What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (4 Viewers)

Not targeting Pickens against the worst pass D in the league was criminal. Good coaches attack weaknesses of their opponents. Canada is a joke.
I didn't watch the game, only red zone so I didn't get to see what happened.

I read that they had Pickens lined up in the slot much of the game which is not his usual position. Maybe that had something to do with lack of targets.

Also, it would not surprise me if they were punishing him for his unnecessary personal foul at the end of the Bengals game.

Very disappointing results for a game in which he had the match up (weak Atl defense) and motivation (playing at "home" for friends and family) to go off.

His personality is definitely more along the lines of an AB, TO, Ocho Cinco, Dez than a Diggs, Kupp, Julio, etc.

Hopefully he has the maturity, patience, and desire to be able to learn from his mistakes and fulfill his potential. Talent wise he should be a top 10 WR for the next 7 years.

Not targeting Pickens against the worst pass D in the league was criminal. Good coaches attack weaknesses of their opponents. Canada is a joke.
I didn't watch the game, only red zone so I didn't get to see what happened.

I read that they had Pickens lined up in the slot much of the game which is not his usual position. Maybe that had something to do with lack of targets.

Also, it would not surprise me if they were punishing him for his unnecessary personal foul at the end of the Bengals game.

Very disappointing results for a game in which he had the match up (weak Atl defense) and motivation (playing at "home" for friends and family) to go off.

His personality is definitely more along the lines of an AB, TO, Ocho Cinco, Dez than a Diggs, Kupp, Julio, etc.

Hopefully he has the maturity, patience, and desire to be able to learn from his mistakes and fulfill his potential. Talent wise he should be a top 10 WR for the next 7 years.

The slot role in this offense is garbarge. It’s where juju and claypool went to die. Why would they play pickens there? He is an outside deep threat. Canada is terrible.

I’ve seen very few #1 alpha type wideouts not grumble when they don’t get looks. Fair argument to say that Pickens hasn’t earned that yet. I agree. But he has the talent of one. I’m betting he’s right
There is no scenario where it makes sense for the Steelers to target Pickens only 2 times in a game.

The slot role in this offense is garbarge. It’s where juju and claypool went to die. Why would they play pickens there? He is an outside deep threat. Canada is terrible.

I’ve seen very few #1 alpha type wideouts not grumble when they don’t get looks. Fair argument to say that Pickens hasn’t earned that yet. I agree. But he has the talent of one. I’m betting he’s right
There is no scenario where it makes sense for the Steelers to target Pickens only 2 times in a game.

"Shut up! Throwing deep is mean! Decoys are ace! The top WPIAL teams do it all the time! Oh, hey, Coach Mike. Got any more kids that need scholarships?" - Straw Hat Matt

This article explains why he's getting only a few snaps per game.
Right now, his route tree is limited, he is only running GO routes.

Is it limited based on his skill or based on what he's allowed to do in this offense?
Claypool would have loved to run Go routes but wasn't allowed.

This week feels like a toss-up game. We probably should win based on the Ravens' recent play, but since our offense only plays in the 1st half we'll have to have stifling defense.

This week feels like a toss-up game. We probably should win based on the Ravens' recent play, but since our offense only plays in the 1st half we'll have to have stifling defense.
Yeah, I expect to win, but I think the offense is capped at around 16. So, it will put some serious pressure on the D all game.

After the media trying to create drama over the Pickens stuff and then Tomlin saying "**** you guys and your ********, I love Pickens and that dawg he got in him"* I expect Pickens to have his best game of the season. 6+ rec, 100+ yds, and find the end zone at least once. Probably twice.

I could see this game being a rout.

34-16

(Shameless Pickens fanboy checking in)

* I might be paraphrasing Tomlin a bit

I like the way you guys are thinking but to me this has all the earmarks of a 20-17 game. Hopefully we will be on the right side of the score

He’s not getting limited snaps. He’s out there for every passing down. He takes off a lot on first downs which telegraphs it’s a run. Another brilliant tell by Canada. In the previous several games they got him targets and end zone looks. Nothing against ATL. It’s just terrible game planning and execution by the coaching staff. Period.

I assume they’re basically eliminated. This was my fear a month ago. I never said the team should tank but it absolutely would have been better for them if they had lost those couple games. We all knew this team stunk. Now they beat a few of the other bottom feeders hurting their draft pick. Maybe those couple wins against Atlanta and Saints give Tomlin the excuse he needs to keep Canada. Now they’re probably drafting outside of the top 10 (or barely inside).

Anyone else concerned that Pickett keeps getting knocked out of the game this early in his career?

Did someone actually think this team was putting up 34? And no they would not have done that with Pickett either.

Sad when you know the other team can only run, yet your overpriced D can do nothing to stop them.

Very embarrassing today.
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's our scheme or lack of talented NT/ILBs that prevents us from having a good run D. None of Jack/Bush/Spillane would be considered good run defenders, and our D-line isn't strong outside of Heyward. Also, Watt still looks slow out there, not sure if he's still recovering but his speed seems much lower than week 1.

This loss almost surely knocks us out of playoff contention, and it was against a 3rd string QB. Some of the coaching decisions were just plain terrible. The clock management was poor and the wasted timeout killed us in the end (after the 3 INTs put daggers into us already). If we had just kicked FGs whenever we reached the 20 yard line, we'd have won.

WE GOT TRUBISKIED!
This is the answer. Coach Cowher always says there’s a very fine line between winning and losing. If just one of those INTs were TDs (not a big stretch), we’re not talking about the defense being unable to stop the run. The team played well enough to win today.

We're going to need a QB.

and something that can stop plays in the middle i.e NT/ILB.

We get beat in the middle of the field on both sides of the ball.

Adam Gretz@AGretz

The 31 other NFL teams this season when allowing 17 points or less:
117-20 (.856)

The Steelers in games where they allow 17 points or less:
3-3 (.500)

Only one other team has more losses in such games
(Denver has five).

What a damning indictment of the offense.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Adam Gretz@AGretz
There are only four other teams in the league that have more than *one* loss in said games (Denver has five, Indianapolis, Houston, and New Orleans each have two).
Nobody has more than 1.
18 teams have *zero*

WE GOT TRUBISKIED!
This is the answer. Coach Cowher always says there’s a very fine line between winning and losing. If just one of those INTs were TDs (not a big stretch), we’re not talking about the defense being unable to stop the run. The team played well enough to win today.
Disagree, it was a total team loss. Trubisky was a turnover machine, the defense could not stop the run nor generate a turnover, and we had a 40 yard FG blocked. They were lucky to be playing a 3rd string QB or it wouldn't have been close.

We're going to need a QB.

and something that can stop plays in the middle i.e NT/ILB.

We get beat in the middle of the field on both sides of the ball.
I agree 100% about NT and ILB. We get burned up the middle constantly.

I really doubt the Steelers will be drafting a QB in the top 3 rounds though. Pickett is the man for 2023 and the way Trubisky played yesterday he's in no position to demand a trade or release because no one is going to want him so he is #2 by default. They will need to get a 3rd QB cause Rudolph is almost certainly gone but that's about it.

Jack and Bush are not the answer. Both were abused once again vs the run yesterday, and both have a PFF grade in the 50s for run defense this season.

Add ILB to the list of needs this team is compiling for next season.

Mind you, the DL has to occupy blockers as well so the LBs can make plays, but they were all pushed around. Alualu, Adams, and Larry O all need to go. Horrible vs the run.

Last edited:
WE GOT TRUBISKIED!
Disagree, it was a total team loss. Trubisky was a turnover machine, the defense could not stop the run nor generate a turnover, and we had a 40 yard FG blocked. They were lucky to be playing a 3rd string QB or it wouldn't have been close.

Both are true. It was a total team loss, and a very winnable game. While the record stinks, and the team has warts, every game except Buffalo and Philly has been close and winnable. The team will surprise next year if we address a few spots as the young guys will be that much better.

I hope they start Rudolph next week and potentially longer if Pickett is having concussion issues. He was the best QB in camp . . . .

WE GOT TRUBISKIED!
If your defense holds the other team to 16 points you should win. Yes, the defense should have been able to stop the run in the 2nd half, but if you can't score more than 16 points in todays NFL, you're going to lose most of your games.

Trubisky's turnovers were pretty much single-handedly what cost us the game. We'd have had at least 3 more points if we'd gotten 1 of those 2 red zone trips turned into a FG.

WE GOT TRUBISKIED!

Both are true. It was a total team loss, and a very winnable game. While the record stinks, and the team has warts, every game except Buffalo and Philly has been close and winnable. The team will surprise next year if we address a few spots as the young guys will be that much better.

I hope they start Rudolph next week and potentially longer if Pickett is having concussion issues. He was the best QB in camp . . . .
Best chance next week is to start Rudolph if Pickett is out, as weird as that is to say.

Next year we have so many holes to fill and not enough high draft picks to do it. DL, CB, ILB, OG, and OT are must haves, but we may also have to replace Edmunds (who has looked better this year but still very lost at times).

I still wish we'd traded for Roquan Smith. Idk if we'd have been able to afford him, but I think an ILB like that makes up for a lot of warts on the DL.

WE GOT TRUBISKIED!

Best chance next week is to start Rudolph if Pickett is out, as weird as that is to say.

Next year we have so many holes to fill and not enough high draft picks to do it. DL, CB, ILB, OG, and OT are must haves, but we may also have to replace Edmunds (who has looked better this year but still very lost at times).

I still wish we'd traded for Roquan Smith. Idk if we'd have been able to afford him, but I think an ILB like that makes up for a lot of warts on the DL.

With two concussions this year, they should think about shutting him down.

WE GOT TRUBISKIED!
If your defense holds the other team to 16 points you should win. Yes, the defense should have been able to stop the run in the 2nd half, but if you can't score more than 16 points in todays NFL, you're going to lose most of your games.

Trubisky's turnovers were pretty much single-handedly what cost us the game. We'd have had at least 3 more points if we'd gotten 1 of those 2 red zone trips turned into a FG.
I agree but keep in mind the reason they "held" the Ravens to 16 was because the defense was playing against a 3rd string QB.

WE GOT TRUBISKIED!

I agree but keep in mind the reason they "held" the Ravens to 16 was because the defense was playing against a 3rd string QB.
And the Steelers were using their backup as well. Their third QB played better than the Steelers 2nd. Baltimore didn't turn the ball over. The Steelers did three times and had a field goal blocked.

WE GOT TRUBISKIED!

And the Steelers were using their backup as well. Their third QB played better than the Steelers 2nd. Baltimore didn't turn the ball over. The Steelers did three times and had a field goal blocked.
And the Ravens defense played better.

WE GOT TRUBISKIED!

It's fair to say our defense should have performed better against a 2nd and 3rd string QB, but I think the point still stands that holding a team to 16 should be enough for a win.

Had to look that up.
Yep, not a good look putting him back in the game after he went to the medical tent.
A divisional game with a hated rival when in December with both teams still fighting for a playoff spot but how do you put him back in the game after he took that shot where he had to go to the medical tent?
Now Harbaugh is trying to rush Huntley back early so he can play on Saturday.
I get wanting to win games, but the league instituted the concussion protocol to prevent this sort of thing from happening.
Didn't they learn anything after being busted in the CTE scandal where they knew and tried to conceal the devastating effects of brain injuries?

Steelers QB Kenny Pickett suffers second concussion

Had to look that up.
Yep, not a good look putting him back in the game after he went to the medical tent.
A divisional game with a hated rival when in December with both teams still fighting for a playoff spot but how do you put him back in the game after he took that shot where he had to go to the medical tent?
I get wanting to win games, but the league instituted the concussion protocol to prevent this sort of thing from happening.
Didn't they learn anything after being busted in the CTE scandal where they knew and tried to conceal the devastating effects of brain injuries?

Steelers QB Kenny Pickett suffers second concussion
The initial report on the sideline was that Pickett had cleared concussion protocol after leaving the tent. Apparently they saw something they did not like when he was on the field.

WE GOT TRUBISKIED!

It's fair to say our defense should have performed better against a 2nd and 3rd string QB, but I think the point still stands that holding a team to 16 should be enough for a win.
Let's also not forget an absolute horrible punt too. Like I said: it was a team loss. If any one of the units had played better they win the game.

Probably not. He was pretty vocal if I recall regarding Tua earlier this year, saying he should not have played in that Thursday game. Feel like he's now boxed himself into a corner and would like a massive hypocrite if he tried to play Huntley on a short week.

If Kenny misses next week, then we'll get a view of if the Steelers are "tanking" or not. They'll never officially tank, and if Kenny was starting I'd say we should try to win because I think it's positive for his development. If they start Mitch, they're going for a better pick, and if they start Mason they're actually trying to win.

I assume when if/when he's cleared he will play and that no talk of shutting him down if he's cleared will be on the table. Just got to look at how they handled Friermuth to see this is not how they operate.

I know it's early, but we seem to have played ourselves out of a top DL prospect in this draft, so I think CB/OL/ILB should be priority based on the talent available.

Right now I'd be a fan of Porter 1st, trade up slightly from 34 -> ~28 to get O'Cyrus Torrence (OG), and then take Jaelyn Duncan with our 2nd (OT). That would leave 3, 4, and 7s to get ILB/WR plus everywhere else we need depth. If we don't get Torrence, then standing pat at 34 and taking an ILB like Sewell could be a good move. We might be able to get a guard later that's still an upgrade.

I know it's early, but we seem to have played ourselves out of a top DL prospect in this draft, so I think CB/OL/ILB should be priority based on the talent available.

Right now I'd be a fan of Porter 1st, trade up slightly from 34 -> ~28 to get O'Cyrus Torrence (OG), and then take Jaelyn Duncan with our 2nd (OT). That would leave 3, 4, and 7s to get ILB/WR plus everywhere else we need depth. If we don't get Torrence, then standing pat at 34 and taking an ILB like Sewell could be a good move. We might be able to get a guard later that's still an upgrade.
I would be down with this though we need to address ILB and NT but there is only so much you can do in one draft. Maybe we strike gold with a 4th rounder or can sign a decent FA.

I completely forgot about drafting two quarterbacks.
---------------------------
Andrew Fillipponi@ThePoniExpress

The Steelers drafted a 2nd QB in the 7th round of the 2022 draft. And it wasn’t Brock Purdy. Not only was it a stupid pick. They didn’t even pick the right QB at the end of the draft.

Aside from two really stupid and needless taunting/unsportsmanlike penalties, the Steelers played pretty well yesterday. If they could somehow manage to schedule all games their games against the NFC South they could be a playoff contender.

I gave my tickets to the Raiders game to a buddy's kids way back in September. There was no way I was going to the stadium for a night game on Christmas Eve regardless of our record or the anniversary of the Immaculate Reception. Looking at weather forecast I am REALLY glad I'm not going! Brrrrrrr!

Users who are viewing this thread