What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers: Phase one of offseason workout program has begun, OTAs start May 20th (10 Viewers)

Ugh...I'm unimpressed as I have been with most drafts. These guys just can't draft all that well. There are some huge holes in this team going into this year. Our qb might get killed.
Look at the bright side. You got a great kicker.
The history of the top rated kickers in the draft doesn't seem to be all that stellar.
Yep

Hate to complain, but hated the pick. Too many good CB prospects still on the board. Like when they could have drafted CJ Gardner-Johnson in 2019 and traded down and ended up taking Wish. Makes no sense to me.

I do think the OL being bad is a bad take. I expect Banks and Burford to be good and Brendel is OK. Frankly I think McKivitz will be as good if not better than Glinch. Still expect them to add a FA depth piece after the draft.
I'm not worried about the OL playing well, but I am worried about the depth we have there, or lack thereof.
Which is why I think they add a cheap FA or 2 for depth. I trust they have a plan but that trust does dip when they draft kickers/punters this early 🙁

49ers 2023 Draft
Rd 3 (87): S Ji’Ayir Brown, Penn St
Rd 3 (99): K Jake Moody, Mich
Rd 3 (101): TE Cameron Latu, Ala
Rd 5 (155): CB Darrell Luter, S.Ala
Rd 5 (173): DE Robert Beal, UGa

Next scheduled picks . . .
Rd 6 (216)
Rd 7 (247)
Rd 7 (253)
Rd 7 (255)

Honestly, it almost feels like we didn't even draft. There is zero to be excited about imho
I mean, we grabbed a few players who should contribute right away, but we were so stacked before the draft, it's almost like we're drafting for depth for the most part.

Not a bad problem to have IMO.

Ringo and Freeland go in top 4 picks in the 4th. Sub the kicker for one of those picks and I would be fine with their draft so far.

Eagles grab Ringo 🙂

Came in to post the same sort of thing. If they'd taken Dawand Jones, T, from Ohio State instead of the kicker I'd be perfectly satisfied. Feels like such a wasted pick when we already had limited capital to invest.

I’d like to grade the 3rd round pick, a kicker, after they traded for Zane Gonzale: (with props to @rockaction) *fart noises*
To be fair, to say they traded for Zane Gonzalez is a bit of a reach. The "trade" is for a conditional exchange of late round picks in 2025.

Also, I'm amused how people spin the round given up depending on what side of the argument they are on. It was a comp pick, pick 99, which can be argued is actually a 4th rounder. But it sounds so much worse to say they drafted him in the 3rd round

That said, I hated them taking a kicker there.

I’d like to grade the 3rd round pick, a kicker, after they traded for Zane Gonzale: (with props to @rockaction) *fart noises*
To be fair, to say they traded for Zane Gonzalez is a bit of a reach. The "trade" is for a conditional exchange of late round picks in 2025.

I’m not saying they sold the farm for Zane Gonzalez

My point was more whether K was a need so great they had to take a K in the 3rd.

That they’d already ******* addressed the need for a K is what’s so grating about it.

Baffling

My point was more whether K was a need so great they had to take a K in the 3rd.

That they’d already ******* addressed the need for a K is what’s so grating about it.

Baffling
Oh I agree.

Baffling

Gonzalez is coming off a major injury (he hasn't kicked in a game since 2021) and was brought in to be competition for whoever else they were gonna sign or draft.

I get why people are bent out of shape but as long as he isn't a bust, I'm fine with it.

I live in Tampa and remember back in 2016 when the Bucs drafted Roberto Aguayo from FSU in the 2nd round (#59 overall) because he was supposedly the best kicker in the draft and a sure thing. He sucked out loud and was cut the following preseason, and never kicked in the NFL again.

Then there's Mike Nugent, drafted #47 overall by the Jets in 2005 and had a pretty decent career.

Did they reach? Maybe, but Moody will cost about 1.4 mil/year, while Gould would have cost 4+ mil/yr. So theres that.

The 49ers have immediately signed 2 UDFA Lineman. Shepherd OT Joey Fisher and Hawai’i OG/C Ilm Manning. As expected, the Niners pursued O-Line prospects immediately following the draft.

That kicker better be good.

Moody is a good kicker.

Not sure why they took him in the 3rd round though.
I really wish the NFL had put the comp picks at the beginning of the 4th round instead of the end of the 3rd. Then this "they took a kicker in the 3rd round" narrative would go away. lol

As I have said previous in the thread, I didn't like it either, but liked Shanahan's explanation, which was basically "I don't want to have to think about if my kicker will F this kick up". They had a lot of fun explaining the pick.

In their presser after the draft, Lynch said he was glad Brown ran a slower 40 than expected at the combine because he would have never made it into the 3rd round otherwise.

👍

Ji’Ayir Brown recorded an in game speed of 21.06 miles per hour according to GPS data​

That would have put Brown in contention for the fastest times in the NFL last season.

John Lynch and the 49ers front office made it no secret how much they coveted Penn State safety Ji’Ayir Brown after trading up to select him with the 87th overall pick in the 2023 NFL draft.

There are a number of reasons why the 49ers became enamored with a prospect like Brown, including the data recorded by an evaluation tool that is generally not accessible to the public.

I had a conversation this weekend with a coach on the Penn State staff who worked hands on with Brown and the other defensive backs at Happy Valley. He provided a valuable perspective on the kind of player the 49ers are getting with their first pick in the 2023 draft.

The first thing he did was make a point to emphasize the exceptional football IQ that Brown possesses, detailing how much his intelligence on the field stood out from day one. When we started talking about what part of Brown’s game might be getting overlooked as he enters the league, this coach immediately pointed to the fact that Brown plays much faster than the athletic testing numbers he posted at the combine would indicate.

He was adamant that the 4.65 second 40-yard dash time that Brown recorded does not adequately reflect just how fast he is
in an actual game setting. Thankfully, there is a way to quantify that, as Penn State utilizes GPS tracking data that can put an exact number on just how fast a player is while they are on the field.

I was provided access to this GPS data courtesy of Penn State’s strength and conditioning staff, and the numbers from Brown were eye-popping. That data indicated that Brown recorded a maximum speed of 21.06 miles per hour on game day, well above the average maximum speed you typically see from players at the safety position.

This is an extremely valuable piece of information when evaluating Brown and the safety class as a whole, as the 40-yard dash time paints a much more inaccurate picture of the kind of explosion Brown possesses. The 4.65 he ran ranked 16th out of the 18 safeties who recorded an official time at the combine, while the GPS data quickly dispels any notion that he is not among the elite athletes at the position in this rookie class.

Another thing that is likely to endear Brown to his new coaching staff in San Francisco is the fact that the speed he showed on game day was also there in practice as well. He recorded a max speed of over 21 miles per hour during his practice sessions, which mirrored the intensity he showed on game day as well.

It’s been well documented how adamant Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers staff are about giving maximum effort during practice. Everything the data shows echoes what is said by those who coached Brown, which is that this is an exceptional athlete who is going to work his tail off, no matter what setting he is in.

Last edited:
Purdy on schedule.

Per Lombardi:

Good news on 49ers QB Brock Purdy from KNBR: John Lynch expects him to resume throwing 12 weeks post-elbow surgery, which would be in early June. At this point, SF should develop more clarity on an exact return timeline.

Still seems to be a chance Purdy is back Week 1, but SF has been bracing for absence that stretches to Week 4

Matt Barrows via Twitter:

Just got off the phone with Jim Harbaugh. We talked about a certain mustachioed kicker. Harbaugh: "You can count on three things in life: death, taxes and Jake Moody."

👍

Upcoming 49ers offseason dates:

* Rookie minicamp: May 12-13

* OTA practices (voluntary): May 22-23, May 25, May 30-31, June 2, June 5-6, June 8

* Minicamp (mandatory): June 13-15

Watching the Wild Card game vs Seattle this past January on NFL Network right now...good God this team is so fun to watch, it's getting me super pumped for the season

Halfway into the 4th quarter, Purdy had 10 completions of 18+ yards in the game. Insane.

Last edited:
Honestly, it almost feels like we didn't even draft. There is zero to be excited about imho
I mean, we grabbed a few players who should contribute right away, but we were so stacked before the draft, it's almost like we're drafting for depth for the most part.

They were so stacked that they didn't have a QB for the second half of a playoff game.

The 49ers still don't have an answer at QB. All they have right now is a rotation of "which QB can get them through a few games until they need to start another one". Why does that happen?

Because they are not stacked enough to even keep a mediocre QB healthy despite playing one of the easiest SoS last season.

Watching the Wild Card game vs Seattle this past January on NFL Network right now...good God this team is so fun to watch, it's getting me super pumped for the season

Halfway into the 4th quarter, Purdy had 10 completions of 18+ yards in the game. Insane.
Yes, they are fun to watch

Get well Brock, although I am looking forward to seeing how Lance looks in camp/preseason. Just turning 23 next week and fully healthy. Will be interesting if he starts the season and plays well.

Get well Brock, although I am looking forward to seeing how Lance looks in camp/preseason. Just turning 23 next week and fully healthy. Will be interesting if he starts the season and plays well.
Really would like to see Lance moved. Gonna be such a weird career if they just keep him on the bench this year and not pick up his 5th year option. Maybe the long game play is to get a comp pick? You'd think you'd rather have a 2nd or 3rd rounder *next* year in any trade scenario vs the end of the 3rd round in 2025....But they may tell us more about Brock's progression or their calculation if 1. he will be ready and 2. if he "really" is the guy. Small sample sizes all around.

Really would like to see Lance moved. Gonna be such a weird career if they just keep him on the bench this year and not pick up his 5th year option. Maybe the long game play is to get a comp pick? You'd think you'd rather have a 2nd or 3rd rounder *next* year in any trade scenario vs the end of the 3rd round in 2025....But they may tell us more about Brock's progression or their calculation if 1. he will be ready and 2. if he "really" is the guy. Small sample sizes all around.
Definitely an "outside the box" situation with the way Purdy played last year. There just wasn't anything flukish about his performance and he should get better the more he plays. Normally a 3rd overall pick goes to the front of the line until there is a sample size large enough to show they can't do the job (Zach Wilson).

As far as Lance, I don't think a 3rd year comp is the end game (long game). As far as 2023, while the news on Purdy has been positive and the hope is that he is ready early in the season, it's not 100 percent, so they will keep Lance unless they get a crazy good offer, which they won't. Also, he is just turning 23 and they want to see what they have. IMO, the ideal scenario is Lance gets the first 4-6 weeks while Purdy heals and is 100 percent.

Until they are 100 percent sure that Purdy is 100 percent, Lance stays.

Definitely an "outside the box" situation with the way Purdy played last year. There just wasn't anything flukish about his performance and he should get better the more he plays. Normally a 3rd overall pick goes to the front of the line until there is a sample size large enough to show they can't do the job (Zach Wilson).

As far as Lance, I don't think a 3rd year comp is the end game (long game). As far as 2023, while the news on Purdy has been positive and the hope is that he is ready early in the season, it's not 100 percent, so they will keep Lance unless they get a crazy good offer, which they won't. Also, he is just turning 23 and they want to see what they have. IMO, the ideal scenario is Lance gets the first 4-6 weeks while Purdy heals and is 100 percent.

Bryce Harper just returned from this surgery in 6 months.

I don't think they trade Lance

Bryce Harper just returned from this surgery in 6 months.
That was Tommy John surgery, no?

They were so stacked that they didn't have a QB for the second half of a playoff game.

The 49ers still don't have an answer at QB. All they have right now is a rotation of "which QB can get them through a few games until they need to start another one". Why does that happen?

Because they are not stacked enough to even keep a mediocre QB healthy despite playing one of the easiest SoS last season.

Stacked BEFORE THE DRAFT, not last season. Reading is FUNdamental. SMH

Stacked BEFORE THE DRAFT, not last season. Reading is FUNdamental. SMH
He's on ignore, but I'll assume it was something about Felipe Alou and Larry Krueger impacting the 2023 49ers season :doh:

Matt Barrows via Twitter:

Just got off the phone with Jim Harbaugh. We talked about a certain mustachioed kicker. Harbaugh: "You can count on three things in life: death, taxes and Jake Moody."

👍
never had a kicker on my preseason must draft in my fantasy team list before. the hype is real.

After I saw this, I watched the 2nd half while I was doing some things around the house. Yeah, really fun game to rewatch. However, Kroft missed a couple blocks that brought back bad memories of Purdy getting hurt. He’s really bad at blocking. Grabbing 2 TEs in the draft that can block looking better now 🙄

Oh man. I'm going to the game in Pittsburgh this season...looks like I might have to start planning now!! Week 1?!

Known matchup dates/times
  • Week 1: at Steelers (Unconfirmed)
  • Week 3: vs. Giants (TNF; Unconfirmed)
  • Week 5: vs. Cowboys (SNF, per NFL)
  • Week 7: at Vikings (MNF; Unconfirmed)
  • Week 12: at Seahawks (Thanksgiving night; Unconfirmed)
  • Week 13: at Eagles (per NFL, WTOV9 reported first)
  • Week 15: at Cardinals (Unconfirmed)
  • Week 16: vs. Ravens (Christmas night; Unconfirmed)
  • Week 18: vs. Rams (Unconfirmed)

Note: "Unconfirmed" listings are based on what I am hearing and should be treated as a rumor until an official media member reports it.

Last edited:
Full schedule.

Short summary: There's *a lot* of travel. Nearly 30,000 miles of it. And four 10 a.m. PT early starts.

The 49ers will play on BOTH Thanksgiving and Christmas Days in 2023. Road game at Seattle and home game versus Baltimore, respectively.

5 primetime games for the 49ers...

vs. NYG TNF
vs. Cowboys SNF
at Vikings MNF
at Seahawks Thanksgiving TNF
vs. Ravens Christmas MNF

2023 49ers schedule
WEEKDATEOPPONENTTIME
1Sept. 10team-logo-55-50x50.pngat Steelers10 a.m. PT
2Sept. 17team-logo-59-50x50.pngat Rams1:05 p.m. PT
3Sept. 21team-logo-51-50x50.pngGiants5:15 p.m. PT
4Oct. 1team-logo-31-50x50.pngCardinals1:25 p.m. PT