What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers: Phase one of offseason workout program has begun, OTAs start May 20th (6 Viewers)

How about this for cost efficiency:

The 49ers have signed all 21 incoming rookies — 9 draftees and 12 UDFAs — ahead of today's minicamp practice.

Total cost on the salary cap: $891,635

Cap wizards, they are.

Everything - EVERYTHING - will come down to qb performance. But assuming average to good results at that position I'd guess 10 or 11 wins, right at the Vegas number. Get us to the Playoffs and I'll be happy.

For the first time in the Shanahan era, the 49ers’ defensive coordinator will coach from the booth and not the field. Steve Wilks said he’ll be upstairs during games.

Saleh and Ryans were both emotional presences on the sidelines, this will be a bit different. It'll be interesting to see how it works.

Minicamp updates

Here are some highlights from Steve Wilks' media session:

• "Everything we do starts up front," so pass rush will continue to be a key for the 49ers' defense.
  • Javon Kinlaw and Drake Jackson have both impressed Wilks so far. Jackson has bulked up some.
  • The 49ers will likely blitz a little more under Wilks, than under the previous regimes, to take advantage of the talent and speed at linebacker. You may have heard that Dre Greenlaw and Fred Warner are pretty good.
  • Wilks said Ji'Ayir Brown's tape jumps out at you and that he makes plays all over. Wilks seems really high on Brown and rookie corner Darrell Luter.
  • Wilks said he plans on being in the booth on game days, rather than on the sidelines.
  • He also said cornerback Isaiah Oliver will play nickel for the 49ers. "We wanted to make sure that we sort of got the best nickel in free agency," Wilks said, "and that's what we went out and did. So I'm excited about Oliver. He's long, he's physical, can tackle, can cover. He's going to be a good blitzer for us, everything that we do within this defense."
  • The 49ers will continue to use a lot of zone concepts, but it sounds as though they will play more man coverage than in previous years. Said Wilks, "I feel like we have the skill set and the talent to be able to get in a guy's face, press man, make the quarterback hold the ball, particularly with our (defensive) front."

Biggest takeaways from the weekend:

• Barrows reported both quarterbacks who attended the rookie camp had some deep-ball completions. Steven Montez connected twice with seventh-round pick Ronnie Bell, who Barrows said was "was prominent in the session." Clayton Thorson had a 30-yard throw to wideout Tay Martin (the second-year wide receiver who was invited to rookie minicamp), and an even longer bomb to Jahcour Pearson, the Ole Miss receiver who attended camp on a tryout basis.
  • Now here's the news that I thought was the biggest piece of news from the minicamp. Barrows wrote, "Thorson's arm strength is newsworthy considering he suffered an elbow injury nearly a year ago while playing for the USFL's Houston Gamblers — in a game against the Philadelphia Stars — and had the same 'internal brace' procedure that Brock Purdy had in March. Thorson did not appear to be hindered in Friday's session." This is excellent news for Purdy and the 49ers, especially if Purdy can recover as Thorson has. Same injury. Same surgery. Same city (ironically). And Thorson is throwing the ball well.
  • Undrafted offensive lineman, Joey Fisher, seemed to have trouble making it through the practice, and that "he had a wet towel applied to his neck and didn't participate in the last 20 or so minutes." That's not a good sign, but Fisher has a couple of months to get in shape.
  • Barrows said that tight end Cameron Latu looked "bigger, sturdier than expected," that linebacker Jalen Graham is "tall, long-limbed, almost looks like a DE," and that right tackle Leroy Watson, a one-time tight end, has "bulked up considerably. Well into the 300-pound range."
  • By all accounts, it sounds like Bell looked great at wide receiver. He's not fast, but he has excellent hands.
  • Larry Krueger did an instant reaction to 49er's rookie minicamp and said that two second-year players looked really good over the weekend—defensive back, Tayler Hawkins, and wideout Martin. Krueger said Martin, who has great ball skills, has clearly added upper body weight and strength. I pay attention to what Krueger says. After all, this time last year, he was the only one I remember saying Purdy was the steal of the draft.
  • Krueger said Brown and Luter both stood out during the minicamp.
  • Krueger, however, didn't think Latu was that impressive, and said Dee Winters looked "ok" and maybe a little overweight.
  • Brayden Willis, the Oklahoma tight end, looked better than Latu. Krueger said he reminded him some of Kyle Juszczyk, the way he moves, and that he moves better than most tight ends.
  • Krueger thought both undrafted running backs, Ronald Awatt and Khalan Laborn, looked impressive. And with the way Kyle Shanahan and Bobby Turner find running back gems, Krueger thinks they may have a couple of good ones here.
  • Krueger said Graham looked really good, better than Winters. He also liked what he saw from offensive lineman Ilm Manning, saying, "He always looks like he's trying to find someone to hit." That seems like a good quality for an offensive lineman.
  • Krueger said his biggest standout was defensive tackle Spencer Waege. He said he is 300 lbs., but moves really well for being such a big guy.
  • It also sounds like Pearson, the wide receiver who was a minicamp for a tryout, looked good, as well. It will be interesting to see if he gets signed by the 49ers

Wilks bringing the Blitzkrieg to the Bay? Can't wait to watch this team win the SB this season.

Per Lombardi:

In 2022 under DeMeco Ryans, the 49ers' defense blitzed 21.6% of the time — #20 in the NFL.

This was an uptick from the Robert Saleh days, when the 49ers ranked near bottom in blitz rate.

Last time Steve Wilks was DC (Browns, 2019), Cleveland's blitz rate was 38.2% (#5 in NFL)

NFL 2023 Net Rest Edges

net rest = total days of extra rest vs a team's opponents over the course of the season

+12: NYJ, CHI, WAS
+11: TEN
+10: CLE
+9: BAL
+8
+7: MIA, PIT
+6: NE
+5: ARI
+4: NO, IND
+3: DEN
+2
+1: DAL, DET
0: GB, BUF
-1: CAR, CIN, JAX
-2: HOU, MIN
-4: SEA, LV
-6: TB, LAC, PHI
-9: NYG
-12: ATL
-13: KC
-17: LA
-20: SF

(positive net rest is good, negative is bad)

San Francisco 49ers Schedule Notes:​

The San Francisco 49ers stand out as the team that was negatively impacted the most. They have a negative-20 day net rest edge.

How is that possible? Well, for starters they play four teams coming off bye weeks:

• Week 6 @ Cleveland (who are off a Week 5 bye)
  • Week 8 vs Cincinnati (who are off a Week 7 bye)
  • Week 10 @ Jacksonville (both SF and JAX are off Week 9 byes)
  • Week 15 @Arizona (who are off a Week 14 bye)
Considering both teams have byes ahead of the Week 10 matchup, that particular game does not impact the net rest calculations as the rest disparity sums to zero.

However, the game vs the Bengals in Week 8 gives Cincinnati plus-eight days of rest edge as the 49ers play on Monday Night in Minnesota in Week 7. Thus, the 49ers are coming off of a short-week road game with reduced rest while the Bengals are off a bye.

Three of these four games are on the road.

Additionally, the 49ers must face the Seahawks late in the season (Week 14) when Seattle is off a nice “mini-bye,” having played Week 13 on Thursday night and obtaining a plus-three day rest advantage over their division rival 49ers in Week 14.

The 49ers also play Washington in Week 17 on a short week. The 49ers play on Monday night in Week 16 at home vs the Ravens and then must travel across the country to visit the Commanders for an early 1 pm game just six days later in Week 17.

In total, the 49ers play five games with a rest disadvantage, and the total days of rest disadvantage they have in those games is 26 days.

They get two games with rest advantage: Week 4 vs the Cardinals follows a “mini-bye” off a Week 3 San Francisco home game on Thursday Night, and Week 13 @ the Eagles features an extra three days of rest and prep as the 49ers play Thanksgiving night in Week 12.

Now juxtapose that rest disadvantage totaling 26 days against a team like the Bears, who play zero games with a rest disadvantage and are tied at No. 1 in the NFL with a net rest edge of plus-12 days.

It definitely will be difficult for the 49ers this year

NFL 2023 Net Rest Edges

net rest = total days of extra rest vs a team's opponents over the course of the season

+12: NYJ, CHI, WAS
+11: TEN
+10: CLE
+9: BAL
+8
+7: MIA, PIT
+6: NE
+5: ARI
+4: NO, IND
+3: DEN
+2
+1: DAL, DET
0: GB, BUF
-1: CAR, CIN, JAX
-2: HOU, MIN
-4: SEA, LV
-6: TB, LAC, PHI
-9: NYG
-12: ATL
-13: KC
-17: LA
-20: SF

(positive net rest is good, negative is bad)

San Francisco 49ers Schedule Notes:​

The San Francisco 49ers stand out as the team that was negatively impacted the most. They have a negative-20 day net rest edge.

How is that possible? Well, for starters they play four teams coming off bye weeks:

• Week 6 @ Cleveland (who are off a Week 5 bye)
  • Week 8 vs Cincinnati (who are off a Week 7 bye)
  • Week 10 @ Jacksonville (both SF and JAX are off Week 9 byes)
  • Week 15 @Arizona (who are off a Week 14 bye)
Considering both teams have byes ahead of the Week 10 matchup, that particular game does not impact the net rest calculations as the rest disparity sums to zero.

However, the game vs the Bengals in Week 8 gives Cincinnati plus-eight days of rest edge as the 49ers play on Monday Night in Minnesota in Week 7. Thus, the 49ers are coming off of a short-week road game with reduced rest while the Bengals are off a bye.

Three of these four games are on the road.

Additionally, the 49ers must face the Seahawks late in the season (Week 14) when Seattle is off a nice “mini-bye,” having played Week 13 on Thursday night and obtaining a plus-three day rest advantage over their division rival 49ers in Week 14.

The 49ers also play Washington in Week 17 on a short week. The 49ers play on Monday night in Week 16 at home vs the Ravens and then must travel across the country to visit the Commanders for an early 1 pm game just six days later in Week 17.

In total, the 49ers play five games with a rest disadvantage, and the total days of rest disadvantage they have in those games is 26 days.

They get two games with rest advantage: Week 4 vs the Cardinals follows a “mini-bye” off a Week 3 San Francisco home game on Thursday Night, and Week 13 @ the Eagles features an extra three days of rest and prep as the 49ers play Thanksgiving night in Week 12.

Now juxtapose that rest disadvantage totaling 26 days against a team like the Bears, who play zero games with a rest disadvantage and are tied at No. 1 in the NFL with a net rest edge of plus-12 days.

It definitely will be difficult for the 49ers this year
Actually you are incorrect.

The probability of winning at home after a bye is actually slightly lower after a bye week, .5711 compared to .5787. More interestingly, winning on the road is considerably more likely after a bye week, .4697 compared to .4212.
Plus the Niners have Cmac so it's really a matter of if the NFL will force Shanahan not to use him to give the other teams a chance.

Here's another article about the rest disparity

Sharp’s excellent deep dive into the schedule shows a sizable disadvantage for San Francisco. They have an NFL-worst rest disadvantage with their opponents totaling 20 more days of rest over the course of the season. The Jets, Bears and Commanders all enjoy a league-best 12 more days of rest than their opponents over the course of the year.

The only weeks the 49ers will hold an advantage are in Week 4 vs. the Cardinals when they have extra days off from their Thursday night game in Week 4 vs. the Giants. They’ll have the same advantage when they visit the Eagles in Week 13 after playing on Thanksgiving.

Those two three-day advantages are the only time the 49ers will have more rest than an opponent all season, and those extra days off matter a ton in a league where health is paramount to winning championships.

Here's another article about the rest disparity

Sharp’s excellent deep dive into the schedule shows a sizable disadvantage for San Francisco. They have an NFL-worst rest disadvantage with their opponents totaling 20 more days of rest over the course of the season. The Jets, Bears and Commanders all enjoy a league-best 12 more days of rest than their opponents over the course of the year.

The only weeks the 49ers will hold an advantage are in Week 4 vs. the Cardinals when they have extra days off from their Thursday night game in Week 4 vs. the Giants. They’ll have the same advantage when they visit the Eagles in Week 13 after playing on Thanksgiving.

Those two three-day advantages are the only time the 49ers will have more rest than an opponent all season, and those extra days off matter a ton in a league where health is paramount to winning championships.
How's it a disadvantage. Just saying it doesn't make it so. SF is net -20, but the stats show the away games are a push. Add 21 back to the -20 and the 49ers are +1.

Actually you are incorrect.
I didn't write the article
Well then I'm correcting your spread of fake news. :lol:
The article I posted isn't about wins or losses after a bye :shrug:
Please explain to me what it's about.
It's about rest disparity, which is all explained in the article.
All of that disparity is facing teams on the road after after a bye where there is historically zero advantage having rest days.

13-4 this season. Our losses:

PIT - we start slow and stumble out of the gate
CIN - Joe Brr is pretty good
SEA - we split with them this season
LAR - week 18 when we rest some starters

Don't shoot the messenger.

The Brock Purdy rule has passed.

Per Rapsheet:

The NFL bylaw on allowing a third QB to be active without burning a roster spot was approved, per source.

Per Rapsheet:

The NFL bylaw on allowing a third QB to be active without burning a roster spot was approved, per source.
I see maybe 2 teams other than the Niners doing this. No one is wasting 3 roster spots on the QB position on gameday for the most part.

Per Rapsheet:

Per Rapsheet:

I see maybe 2 teams other than the Niners doing this. No one is wasting 3 roster spots on the QB position on gameday for the most part.
What am I missing between these two posts?

Couldn't tell you. Eagles fans have an issue with the rule for some reason.

:shrug:
I have no issue with the rule at all. I think we all think its just funny, to go along with the players/coaches still obsessing over the game with the "We woulda won it with Purdy" narrative.
I don't see anyone saying that, at least not for about 3 months now. But you keep going back to it if it makes you feel better

Couldn't tell you. Eagles fans have an issue with the rule for some reason.

:shrug:
I have no issue with the rule at all. I think we all think its just funny, to go along with the players/coaches still obsessing over the game with the "We woulda won it with Purdy" narrative.
I don't see anyone saying that, at least not for about 3 months now. But you keep going back to it if it makes you feel better
Deebo Samuel 15 days ago: https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/07/d...n a recent interview with,, they would've won.

Kyle Shanahan 10 days ago: https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/...n-francisco-49ers-kyle-shanahan-2023-schedule

Not trolling actually to be honest. Just stating that coaches/players on the 49ers are *still* bringing it up.

Excited for the matchup this year.

Not trolling actually to be honest. Just stating that coaches/players on the 49ers are *still* bringing it up.
Neither brought it up, but if it helps you sleep at night, run with that narrative.

Deebo commented when he was asked about Aiyuk saying the 49ers are the best team in the league despite the NFCCG loss. Deebo agreed and then said it would have been different without the injuries. I'm not sure why that touches a nerve with you.

Shanahan was also asked about it at the Dwight Clark legacy event.

"While speaking with NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco and Laura Britt at the Dwight Clark Legacy Series event on Wednesday night, Shanahan was asked about playing the Eagles in Week 13 of the 2023 NFL Season.

"I'm good with it," Shanahan said. "I don't really look past Week 1. So I'm waiting for that first week, which I may or may not know. And, once I see that, that's all you plan for and then after that, you deal with it. Now I am glad we're not playing Philly Week 1. I want to play him at a better time. I want to make sure our whole team is right there."

I don't see either saying the 49ers would have won, but it definitely would have been a different game. Anyone who says otherwise should stop watching football.

So nobody is "still bringing it up". Let it go, man. Let it go.

Interesting.

NFL has now had a "Third QB Rule" twice, and both times its creation was a result of a visiting team running out of QBs in Philadelphia:

-1991, Washington forced to play RB Brian Mitchell at QB in "The Body Bag Game" at the Vet

-2023, 49ers had to had to re-insert an injured Brock Purdy into the NFC Championship game

Per Rapsheet:

Isn't the point of the rule that you can dress a 3rd QB without the 3rd QB counting against your active players? The 3rd QB can only come in if the other 2 get hurt. Seems that all teams would take advantage of it.

When the rule was in effect previously, I thought it made sense. Nobody wants to see a team without a QB in case both got hurt. Not sure why the NFL thought it was a bad idea and got ride of it.

Per Rapsheet:

Isn't the point of the rule that you can dress a 3rd QB without the 3rd QB counting against your active players? The 3rd QB can only come in if the other 2 get hurt. Seems that all teams would take advantage of it.

When the rule was in effect previously, I thought it made sense. Nobody wants to see a team without a QB in case both got hurt. Not sure why the NFL thought it was a bad idea and got ride of it.
There was never a rule that stopped any team from carrying 4/5/6 QB's either. Its just a matter of asset management overall. There are like 15 "pretty good QB's in the league, maybe 5-8 average ones and you got the bottom teams usually with "bad QB play" and we are talking about starting QB's. I think the league basically was like "well whats the difference between the 50th best QB to the 75th best QB" and the truth is, there isn't much. Once you get to your backup QB, you count your lucky stars you can win a few games during a stretch until the starter comes back. Once you are on your 3rd QB, I am on the same page "its pretty much over" although Brock Purdy last year seems to be a giant exception to this rule. No one has been carrying 3 active QB's on game day like forever, but hey, the 49ers think they can really make a difference by taking advantage of this, so they proposed the rule and the league obliged, bc tv ratings or whatever the logic is to have it. I'd like to see a list of the top 10 3rd string QB's in the NFL, that would be an interesting discussion.

Per Rapsheet:

There was never a rule that stopped any team from carrying 4/5/6 QB's either. Its just a matter of asset management overall. There are like 15 "pretty good QB's in the league, maybe 5-8 average ones and you got the bottom teams usually with "bad QB play" and we are talking about starting QB's. I think the league basically was like "well whats the difference between the 50th best QB to the 75th best QB" and the truth is, there isn't much. Once you get to your backup QB, you count your lucky stars you can win a few games during a stretch until the starter comes back. Once you are on your 3rd QB, I am on the same page "its pretty much over" although Brock Purdy last year seems to be a giant exception to this rule. No one has been carrying 3 active QB's on game day like forever, but hey, the 49ers think they can really make a difference by taking advantage of this, so they proposed the rule and the league obliged, bc tv ratings or whatever the logic is to have it. I'd like to see a list of the top 10 3rd string QB's in the NFL, that would be an interesting discussion.
It was over once Purdy got hurt. Josh Johnson wasn't going to win that game against Philly, so obviously in that situation, someone who is worse than Josh Johnson wouldn't have made a difference either.

However, I still like the rule of having a 3rd QB dress who doesn't count against the game roster. In some instances, it might make a difference in the outcome, especially if the injuries happen later in the game when it's close.

Prior to 2011, teams dressed 45 active players and were able designate 1 emergency QB for a total of 46 players. Then they changed the rule to have 46 active players, allowing teams to carry their 2 QBs plus an extra at any position, for a total of 46 active players. Same number of active players.

Now for whatever reason, they changed it yet again to allow 46 active players *plus* an emergency 3rd QB, for a total of 47 active players. They've effectively just expanded the active roster by 1 player.

Teams were not restricted in carrying a 3rd QB prior to this rule change.

Prior to 2011, teams dressed 45 active players and were able designate 1 emergency QB for a total of 46 players. Then they changed the rule to have 46 active players, allowing teams to carry their 2 QBs plus an extra at any position, for a total of 46 active players. Same number of active players.

Now for whatever reason, they changed it yet again to allow 46 active players *plus* an emergency 3rd QB, for a total of 47 active players. They've effectively just expanded the active roster by 1 player.

But carrying a 3rd QB counted against the roster limit. Teams carrying a 3rd QB lost another position player. Regardless of the amount of players active, I like the rule of carrying a 3rd QB who doesn't count against the game day roster. It makes sense. Chances of two QBs getting hurt the same game is slim but it happens and nobody wants to see a RB/WR play QB.

But carrying a 3rd QB counted against the roster limit. Teams carrying a 3rd QB lost another position player. Regardless of the amount of players active, I like the rule of carrying a 3rd QB who doesn't count against the game day roster. It makes sense. Chances of two QBs getting hurt the same game is slim but it happens and nobody wants to see a RB/WR play QB.
If you go back prior to 2011, the active roster was 45 + emergency QB. After 2011 until today, it was still 45 + another player QB or otherwise. Teams just chose to add another position player and go with 2 QBs. They could have continued to carry 3 and the same 45 as it was prior to 2011. Now teams (or at least SF) were choosing to carry 2 QBs and add a position player elsewhere. Teams only *lost* another position player if they so chose. The 2011 rule change gave teams another position player IF they decided to go with 2 QBs.

The active game day roster has now increased over what it was before they changed the 2011 rule.

but hey, the 49ers think they can really make a difference by taking advantage of this, so they proposed the rule and the league obliged

Not sure why you're in this thread, other than to deliver jabs like this one.
I'm seriously not trolling or jabbing, its just a matter of practicality. Who was the 3rd QB that could have come in last year instead of having McAffery play QB? Was there a guy that was even on the practice squad that you guys could have taken advantage of had this rule been in place last year?

but hey, the 49ers think they can really make a difference by taking advantage of this, so they proposed the rule and the league obliged

Not sure why you're in this thread, other than to deliver jabs like this one.
I'm seriously not trolling or jabbing, its just a matter of practicality. Who was the 3rd QB that could have come in last year instead of having McAffery play QB? Was there a guy that was even on the practice squad that you guys could have taken advantage of had this rule been in place last year?
Dude

LET IT GO.

OTA notes from Twitter:

Lombardi:

I thought Christian McCaffrey really set a tone today at OTAs. The 49ers obviously didn't have him yet last year at this time, but CMC practices SO hard — he was flying even in the helmetless 11v11 period. A lot of energy on the field today he generated a good deal of it.

Based on what I've seen from 49ers rookie Ronnie Bell over rookie minicamp and this first open OTA practice, he has sticky hands.

Bell hasn't come close to dropping a pass yet. Exudes the vibe of a dependable receiver. Shanahan loved his route running coming out of Michigan.

Krueger:

Takeaways from #49ers’ OTAs

-Lance’s motion looked cleaner to me and he threw fewer wobbly passes
-Darnold threw the ball well.
-McCaffrey stood out and seemed to be going 100%
-Drake Jackson looked bulked up in the upper body and still looked very explosive
-Darrell Luter Jr looks impressive to me w/smothering characteristics
-Backup DL like Waege, Davidson, Davis really stood out.
-Kinlaw looks too light to me. Extremely lean
-McCrary-Ball and Graham looked explosive but Winters looked sluggish but had one good play in coverage.

More OTA stuff

Tuesday’s seven-on-seven drills meant that there were no linemen on the field. Both Lance and Darnold finished 11-for-15 on their attempts. Darnold seemed like the more aggressive of the two, including on a deep pass down the sideline to speedster Danny Gray.

The most accurate passer was the fourth quarterback, Brandon Allen. He was 6-for-6 on his attempts, which included a long pass down the middle of the field to tight end Troy Fumagalli.

• A number of prominent 49ers either didn’t attend the voluntary practice or were held out of the session as a precaution. That list included Nick Bosa, Trent Williams, Deebo Samuel, Javon Hargrave, Talanoa Hufanga and Ray-Ray McCloud.

Fred Warner was present and helped coach up young linebackers like Marcelino McCrary-Ball, who lined up at middle linebacker. But Warner didn’t take part. The same was true for fellow linebacker Dre Greenlaw, cornerback Charvarius Ward and receiver Jauan Jennings.

• The two most high-profile players who took part in the practice: running back Christian McCaffrey and tight end George Kittle. McCaffrey seemed to be practicing at regular-season speed.

“I’m used to it,” Darnold, who was a teammate of McCaffrey’s in Carolina, said after practice. “He has a work ethic that’s never going to change.”

The most prominent defensive player Tuesday was the team’s new nickel cornerback, Isaiah Oliver. At a little over 6 feet tall and weighing roughly 205 pounds, Oliver is the biggest player the team’s had at that position in recent memory.

He didn’t have any trouble moving his weight. He broke up two short passes from Lance and another from Darnold and otherwise seemed to be all over the field. Oliver is wearing No. 22, the same number Carlos Rogers — who served as nickel cornerback — had when he was with San Francisco a decade ago.

• While Oliver was prolific, the best defensive play was turned in by rookie cornerback Darrell Luter Jr. The fifth-round pick seemed to be a step behind Gray when Darnold uncorked a deep pass down the sideline. But he caught up to the play and knocked the ball away, prompting his defensive teammates to come running off the sideline to congratulate him.

• With Ward not practicing, Deommodore Lenoir and Samuel Womack III were the first-team cornerbacks. Luter and Ambry Thomas worked with the second unit. With Hufanga absent, Tashaun Gipson Sr. and George Odum were the first-string safeties with top draft pick Ji’Ayir Brown and Tayler Hawkins working with the second group. Another defensive back, Qwuantrezz Knight, had his hand in a cast and did not practice.

• Two other rookie standouts on Tuesday: Seventh-round picks Brayden Willis and Ronnie Bell. Willis had a nice one-handed snag of a fastball from Darnold in the middle of the field. Bell, meanwhile, was the most prolific receiver of the day, just as he was at the 49ers’ rookie minicamp earlier this month. This is the very start of the spring season, of course, and it’s impossible to make any real assessments. But suffice to say, Bell has gotten off to a nice start.

• With Williams absent, Jaylon Moore lined up at left tackle with the first-team unit. Colton McKivitz, as expected, is the new starting right tackle, taking over for Mike McGlinchey, who signed with the Broncos in the offseason.

Two defensive line starters, Bosa and Hargrave, were absent. Their starting spots were filled by Drake Jackson and Javon Kinlaw, respectively. Jackson looks more muscular, especially in his upper body, than he did a year ago. Kinlaw, meanwhile, looks slimmer and is starting to resemble tall, linear teammate Arik Armstead in terms of his silhouette.

Finally, here’s what happened in the 49ers’ kicker battle: Both rookie Jake Moody and veteran Zane Gonzalez got four attempts, the last from approximately 50 yards from the right hashmark into the wind. Both made their first three attempts … but missed the fourth wide left.

From The Athletic:

Kyle Shanahan really isn’t trying to make this a mystery. He knows his QB1. And it's the guy recovering from elbow surgery, writes Tim Kawakami.

Brock Purdy will get the first crack when he's healthy. Just listen to Shanahan:

Kawakami: It’s Brock Purdy QB1 and then everybody else — the 49ers’ situation looks confusing, but it’s not.​

What stood out after watching the practice and listening to Shanahan, Purdy, Darnold and Lance speak to the media, one after the other? That the only questionable thing about Purdy’s status as the 49ers’ starting QB is his elbow — and his elbow recovery is becoming less of a cliffhanger issue every day.

Purdy is QB1. Nothing is guaranteed or permanent in football, but the entire premise of the 49ers’ QB situation, at this point, is that Purdy is first among equals because he earned it last December and January. Everything else — Lance’s practice time, Darnold’s arrival, the blurry timeline for Purdy’s return to full-go action — is about caution, not uncertainty.

Just listen to Shanahan’s answer when he was asked if this was the most talented QB group he’s had during his 49ers tenure, which is now headed into its seventh season:

“I don’t want to compare it to other years, but we have two guys who are talented enough to be taken in the top five of the draft and we have another guy who played like it last year,” Shanahan said.

Two guys who are talented enough to be taken in the top five. One guy who played like it. This, for Shanahan, is pretty direct, or at least as direct as he’s going to get with three-and-a-half months to go before the first meaningful snap of 2023.

The 49ers have gone through some things at QB the last few seasons. It doesn’t do them much to get stuck on any public QB proclamation while Purdy’s elbow is healing.

But Shanahan and Lynch know more now. They also probably are feeling pretty good about Lance and Darnold as credible options, too. But Purdy’s the main guy until proven otherwise, and it sure feels like this is headed toward Purdy participating close to 100 percent at some point in training camp.

“Yeah, it’s not really a moving target,” Shanahan said when asked about the changing timelines through this process. “It’s that only God knows, and it’s all estimates, so it depends what quote people have got from me. But we’re hoping for Week 1 and I feel pretty optimistic about that. That’s what we’re hoping for, that he’ll be ready to play in Week 1 and usually that doesn’t mean that’s the day he comes back. Usually, you have to come before that to make that goal and that’s kind of the goal we’re hoping for. And I don’t have any reason to think differently.”

Shanahan said there isn’t much meaning in Lance getting the first-team reps this week and for pure football reasons, I get that. Darnold will get his turns. But first-teams always mean something, even if it’s mostly symbolism. I think that the 49ers want to make sure Lance understands how much they appreciate him and how much more room there is for him to grow, either as a great backup for Purdy or, if something happens to Purdy, as a QB who can win a lot of games. Maybe some very big games.

It’s not a terrible situation for the 49ers, who ran out of QBs in the playoffs last season and who have had entire seasons crumble after Garoppolo injuries when they didn’t have a good backup lined up. It’s actually a very good situation — Purdy, Lance, Darnold and Allen, in that order, about as clear as you can get these days.

Last edited:
Those wondering how the new 3rd QB Rule would have affected the NFC Championship game, Matt Barrows addressed that question in his latest mailbag article:

If the rule had been in effect then, the 49ers could have signed a fourth quarterback to their 53-man roster and then designated him as the emergency third quarterback for the Eagles game. Maybe that QB would have been Jacob Eason, who was on the practice squad from mid-November through Jan 3.

That QB could have then entered the game after Purdy and Josh Johnson left with injuries and remained in the game as long as they were medically ruled out. They can’t enter the game simply for performance reasons.

The team would have had to make room on the 53-man squad, perhaps by waiving someone like Ambry Thomas or Nick Zakelj, then signing them to the practice squad, then elevating them to the game-day roster.

Wouldn't have helped us win, but at least we wouldn't have had to have CMC take QB snaps.

Last edited:
This will be my last post about the Brock Purdy rule because I don't really care about it, I just post the articles that show up on my Niner sites.

For those of you who misunderstand the “why” of the Brock Purdy rule:​

Cliffnotes: (spoiler: ratings)

the 49ers weren’t the ones who submitted the rule, the Detroit Lions did, and other teams supported it.

A 3rd QB would at least make the game watchable at-best and background noise while you did something else at-worst instead of just shutting it off. This is the league saying if San Francisco had a third quarterback, people would have watched from beginning to end.

When people don’t watch, all those ads businesses spent a pretty penny on are not seen and then everyone looks at the league like they just robbed them.

So none of this was because the 49ers complained about not having a third stringer. This was the Lions proposing that when you lose your starting quarterback you at least have a chance and a majority of teams agreeing because ratings wins, and the league passed it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Really hope Ronnie Bell works out for you guys. He was a true leader and high character guy at Michigan. Tough as nails. Highly competitive and eager to mix it up blocking for RB's.

Bell is a baller! There will be a place for him in the NFL.

Rapoport: Brock Purdy's recovery going as well as 49ers could've hoped​

The article says he could be ready by week one but I might agree with Rohan Chakravarthi:

One thing Rapoport mentions: Expected to be ready by early September.

Which means missing all of camp and likely preseason.

Last week, Kyle Shanahan did express a desire for practice reps before being in games.

So, still expecting Trey Lance or Darnold to start Week 1.

I'll be at the week 1 game in Pittsburgh, I'd really like to see Purdy or Lance start, so it'll prob be Darnold.

Purdy describes 'night-and-day difference' from rookie season

Purdy is convinced he has made significant strides this offseason. He continues to make improvements in his understanding of the 49ers’ offense and his responsibilities. Purdy recalls the difficulties he faced a year ago.

“Last year, every single night, it's like [I’d] study and sort of stress out about I got to learn this concept and this one and go run it at OTAs, and try to prove myself to my teammates and coaches,” Purdy said.

“Obviously this year I'm not out in the field, but being able to when a play call comes in and I hear it and I can see it better mentally, and it just happens a little bit quicker,” he said.

“But there's still a lot of details and things that I can clean up with how I operate and see the defense. So that's what I'm working on right now. But I think it’s like a night-and-day difference coming in as a rookie compared to now.”

The 49ers have had a QB start every game in a season just five times since 2002 and just once since 2014. They were:

Alex Smith (2006, 2011)
Kaepernick: (2013, 2014)
Garoppolo: (2019)

I barely remember what it's like to have a legit franchise QB.

Users who are viewing this thread