What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers sign OG Larry Allen (1 Viewer)

Where the heck did that come from? The 9ers? I am surprised, I figured many teams would court him and he would have his choice of 4-6 takers. I am shocked he signed that quickly, with that franchise.

Where the heck did that come from? The 9ers? I am surprised, I figured many teams would court him and he would have his choice of 4-6 takers. I am shocked he signed that quickly, with that franchise.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear he went to them first. He's a NoCal guy, and this is like going home to finish up his career and prepare for retirement.

49ers sign Larry Allen

Matt Maiocco

3/23/2006

The 49ers have agreed to contract terms with 10-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman Larry Allen pending a physical, league sources told The Press Democrat on Thursday.

The addition of Allen would give a major boost to the 49ers' rushing attack, which ranked 17th in the league last season. Allen was a driving force behind the success of Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher.

A 49ers team spokesman declined comment Thursday afternoon.

Allen became a free agent Tuesday when the Dallas Cowboys released him for salary-cap purposes. Allen was scheduled to earn $3.5 million in base salary from the Cowboys, plus a $2 million roster bonus in April.

Allen, 34, has played every position on the offensive line, except center, during his 12-year NFL career but would appear to be best-suited to play guard at this stage in his career.

Allen is a native of Los Angeles who attended different high schools each of his four years. He finished at Vintage High in Napa. After spending two years at Butte College in Oroville, Allen transferred to Sonoma State, where he was a two-time NCAA Division II All-America selection.

He participated in the East-West Shrine Game and Senior Bowl before the Dallas Cowboys made him their second-round pick in the 1994 draft.

Allen began his career as a guard, then shifted to tackle in 1998 and became just the third offensive lineman in league history to be selected to the Pro Bowl at more than one position in his career, joining Bruce Matthews (guard/center) and Chris Hinton (guard/tackle).

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com

I see all the hopeful Gore owners are flocking into the thread....reminds me of the hopeful Ciatrick Fason owners. :lmao:

I see all the hopeful Gore owners are flocking into the thread....reminds me of the hopeful Ciatrick Fason owners. :lmao:
I dunno Loco.Fantasy-wise, You give me a choice straight up, I'm taking Gore.

You give me a choice of Gore in Rd4 or Barlow in Rd17, its Barlow all day.

True. But the guy with Barlow in his username and avatar is definitely good for the impartial viewpoint here.Thanks :thumbup:

funny, who was the first to jump on any glimmer of hope for his overhyped RB? ;)

Obvious that LA could care less about winning, all he wanted was money. He could have gone to several teams that are contenders. I doubt he makes it through training camp healthy......

Just rang my boy Barlow, he said he's excited about running behind Larry Allen. Stop the hatin' game.
Only in practice will barlow run behind Larry Allen.
Oh come on, he'll get to run into Larry Allen, 5 times a game anyway.I like the signing, but it's not like they got Hutchinson.

Obvious that LA could care less about winning, all he wanted was money. He could have gone to several teams that are contenders. I doubt he makes it through training camp healthy......
He already won a Super Bowl, might as well get paid at this point.Besides, who's to say a winning team offered him a contract?

He already won a Super Bowl, might as well get paid at this point.
Good point here. The 9ers line is pretty young, if I recall, so I guess he'll play the mentor role, a la Ray Brown.

Agreed. What the heck? :loco: I guess some teams viewed him as over-the-hill, and though he's still one of the top players at his position, he likely doesn't have many more years, and he probably wanted a pretty good amount of $$, that teams weren't willing to cough up.

Good point here. The 9ers line is pretty young, if I recall, so I guess he'll play the mentor role, a la Ray Brown.
Reminds me of the scene in We Were Soldiers, where the Sergeant Major tells the Lieutenants that if any of them call him Grandpa, he'll kill 'em. :D

He already won a Super Bowl, might as well get paid at this point.Besides, who's to say a winning team offered him a contract?
Why wouldn't they? He would be perfect in Seattle.

Reminds me of the scene in We Were Soldiers, where the Sergeant Major tells the Lieutenants that if any of them call him Grandpa, he'll kill 'em. :D
Strangely, I thought of the exact same thing after posting that.

Just like Emmitt I guess........LA is really past his prime now, I think he has maybe one good year left in him. He will probably make the pro bowl again off of name recognition. I think people vote for him just to see what ridiculous number he puts up in the strength competition.

i still have no intention of drafting barlow or gore ... had em both last yr and it was painful week after week. i don't think this changes things all that much

49ers sign Larry Allen

Matt Maiocco

3/23/2006

The 49ers have agreed to contract terms with 10-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman Larry Allen pending a physical, league sources told The Press Democrat on Thursday.

The addition of Allen would give a major boost to the 49ers' rushing attack, which ranked 17th in the league last season. Allen was a driving force behind the success of Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher.

A 49ers team spokesman declined comment Thursday afternoon.

Allen became a free agent Tuesday when the Dallas Cowboys released him for salary-cap purposes. Allen was scheduled to earn $3.5 million in base salary from the Cowboys, plus a $2 million roster bonus in April.

Allen, 34, has played every position on the offensive line, except center, during his 12-year NFL career but would appear to be best-suited to play guard at this stage in his career.

Allen is a native of Los Angeles who attended different high schools each of his four years. He finished at Vintage High in Napa. After spending two years at Butte College in Oroville, Allen transferred to Sonoma State, where he was a two-time NCAA Division II All-America selection.

He participated in the East-West Shrine Game and Senior Bowl before the Dallas Cowboys made him their second-round pick in the 1994 draft.

Allen began his career as a guard, then shifted to tackle in 1998 and became just the third offensive lineman in league history to be selected to the Pro Bowl at more than one position in his career, joining Bruce Matthews (guard/center) and Chris Hinton (guard/tackle).

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com
34 is quite old for any football player. 12 years in the league for an offensive lineman is a lot of time in the trenches. And how many of those 10 pro bowls are on reputation of he made it last year, he must still be good. Offensive lineman are hugely repeat for pro bowls. Not sure how much he has left in the tank. It is a good veteran presence but definately a huge injury risk.

Good signing for the 49ers. While Allens work ethic is less than desirable, he does have senior leadership with respect to playing the game

I think this signing is an indication that Newberry is done.

It moves Baas over to C full time and pairs LA with Smiley at OG.

With all the injuries on the OL last year, it really gives the team nice depth on the interior (Heitman) and outside (Kwame) with two guys that had to start last year.

I can't believe all the down talk about LA's age. There are a lot of franchise OL players in the league playing at a very high level well into their 30's.

Jonathan Ogden - 32

Walter Jones - 32

John Runnyan - 33

Wayne Gandy - 35

Ray Brown* - 44

(ages by end of 2006)

* Brown started virtually every game through the 2004 season to the age of 42.

LA is probably the single best all around OL player in the history of the NFL and although he is in the twighlight of his career he still has a few solid years left in him. I think this guy is a solid addition not only to the niners OL but to the team in genneral.

I think this move makes SF a true superbowl contender this year! :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned: :X

OK, maybe not but is is a good move towards getting them above .500

Ray Brown* - 44

(ages by end of 2006)

* Brown started virtually every game through the 2004 season to the age of 42.
The flip side to this is that Brown barely played until the age of 30.

Just rang my boy Barlow, he said he's excited about running behind Larry Allen.  Stop the hatin' game.
Only in practice will barlow run behind Larry Allen.
or if an ice cream truck drives by the practice facility.

Users who are viewing this thread