What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (3 Viewers)

My concern is this helps set up Ravens as most likely opponent in round one and that's the one team I would hope they could avoid.
Only if the Dolphins beat the Bills.  In any other scenario where the Browns beat the Steelers in Week 17  the two teams will be re-matched in week 1 of the playoffs.

Only if the Dolphins beat the Bills.
Thanks, that's my concern actually which I guess is not shared by most.

I'm probably overthinking it but when Steelers sit Ben that just seems to me that it signals to the Bills that their game is not must win for seed 3 and maybe that contributes to Bills getting beaten off to a team that is truly coming into the game in a must win mindset.

Again probably overthinking it and I can't argue that resting Ben and possibly others is the right move.

Looking at the standings to try and figure out playoff scenarios and I noticed the Colts could go 11-5 and not make it even with 7 teams getting in this year. I guess they should have held on to that 17 point lead last week. 

Haden positive for COVID, will miss the next two games apparently.
Oh jeesh.  Not you guys too.  Hayden was a likely scratch for rest for Sunday but a positive case means a minimum of ten games.

If you have one positive now you have to worry about contact cases popping up connected to the positive case.  Browns are still getting hit and now you guys have a positive so expect a few contact cases.  Ugh.  

So why can't the NFL use a bubble?  I know the CBA would complain but if it were not mandatory and those that didn't participate would be easier to isolate from the rest of the team.  I mean the playoffs could come down to attrition from COVID and that would suck because their will be more cases.

So why can't the NFL use a bubble?  I know the CBA would complain but if it were not mandatory and those that didn't participate would be easier to isolate from the rest of the team.  I mean the playoffs could come down to attrition from COVID and that would suck because their will be more cases.
My thoughts exactly. I don’t follow NBA much but it seemed to work well for them.

Imagine if Mahomes were to test positive and had to miss two games.

Oh jeesh.  Not you guys too.  Hayden was a likely scratch for rest for Sunday but a positive case means a minimum of ten games.
Haden got the domestic violence Covid.

So why can't the NFL use a bubble?
To me the bigger question is why NFL teams are not simply being more proactive and doing stuff like buying out an entire hotel near the team facility. They can't make or enforce a player staying at the hotel but as far as I know nothing with the NFLPA is keeping teams from at least offering this option to players. I know Dallas did this early in the season, not sure if they are still doing but they own the hotel and the hotel is literally attached to their team facility, not every team would have this ideal but I'm sure every team can find a decent hotel to buy out.

I guess the counter argument to this type of setup, and it's valid, is that if you left all the players in a hotel they'd eventually co-mingle and I suppose that could lead to a greater outbreak then if they all went to their respective homes. This did not happen in the NBA of course but that was strictly monitored with penalties, this would be voluntary.

I thought the Steelers JV team did pretty well against the Browns. I’m not taking them lightly but I like our chances next week assuming there’s no major Covid issues,

I will say that I hope the officiating gets better in the playoffs

Steelers Browns Sunday night.

I was hoping for a different time so I could  have some beverages but looking forward to the game 

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the Steelers JV team did pretty well against the Browns. I’m not taking them lightly but I like our chances next week assuming there’s no major Covid issues,

I will say that I hope the officiating gets better in the playoffs
Only thing that worries me a little after last night is that it gives them the thought that Mason Rudolph can be a legit starter.  He was really good in 4th quarter but I think it was more Browns almost choking under pressure 

We definitely learned that Dobbs has no place here.  He is Kordell without the ability to throw the ball

As long as Ben holds off the turnovers I am confident in the wild card game.  

Steelers Browns Sunday night.

I was hoping for a different time so I could  have some beverages but looking forward to the game 
My New Years resolution is to limit myself to 6 drinks per week.  I was really, really hoping not to have to use one of them up on Sunday but now I may have to use all 6.  :cry:

I'm not nervous about this game but I'm also not confident.  It wouldn't surprise me one way or the other.  I think they're actually pretty equally matched.  The Steelers are still a one dimensional team on offense and if they can't get pressure on Mayfield, it's lights out with our secondary (especially sans Haden).  

I'm not nervous about this game but I'm also not confident.  It wouldn't surprise me one way or the other.  I think they're actually pretty equally matched.  The Steelers are still a one dimensional team on offense and if they can't get pressure on Mayfield, it's lights out with our secondary (especially sans Haden).  
I agree with this but based on yesterday I think the Steelers will get decent pressure on Mayfield.  My concern is the Browns running game.  We need to be able to keep that in check.

On offense the key will be to throw downfield. If Ben does that then the running and short passing game should open up.  If we just stick to dink and dunk all day we’re in trouble.

I agree with this but based on yesterday I think the Steelers will get decent pressure on Mayfield.  My concern is the Browns running game.  We need to be able to keep that in check.

On offense the key will be to throw downfield. If Ben does that then the running and short passing game should open up.  If we just stick to dink and dunk all day we’re in trouble.
Well the good thing is they finally adjusted against Indy in the 2nd half.  They need to continue that style even if it means Ben taking a few sacks

Couple thoughts...

Of all the possible wildcard match-ups CLE was best for Steelers. If they can load up on Chubb I don't see Mayfield making enough plays to beat them.

Alex Highsmith was all over the field yesterday. Nice performance against Jedrick Wills. Impressive work by Colbert & co to find 3 high impact rookies after the first round on a division winning team.

We just need the Browns to think we might pass it more than 5 yards down field. That will allow the underneath pass and run lanes to stay open, and every once in a while allow for a deep completion. I really hope we win the toss and defer, because I have 0 confidence we can sustain a drive to open the game. 

With Watt and Heyward back in, hopefully our run defense will be a bit more stout than it was last Sunday. 

If we lose, I think it's because we lose the turnover differential and because Fichtner calls another terrible game plan. 

Stefanski + 2 more Browns players test positive. Facilities closed

Sucks for the Browns, hopefully no one else turns positive for either team.

Looks like we're getting Spillane and Feiler back. I think that we should definitely use Spillane if he's fully healthy (partially because I think we have a higher chance of resigning him this offseason, and because while AW has improved, he's still not as integrated IMO). I'm not so sure we should lose Feiler. Just via the eye test, it looks like our offensive line has been much improved since Dotson took over (at least at his position, Big Al has sucked). He's been solid in 1 on 1 blocking, and I'm real hesitant to go back, especially since he's also returning next year and Feiler isn't a certainty. I'm just not sure Feiler is an improvement at this point, especially if he's not 100%, just keep him activated as a backup. 

Does anyone know if all the Positive Browns players from last week will be back this week? Our opportunities against the Browns will suffer if Ward is back in the lineup. 

Lastly, it looks like Vince Williams and Alualu missed practice yesterday due to injury, hopefully it was more precautionary than 100% necessary. 

In other news, rumors are already flying that Watson might want out from the Texans if they don't hire a coach he likes and that the Steelers could be trade partners. First, I 100% don't think this will happen. But, surprisingly, we could afford it (cap-wise). Watson has a very friendly cap hit next year of $16 million. Big Ben has a cap hit of $41 million, and a dead cap hit of $22 million, so it would reduce our overall hit by ~$3 million. Watson's contract is also set through the 2025 season at a reasonable rate (averages to ~$34 million per year), reasonable being relative to the other top young QBs. It would keep us in Cap-Hell for the foreseeable future with that big hit, as opposed to a rookie contract, but he's also a fairly guaranteed asset. We've seen him play, he lead the league in passing this year, he's a proven leader, and he's young. Also, it could keep our Super Bowl window alive.

Why it probably won't happen (just a few of the reasons). First, the Texans will probably use him as a reason for a top coach to come to Houston. Second, the Steelers are losing a lot of pieces from the team in the next 2 years with barely any players signed for the 2022 season. That means that we have a ton of positions we need to replenish through the draft (most of O-Line, CBs, S, LBs, TEs, RBs, NT, WRs by 2022) and it would cost a boatload to trade for Watson. The closest thing I can find with a Vet QB doesn't quite compare, the trade for Cutler cost two first round picks, a third round pick, and Kyle Orton. I would assume that at a minimum, it would cost 3 First round picks, 2 Second Round picks, and a Third Round pick for Watson based on some of the draft day trades of teams moving up to #1 overall pick for a QB; and I think that might not be enough since we typically draft in the later half of the first round. 

Basically, I don't think this will happen, but we could afford it cap-wise, and it would definitely be interesting. 

Looks like we're getting Spillane and Feiler back. I think that we should definitely use Spillane if he's fully healthy (partially because I think we have a higher chance of resigning him this offseason, and because while AW has improved, he's still not as integrated IMO). I'm not so sure we should lose Feiler. Just via the eye test, it looks like our offensive line has been much improved since Dotson took over (at least at his position, Big Al has sucked). He's been solid in 1 on 1 blocking, and I'm real hesitant to go back, especially since he's also returning next year and Feiler isn't a certainty. I'm just not sure Feiler is an improvement at this point, especially if he's not 100%, just keep him activated as a backup. 

Does anyone know if all the Positive Browns players from last week will be back this week? Our opportunities against the Browns will suffer if Ward is back in the lineup. 

Lastly, it looks like Vince Williams and Alualu missed practice yesterday due to injury, hopefully it was more precautionary than 100% necessary. 
Gotta think Big Al is gone next year, Dotson is starting at G and Feiler, Chuks, and Banner are going to fight for two starting spots at LT and RT.

I'm just coming in here with a 'go team go' 

I think the rest for Ben should really help as well as the returning bodies.  Not sure that has much bearing on which team shows up but we'll go with 'cautiously optimistic'

steelers1080 said:

Browns DC Joe Woods not sure if Denzel Ward or Kevin Johnson will be activated off COVID-19 list for the Steelers game

Four days before Sunday’s wild card game against the Steelers, Browns defensive coordinator Joe Woods still has no idea if starting cornerbacks Denzel Ward or Kevin Johnson will be activated off the COVID-19 list for the game.

Ward tested positive on Thursday, and Johnson was placed on the COVID-19 list late Saturday, presumably as a positive. Both sat out the regular-season-ending 24-22 victory over the Steelers.

From the mandatory minimum 10-day isolation period standpoint, Ward might be activated in time for the game, but Johnson might have to sit again.

In addition:

The Cleveland Browns will be down another starter for Sunday's playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers after safety Ronnie Harrison tested positive for COVID-19, according to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

steelers1080 said:
In other news, rumors are already flying that Watson might want out from the Texans if they don't hire a coach he likes and that the Steelers could be trade partners. First, I 100% don't think this will happen. But, surprisingly, we could afford it (cap-wise). Watson has a very friendly cap hit next year of $16 million. Big Ben has a cap hit of $41 million, and a dead cap hit of $22 million, so it would reduce our overall hit by ~$3 million. Watson's contract is also set through the 2025 season at a reasonable rate (averages to ~$34 million per year), reasonable being relative to the other top young QBs. It would keep us in Cap-Hell for the foreseeable future with that big hit, as opposed to a rookie contract, but he's also a fairly guaranteed asset. We've seen him play, he lead the league in passing this year, he's a proven leader, and he's young. Also, it could keep our Super Bowl window alive.

Why it probably won't happen (just a few of the reasons). First, the Texans will probably use him as a reason for a top coach to come to Houston. Second, the Steelers are losing a lot of pieces from the team in the next 2 years with barely any players signed for the 2022 season. That means that we have a ton of positions we need to replenish through the draft (most of O-Line, CBs, S, LBs, TEs, RBs, NT, WRs by 2022) and it would cost a boatload to trade for Watson. The closest thing I can find with a Vet QB doesn't quite compare, the trade for Cutler cost two first round picks, a third round pick, and Kyle Orton. I would assume that at a minimum, it would cost 3 First round picks, 2 Second Round picks, and a Third Round pick for Watson based on some of the draft day trades of teams moving up to #1 overall pick for a QB; and I think that might not be enough since we typically draft in the later half of the first round. 

Basically, I don't think this will happen, but we could afford it cap-wise, and it would definitely be interesting. 
Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

This is exciting, as at least 20 teams should make a run at him if they are being honest with themselves about their QB situation. Last time a QB this coveted was available was Peyton and the team that landed him eventually got a ring

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

#Texans QB Deshaun Watson is extremely unhappy with the organization after owner Cal McNair informed him he would be involved in the GM and coach hiring process and provide feedback… but then did neither in the hire of GM Nick Caserio, sources say.

-----------------------------------------

I don't like the Texans situation either to be honest.  I have no doubt that Deshaun wants out or that 20 teams would make a run for him but if I'm the new Texan GM the one player I don't trade is Watson unless I got a Godfather deal.

About the only team making a run that would stand a chance would be the Jets where they could throw their top pick and their 2nd this year plus next year's 1st rounder.  With the Jets top pick they would 'likely' go after Fields but he's a complete unknown.  Watson is a known commodity and too valuable to trade IMHO.  

I don't think the Steelers have any shot, the 'lowest' their first round pick 'could' be would be 24th and they'd have a low 2nd round pick and next year's 1st wouldn't project very-high either especially if they got Deshuan.  They would have to include TJ as a starter plus tons of picks but it really makes no sense for Houston.  They would demand a top pick plus a lot more and if you are the Houston GM you would never part with him.  

Maybe the Texans will eventually have to trade Watson and say he wasn't a 'cultural fit'

Haden out
Yep.  I didn't see it mentioned here but Ebron was activated.  JuJu sat out practice yesterday due to a knee but is expected to play the last I heard.  Aside from he and DE Isiah Buggs, everyone else was a full participant Thursday.

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

This is exciting, as at least 20 teams should make a run at him if they are being honest with themselves about their QB situation. Last time a QB this coveted was available was Peyton and the team that landed him eventually got a ring

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

#Texans QB Deshaun Watson is extremely unhappy with the organization after owner Cal McNair informed him he would be involved in the GM and coach hiring process and provide feedback… but then did neither in the hire of GM Nick Caserio, sources say.

-----------------------------------------

I don't like the Texans situation either to be honest.  I have no doubt that Deshaun wants out or that 20 teams would make a run for him but if I'm the new Texan GM the one player I don't trade is Watson unless I got a Godfather deal.

About the only team making a run that would stand a chance would be the Jets where they could throw their top pick and their 2nd this year plus next year's 1st rounder.  With the Jets top pick they would 'likely' go after Fields but he's a complete unknown.  Watson is a known commodity and too valuable to trade IMHO.  

I don't think the Steelers have any shot, the 'lowest' their first round pick 'could' be would be 24th and they'd have a low 2nd round pick and next year's 1st wouldn't project very-high either especially if they got Deshuan.  They would have to include TJ as a starter plus tons of picks but it really makes no sense for Houston.  They would demand a top pick plus a lot more and if you are the Houston GM you would never part with him.  

Maybe the Texans will eventually have to trade Watson and say he wasn't a 'cultural fit'
There is as much chance of this happening as me being named 2021 Sexiest Man Alive (for the record I don't think I would win Sexiest Man Dead)

The articles popping up saying "We need to delay the Browns/Steelers game!" are freakin ridiculous. I've been suckered in and read 3 of them, and 0 of them mentioned the fact that delaying the game to Monday or Tuesday would give the winner a short week and a disadvantage. The presumed opponent of the Bills in round 2 already play on Saturday and get 1 extra day of rest, if the Steelers ended up playing on Tuesday, that extra 3 days would be a huge advantage. 

I understand that the timing sucks for the Browns, right when they make their first playoffs in 17 years, but every team has had COVID challenges this year, and so far the Steelers are the only team punished because OTHER TEAMS had COVID issues. They lost their bye and their long week of rest because 2 other teams didn't follow the rules. That's enough unwarranted punishment for 1 season thank you very much. 

Play the game with whoever is available, coaches included. With how our offense has performed in the 2nd half of the season this game is not the easy layup that some pundits seem to believe. I think this will still be a close game if Cleveland has Nick Chubb.

The articles popping up saying "We need to delay the Browns/Steelers game!" are freakin ridiculous. I've been suckered in and read 3 of them, and 0 of them mentioned the fact that delaying the game to Monday or Tuesday would give the winner a short week and a disadvantage. The presumed opponent of the Bills in round 2 already play on Saturday and get 1 extra day of rest, if the Steelers ended up playing on Tuesday, that extra 3 days would be a huge advantage. 

I understand that the timing sucks for the Browns, right when they make their first playoffs in 17 years, but every team has had COVID challenges this year, and so far the Steelers are the only team punished because OTHER TEAMS had COVID issues. They lost their bye and their long week of rest because 2 other teams didn't follow the rules. That's enough unwarranted punishment for 1 season thank you very much. 

Play the game with whoever is available, coaches included. With how our offense has performed in the 2nd half of the season this game is not the easy layup that some pundits seem to believe. I think this will still be a close game if Cleveland has Nick Chubb.
As I mentioned in the Browns thread, there is little chance they will play this game on Monday and go up against the National Championship game.  I suppose they could play at 5:00 or something but I doubt they would move a playoff game to non-primetime during the week.

I don't get the logic of delaying a game until Tuesday or Wednesday because you have no way of knowing when Covid is going to hit.  Let's say the Browns can field a team on Sunday but they decide to delay the game to Tuesday or Wednesday so they can get some starters back and then either the Browns or Steelers have an outbreak on Monday or Tuesday.  What are you going to do then?

If they can possibly get the game in Sunday they need to play it.  It sucks for the Browns but the Steelers have shown they can lose to the Bengals with a 3rd string QB so they are quite capable of losing to anyone.   

No ####### excuses. This was exactly like the Jaguars playoffs where they didn't take the game seriously and their opponent and got beat up. 

Sorry Juju but same old Steelers so far.  I am begging for at least effort 

No ####### excuses. This was exactly like the Jaguars playoffs where they didn't take the game seriously and their opponent and got beat up. 

Sorry Juju but same old Steelers so far.  I am begging for at least effort 
Offense looking better but too little too late

At least they are giving me a reason to watch 4th quarter.  This next Cleveland drive could tell us about this game 

I feel like Renegade would be blasting so loud right now

Ben with another really bad playoff performance.  Just like against the Jags a few years ago, he put the team in too big of a hole to overcome.

Users who are viewing this thread