What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

3 Questions For Shark Pool - 2022 Pittsburgh Steelers #Mood (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
We've got some of the best and brightest fantasy football (and real football) minds in the world on this forum. Would love to hear what you think on this. 

3 Questions:

1. How's It Going in Pittsburgh? Please pick: Good, Neutral, Bad (considering the offense)

2. Who are you in on (considering the cost) in Pittsburgh?

3. Who are you out on (considering the cost) in Pittsburgh?

Please try to use this as a guide on length for these:

1 line of text = amazing! This is an example of the length of reasoning that's awesome.

2 lines of text = great! This is an example of the length of reasoning that's great. It's not awesome, but it's okay to not be awesome all of the time.

3 lines of text = probably too much. This is an example of the length of reasoning that's just a little bit too long. 

4+ lines of text = too muchThis is an example of the length of reasoning that's simply too much. 

1.  Good - The pieces are in place for moderate short term success with a bright future. 

2.  Kenny Pickett - I trust the front office. As a dynasty pick, he can be had for next to nothing.

3.  Freiermuth - I think he’s a very good TE that does everything well. Probably better NFL TE than fantasy player.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've got some of the best and brightest fantasy football (and real football) minds in the world on this forum. Would love to hear what you think on this. 

3 Questions:

1. How's It Going in Pittsburgh? Please pick: Good, Neutral, Bad (considering the offense)

1. Neutral- depth issues all over, QB? while division filled with young franchise QB's.

2. Pickens- several are worth their cost but he's super cheap, likely playing in most 3+WR sets, Diontae unlikely to re-sign, super high upside talent.

3.  No one, sounds like a cop out but I don't view  Najee, Diontae, Claypool, Friermuth or Pickens as overpriced. Diontae probably riskiest because he's second most expensive and had strong connection with Ben but I'd not say I'm out on him.

Neutral to bad - I’m unconvinced Trubisky is the answer, and if he is, we may not be asking the right question. 

Harris is a no-brainer 1st round pick. I also *love* the value of ‘Muth, who seems to be going in the TE8-10 range. 

All of their receivers. Until I see Trubisky’s accuracy improve, I’m not high on any of them. I had ARob in dynasty from our startup to 2021, and it was ugly. 

1-Neutral…there are some holes but Pittsburgh is one of the better/more stable organizations in the NFL so I am confident they will figure it out.

2-Najee…easy pick but I have always loved his game…kid is a stud.

3-Claypool…would not be surprised one bit if I was wrong about him but between inconsistent play, some off-field questions and the transition at QB I will let someone else deal with it…just too many other options at WR  that I would rather go with.

1. Bad, Big Ben's body was cooked, but they really underwhelmed in finding a replacement, especially if Pickett isn't as good as they hope.

2. Not super in on anybody. I can live with Najee as a late 1st rounder, but I'm not really convinced he's a good RB, just that he'll have a huge workload. 

3. Very out on Diontae Johnson. I think he benefitted greatly from Big Ben not being able to throw deep and looking to get rid of the ball quickly. I could easily see him losing 20+ catches off of last season's total. Not sure I like Freiermuth either for similar reasons, but his price is at least a little better, love him as a player though. 

1 - Bad - I'm not sold on either QB, they didn't seem to do much to address the offensive line and I'm not a fan of the OC.

2 - Freiermuth - I'm not really in on anyone from this offense, but he's talented and these type of QBs might tend to lean on the TE.

3 - Najee - Volume will be there, but I don't think he's as good as most do and I don't like the OL.

I’m guessing that PITT will open up their O by focusing on the middle part of the field, which they weren’t able to do last year. The OL may not have been significantly improved but having 2 mobile QB’s rather than a statue will facilitate this.

1 - neutral

2 - Diontae’s relationship w/ any QB is predicated on separation. 

3 - Claypool, unreliability personified. 

1. Neutral…they found a way to go 8-8 with a shot Big Ben.  But an overall meh for me.

2. Harris?…perhaps the mobility of Trubisky/Pickett will open more running lanes, but his lack of big play production feels like it would be frustrating for a 1st round pick.  But that volume…😍

3. Claypool feels like an all talk, no walk guy to me.

1. Bad - depth at RB, DL, and LB will factor in at some point, as will the aging vets on D. OL has not improved much, and the Trubisky I watched in Chicago was a bad QB

2. Najee - he lacks some explosiveness, but he keeps moving forward, and I would run him into the ground on a rookie contract

3. Claypool - likes to flap his gums like a star, but plays like a bum

Neutral

Najee, that's about it

All WRs

1) Neutral. There is some potential if whomever the QB is can unlock it. 

2) Claypool. Either QB will be better for his game than Roethlisberger was. Should have more TD upside. 

3) Freiermuth. I think the TDs take a hit. Like him for dynasty but not as much this year. 

1. Bad - depth at RB, DL, and LB will factor in at some point, as will the aging vets on D. OL has not improved much, and the Trubisky I watched in Chicago was a bad QB

2. Najee - he lacks some explosiveness, but he keeps moving forward, and I would run him into the ground on a rookie contract

3. Claypool - likes to flap his gums like a star, but plays like a bum
My team thought process is similar here. I don't like this offense. However, that makes me almost inherently not want to spend a 1st round pick on the RB in that offense. I get Najee is a young big guy who they can lean on. However, will he catch 74 passes again? Will he lead the league in touches again? He needs to do those things to remain an RB1 for fantasy. I don't see a ceiling though. He probably can't get more work. He's not explosive so it's unlikely he makes up for it with more huge plays. I don't see him getting an increase in GL looks and surging with a large TD number. 

On the other hand, Chase Claypool had a surprisingly good rookie year, new QBs and JuJu is gone. I can easily see him delivering more than his current WR54 price tag. I don't expect a great year from Claypool but for the price, he has upside. 

3 Questions:

1. How's It Going in Pittsburgh? Please pick: Good, Neutral, Bad (considering the offense)

Reply: Neutral. 2022 is year of discovery.

2. Who are you in on (considering the cost) in Pittsburgh?

Reply: Najee is going to get a ton of touches.

3. Who are you out on (considering the cost) in Pittsburgh?

Reply: All the WR's in redraft before round 5.

Ilov80s said:
My team thought process is similar here. I don't like this offense. However, that makes me almost inherently not want to spend a 1st round pick on the RB in that offense. I get Najee is a young big guy who they can lean on. However, will he catch 74 passes again? Will he lead the league in touches again? He needs to do those things to remain an RB1 for fantasy. I don't see a ceiling though. He probably can't get more work. He's not explosive so it's unlikely he makes up for it with more huge plays. I don't see him getting an increase in GL looks and surging with a large TD number. 

On the other hand, Chase Claypool had a surprisingly good rookie year, new QBs and JuJu is gone. I can easily see him delivering more than his current WR54 price tag. I don't expect a great year from Claypool but for the price, he has upside. 
I was never big on Najee in the 1st, but he's the best chance at anything positive going into this season. I don't trust the QBs at all, nor that line.

Chase has to learn how to high point the ball, and box out defenders. He was poor last season. 

I was never big on Najee in the 1st, but he's the best chance at anything positive going into this season. I don't trust the QBs at all, nor that line.

Chase has to learn how to high point the ball, and box out defenders. He was poor last season. 
Yeah he was poor last year and despite his physical gifts, that might not be his game. I’m not seeking him out in drafts but it’s pretty much the only spot I will touch a Steeler just because of the cost.

How's It Going in Pittsburgh? Please pick: Good, Neutral, Bad (considering the offense)
Bad

Who are you in on (considering the cost) in Pittsburgh?
Najee - In the last 10 years, the touch leader has finished no worse than RB5

Who are you out on (considering the cost) in Pittsburgh?
Everyone not named Najee - some great young talent, but OL will hamper FF production

3 Questions:

Neutral (still concerned of OLine)

Trubisky (superflex), Claypool, Pickens

D. Johnson; he won’t see the same volume now that Ben is gone

1 line of text = amazing! This is an example of the length of reasoning that's awesome.

2 lines of text = great! This is an example of the length of reasoning that's great. It's not awesome, but it's okay to not be awesome all of the time.

3 lines of text = probably too much. This is an example of the length of reasoning that's just a little bit too long. 

4+ lines of text = too muchThis is an example of the length of reasoning that's simply too much. 

1. Neutral.  O Line still bad, QB a real question mark but seems like it can only be more threatening/explosive than it was under Ben the last couple of years.

2. Diontae at ADP or just below.  (See below.)  Harris if I can get a value, just because of volume.  I'm afraid his upside is still extremely limited though.

3. Everyone else.

Matt Harmon and Evan Silva with an interesting discussion on DJ.  Maybe Ben wasn't providing Johnson value...maybe he was legitimately holding back a very good-to-great receiver?  I'll take the risk if I can get him at ADP or below.

The question was posed as relative to their price. So do you think the OL got worse?
I assumed price means ADP, and I have typically chosen others at their "price" during my mocks.
I put alot of stock into PFF's rankings, and they have PIT ranked 30th

Landry Jones, Mason Rudolph, and Joshua Dobbs have me believing Pickett will develop into a star.

That their coach isn't in best of conversations is a shame.

Najee doesn't look special when the passing game doesn't work

Landry Jones, Mason Rudolph, and Joshua Dobbs have me believing Pickett will develop into a star.
I’ve read this sentence a few times and can’t figure out if you’re being sarcastic or not. The next sentence led me to believe “no” but then I don’t get why those guys would make you feel positive about Pickett?

Agreed.  Given his size he should be much better at contested catches but he just isn't very good at it... also, he needs to stop falling down after not making that contested catch :lol:   

I assumed price means ADP, and I have typically chosen others at their "price" during my mocks.

Yes, when we talk about "price" we mean ADP. A player can be great but still overvalued.

1. Bad.  QB play and OL will be really suspect this year

2. In on no one.  Harris I guess is appropriately priced, but I much rather take Mixon, Cook or Swift since I like their upside a lot better.

3. Out on Dionte Johnson.....hard pass in Round 4.  I am a Bears fan, and I know how much Trubisky sucks as a passer.  Johnson won't get nearly the same amount of targets.

Thanks and yes also assumed price meant ADP.

You referenced you were out on everyone not named Najee and last year Diontae was WR7 and in main contest I play he's been going around WR18 lately.  Claypool finished as WR46, currently going as WR49. Only one to really go above their ADP is Friermuth but he was a rookie TE and he's basically going on par with how he finished the second half.

I quoted you and asked you the question but most people shared your view, that they were out on most of these players and would often cite OL and in Diontae's case in particular the QB chemistry which I think is a valid concern. But reason I though they were all priced fairly piced and I was not out on any of them is I just think the ADP has already taken into account the OL, none of their draft capital is requiring them to be better then they were last season, and in Diontae's a decent amount worse.

3 Questions:

Neutral - We really haven't seen Canada's offense without needing to cater to an old Ben. Having a mobile QB makes his offense tick. I'll reevaluate after this season.

Freiermuth should be a top 5 TE this season. He's that good. New QB=Security blanket. Harris is valued correctly.

I'm out on Dionte. Too many mouths to feed. Johnson won't be force fed. Claypool and Pickens will share the load. Olszewski could be a value pick for free. 

I’ve read this sentence a few times and can’t figure out if you’re being sarcastic or not. The next sentence led me to believe “no” but then I don’t get why those guys would make you feel positive about Pickett?
Sarcastic. I don't believe there is any rush whatsoever to start him other than fans wanting them to. I think they're well aware they were awful at developing QBs behind Big Ben and will adjust. 

Neutral. I’m not confident in the qb or the online. Most of that seems priced in already though.

In on- Najee at 1.08. Diontae at 4.08 are both fine. Not going higher than that tho.

Out on: Friermuth going te 11. I’m not sold yet and probably will would rather pay up for other options or wait for kmet or HH.

1. How's It Going in Pittsburgh? Please pick: Neutral - QB situation and OL are huge question marks.

2. Who are you in on (considering the cost) in Pittsburgh?  Claypool, no one likes him, can get cheap, and I think he matured this offseason.

3. Who are you out on (considering the cost) in Pittsburgh?  QBs, either/all of them.   Until there is one clear cut QB there, it will be messy.

1. How's It Going in Pittsburgh? Bad.......I don't think they will be very good by NFL purposes but there will be FF players that will be helpful

2. Who are you in on (considering the cost) in Pittsburgh?  Najee (if later first early 2nd),  I like Claypool at his price as I think he will be a great flex option but wouldn't want to rely on him as WR2/3

3. Who are you out on (considering the cost) in Pittsburgh?  DJ most likely.  I think he benefited from Ben's limitations last year and it won't be the same this year.  

1. Bad. QB and OL situation leaves me with a bad feeling about the year on offense. 

2. Najee Harris. Volume is king for running backs, no matter their talent or the offense, and he should get enough volume to be successful for fantasy even if the offense is anemic. 

3. Chase Claypool. Trubisky's dead-last deep throw EPA in 2019 leaves me cold and doesn't match Claypool's skill set. Claypool is going cheap, but I'd fade him even more than he already is. 

Neutral:  The Steelers look to be solid at offensive skill positions other than QB.  Offensive line should be better but probably average at best.  Defense is solid, potentially one of the top units in the NFL, especially if they were successful at shoring up the run defense.

Harris, Freiermuth, Boswell, Pittsburgh Defense.  I think Pickens could be a steal 

Dionte Johnson.  Say what you want about Big Ben's declining skills, Johnson finished second in the NFL in targets.  It is doubtful Johnson will be getting that from whoever is throwing the ball this season.

3 Questions:

1. Good. I think people are underestimating the improvement in the O-line. There will be some improvement from the rookies and the free agency additions should mean they aren't starting any turnstiles this year.

2. Trubisky. Don't go nuts and draft him as your QB1, but I want a ton of shares this year. His upside us very high even if he is unlikely to hit it.

3. Harris. He will get enough volume to not be a complete bust, but his targets will likely go way down. I don't expect much improvement in efficiency. 

1. Good. I think people are underestimating the improvement in the O-line. There will be some improvement from the rookies and the free agency additions should mean they aren't starting any turnstiles this year.

2. Trubisky. Don't go nuts and draft him as your QB1, but I want a ton of shares this year. His upside us very high even if he is unlikely to hit it.

3. Harris. He will get enough volume to not be a complete bust, but his targets will likely go way down. I don't expect much improvement in efficiency. 
Why do you want so many shares of Trubisky?  He's currently ranked QB32 on FBG (19th round ADP), meaning he won't even be drafted in 95% of standard leagues.  Are you really going to draft him in every one of your leagues?

1. Chaotic Neutral! (D&D reference) - Cast an 11-sided Steel D of Disruption creating chaos melee after melee. Unfortunately, so does the OL with lack of pass protection.

2. Pickens becomes a regular contributor on “You Got Mossed!”

3. Out on the entire OL. Swap this unit with Indy or Cleveland and it’d be game over. 

Why do you want so many shares of Trubisky?  He's currently ranked QB32 on FBG (19th round ADP), meaning he won't even be drafted in 95% of standard leagues.  Are you really going to draft him in every one of your leagues?
In deep leagues, 2QB leagues, and leagues I fade QB I will want him. As you point out the cost is 0. The upside is huge. I don't expect it, but even at a 10% chance, it is an amazing +EV situation. 

In deep leagues, 2QB leagues, and leagues I fade QB I will want him. As you point out the cost is 0. The upside is huge. I don't expect it, but even at a 10% chance, it is an amazing +EV situation. 
Ya I guess in 20+ round redraft leagues or 2QB leagues I can see it.  I guess I don't see the upside at all, as I think his ceiling is pretty low.  Most of my leagues are 1qb leagues and 20 or under rounds, so he likely won't even be drafted in any of mine.

So high on Mitch, and fading Harris. 

huh

Ya I guess in 20+ round redraft leagues or 2QB leagues I can see it.  I guess I don't see the upside at all, as I think his ceiling is pretty low.  Most of my leagues are 1qb leagues and 20 or under rounds, so he likely won't even be drafted in any of mine.
He has skill all around him in Najee, Claypool, DJ, Muth, Pickens......  The pieces are there if he can just not turn the ball over and be accurate to some degree he could be able to get in the QB12 ish range.  That's great for a freebie and pretty high upside.  The jury is still out if he can do those things but it's at least a path to the upside.  

He has skill all around him in Najee, Claypool, DJ, Muth, Pickens......  The pieces are there if he can just not turn the ball over and be accurate to some degree he could be able to get in the QB12 ish range.  That's great for a freebie and pretty high upside.  The jury is still out if he can do those things but it's at least a path to the upside.  
Bad Oline, Bad Offense, Likely in low scoring games, eventually might be/should be taken over by Pickett, etc. I see his absolute ceiling as QB15 and very low floor which makes him undraftable in standard 18 and under man leagues.  Obviously superflex leagues changes things. 

Users who are viewing this thread