What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (33 Viewers)

Laporta is just such a good all round route runner. He’s not super athletic but some of the replays today were showing him shaking decent coverage with quick feet and a change of direction. Safe hands. Has become so trusted by Goff. It’s lessened the load off of Sun God to a degree as well.

Bobby will have more precise stats I’m sure but since the Baltimore debacle Jamo is 9 catches on 12 targets and some of those he took massive hits and held on to the ball. Two games in a row he’s been targeted and caught the ball on the opening drive and then …. Nothing until very late in the game or we are in trouble. I’d like to see him begin to get used more and extensively going forward. Nothing major but 5-6 targets as opposed to 2-3.

What an amazing start today, really felt like they were pissed off and angry about Thanksgiving. Run game started so well, but it was a little concerning to see how badly it got bottled up as the game went on and Ragnow was out.

Irwin looks like a useful addition.
Campbell I feel had a good game. He’s being asked to do a lot and it’s a steep curve for him but I do enjoy his run D

I just feel like we aren’t going to go deep with this defence, but one step at a time, we have other closer objectives that we need to cross off and remove as a statistic

Division Champs
A home playoff game
A playoff win

Let’s just keep trucking on. Dallas have been sensational of late, I’m really looking forward to that fixture in particular to see how we match up and perform

I agree @TartanLion - just enjoy them for what they are, they find ways to win. We cannot match DAL-PHI-SF in defensive intensity and the talent gap on that side of the ball is a pretty large expanse.

Offense is top 5 and pulling back, this is one of the Lions best seasons in their history. If they win their first division title in 30 years, that alone is remarkable achievement in Year 3 of a complete tear down and rebuild.

I don't expect them to compete for the Super Bowl. If we had made a trade deadline deal for a CB or Edge, we might have a puncher's chance. With their current defensive roster, they don't have enough dudes. But I know that Coach Campbell will have them prepared. We'll see what happens.

Regardless, been a pretty special season and we still have 6-7 weeks of football left.

I agree @TartanLion - just enjoy them for what they are, they find ways to win. We cannot match DAL-PHI-SF in defensive intensity and the talent gap on that side of the ball is a pretty large expanse.

Offense is top 5 and pulling back, this is one of the Lions best seasons in their history. If they win their first division title in 30 years, that alone is remarkable achievement in Year 3 of a complete tear down and rebuild.

I don't expect them to compete for the Super Bowl. If we had made a trade deadline deal for a CB or Edge, we might have a puncher's chance. With their current defensive roster, they don't have enough dudes. But I know that Coach Campbell will have them prepared. We'll see what happens.

Regardless, been a pretty special season and we still have 6-7 weeks of football left.

Good thing is we draft well and next years draft is deep in defensive players by all accounts. Feels like we have the offensive pieces in place to be able to load up on D somewhat and also go back to the FA well to upgrade also.

The Lions have had every type of game this year. Saints was another good lesson:
  • Tough win away as underdog: Chiefs. Best start ever!
  • Easy win: Panthers
  • Tough loses: Ravens & Thanksgiving - 'nufced
  • Come from behind: Da Bears!
  • Start big, stop opp rally: Saints

I am just trying to enjoy the wins whenever they come.

Defense is not good enough yet for the final push. McNeil got banged up today and it looked like Hutch was limping towards the end of the game as well.

What were Campbells stats today?

Last edited:
Enjoy the win
Enjoy the division title
Enjoy the home playoff game

Great season all in all but a second round matchup with SF/PHI/DAL is going to be a bloodbath

Couple more pieces on defense in the offseason and the Super Bowl window should be open for a couple years

I think Brad, Dan and Sheila had a definitive plan and a specific time frame to be ready to compete for a super bowl, and it was year 4 not year 3. IMHO, it was why they were not highly agressive this year at the trade deadline. Whatever we accomplish this year is meant as a stepping stone to being a true contender next season.

17-5 is a pretty good run
Hell yes it is. After losing all those games in a row in early 2022, they have not lost 2 games in a row since Halloween 2022. Shows the bounce back ability of this team and why not to get too caught up in temporary funks. They always seem to answer the bell every round after that.

Jamo at the 20 yard line with the ball and four defenders in front of him, reminded me of a line from an old Billy Jack movie where he told the guy, "I am going to this foot and put it on that side of your face, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it." There was not a damn thing those guys could have done to stop him.

Teams in contention for top 3 seeds.

Philadelphia 10-2.......6-1
San Francisco. 9-3......7-1
Detroit. 9-3......6-2
Dallas 9-3.....6-3

Philly...@Dallas, @Sea, NYG, AZ, @NYG

SF.....Sea, @AZ, Baltimore, @Wash, LA Rams

Detroit....@Chi, Den, @Minn, @dallas, Minn

Dallas....Philly, @Buff, @Mia, Det, Wash

Detroit's path to #1 seed....win out. SF lose one and Philly lose two.

Detroit's path to #2....win out. SF lose one or Philly lose two. One Philly lose could do it, but the tie-break would go deep.

The most unlikely part is Detroit winning out. We have one or two loses left on our schedule. The way SF is playing, the only potential loss is to Baltimore, but I see them winning out. Philly could lose two, but I would guess only one. Expected outcome:

SF #1 seed @ 14-3
Philly #2 seed @ 14-3
Detroit #3 seed @ 12-5
Dallas a WC team #5 seed @ 12-5

Even getting the #2 seed is highly unlikely. We are virtually locked into being #3. I expect the other three playoff teams to be 9-8 or worse, so we would have to lose out not to be #3. There will probably be a couple losses I did not predict, but not enough to make a change except for maybe flip SF and Philly.

Last edited:
Enjoy the win
Enjoy the division title

Great season all in all but a second round matchup with SF/PHI/DAL is going to be a bloodbath

Couple more pieces on defense in the offseason and the Super Bowl window should be open for a couple years

At this point there is no real way to improve the defense in-season so either enjoy watching the team as is or check out.

Anyone expecting them to win in dominating fashion is going to be be miserable for two months.

Enjoy the win
Enjoy the division title

At this point there is no real way to improve the defense in-season so either enjoy watching the team as is or check out.

Anyone expecting them to win in dominating fashion is going to be be miserable for two months.

No so sure. We picked up Irvin, who gave our pass rush a boost in limited snaps. We have Houston and Garner-Johnson returning in a few weeks. There are a few high quality players out there who could be picked up. Nof good for us, but the Eagle or Cowboys are fighting over Shaquille Leonard. Maybe we should consider renting Suh for a few weeks. But even without a signing, Irvin's role will be expanding, with 'Ceedy Duece' playing fulltime and Houston playing over half the snaps, that will significantly improve our defense to a near top 10 again. We are not going to get near SF-level of good, but good enough to be more competitive and produce some occasional stops so we can start handling those weaker teams again.

Saints had 254 yards offense in the 2nd half

OK Scrooge. Just trying to put a little sunshine into the gloom and doom. There is the possibility that between Irvin, Houston, and Gardner-Johnson, the defense will be elevated to being decent.

Saints came in ranked 29th in the league in red zone efficiency at 42.5%. They were 4/4 in the red zone yesterday.

When is Houston coming back? Think they’re both at least a couple weeks away from having their 21-day window opened.

Saints had 254 yards offense in the 2nd half

OK Scrooge. Just trying to put a little sunshine into the gloom and doom. There is the possibility that between Irvin, Houston, and Gardner-Johnson, the defense will be elevated to being decent.

Saints came in ranked 29th in the league in red zone efficiency at 42.5%. They were 4/4 in the red zone yesterday.

When is Houston coming back? Think they’re both at least a couple weeks away from having their 21-day window opened.

As long as they are back before the playoffs, there is hope. We are basically locked into being the 3rd seed regardless. We are likely going to have to beat two of the big three (Dallas, Philly or SF). SF is the only one I think is completely hopeless. We are a year away, but we can still elevate our defense play this season. AG may have to go at some time.

Jamo at the 20 yard line with the ball and four defenders in front of him, reminded me of a line from an old Billy Jack movie where he told the guy, "I am going to this foot and put it on that side of your face, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it." There was not a damn thing those guys could have done to stop him.

Good run no doubt. Was hoping by now though he would be a bigger part of the passing game offense but that is not going to happen this season.

A reverse here and there and hopefully a long gain here and there is what he is right now as maybe the 4th or 5th option to Goff.

Offense PFF Grades
  1. Sam LaPorta 90.7
  2. Penei Sewell 80.4
  3. Jared Goff 77.7
  4. Graham Glasgow 76.0
  5. Brock Wright 75.8
  6. Frank Ragnow 71.4
Defense PFF Grades
  1. Romeo Okwara 90.2
  2. Aidan Hutchinson 89.9
  3. Alim McNeil 78.1
  4. Jalen Reeves-Maybin 76.9
  5. Jack Campbell 74.4
  6. Cam Sutton 74.1
  7. Josh Paschal 72.4

Weather & injuries might be the cause but the line is now down to Detroit -3.5 with a total of 41. It implies the Lions holding the Bears to under 20 points. If they can do that I think Detroit wins the game.

With Alim banged up, it should have been an opportunity for Buggs. But instead the Lions sign another 36- year old in Tyson Alualu.

Update...Alim on IR

Last edited:
With Alim banged up, it should have been an opportunity for Buggs. But instead the Lions sign another 36- year old in Tyson Alualu.

Update...Alim on IR

reddit rumor said that Buggs almost got into a fistfight with AG and probably wont be back

Weather & injuries might be the cause but the line is now down to Detroit -3.5 with a total of 41. It implies the Lions holding the Bears to under 20 points. If they can do that I think Detroit wins the game.

They have only managed that 2 times this season, hammer the over.

They have only managed that 2 times this season, hammer the over.
Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at. If they do hold a team to 20 or less they win. 5-0 so far this year.

Update...Alim on IR

reddit rumor said that Buggs almost got into a fistfight with AG and probably wont be back

There is also some concern he has mental health issues.

Alim McNeil to IR, Tyson Alualu signed to the practice squad.

Since we are binging on 36 year old DL, why not bury the hatchet and give Ndamukong Suh a call?

Benito Jones, Levi Onwuzurike, Isaiah Buggs, and rookie Brodric Martin are the only DTs on the active roster. Levi is the only other 3-tech besides Alim so I don't know what they'll do in Chicago. Quinton Bohanna is out of roster elevations so I would imagine they sign him to the 53-man but not sure who gets cut. Alualu is a solid pro, mostly a run D guy although he also has starters experience as a 4-I, but having not played in a year he'll need a minute to acclimate.

I’m going to harness some of @jon_mx ‘s positivity on the D but not holding my breath.

Hope Irvin can stay fit and would be great to get Houston back ASAP

The Bruce Irvin film breakdown I posted upthread is encouraging. He was playing at a high level Week 18 and in the WC playoff game last year for Seattle, granted he's just a situational guy who will only see 12-18 snaps but he's got some nice pass rush moves. Very physical guy and surprisingly quick for his age - guy is a finisher, just the type of spark we need opposite Hutch.

Hutchinson had the highest win rate (35.7%) in the NFL Week 13. IDC if he gets sacks or not, if we have two pressure points somebody will get the QB. Too often this year it's been one guy generating pressure and it's easy for NFL level QBs to slide away from one guy who is winning his one-on-one.

There was one play last week where we blitzed Branch and Paschal was the low dropper, Romeo ended up with the sack (IIRC Hutch was off the field at the time.) That's the kind of creativity we need to see from AG. There's virtually no obfuscation to our defensive fronts. When you have a talent deficit you can't keep rushing four guys in their lanes and expect different results. It's maddening.

Lions also signed Kindle Vildor to the activer roster. Veteran CB with 22 NFL starts, all of them with Chicago.

highly unlikely scenario but
  • if the Cowboys beat the Eagles at home, and
  • the Seahawks pull off a miracle and beat the 49ers on the road,
  • a Detroit win would give them the #1 seed going into Week 15

ESPN playoff machine

That is not that far fetched. I could see SF have a let down game after dominating the last few weeks. The Cowboys have looked better than the Eagles at times. Then again all three could just as easily go the other way.

Pulling the miracle and getting the #1 seed is the only way I see we sneak into the SB. The more likely scenario is we have to get by a WC team, then Dallas or Philly, and then SF. I don't think we can survive that gauntlet even with some lucky breaks.

I wouldn’t go as far as calling it contentious but today was as close as I have ever seen Dan Campbell come to getting testy. Lots of questions if they’re not protecting players from themselves when they get hurt in game (Decker, CJGJ, Branch, Alim.)

Dan Campbell Wednesday presser

Simple question
5 games left in the regular season:

- at CHI
- vs DEN
- at MIN
- at DAL
- vs MIN

They currently sit at 9-3. How many wins do they finish with in 2023?

Simple question
5 games left in the regular season:

- at CHI
- vs DEN
- at MIN
- at DAL
- vs MIN

They currently sit at 9-3. How many wins do they finish with in 2023?
I got them at 12-5. Slightly better than at the beginning of the year when I had them around 10-7.

Users who are viewing this thread