically winds up being around pick 8-10.

I'm really hoping that Omar bucks the trend of reaching for players. Based on the last 2 drafts we'll take OL no matter what, even if we're reaching 10+ spots to do it and we'll bypass BPA who will go on to be a stud.

Last edited:
The last 5 drafts have been craptastic, so Khan doesn't have to do much to improve the trend. Team has a boatload of spots to address, and they have to decide what to do with the 3 defensive players that will account for over $60 mil against the cap. The defense stinks, so that investment is an absolute waste.

As someone who (apparently, stupidly) bet the over 7.5 wins before the season, I'd really appreciate 8. I think most likely we end up with 6 wins beating the Colts, Panthers, and splitting with the Ravens. 6 wins typically winds up being around pick 8-10.

I'm really hoping that Omar bucks the trend of reaching for players. Based on the last 2 drafts we'll take OL no matter what, even if we're reaching 10+ spots to do it and we'll bypass BPA who will go on to be a stud.
We also have games @Falcons and at home with the Browns

We also have games @Falcons and at home with the Browns
Oh, I know. I think we lose those 2 most likely. I don't think we beat all 3 of the Colts/Falcons/Panthers, so I just picked us to lose to the Falcons because it just sounds like a game where we let up a weird ST touchdown. And the Browns with Deshaun is a crapshoot, but their run game is still great.

The last 5 drafts have been craptastic, so Khan doesn't have to do much to improve the trend. Team has a boatload of spots to address, and they have to decide what to do with the 3 defensive players that will account for over $60 mil against the cap. The defense stinks, so that investment is an absolute waste.
I'm not sure they've been "craptastic" because we have gotten some great players/values out of them, but they have not been consistently great. We had to let some talent walk over the past few years due to cap issues and we should have addressed OL instead of RB in the 1st (as most fans noted).

Hopefully Khan has some tricks up his sleeve and this draft goes BPA so we can get some values. Yes, we need to build the left side of the O-line, and we need to improve our DL/ILB/CB, and probably get an OLB to replace Highsmith assuming we can't afford him after next season. So, there's a lot to fix. But please don't reach for a 3rd draft in a row and just take OL to take OL.

There are zero high impact players currently on this team since the 2018 draft. Some of them are backup material, and some are practice material at best. Some flashed and disappeared. They still have some solid players, but not anyone "great" at all. One would expect more out of the 38 players chosen since that draft.

2022_Pickens shows the most promise from this year in a skills sense, but my worry with him is mental. I would have passed on Pickett for McDuffie or Linderbaum.

2021_Najee has a Trent Richardson feel about him, Pat F was a wasted pick with Creed available, and Kendrick Green stinks. They got some backup play from Dan Moore but the problem is he's their starter.

2020_Chase flashed his rookie season and then went on to tell us he's the 3rd best WR, Highsmith is solid but only appears when Watt is on the other side, and Dotson has regressed.

2019_ DJ has shown flashes of nice catches and drops. How they floundered away 8 out of 9 draft picks is anyone's guess.

2018_Okarafor their best pick in the 3rd round. Edmunds solid, but not a first round value at all.

This is a really interesting chart. Provides great visual evidence to easily compare/contrast each team.
---------------------------------------------
Sebastian @mrcaseb
posted a chart showing Vikings point differential by game minute. I "zoomed in" a little and computed it by game second for all teams. There is so much to see in this chart, I love it. Data: #nflverse
LINK

Lot of good results today for the Steelers as far as draft position goes. 3 of the 3 win teams won and the Bears lost. And as an added bonus for Patriot haters like me, every game went against them In their hopes for a playoff push.

Lot of good results today for the Steelers as far as draft position goes. 3 of the 3 win teams won and the Bears lost. And as an added bonus for Patriot haters like me, every game went against them In their hopes for a playoff push.
We just need to do our part and lose tomorrow! This is the first season in a long time where I am legitimately rooting for this team to keep losing.

We just need to do our part and lose tomorrow! This is the first season in a long time where I am legitimately rooting for this team to keep losing.
If we lose to Jeff Saturday's Colts that would be really sad. Better for our draft, but just a sad state of affairs.

I still think we win, and that Tomlin points to the Ravens loss to the Jags and their poor performance against the Panthers as bulletin board material.

I'm probably not interested. Draft picks are crap shoots, even in the 1st round. If we still suck at the end of next season, I would be more interested but it would have to be ridiculous. Like a combo of the Russel Wilson/Trey Lance trades; something like three 1sts and a 2nd or two. Most likely more than any team would give up for a non-QB.
You'd have thought that the Khalil Mack to the Bears trade would have soured those types of deals (Mutiple firsts for a defensive player) for a long time, but hello Jamal Adams.

It just never seems to work out when teams trade multiple firsts for a defensive player (probably going all the way back to Wilbur Marshall to the Skins er....Commanders)

I know a loss will result in a higher 2023 pick but I can't do it.
Go Steelers :towelwave:

Agreed. I'd hate to see the Steelers tank. It's not what they're about and its one of the things that separates them from the garbage franchises. The goal should be to win. Always.

Agreed. I'd hate to see the Steelers tank. It's not what they're about and its one of the things that separates them from the garbage franchises. The goal should be to win. Always.
I'm not saying they should tank. I'm just saying that as a fan, I want what's best for the organization. That would be to continue to lose and start to rebuild the team with talented players. Yes I know winning is almost always a good thing but drafting in the top 5 vs top 15 could be very important to get this team back to the glory days.

I'm not saying they should tank. I'm just saying that as a fan, I want what's best for the organization. That would be to continue to lose and start to rebuild the team with talented players. Yes I know winning is almost always a good thing but drafting in the top 5 vs top 15 could be very important to get this team back to the glory days.
Has tanking worked for any team in the NFL? Legitimately curious.

The Colts basically tanked for Luck, and that worked out by winning them games, but they never won a SB because of it.
The Browns seemed to tank for years to get many high picks, but they still can string together winning seasons.
The Texans and Miami tried to tank but their coaches wouldn't let them.

I'm sure there's probably plenty of stories of NFL teams that lost 1-2 games at the end of the year and it moved them way up in the draft, I just couldn't readily think of any.

I think one important aspect of winning is that it would demonstrate that maybe the team isn’t that far off from being competitive. The other aspect of course is that it’s always a good thing when your young franchise QB is winning. But I hope we are able to find a way to get a true playmaker or 2 in this draft.

Why wait until 2023 to make the switch at OC? I can't fully blame Canada (although he's been bad as usual) for tonight because the offense is apparently devoid of any ability to make a clutch play. Pickett started off ok but has been bad (very bad) in the 2nd half. PIckens has also been bad in the 2nd half. The running game has disappeared in the 2nd half. The team is a complete mess.

This drive pickett has looked good — but a te screen to the slowest guy on the team and a shovel to watt?? Come on.
The shovel to Watt wasn't a great play but it was the offensive line that messed it up. Had the blocking held up it might have worked. Agree the screen to Snell was very unlikely to result in a 1st down. On the plus side the run blocking has been much improved and Pickett didn't turn the ball over but they still are reluctant to go vertical.

Certainly not a great game but they got a come from behind win on the road with a rookie QB. I think this is about as good as it going to get this season.

Wins have not been common this year so that was pretty fun to see, though the 2nd half was atrocious. Our offense is too predictable but at this point it seems like Canada's replacement won't happen mid-season. If they promote Sullivan to OC or God forbid keep Canada next season, the fans might have to revolt. If I can predict the play a majority of the time, there's serious issues. Every single time we had a successful run on 1st down, Canada would dial up a very similar run for 2nd down, and it failed 100% of the time. That lead us to 3rd and short which we almost never successfully converted. If it's 3rd and 1, just do a Kenny sneak, they have been successful every time.

Also, Najee has to be hurt this whole season and should be benched for at least 1 game to recover, if not put on IR. If Snell and MacFarland can look that much better than him, not to mention Warren, he must be dealing with some issues. Let him get fully healthy, a hobbled starting RB isn't helping the team.

A very winnable game against the Falcons next week, hopefully we actually see some 2nd half offense.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-path-to-making-kenny-pickett-a-franchise-qb

Mostly about Pickett, but the telling part to me is how players on multiple teams now are saying they know exactly what plays are coming. Truly amazing how Canada still has a job.

IMO Pickett has been less-bad, but still has a long way to go to inspire much confidence that he's the future. Of course he's being completely hamstrung by the coaching, but there's a chance it's because they know he can't really handle a more aggressive/complex offense right now.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-path-to-making-kenny-pickett-a-franchise-qb

Mostly about Pickett, but the telling part to me is how players on multiple teams now are saying they know exactly what plays are coming. Truly amazing how Canada still has a job.

IMO Pickett has been less-bad, but still has a long way to go to inspire much confidence that he's the future. Of course he's being completely hamstrung by the coaching, but there's a chance it's because they know he can't really handle a more aggressive/complex offense right now.
Apparently Pickett is who called the Benny Snell touchdown play. Canada has to go.

Why wait until 2023 to make the switch at OC? I can't fully blame Canada (although he's been bad as usual) for tonight because the offense is apparently devoid of any ability to make a clutch play. Pickett started off ok but has been bad (very bad) in the 2nd half. PIckens has also been bad in the 2nd half. The running game has disappeared in the 2nd half. The team is a complete mess.

Why? The steelers, mainly Tomlin, dont want to deal with a new OC during the season. I think its that simple. I am not sure Canada gets fired at seasons end. I think the steelers finish around 8-9, and look decent down the stretch vs some bad teams. 4-2 in their last 6 is not out of reach. To have a reason to keep Canada and also have a mid round draft pick would be worse than going 4-13. It would really be a disaster.

Why? The steelers, mainly Tomlin, dont want to deal with a new OC during the season. I think its that simple. I am not sure Canada gets fired at seasons end. I think the steelers finish around 8-9, and look decent down the stretch vs some bad teams. 4-2 in their last 6 is not out of reach. To have a reason to keep Canada and also have a mid round draft pick would be worse than going 4-13. It would really be a disaster.
If Tomlin says he wants to keep Canada after the season, and tries to bring him into 2023, he should be fired because he's lost touch with reality. Khan and Rooney would have to talk and just say this man has lost it and clearly does not understand what it will take to win.

That said, I think Canada gets fired. I don't see him changing in any meaningful way down the stretch, even if we win games.

There was talk today in the local paper, from the steelers insider, about dont be shocked if Canada is back next year.
I won't be shocked. Actually got to thinking about it while watching the MNF game and started to think about if things continue on their current path good shot he's back.

I've been wanting Canada to go as well, still do, but if you step back and maybe re-analyze it you see that Canada was tasked at first with trying to work around Ben's limitations and after that gets Trubisky/rookie QB and a revamped OL light on blue chips. Got off to a rough start. But that rookie QB seems to be improving weekly as well as the running game actually gelling the last few weeks makes it's hard to say the offense has not progressed positively even if the points are not in droves. I think the ROS will continue to be an evaluation time for Canada's future with the team but if they continue to stay on the path of improvement it becomes easy to see why changing the system, having Pickett need to learn a new system, is not a road they want to go down.

There was talk today in the local paper, from the steelers insider, about dont be shocked if Canada is back next year.
I won't be shocked. Actually got to thinking about it while watching the MNF game and started to think about if things continue on their current path good shot he's back.

I've been wanting Canada to go as well, still do, but if you step back and maybe re-analyze it you see that Canada was tasked at first with trying to work around Ben's limitations and after that gets Trubisky/rookie QB and a revamped OL light on blue chips. Got off to a rough start. But that rookie QB seems to be improving weekly as well as the running game actually gelling the last few weeks makes it's hard to say the offense has not progressed positively even if the points are not in droves. I think the ROS will continue to be an evaluation time for Canada's future with the team but if they continue to stay on the path of improvement it becomes easy to see why changing the system, having Pickett need to learn a new system, is not a road they want to go down.
Even if the players' individual play improves, his active play calling is so damn bad, aka predictable. Opponents being able to guess our play calls on a regular basis is a problem, and if Tomlin can't see that hopefully Khan can.

Canada's offense is objectively badly designed. It is out of touch with modern football. It is beyond predictable. He has to go.

Canada's offense is objectively badly designed. It is out of touch with modern football. It is beyond predictable. He has to go.
Agreed. There is no conceivable reason to bring him back. Well I guess maybe if they suddenly start pulling 30 points a game from now until the end of the season then yes by all means bring him back. When several other opposing players are making comments like "we know the play before it's even happening", you have a big problem with the coordinator.

Agreed. There is no conceivable reason to bring him back. Well I guess maybe if they suddenly start pulling 30 points a game from now until the end of the season then yes by all means bring him back. When several other opposing players are making comments like "we know the play before it's even happening", you have a big problem with the coordinator.

This is the alarming part for me. Every OC is going to call some bad plays from time to time but when other teams can easily gameplan your offense and know which plays are coming, you've got big problems.

I would argue that even if we score over 30 points in 4 of our final 6 games, we should not bring back Canada because we are going to play some of the worst teams in the NFL. They might skew the #s. The Falcons, Panthers, and Raiders have allowed a lot of points against opponents this year.

Offense moved the ball at will most of the game but have serious issues inside the red-zone. Nice game for Najee -- the running game has been much improved but wondering how much of that has been the opponents they are playing vs the offensive line starting to gel. Maybe both?

Diontae Johnson targeted 11 times but had some key drops. Pickens inexplicitly targeted only twice and was quite vocal about it. I understand the frustration but I hope this doesn't become a regular thing with him.

Defense was so-so against a pretty bad offense but London looks to be legit WR. Great read by Minkah to end the game.

Ravens at home next week. It looks like there is a pretty good chance that LaMar Jackson may not be able to play. I recall their backup Huntley being decent.

Lamar Jackson likely to miss next week's matchup between the Ravens and Steelers.

Team of Destiny?

Would have been sweet for the Bengals and Ravens to lose last week, but they still have some tough opponents ahead.

They should thank Mariota and the refs. Maulet mugged London in the EZ for an easy DPI, and Mariota had wide open WRs all game long, yet kept slinging high balls under zero pressure.

Pickens and AB will release a rap video in the future at some point. He is still the headcase he was in College. Needs to be addressed.

I’ve seen very few #1 alpha type wideouts not grumble when they don’t get looks. Fair argument to say that Pickens hasn’t earned that yet. I agree. But he has the talent of one. I’m betting he’s right

Users who are viewing this thread