What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

35 mil for Titans (1 Viewer)

Young is no doubt a talented football player. Young no doubt has some psychological issues that seem to creep up this past year. He's in a high pressure profession and all the talent in the world isn't going to help him if things go awry in his head.In the NFL today where some athletes are more concerned about the money, party, getting into trouble and elevating their self-ego to god-like magnitude, Vince Young seemed to turn the other way and almost literally run away from football and himself. I hope the Titans realize that there's more to life than football and help/continue to help this young man deal with the issues in his head that can be very debilitating. I'm sure anyone who's ever experienced mental health issues knows what I'm talking about. The mind can destroy a person in a New York second. Early it seemed as though everything was about to fall apart for Vince Young. Hopefully things are better for him now and the issues he's been dealing with that caused him such great pain have subsided. The Titans need to continue to work with Vince and help him with whatever he needs so he can get back on the football field and showcase the talent he has. I think he has the talent to be a pretty good NFL QB but that is all secondary when it comes to your health and your life. I know there's been other players literally go off the deep edge and even lose their life over problems of the mind. Hopefully Vince Young won't be one of the cases. The Titans are a class orginization and I'm sure they'll do whats needed to help Vince Young the person and worry about his football staus second. It's not always about winning, it's about doing what's right.

The Titans are a class orginization and I'm sure they'll do whats needed to help Vince Young the person and worry about his football staus second. It's not always about winning, it's about doing what's right.
I applaud the humanistic sentiment in this, and it could happen. Businesses have a tendency to look at financials as well though and although not knowing VY's contract, if his base salary and/or non performance bonus(es) are substantial this could play a very largo role in any decision taken by the Titans with regards to Vince Young, the player under contract with the Titans.

Young is no doubt a talented football player. Young no doubt has some psychological issues that seem to creep up this past year. He's in a high pressure profession and all the talent in the world isn't going to help him if things go awry in his head.In the NFL today where some athletes are more concerned about the money, party, getting into trouble and elevating their self-ego to god-like magnitude, Vince Young seemed to turn the other way and almost literally run away from football and himself. I hope the Titans realize that there's more to life than football and help/continue to help this young man deal with the issues in his head that can be very debilitating. I'm sure anyone who's ever experienced mental health issues knows what I'm talking about. The mind can destroy a person in a New York second. Early it seemed as though everything was about to fall apart for Vince Young. Hopefully things are better for him now and the issues he's been dealing with that caused him such great pain have subsided. The Titans need to continue to work with Vince and help him with whatever he needs so he can get back on the football field and showcase the talent he has. I think he has the talent to be a pretty good NFL QB but that is all secondary when it comes to your health and your life. I know there's been other players literally go off the deep edge and even lose their life over problems of the mind. Hopefully Vince Young won't be one of the cases. The Titans are a class orginization and I'm sure they'll do whats needed to help Vince Young the person and worry about his football staus second. It's not always about winning, it's about doing what's right.
Vince didn't play much in 08 and has 6 more months til camp opens in 09. Vince has the time to go thru therapy with a psychologist. It's all on him. IMO he is lucky to have a job and not be fired for walking off the job. He is very well paid for a backup and if he's not taking the time to learn from Kerry, study the O, work on his game, there's nothing wrong with the Titans cutting or trading him. I gather the Titans want a change in attitude and re-dedication to the game. If he is seeing a great psychologist(like his money can afford) then the Titans should see that change in attitude already. People that want to make a big change in life are fairly transparent. It's been since September. If they wanted to move him now, I don't think the Titans need to wait til camp in July to move Vince and be patient-september til march(new contract year) is 6 months. Name another job that gives ya 6 months to get your head on straight. Again, I think people making a dramatic character change/improvement in life are quite transparent and the Titans probably already know.I have thought Pacman should be cut if he doesn't "grow up" and live more responsibly. I have felt like Chris Henry should be waived if he doesn't accept responsibility for his actions and act accordingly. I hate when guys refuse to showup to offseason workouts so they can hang with their boys in Miami as if they're more important than the team. I think many people have felt similarly. Vince is no criminal but, there's nothing wrong with a team wanting a change in attitude or mindset. It's fairly common in the NFL. I do not think the Titans have to be patient with their millions of dollars invested into Vince and give him til July to get better, re-evaluate his personal character etc. They may. We all know Henry and Pacman were afforded tons of time to straighten out their heads. They don't have to though-6 months is quite considerable, compassionate, and more than sufficient for Vince to show some improvement. They could throw him another 4 months til camp in July. 10 months is "insane" for an employer to give someone to get better and keep paying them.I would bet Vince Young is one of the top 5 most popular athletes in Texas. Big city people would have eaten him up. He got upset about booing? Wow would he have been different in Chicago or NY or San Diego. He went to Tennessee. He's been fortunate. He can go back to Texas if he just wants to be adored. No big city franchise will cheer on interceptions and bad throws. They'll scream and holler and hope for his backup to replace him. He should know this. Jerry "I have to sell out a new billion dollar stadium" Jones has a WR upset and the Titans need WRs. Vince could help him and he could help Vince by letting him sit behind Romo. The Titans don't owe him though.

I might be asking too much of 35 mil(after all there's re-signing other players and picks and all) but if they could add another top player to that D and/or a top WR.

I know Chris Mortensen reported this weekend on the ESPN pregame show that Kerry Collins has publicly stated he would return to the Titans only if he were guaranteed the starter spot in '09. He also said Jeff Fisher wants Collins as the starter.

I don't doubt that last point one bit, because although not publicly stated there is some strong circumstantial evidence that points to Fisher wanting Jay Cutler as his draft pick over Leinart and Young, but the ownership wanted Young:

1) Discussion just a day prior to the draft that the Titans organization was split on their 1st round choice. Ownership: Young; Scouts/Fisher: Cutler; Chow: Leinart.

2) Mike Shannahan traded several picks up to nab Cutler and was quoted the day after the draft about a phone call he placed to Fisher about Cutler and Fisher said "[Cutler] had everything you want from a quarterback."

3) I got to meet the executive producer of an ESPN show this fall whose job is to study NFL game film. We talked mainly about studying game film, but he used Vince Young as an example of something he was pointing out to me. So I took a brief tangent and asked him if he ever met any of the folks in the Titans organization and what he made of Young as their draft choice, explaining my guess that Fisher wanted Cutler. He said he knew the situation all too well and that Cutler indeed was the first choice for much of the Titans organization, just not the one who counted most and that guy who counted most wasn't Fisher.

Fisher deserves a lot of credit for taking what the organization gives him and making it work. I admire Bill Parcells for his forthright attitude about what he wants and his statement about shopping for the groceries if you cook the meal. But regardless of whether or not that's the best way, I think it speaks volumes for Fisher that he didn't complain about not getting what he wanted in the draft and making the best of what personnel lands in his lap. I'm not saying he doesn't have a major say, but the organization being split on a QB is a major issue if you're going to draft one so high. Because of that split, Fisher can't do anything but go along with the party line and give an optimistic front that Young has a real chance to be the starter again, because he knows it is not solely his decision to make (as unfortunate as that is to me).

I (can't believe I'm saying this after watching Collins for all these years) hope they sign Collins, groom Simms/draft someone promising, and let Young walk. I don't believe the Titans owe Young anything. They could have really blown this story up more than they did as an excuse to get rid of him but they are giving him a chance to sit and learn. Steve McNair sat and learned from Chris Chandler early on, and from what I heard Chandler wasn't really thrilled about helping him out. It has been documented (at least until recently) that Young hasn't approached Collins and Collins made it clear he'd be receptive.

If I had to chose between Haynesworth and Collins, I'd much prefer Haynesworth as the guy to sign. The Titans stuck with him after he kicked Gurode in the head (Haynesworth was erratic like that from the beginning - I remember the victory over the Ravens in the playoffs where one play he looked awesome, the next he got mad at an opponent and drew a penalty - which was typical of him early on) and he's developed into a much more controlled player on (and it appears) off the field.

As a fan I'd rather have a strong defense that keeps my team in games and allows even a conservative offense to win. I like exciting offensive football more, but I understand the value of a good-great defense.

Owens as a Titan makes a lot of sense
In what way does that make sense?Owens is the type player Fisher would hate.
Same way Owens is the type of player Reid would hate?For the most part, primadonna WRs are all the same. Lets hope Fitz and Calvin change the stereo type. All that said, which coach doesnt want a playmaker on the team? Its a proven fact that TO is a difference maker. History has shown that the 1st year of a TO deal pays off in spades. 2nd and beyond ... not so much. If Ten thinks Owens could put them over the top, why not? TO most likely wont get anything better than a 2 year deal.

Vince would be perfect for this Titans offense. He can throw the deep ball and he can throw the pass in the flat to Johnson. Obviously his running would be significant, and he would make the holes even wider for White and Johnson -- Tennessee would have no problem leading the NFL in rushing, IMO. He was injured and they cut back on his running in '07, and that's not ideal VY football.

We saw what Vick did for the RBs in Atlanta, and Young would do something similar. I could see the following breakdown:

Johnson: 260 carries, 1250 yards, 4.8 YPC (I know he averaged 4.9 this year, but I don't think his "true" ability is at 4.9 YPC)

White: 130 carries, 520 yards, 4.0 YPC

Young: 120 carries, 600 yards, 5.0 YPC

That's 2,370 rushing yards between those three guys. With that defense, what Johnson does in the passing game and a the big play ability of Gage, Vince the passer wouldn't need to do very much. VY is too talented to waste, IMO, and this is the right team for him. Tennessee should scale back the offense, let Vince run, and get a suitable backup.

As bad as people dog Young right now, he's been successful through three seasons. He's trending downwards, and like Matt Leinart, that's not the sign you look for. But so many first round QBs have been just mediocre at this stage in their career, that I'd hate to give up on Young. Especially when you've got this team around him. No, he wouldn't be a good fit in New Orleans. But he can work in Tennessee.

Vince would be perfect for this Titans offense. He can throw the deep ball and he can throw the pass in the flat to Johnson. Obviously his running would be significant, and he would make the holes even wider for White and Johnson -- Tennessee would have no problem leading the NFL in rushing, IMO. He was injured and they cut back on his running in '07, and that's not ideal VY football.We saw what Vick did for the RBs in Atlanta, and Young would do something similar. I could see the following breakdown:Johnson: 260 carries, 1250 yards, 4.8 YPC (I know he averaged 4.9 this year, but I don't think his "true" ability is at 4.9 YPC)White: 130 carries, 520 yards, 4.0 YPCYoung: 120 carries, 600 yards, 5.0 YPCThat's 2,370 rushing yards between those three guys. With that defense, what Johnson does in the passing game and a the big play ability of Gage, Vince the passer wouldn't need to do very much. VY is too talented to waste, IMO, and this is the right team for him. Tennessee should scale back the offense, let Vince run, and get a suitable backup. As bad as people dog Young right now, he's been successful through three seasons. He's trending downwards, and like Matt Leinart, that's not the sign you look for. But so many first round QBs have been just mediocre at this stage in their career, that I'd hate to give up on Young. Especially when you've got this team around him. No, he wouldn't be a good fit in New Orleans. But he can work in Tennessee.
I disagreed with you pretty strongly on Tarvaris Jackson, but I'm definitely in agreement not to write off Vince Young... yet. Yes Vince flaked out at the very beginning of last season, but prior to that he'd shown leadership and ability to will the team to wins to a degree Jackson and many other hopeful QBs can only dream of.

I for one was very high on VY after his tremendous leadership his first season. And despite his "meltdown" I'm still in Chase's camp. I think he can still be successful. But, I also agree that the Titan's don't "owe him" anything either. Although I would imagine at this point, given the questions surrounding his mental heath, his trade value is negligable.

I really can't think of anyone more physically suited to run the new (old) "wildcat" offense...can White/Johnson throw? Perhaps Bill Parcells' Dolphins would make for good trading partners.

JAA said:
perry147 said:
JAA said:
Owens as a Titan makes a lot of sense
In what way does that make sense?Owens is the type player Fisher would hate.
Same way Owens is the type of player Reid would hate?For the most part, primadonna WRs are all the same. Lets hope Fitz and Calvin change the stereo type. All that said, which coach doesnt want a playmaker on the team? Its a proven fact that TO is a difference maker. History has shown that the 1st year of a TO deal pays off in spades. 2nd and beyond ... not so much. If Ten thinks Owens could put them over the top, why not? TO most likely wont get anything better than a 2 year deal.
I agree and I think Owens might be a player who can put that team over the top.

I know Chris Mortensen reported this weekend on the ESPN pregame show that Kerry Collins has publicly stated he would return to the Titans only if he were guaranteed the starter spot in '09. He also said Jeff Fisher wants Collins as the starter. I don't doubt that last point one bit, because although not publicly stated there is some strong circumstantial evidence that points to Fisher wanting Jay Cutler as his draft pick over Leinart and Young, but the ownership wanted Young: 1) Discussion just a day prior to the draft that the Titans organization was split on their 1st round choice. Ownership: Young; Scouts/Fisher: Cutler; Chow: Leinart. 2) Mike Shannahan traded several picks up to nab Cutler and was quoted the day after the draft about a phone call he placed to Fisher about Cutler and Fisher said "[Cutler] had everything you want from a quarterback." 3) I got to meet the executive producer of an ESPN show this fall whose job is to study NFL game film. We talked mainly about studying game film, but he used Vince Young as an example of something he was pointing out to me. So I took a brief tangent and asked him if he ever met any of the folks in the Titans organization and what he made of Young as their draft choice, explaining my guess that Fisher wanted Cutler. He said he knew the situation all too well and that Cutler indeed was the first choice for much of the Titans organization, just not the one who counted most and that guy who counted most wasn't Fisher. Fisher deserves a lot of credit for taking what the organization gives him and making it work. I admire Bill Parcells for his forthright attitude about what he wants and his statement about shopping for the groceries if you cook the meal. But regardless of whether or not that's the best way, I think it speaks volumes for Fisher that he didn't complain about not getting what he wanted in the draft and making the best of what personnel lands in his lap. I'm not saying he doesn't have a major say, but the organization being split on a QB is a major issue if you're going to draft one so high. Because of that split, Fisher can't do anything but go along with the party line and give an optimistic front that Young has a real chance to be the starter again, because he knows it is not solely his decision to make (as unfortunate as that is to me).
I like Jeff Fisher, but I don't think he was in position to do much whining about the VY selection. After 5-11 and 4-12 seasons, his leverage was much different during the '05 draft than it is now.

...As bad as people dog Young right now, he's been successful through three seasons...
I can agree with much of what you are saying, Chase except that VY has been succesful through three seasons. No way can the 2008 season be called a success for Young. His 2007 season, had they not backed into the playoffs would also have been considered unsuccesful (and could be argued so even with the playoff appearance).Can he work in the Titans scheme? IMHO, yes. Does he want to? Completely different question and even if the answer is yes, he has some people in the organisation to convince about that, not least the players and coaches.

Users who are viewing this thread