What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (6 Viewers)

Minkah Fitzpatrick out due to appendectomy. Almost certainly will miss multiple weeks.

Chris Boswell on IR, out at least 4 weeks

Newly acquire CB William Jackson also placed on IR. Steelers will not have to give up the conditional pick they traded to acquire him

Pickett 4.7 yards per pass. No points in redzone.

Man I hope we don’t waste watt and fitz’s careers.
It’s still so early in his career that it’s hard to write the book on him but yeah he has showed little to no potential.

About the RZ stuff: Unless we're talking passing specifically, didn't he get get the rush TD from, like, the 2? Regardless, even with the win he looked mostly like crap. Can't stand there and take half a dozen sacks every week and expect to win (or remain in one piece).

I really, really, didn't want them to take a QB with their first this past draft, but if they intend to stick with the one they took then they gotta see what he can do with a legit playcaller. Or, hell, even "a marginal playcaller." Canada doesn't qualify.

It’s still so early in his career that it’s hard to write the book on him but yeah he has showed little to no potential.
Given time I think Pickett could develop into Mason Rudolph so we have that going for us.
Maybe, but plenty of great QBs were not good as rookies.

Also, the projected top QB prospects in college have looked rough in recent weeks. I'm not sure if they'll be the upgrade that people think they will be (Stroud, Young, Levis). At this point I assume we'll have a pick in the 5-12 range and will either go Defense or OL, not QB. Stroud and Young keep hitting WRs for long passes, but typically when they are wide open. Also, they have the benefit of excellent O-lines and strong running games, basically put into optimal situations.

I agree the Steelers won't and shouldn't go QB with the 1st pick in 2023. I felt that way this year too. I think they'll go edge, CB or OT.

About the RZ stuff: Unless we're talking passing specifically, didn't he get get the rush TD from, like, the 2? Regardless, even with the win he looked mostly like crap. Can't stand there and take half a dozen sacks every week and expect to win (or remain in one piece).

I really, really, didn't want them to take a QB with their first this past draft, but if they intend to stick with the one they took then they gotta see what he can do with a legit playcaller. Or, hell, even "a marginal playcaller." Canada doesn't qualify.

I was more referring to going empty-set when Najee was playing so well and then we miss a FG.

Maybe, but plenty of great QBs were not good as rookies.

Also, the projected top QB prospects in college have looked rough in recent weeks. I'm not sure if they'll be the upgrade that people think they will be (Stroud, Young, Levis). At this point I assume we'll have a pick in the 5-12 range and will either go Defense or OL, not QB. Stroud and Young keep hitting WRs for long passes, but typically when they are wide open. Also, they have the benefit of excellent O-lines and strong running games, basically put into optimal situations.
Plenty of bad QBs were not good as rookies.
Plenty of mediocre QBs were not good as rookies.
Per top QBs not looking good, yep but statistically if you want a top QB they are found near the top of the draft.
I've said that the narrative that Pickett needs more time to develop, and we already see the sentiment of not drafting a QB.
I also have said the Steelers won't move-up or take a QB and that they will wind up drafting a defensive lineman.

Steelers will win just enough, maybe 6 games, to not be in the QB sweepstakes, and I dont mean taking a QB, but someone trading up to the Steelers spot to get a QB, and thus Steelers get two 1s and a 2 in the future to move down 5 spots and still get a top OL or DL. Pickett has the skill set to be a good NFL QB, not Mahomes or Allen, but solid, and this is a great chance for him to develop this year, no playoff hopes, 2 WRs who will be around a while, TE and RBs too. So steelers wont consider a Stroud or Young, Levis, etc. Their OL needs an anchor. Their DL needs a future stud.

Steelers will win just enough, maybe 6 games, to not be in the QB sweepstakes, and I dont mean taking a QB, but someone trading up to the Steelers spot to get a QB, and thus Steelers get two 1s and a 2 in the future to move down 5 spots and still get a top OL or DL. Pickett has the skill set to be a good NFL QB, not Mahomes or Allen, but solid, and this is a great chance for him to develop this year, no playoff hopes, 2 WRs who will be around a while, TE and RBs too. So steelers wont consider a Stroud or Young, Levis, etc. Their OL needs an anchor. Their DL needs a future stud.
It is nearly impossible to win a Superbowl without an elite QB. The outcome you are describing is exactly why Pickett was a terrible choice.

Also, the projected top QB prospects in college have looked rough in recent weeks. I'm not sure if they'll be the upgrade that people think they will be (Stroud, Young, Levis).
ain't that the truth.
Stroud and Young will probably go top 2 and not be available to the Steelers and i'm fine with that.
Young looks can't miss to me but his slight build is very concerning.
Levis has high bust potential and is 24.
if Pickett is found wanting over the rest of the season, Hendon Hooker is a high character QB who has been at least as good as any of the others.
problem is he's 25 in January which i think makes him even older than Pickett.
good thing is age may make him available with one of the Steelers' 2nd round picks, or allow them to trade down to get him late in the 1st and pick up draft capital. (don't know his hand size)
should be interesting. PFN's latest 3 rnd mock has him going #41, after the Steelers' 2 2nd rounders. they also rank him #3 in the QB class ahead of Levis.

Tomlin is still in the mindset that defenses, and minimal mistakes by the QB, will win it all. He will limit Picket taking risks, and you saw some gun shy play yesterday. Pickett will never be much more than what you see, so get used to it. This is what Tomlin always wants from his QBs, and all one has to do is read what he says to understand his intents.

Last edited:
It is nearly impossible to win a Superbowl without an elite QB. The outcome you are describing is exactly why Pickett was a terrible choice.
I don't think that's true. You just need to have a QB get hot in the playoffs and have a great defense. Many of the recent Super Bowls have been won by Tom Brady, Big Ben, or Peyton Manning, but a lot of those were won on the backs of an excellent defense. Young Tom Brady was clutch, but he wasn't Elite, the Pats defense was Elite and Brady made plays when it counted. Big Ben made some key plays in the SB, but our defense was dynamite. James Harrison won us that Super Bowl as much as Big Ben did.

I personally don't consider Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, 2013 Russel Wilson, old Peyton Manning, or Nick Foles to be elite. Flacco played at an Elite level during those playoffs, but that wasn't him overall.

The formula does work and can have success to have a strong running game (which we don't have) and an elite defense. Defense and rushing wins in the playoffs. Our defense and O-line is not currently good enough to have this formula consistently work. If we can kill FA and the draft next year and end up with a DL monster, a great CB, a solid ILB, and a much better OL, we really could go far with a moderate QB.

If Watt can help us stop Mixon, I think we have a shot this week against the Bengals. A win this week really gives a slim window of hope for the remainder of the season. We'd have the tie-breaker with the Bengals and be going into potentially winnable games against the Falcons and Saturday Colts.

I don't think that's true. You just need to have a QB get hot in the playoffs and have a great defense. Many of the recent Super Bowls have been won by Tom Brady, Big Ben, or Peyton Manning, but a lot of those were won on the backs of an excellent defense. Young Tom Brady was clutch, but he wasn't Elite, the Pats defense was Elite and Brady made plays when it counted. Big Ben made some key plays in the SB, but our defense was dynamite. James Harrison won us that Super Bowl as much as Big Ben did.

I personally don't consider Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, 2013 Russel Wilson, old Peyton Manning, or Nick Foles to be elite. Flacco played at an Elite level during those playoffs, but that wasn't him overall.

The formula does work and can have success to have a strong running game (which we don't have) and an elite defense. Defense and rushing wins in the playoffs. Our defense and O-line is not currently good enough to have this formula consistently work. If we can kill FA and the draft next year and end up with a DL monster, a great CB, a solid ILB, and a much better OL, we really could go far with a moderate QB.
After Brady left the AFC, it's been Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow in the championship game. Titans showed up to Arrowhead with the best RB and a D to back them up, and were slapped back to Tennessee.

I don't see anyone beating guys like Mahomes or Allen with just an average QB come playoff time. You have to be able to put up about 30 to have any shot, and then hope they have an off day. The Steelers had top 5 to 10 defenses, and were humiliated against Baker Mayfield and Blake Bortles at home. Last season they were humiliated by Mahomes not once, but twice.

Team is in dire need of an offensive minded leader who understands what schemes and mismatches are. There's no more Ben to lead them into the playoffs despite all the warts anymore.

After Brady left the AFC, it's been Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow in the championship game. Titans showed up to Arrowhead with the best RB and a D to back them up, and were slapped back to Tennessee.

I don't see anyone beating guys like Mahomes or Allen with just an average QB come playoff time. You have to be able to put up about 30 to have any shot, and then hope they have an off day. The Steelers had top 5 to 10 defenses, and were humiliated against Baker Mayfield and Blake Bortles at home. Last season they were humiliated by Mahomes not once, but twice.

Team is in dire need of an offensive minded leader who understands what schemes and mismatches are. There's no more Ben to lead them into the playoffs despite all the warts anymore.
The Colts and Jets beat the Chiefs and Bills this season. Yes, having an elite QB improves your odds of success, but we've seen teams be successful with Ok QBs going on a run. That's just a fact...

The Colts and Jets beat the Chiefs and Bills this season. Yes, having an elite QB improves your odds of success, but we've seen teams be successful with Ok QBs going on a run. That's just a fact...
Playoffs are a different story than regular season. The last 3 years have shown us what the AFC is now. You won't be beating those QBs with 3 yards and a cloud of dust when the games matter the most.

If Watt can help us stop Mixon, I think we have a shot this week against the Bengals. A win this week really gives a slim window of hope for the remainder of the season. We'd have the tie-breaker with the Bengals and be going into potentially winnable games against the Falcons and Saturday Colts.
The Steelers will need to shut down Mixon and pressure Burrow as they did in week 1. It helps that Chase won't be playing and supposedly the Steelers thinks there is chance that Minkah will be able to play.

Even with a win the Steelers making the post season is unlikely but they need this game to even keep up the fantasy. The schedule does get considerably easier, aside from the 2 Ravens games.

They aren't even playing the same game as when Flacco won the Superbowl. The rule changes have moved to favor QBs so much it really shouldn't even be called football anymore

Playoffs are a different story than regular season. The last 3 years have shown us what the AFC is now. You won't be beating those QBs with 3 yards and a cloud of dust when the games matter the most.
I guess we'll see. Mahomes and Allen might be the new Brady/Manning and take turns winning the AFC Championship. It's possible, but I think it's more likely that the AFC has a lot more parity over the next 20 years than it did over the last 20 years. That Pats dynasty was unprecedented and probably won't be repeated in the NFL.

Maybe defenses are too hamstrung now to be the overriding factor they once were in the playoffs, but I still agree that it's one of the possible formulas for success (amazing running game and amazing defense). We'll just need significant improvements on the O-line and Defense to pull it off.

Rules have shifted to allow offenses to prosper, and there's no going back from that. The league will continually want increased scoring, and will adjust rules appropriately. When you have a Mahomes and Allen in your conference with rules on their side, you will need a QB who is more than a game manager to beat them.

No more Ben to save the regular season. Tomlin has a sub .500 record without his HOF QB.

I'm sure he'll have all his excuses ready when questions about his actual ability finally gets asked.

Plenty of opportunities to win that game but they just aren't that good of a team.

On offense play calling was again the biggest culprit but Pickett missed some open receivers. His best game statistically but couldn't take advantage of the turnovers.

On defense Tee Higgins owned the secondary and they just didn't pay enough attention to Perine coming out of the backfield. There wasn't enough pressure on Burrow either.

Next up: Colts on MNF. Should be a ratings disaster for ESPN

Plenty of opportunities to win that game but they just aren't that good of a team.

On offense play calling was again the biggest culprit but Pickett missed some open receivers. His best game statistically but couldn't take advantage of the turnovers.

On defense Tee Higgins owned the secondary and they just didn't pay enough attention to Perine coming out of the backfield. There wasn't enough pressure on Burrow either.

Next up: Colts on MNF. Should be a ratings disaster for ESPN
At halftime felt pretty good, especially with how the final minute played out and going in with a lead. But coming out in the 2nd half their defense made adjustments and our offense made none. The biggest culprits were the offensive line, Matt Canada, and Kenny Pickett. The defense could also share some blame because they had a few drives where they couldn't make any stops, but also gave us 2 turnovers. Both of those picks were exceptional.

The back breaker and turning point in the game was the Flea Flicker, followed by 2 penalties. That took us from a great opportunity to cut the lead or take it, to giving the Bengals a long field that they turned into 7 pts. I do like that they called a trick play, but the execution was terrible. Not sure if that was because they needed to practice it more, or if Najee just had a bad toss.

It felt like in the 2nd half the combination of a predictable offense and poor o-line play lead to lots of pressure on Kenny before routes could develop, but there were also some plays where his throws were off by miles. The team is showing signs of life, but has no consistency yet. We also tend to get bogged down whenever we reach the redzone.

Was definitely a winnable game, and this loss has pretty much put a nail in this season's coffin. You never know, but this doesn't look like a team that can rattle off a string of wins.

Steelers now have the worst point differential in the league. They have 7 games left and I think it's likely that they win at least 2 or 3 of them. That probably puts them in the top 10 but likely not top 5. They have so many needs on both sides of the ball that I don't even know how they begin this rebuild.

Steelers are a hot mess, I think my backyard team that played after school had a better offensive game plan. They really should tank, not for a QB, but to get a pick that teams that want a QB with a trade for. Get a few first rd picks for 23, 24, 25. They need a rebuild. OL and CB are not good for them right now. iLB are exploited every week too.

Steelers are a hot mess, I think my backyard team that played after school had a better offensive game plan. They really should tank, not for a QB, but to get a pick that teams that want a QB with a trade for. Get a few first rd picks for 23, 24, 25. They need a rebuild. OL and CB are not good for them right now. iLB are exploited every week too.
They're not going to tank. Aside from that, I agree with everything you write here and will add the obvious: Matt Canada has got to go.

That "win" last week dropped them from the #2 pick to #8/9 right now. Ouch.
They're probably going to win another 3-4 games. This team will be attempting to win every game and putting up a fight, such as it is. It's probably going to be the worst outcome for the future. Good enough to not draft top 8, bad enough to not even sniff the playoffs.

I think the only way we draft top 5 is if Watt gets hurt again. Hopefully if we're going to win we at least have some sweet upsets down the stretch, like beating the Ravens.

They're not going to tank. Aside from that, I agree with everything you write here and will add the obvious: Matt Canada has got to go.

Every time that I see a new post in this thread, I am hoping it is a link to Canada being fired.

Seeing the offense score more than 20 points in regulation is a step in the right direction.
But the second half was a disaster. No adjustments. The Bengals knew what was coming. A trick play after finally a nice gain. 3 penalties after a 10+ yard run. Pickett with no time or no presence in the pocket. His arm strength is questionable too.

Steelers Depot 37-20e3.png1f983.png @Steelersdepot
The Steelers have now allowed 50 explosive plays of 20 yards or longer, second-most in NFL. Last season they allowed 68, per @Stathead. #Steelers #NFL

Alex Kozora@Alex_Kozora
Steelers starting CBs yesterday:
Cam Sutton - 103.1 QB rating
against Arthur Maulet - 154.5 QB rating
against Levi Wallace - Allowed two 30+ yard catches
Steelers' corners haven't played well enough this year. Bunch of #2's, no #1's. #Steelers
Alex Kozora@Alex_Kozora
The Steelers are 0-3 in the last three games they've scored 30+ points. #Steelers 37-30 loss to Bengals (Sunday) 41-37 loss to Chargers (2021) 48-37 loss to Browns (2020 Wild Card)

Here is a question.. If a team came to you with a boat load of picks, including multiple first for Watt, would you do it?

Foe me, it be hard, but there are reasons to do it. Watt's injury history and the fact this D sucks with him and probably needs a total overhaul.

Here is a question.. If a team came to you with a boat load of picks, including multiple first for Watt, would you do it?

Foe me, it be hard, but there are reasons to do it. Watt's injury history and the fact this D sucks with him and probably needs a total overhaul.
In a heartbeat yes, but this coach won't. He still believes in his ways, and has no clue how to rebuild. He should give Pete Carroll a call and learn something.

Users who are viewing this thread