What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers and Chiefs exchange WRs Jenkins and Baldwin (1 Viewer)

KellysHeroes

Footballguy
Chiefs acquired WR A.J. Jenkins from the 49ers in exchange for WR Jon Baldwin.
It's a change-of-scenery trade, a practice that's far more common in baseball than football. Jenkins will be "reuniting" with Alex Smith in Kansas City, though the duo combined for exactly zero catches in San Francisco last season. Jenkins' lone target came in Week 17. He has zero career receptions. The 49ers ran out of patience with the No. 30 pick of last year's draft after he showed absolutely nothing through his first two preseason games, fumbling away his only catch. Going from Colin Kaepernick to Smith certainly isn't going to help Jenkins' "fantasy value," but perhaps a new locale will do him good. The over/under on his 2013 reception total is still in the neighborhood of 10.

49ers acquired WR Jon Baldwin from the Chiefs in exchange for WR A.J. Jenkins.
A knucklehead on and off the field in Kansas City, Baldwin has just 41 catches for 579 yards (14.1 YPR) and two touchdowns through two NFL seasons. He's already dropped three passes in the preseason, and Baldwin's proneness to drops has often been the result of his attempts to one-hand catches for inexplicable reasons. He just turned 24 years old, however, and talent has never been the factor holding Baldwin back. The trade looks better at surface level for the 49ers. While Jenkins is a frail wideout who noticeably shies from contact, Baldwin at least has a chance to be rehabbed if he buys into Jim Harbaugh's program. Harbaugh has a pretty good track record of turning past disappointments into players. (E.g. Ahmad Brooks, Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Alex Smith, Carlos Rogers, etc.)

Chiefs acquired WR A.J. Jenkins from the 49ers in exchange for WR Jon Baldwin.
It's a change-of-scenery trade, a practice that's far more common in baseball than football. Jenkins will be "reuniting" with Alex Smith in Kansas City, though the duo combined for exactly zero catches in San Francisco last season. Jenkins' lone target came in Week 17. He has zero career receptions. The 49ers ran out of patience with the No. 30 pick of last year's draft after he showed absolutely nothing through his first two preseason games, fumbling away his only catch. Going from Colin Kaepernick to Smith certainly isn't going to help Jenkins' "fantasy value," but perhaps a new locale will do him good. The over/under on his 2013 reception total is still in the neighborhood of 10.

49ers acquired WR Jon Baldwin from the Chiefs in exchange for WR A.J. Jenkins.
A knucklehead on and off the field in Kansas City, Baldwin has just 41 catches for 579 yards (14.1 YPR) and two touchdowns through two NFL seasons. He's already dropped three passes in the preseason, and Baldwin's proneness to drops has often been the result of his attempts to one-hand catches for inexplicable reasons. He just turned 24 years old, however, and talent has never been the factor holding Baldwin back. The trade looks better at surface level for the 49ers. While Jenkins is a frail wideout who noticeably shies from contact, Baldwin at least has a chance to be rehabbed if he buys into Jim Harbaugh's program. Harbaugh has a pretty good track record of turning past disappointments into players. (E.g. Ahmad Brooks, Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Alex Smith, Carlos Rogers, etc.)
I think the 9ers just ripped off KC once again. Baldwin has a chance to kind of fill Crabtree's shoes while Jenkins is clearly a waste of space.

We can only hope that a change of venue will get these 2 guys to progress their careers. I'm highly skeptical of that. Seems like a fair deal. Both guys were probably getting cut soon anyway.

Here's what I read:

"Hey Bob, my garbage bag is a little bit larger than yours and I can't get the garbage can to close. Wanna swap garbage bags? You seem to have a little bit more space in your can. It'll be at the dump tomorrow anyway."

Last edited by a moderator:
Great info Kelly, thanks for finding all this. I think it also speaks to 2 organizations that are not afraid to make moves. If I am a fan of either team I like this move because it shows they are willing to risk things in order to move forward.

Obviously they both were going to get cut, but it's a lot easier cutting someone else's junk than your own junk. Win/Win.

Very similar "player for player" trade as the Raiders-Panthers trade a year ago of career backup RB Mike Goodson for combine workout warior OL Bruce Campbell. Both players were castoffs from their teams with relatively high ceilings and low floor. It worked out if only for a season for Oakland, while Campbell proved to be just another man's trash.

Regarding Jenkins/Baldwin, It's hard right now to say now who "won" this trade. Likely, one side will get nominal production. My bet is that Jenkins at least sees some rotation in KC's offense, while Baldwin completely lays an egg. Not really a fantasy relevant trade or for that matter "NFL news" other than the novelty of a player for player trade. Good move for KC imo.

Here's what I read:

"Hey Bob, my garbage bag is a little bit larger than yours and I can't get the garbage can to close. Wanna swap garbage bags? You seem to have a little bit more space in your can. It'll be at the dump tomorrow anyway."
This.

Quite a while ago now, but I remember the Saints and Broncos trading former first round pick disappointments. The Saints sent DE Shawn Knight and the Bronocs sent someone whose name I can't even remember now. It was a final last ditch effort, neither guy did anything new with their new situation.

I still remember a very good catch Baldwin made in a SNF or MNF game a couple year back, it was a deep jump and grab in the end zone, I thought he had something but apparently every Chief fan and exec in the world thinks it was a wasted pick.

Quite a while ago now, but I remember the Saints and Broncos trading former first round pick disappointments. The Saints sent DE Shawn Knight and the Bronocs sent someone whose name I can't even remember now. It was a final last ditch effort, neither guy did anything new with their new situation.

I still remember a very good catch Baldwin made in a SNF or MNF game a couple year back, it was a deep jump and grab in the end zone, I thought he had something but apparently every Chief fan and exec in the world thinks it was a wasted pick.
There's no question Baldwin can make some spectacular plays, he just can't do it on a regular basis. The one thing a receiver has to be is consistent and Baldwin is not.

I love trades like this in the NFL, wish we saw more of them. No-lose situation for both teams, other than admitting they were bad picks. The best FO's can do that (although this is easier for the Chiefs since Baldwin was a pick from the last regime).

I imagine Harbaugh/Baalke learned a lot from that Jenkins pick.

The ore I think about it, this really is odd for both teams to give up on guys with Bly 1 and 2 seasons under their belt. I guess the NFL FOs don't really subscribe to the 3rd year WR theory, huh.

The ore I think about it, this really is odd for both teams to give up on guys with Bly 1 and 2 seasons under their belt. I guess the NFL FOs don't really subscribe to the 3rd year WR theory, huh.
Not For Long.

New GM/coach in KC and they are not attached to Baldwin and Jenkins has done nothing. Not an odd deal and a good time to pull it off w/ a few more games to get a better look at them.

i think the one X factor here is Harbaugh's ability to coach and get the most out of his players.. if Baldwin can learn anything from Harbaugh.. he might have a real chance at turning his career around and becoming fantasy relevant .... definitely something to keep an eye on, or stash on your bench if you have the room

but i agree with what most everyone says that its trash for trash... but its whether or not you believe in Harbaugh's coaching and Baldwin's raw talent

A.J. Jenkins.. not so much.. guy was in a position to make a significant impact and didn't step up to the plate...

Trading away your 1st round pick only 1 season later ouch. Any other 1st rounders ever flame out that fast?

Jason from Over the Cap put together a solid, quick rundown of the salary cap implications. According to Jason, the 49ers will have dead money charges from Jenkins of $873,187 in 2013 and $1,746,374 in 2014. They remove Jenkins' $705,797 in 2013 base salary, and will no longer have to pay him the $1,727,391 in salary and any bonuses they would have otherwise owed him.

In adding Baldwin, the 49ers will take on his $1,061,510 base salary in 2013, which is guaranteed. Beyond that, in 2014, Baldwin is owed $1,274,765 with a total cap charge of $1,404,765. The important thing to note is that none of the 2014 money is guaranteed. The 49ers have a lot of salary cap question marks in 2014 and beyond, so this creates some flexibility in that regard.
Interesting thing about the trade is the Chiefs will be paying more for Jenkins ($1.7M guaranteed) than they would have had to pay Baldwin (1M guaranteed). For the 49ers this is a cap saving move even if they cut Baldwin, but it doesn't make sense for KC unless they see some value in keeping Jenkins.

Obviously both teams think they are putting the screws to the other. Baldwin has been through a few coaches so I guess I'm leaning towards him being a bust and the jury still being out on Jenkins. With that said I think K.C. made out better.

I imagine Andy Reid saw a guy he liked something about when he came out of college, and figured it was worth a shot to see if he could get something out of him. If not, nothing lost. Andy seems to like going after players he had a thing for once upon a time. :shrug:

I imagine Harbaugh saw a talented slacker he thought he might be able to discipline into a decent soldier through force of will and culture. If not, nothing lost. :shrug:

I imagine Andy Reid saw a guy he liked something about when he came out of college, and figured it was worth a shot to see if he could get something out of him. If not, nothing lost. Andy seems to like going after players he had a thing for once upon a time. :shrug:

I imagine Harbaugh saw a talented slacker he thought he might be able to discipline into a decent soldier through force of will and culture. If not, nothing lost. :shrug:
Reid must think that Jenkins has more potential than Baldwin since he's paying more money for him. For the 49ers it could purely be a cap saving trade.

Reid must think that Jenkins has more potential than Baldwin since he's paying more money for him. For the 49ers it could purely be a cap saving trade.
maybe he sees a DJax in him

Could it be that the two players better fit the offensive style of their new teams? The lead story suggested some similarity between Baldwin and the injured Crabtree. And I know KC wants a receiver who can get deep, something that Avery isn't good at and it Bowe is more the big over the middle receiver.

I think this means that Avery is in line for at least 60 receptions.

Between Baldwin and Jenkins, I like Baldwin's situation better because he upgraded at QB and because SF is a better offense overall. Plus I agree with those who think that Harbaugh may be able to coach some sense into him.

Baldwin just tries to show off too much. We knew he was a diva at Pitt when we drafted him. If he would stop trying to catch everything one handed he might actually become productive.

Jenkins just needs to find some courage.

Any news on Baldwin? I thought this was a cap saving move for the 49ers so I'm interested to see if they do indeed cut him.

Users who are viewing this thread