What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers: actively negotiating with Aiyuk, NOT discussing trades (18 Viewers)

Jimmy Ward expected to sign with Houston and reunite with DeMeco Ryans. I guess he wants money over a ring.

Ward (2014) had the longest unbroken tenure w/ the 49ers (Dontae Johnson was part of the same draft class). Now that honor goes to:

Arik Armstead (2015)
Kyle Juszczyk (2017)
George Kittle (2017)
Robbie Gould (2017) *

*tenure hangs in the balance

Last edited:
All is well and dandy so far but who is going to protect these QB’s?

I like the signings for sure but the two places we were weakest Oline and DB are actually much weaker right now
Much weaker? Disagree. At this point anyway.

Mooney Ward just restructured to add about 10 million in cap space. Hoping that’s a move to resign Moseley. I like Jimmie Ward and he was a solid player but not someone who is going to move the needle much. Would rather use the money to resign Moseley and put Lenior back in the slot. Glinch was OK but not a huge loss IMO. He was a big part of the pass protection issues.

I like the signings for sure but the two places we were weakest Oline and DB are actually much weaker right now

Mooney Ward just restructured to add about 10 million in cap space. Hoping that’s a move to resign Moseley. I like Jimmie Ward and he was a solid player but not someone who is going to move the needle much. Would rather use the money to resign Moseley and put Lenior back in the slot. Glinch was OK but not a huge loss IMO. He was a big part of the pass protection issues.

Glinch was a great run blocker however and his pass blocking skills were getting better (according to PFF anyway)

Ward is a solid vet and he's gone and there isn't anything to replace at this point

Glinch was a great run blocker however and his pass blocking skills were getting better (according to PFF anyway)

Ward is a solid vet and he's gone and there isn't anything to replace at this point
I think slot corner is a position that a decent team should be able to fill with a lower cost player. My concern with that sequence of moves is that I'm not convinced Gipson is all that good. I'm sure he was cheaper than Ward (though Ward wasn't expensive, $7.5m/year), but it seems like a risk counting on Gipson to be a league average or better starter for 17 games next year.

Darnold will sign a deal with a base value of $4.5 million, including $3.5 million guaranteed.

By comparison, third-year quarterback Trey Lance will count $9.3 million against the salary cap, while second-year quarterback Brock Purdy will count just $889,253.

As far as Ward, if Moseley comes back, that basically is his replacement because Lenoir goes to the slot where he looked pretty good last year before he had to move outside. Gibson resigned to play safety. Their secondary could be better than last year actually.

I saw the PFF scores improved for Glinch in pass protection, but just seemed he got beat a lot. Didn’t seem to match up. Not that he was a bad player but i think he can be replaced a lot cheaper without much of or any drop off.

Sneaky good move to sign Darnold. I actually think he is a guy that could thrive in this system
Yeah. My first reaction was kind of WTF, but looked at last years performance and it was actually pretty good overall. Obviously has talent so a good low cost signing with upside.

Sneaky good move to sign Darnold. I actually think he is a guy that could thrive in this system

Hopefully we will never find out.

A bit of perspective - we are signing Darnold as our QB3. The Vikings just signed Nick Mullens as their QB2.

The Darnold signing is a win any you look at it.

Meanwhile, the Eagles are losing starters left and right.

In my best Mr Burns voice: "Ehhhhx-cellent!"

Hargrave is 30 and the Eagles already have his replacement on the roster in Jordan Davis.
Fun fact, if you subtract all of Javon Hargraves' sacks last year, the Eagles finish #1 in sacks

You guys sound like a scorned lover...
Good luck, he's a great pass rusher!

I'm a little torn on Darnold. $4.5m is a lot for a 3rd string QB. On the other hand, we've seen the value of a 3rd QB. I was listening to Candlestick Chronicles this morning and Biderman thought Darnold was being brought in to have a legit competition with Lance to be the primary backup to Purdy. I think that's very possible; Lance is effectively on a 1 year deal himself this year.

Hargrave is 30 and the Eagles already have his replacement on the roster in Jordan Davis.
Congrats, I guess?

You're team is the one paying the 30 year old defensive tackle based on past performance not the Eagles. These guys fall off the cliff fast. Congrats, I guess?
I'm sure that's your hope, but hes a presence in the middle we lacked last season, so it's a great add for us. His sacks have increased every year the past 4 years, so I don't see him falling off that cliff you mentioned, and now that he's with the best D Line coach in the league, I can see him being solid as long as he's a 49er.

Last edited:
I'm a little torn on Darnold. $4.5m is a lot for a 3rd string QB. On the other hand, we've seen the value of a 3rd QB. I was listening to Candlestick Chronicles this morning and Biderman thought Darnold was being brought in to have a legit competition with Lance to be the primary backup to Purdy. I think that's very possible; Lance is effectively on a 1 year deal himself this year.
I read last week that they were hoping to sign a decent vet for less than 5 million, and Kyle has openly been a Darnold fan for years. He's young, has the tools to be good, and Wilks knows him very well from Carolina, so Im sure there was some insude info being shared to help with the decision.

Paying a QB3 4.5 million sounds like a lot, but when Purdy makes around 900k, you still have a dirt cheap QB room, and if Darnold ends up QB2, it will seem like a bargain.

Another one locked down!

The 49ers are re-signing center Jake Brendel on a four-year deal, per source. Jets offered more but Brendel wanted to stay with San Fran.

Per Albert Breer:

Details on new 49ers QB Sam Darnold's one-year, $4.5 million deal.

• $1 million signing bonus.
• $2.45 million base.
• $1 million in per-game roster bonsues.
• $500K workout bonus.
• $7 million in incentives (tied to playtime, wins, QB rating).

Per Albert Breer:

Details on new 49ers QB Sam Darnold's one-year, $4.5 million deal.

• $1 million signing bonus.
• $2.45 million base.
• $1 million in per-game roster bonsues.
• $500K workout bonus.
• $7 million in incentives (tied to playtime, wins, QB rating).
Damn that's expensive.

Fun fact, if you subtract all of Javon Hargraves' sacks last year, the Eagles finish #1 in sacks
Adjust for strength of schedule and it's 27th.
So the Niners overpaid for a guy that only ate against cupcake teams. Sounds good to me.

Didn't the Niners end up with the easiest schedule in the league last year? Now adjust Bosa's numbers, I guess.

Didn't the Niners end up with the easiest schedule in the league last year? Now adjust Bosa's numbers, I guess.
No, they ended up getting smacked by the Eagles when they thought they were going to the Super Bowl with the last pick of the draft piloting the whole thing.

Oh waiiiiit....Which is why they are now obsessed with us, I guess. Much like Minnesota was when we curb stomped them in the same game and they followed us around for years.

They will get their chance this year with Trey Sam Purdy at QB when they come to the Linq to try and redeem themselves.

If the season started tomorrow, the 49ers' offensive line would look like:

LT: Trent Williams
LG: Aaron Banks
C: Jake Brendel
RG: Spencer Burford
RT: Colton McKivitz or Jaylon Moore

Brunskill is still a free agent.

they ended up getting smacked by the Eagles when they thought they were going to the Super Bowl with the last pick of the draft piloting the whole thing.

Oh waiiiiit....Which is why they are now obsessed with us, I guess.

The F is all this nonsense? Nobody here is posting in the Eagles thread, don't come in here and start shiz.

they ended up getting smacked by the Eagles when they thought they were going to the Super Bowl with the last pick of the draft piloting the whole thing.

Oh waiiiiit....Which is why they are now obsessed with us, I guess.

The F is all this nonsense? Nobody here is posting in the Eagles thread, don't come in here and start shiz.
Right. The last pick of the draft who came back in with one arm in a game that was 7-7 at the time. Total domination. 🙄

Congrats on losing the Super Bowl I guess? 🎉

Eagles had the easiest, Niners the second easiest per Football Outsiders.

As far as Ward, if Moseley comes back, that basically is his replacement because Lenoir goes to the slot where he looked pretty good last year before he had to move outside. Gibson resigned to play safety. Their secondary could be better than last year actually.

I saw the PFF scores improved for Glinch in pass protection, but just seemed he got beat a lot. Didn’t seem to match up. Not that he was a bad player but i think he can be replaced a lot cheaper without much of or any drop off.
Mosely....gone. To the Lions.

Mosely....gone. To the Lions.
Well, that sucks

Great pick up for Lions.

Moseley for $6 million guaranteed coming off the ACL injury seems pretty steep. Glad he's getting paid but I'm not upset the Niners didn't match.

Lombardi:

What we learned at Combine:

The 49ers are bullish on Charvarius Ward and Deommodore Lenoir as their starting CB duo. They would've been happy to take Emmanuel Moseley back as depth coming off the ACL, but that would've required a lower price.

SF must still add at the position.

Seahawk RB Penny signs with the Eagles. When healthy he's pretty good, but hes only played in 18 games the last 3 seasons.

Still, glad to see Seattle lose a skill position player, even if it's a part-timer.

Azeez Al-Shaair signing with the Titans.

No surprise here, we knew he was leaving, I figured he'd go to Houston but instead follows former SF director of player personnel Ron Carthon to Tennessee. I hope he got a good deal.

Last edited:
49ERS FREE AGENCY

Gains
DT Javon Hargrave, PHI
QB Sam Darnold, CAR

Losses
QB Garoppolo, LV (expected)
RT McGlinchey, DEN (expected)
S J.Ward, HOU (expected)
CB Moseley, DET (surprise)
LB Al-Shaair, TEN (expected)
DT Ridgeway, HOU (not worth 4 mil)

Re-signed
C Brendel
S Gipson
DT Givens
OT McKivitz
WR Jennings
LS Pepper

#49ers remaining UFAs:

K Robbie Gould
DE Samson Ebukam
DE Charles Omenihu
OL Daniel Brunskill
DE Jordan Willis
DL Kerry Hyder
TE Tyler Kroft
TE Ross Dwelley
DT T.Y. McGill
S Tarvarius Moore
CB Jason Verrett
QB Josh Johnson
DL Maurice Hurst
CB Dontae Johnson
TE Jordan Matthews

Albert Breer on Sam Darnold/49ers:

It's saying 'we're going to see what happens with Trey Lance, but we're going to make sure to cover out butts in the back end and get another guy in here ready to compete to get us through till Brock Purdy is back. Whether Darnold emerges or Lance emerges over the next 6 months, we've given ourselves another viable option until Brock Purdy comes back."

Breer's comments seem to indicate that the 49ers view this more like a backup quarterback competition, unless Darnold/Lance WOW them.

Users who are viewing this thread