What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5 Professional Sports Franchises that need to be relocated. . . and 5 that must stay put!! (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I just watched an interesting YouTube video that came out a month ago, and it's something that any sports fan in North America should pay attention to.  It talks about 5 Pro Sports Teams that need to be rel ocated, and 5 Pro Sports Teams that must stay where they are.  Here's a brief summary of what they went over:

Teams that need to be relocated

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays (where to possibly: Montreal could get the Expos back; a market like Memphis or Nashville could get an MLB franchise).

NFL: Los Angeles Chargers (where to possibly: Austin or Albuquerque)

NBA: Charlotte Hornets (where to possibly: Louisville, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, or Vancouver)

NBA: Sacramento Kings (where to possibly: Seattle, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, or Vancouver)

NHL: Arizona Coyotes (where to possibly: anywhere but Phoenix!)

Teams that must stay where they are

MLB: Oakland Athletics

NFL: Jacksonville Jaguars

NFL: Buffalo Bills

NBA: Los Angeles Clippers

NHL: New York Islanders

What do you think of this summary?  If you're a major market that doesn't have a professional sports franchise, would you like to have teams like the Chargers (NFL), the Hornets (NBA) or the Kings (NBA)?

I just watched an interesting YouTube video that came out a month ago, and it's something that any sports fan in North America should pay attention to.  It talks about 5 Pro Sports Teams that need to be rel ocated, and 5 Pro Sports Teams that must stay where they are.  Here's a brief summary of what they went over:

Teams that need to be relocated

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays (where to possibly: Montreal could get the Expos back; a market like Memphis or Nashville could get an MLB franchise).

NFL: Los Angeles Chargers (where to possibly: Austin or Albuquerque)

NBA: Charlotte Hornets (where to possibly: Louisville, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, or Vancouver)

NBA: Sacramento Kings (where to possibly: Seattle, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, or Vancouver)

NHL: Arizona Coyotes (where to possibly: anywhere but Phoenix!)

Teams that must stay where they are

MLB: Oakland Athletics

NFL: Jacksonville Jaguars

NFL: Buffalo Bills

NBA: Los Angeles Clippers

NHL: New York Islanders

What do you think of this summary?  If you're a major market that doesn't have a professional sports franchise, would you like to have teams like the Chargers (NFL), the Hornets (NBA) or the Kings (NBA)?
The Kings have a rabid fan base, are profitable, are in a top 20-25 media market, and recently ranked as the 15th most valuable franchise according to Forbes. Also, they are locked into a stadium deal for the next 30 years. Why do they need to be moved again?

The Kings have a rabid fan base, are profitable, are in a top 20-25 media market, and recently ranked as the 15th most valuable franchise according to Forbes. Also, they are locked into a stadium deal for the next 30 years. Why do they need to be moved again?
some youtuber video.....

Because no one's showing up at the games hardly anymore for one thing.  And another one is the NBA would be a lot more profitable if there was a franchise in Seattle.

Because no one's showing up at the games hardly anymore for one thing.  And another one is the NBA would be a lot more profitable if there was a franchise in Seattle.
The Kings' average attendance was 17,096 this season. That's more than the capacity of Key Arena when the Sonics played there, and they weren't filling the place.

How does the OP feel about D.K. Metcalf to the Seattle Seahawks?

Are Russ and Ciara going to make it? Crazy kids...

Many of these cities get oversaturated with sports teams.  New Orleans is one of the smaller NFL markets.  No surprise they are having attendance issue with their NBA team.  Tampa is a 1 to 2 sports team city, but have 3 franchises.  

My top four teams that must stay put:

• Detroit Lions
  • Detroit Tigers
  • Detroit Pistons
  • Detroit Red Wings

If I have to go through this misery, no reason all these punks growing up now shouldn't have to suffer too.

Kansas City wouldn’t support the NBA after the first few years. This city just isn’t big enough for another professional sports team.

The Islanders split their home games between 2 different locations but they must stay where they are? :confused:
Dude. It's Yogi. He always starts threads in the SP as the OP and doesn't know what he's talking about. To put it colloquially -- and I'll put this somewhat gently since I don't want a timeout -- he's either a troll or he doesn't know his ### from his elbow.

You have no idea what you’re talking about. 
I've heard this a bunch. You're a Tampa native, right? What exactly is it about the location about Tampa's park that is so bad? I always heard the Red Sox announcers (especially Remy, when he was healthy) complain about getting access to the stadium, especially transportation-wise. What is it with getting on/off the entrance/exits from the freeway or just in general that makes it so difficult? 

Many of these cities get oversaturated with sports teams.  New Orleans is one of the smaller NFL markets.  No surprise they are having attendance issue with their NBA team.  Tampa is a 1 to 2 sports team city, but have 3 franchises.  
If the Pelicans would provide a decent product for their fans instead of a mismanaged ####show the SE LA fans would support them.  It doesn't take many to fill an NBA stadium and LA fans are very supportive of good products.

My top four teams that must stay put:

• Detroit Lions
  • Detroit Tigers
  • Detroit Pistons
  • Detroit Red Wings

If I have to go through this misery, no reason all these punks growing up now shouldn't have to suffer too.
There are 13 cities with franchises in the four major sports. Only NYC (1946) has hosted all four longer than Detroit (1957.)

The other 11:

Boston

Chicago

Dallas

Denver

Los Angeles

Miami

Minneapolis

Philadelphia 

Phoenix

San Francisco

Washington, D.C.

Of the thirteen, only Boston & Minneapolis have smaller urban populations than Detroit.

I've heard this a bunch. You're a Tampa native, right? What exactly is it about the location about Tampa's park that is so bad? I always heard the Red Sox announcers (especially Remy, when he was healthy) complain about getting access to the stadium, especially transportation-wise. What is it with getting on/off the entrance/exits from the freeway or just in general that makes it so difficult? 

I don't think it’s hard to get to and from the stadium, but that’s not the problem.

The drive time for it is not centralized meaning a big chunk of the radius is in the Gulf of Mexico.  In theory, if the stadium were to be built across the bridge in the Tampa area, there would be a far larger population within a suitable drive time area to put butts in the seats.  I’ve also heard corporate sponsorship would improve.  Don’t harsh me @Capella

Last edited by a moderator:
I dint think it’s hard to get to and from the stadium, but that’s not the problem.

The drive time for it is not centralized meaning a big chunk of the radius is in the Gulf of Mexico.  In theory, if the stadium were to be built across the bridge in the Tampa area, there would be a far larger population within a suitable drive time area to put butts in the seats.  I’ve also heard corporate sponsorship would improve.  Don’t harsh me @Capella
Ahh, I've heard exactly this via the Red Sox broadcasts (the Sox generally go ten or nine times a year to Tampa, so the telecasts often talk about the park and the Rays situation regarding the park in the downtime that baseball so often has -- and up until about 2013, I watched the Sox nearly religiously) but I thought it also had to do with the access to the stadium itself. Thanks for the answer. 

Freeway backs up, it’s 50 minutes away (if lucky) from main population center, horrible stadium. The hockey team has sold out 200 games in a row and the Rays tv ratings are excellent. Anybody saying the team can’t be supported is ignorant to the topic. 

I don't think it’s hard to get to and from the stadium, but that’s not the problem.

275 in st Pete backs up at 6 pm when only 13k are going and there’s really only one suitable exit to get off. It’s not catastrophic but it sucks.

Also no public transportation to the stadium is a factor. 

Freeway backs up, it’s 50 minutes away (if lucky) from main population center, horrible stadium. The hockey team has sold out 200 games in a row and the Rays tv ratings are excellent. Anybody saying the team can’t be supported is ignorant to the topic. 
I tend to agree with you about your last sentence. I checked the hockey attendance when you and I (you probably don't remember, but I do) sort of went gently back-and-forth about hockey attendance after I made an off-handed comment about the Lightning and attendance, and they do indeed draw really well. For hockey. In Florida.

Baseball should also translate, though with a weird caveat. Florida has tons of amateur baseball to support and a passion, it seems, in supporting it. Neither Miami nor Tampa has seen that really, besides the late nineties in Miami. But that could also be a function of payroll and team quality. 

I tend to agree with you about your last sentence. I checked the hockey attendance when you and I (you probably don't remember, but I do) sort of went gently back-and-forth about hockey attendance after I made an off-handed comment, and they draw really well. For hockey. Baseball should translate, though in a weird way, Florida has tons of amateur baseball to support and a passion, it seems, in supporting it. 
It’s all about a better location. The problem is St. Pete is flush with cash (and wants to give it to the Rays, like they would turn over the vault tomorrow) but the Rays are rightfully concerned about staying in that part of the bay. 

Tampa is where the team needs to go but they are broke. So now we wait to see what happens. St. Pete may cut them a sweet enough deal that they have no choice but to take it. 

Portland will be getting a MLB team.  Whether it's Oakland, Tampa or expansion, the Portland Diamond Project is real, has teeth and a LOT of Nike money barking for a team.  

Also, Russell Wilson is part owner in this.  Which isn't a big deal, but kind of cool.  

People flock to Oregon in the summer already.  Having MLB here is a no-brainer.  

If having a good TV market is the only concern, which it may be, yeah the area can support it.  The lighting are good, and have been good for a while.  You would have to look at a larger sample size and assume any team is going to be about .500, baseball even less with the way the "cap" is.  Not every team can be a winner, and even the Bucs stadium looks empty when they suck, and there are only a handful of home games a year.

No viable public transit options? Anywhere outside 10 miles from downtown Toronto is a 50 minute drive (not an exaggeration Toronto goes back and forth with LA for worst traffic in North America). 

But there are dozens of spots outside the city I can park a take a train right to the game, and if you're in the city but not downtown, there are dozens of subway options (this is why despite the Rogers centre being more and more obsolete it will stick for a while, the location is absolutely perfect).

Obviously the water is a factor with the location of Rays stadium, is the Lightning arena closer to a public transportation hub?

no way Montreal should get another MLB franchise 

also no reason to keep the Jags in Jacksonville 
Montreal is a lot different than it was 20 years ago and drew pretty well before the team was always for sale/being relocated. What was done to that fanbase by Loria et al is brutal. Jonah Keri's book covers it well.

A lot of corporate head offices pulled out of the city when there was talk of Quebec separatism but that's not really a factor there anymore and the economy is booming. 

If they had a downtown stadium, it would take off and never be an issue again but until that exists or a realistic proposal and backer for it, it's just a lot of hope.

Montreal is a lot different than it was 20 years ago and drew pretty well before the team was always for sale/being relocated. What was done to that fanbase by Loria et al is brutal. Jonah Keri's book covers it well.

A lot of corporate head offices pulled out of the city when there was talk of Quebec separatism but that's not really a factor there anymore and the economy is booming. 

If they had a downtown stadium, it would take off and never be an issue again but until that exists or a realistic proposal and backer for it, it's just a lot of hope.
Portland has financial backers....

I don't know why folks don't like the Trop??

Too hot for the boys of summer? Not in the Trop- 72 degrees every game.

Sick of rain delays? Not in the Trop, although I once went to a game where a storm knocked out the power for about 15 minutes. And it's pretty weird to be in there when you can hear the daily afternoon storm beating down on the roof.

Tailgate in Ferg's open air bar and then do the 100 meter mosey to the game- unbeatable!

Rays UP!

I don't know why folks don't like the Trop??

Too hot for the boys of summer? Not in the Trop- 72 degrees every game.

Sick of rain delays? Not in the Trop, although I once went to a game where a storm knocked out the power for about 15 minutes. And it's pretty weird to be in there when you can hear the daily afternoon storm beating down on the roof.

Tailgate in Ferg's open air bar and then do the 100 meter mosey to the game- unbeatable!

Rays UP!
They want to make an open air stadium that has some sort of shade.  They claim that some roof design is supposed to make it drastically cooler than sitting in the sun.  So it will basically be like going out into your garage in the middle of summer.

They want to make an open air stadium that has some sort of shade.  They claim that some roof design is supposed to make it drastically cooler than sitting in the sun.  So it will basically be like going out into your garage in the middle of summer.
My garage is stinking hot in the summer, fall, spring and most of winter.

The Trop also has the bonus of watching visiting teams trying to track a high fly ball. 

No viable public transit options? Anywhere outside 10 miles from downtown Toronto is a 50 minute drive (not an exaggeration Toronto goes back and forth with LA for worst traffic in North America). 

But there are dozens of spots outside the city I can park a take a train right to the game, and if you're in the city but not downtown, there are dozens of subway options (this is why despite the Rogers centre being more and more obsolete it will stick for a while, the location is absolutely perfect).

Obviously the water is a factor with the location of Rays stadium, is the Lightning arena closer to a public transportation hub?
Toronto is the 4th largest market in North America. You can’t compare St. Pete to them. 

There’s no public transportation in Tampa Bay at all, other than some city busses that don’t cross the bay. None. Zip. Lol at a subway. I wish. We can’t even have basements here. 

Toronto is the 4th largest market in North America. You can’t compare St. Pete to them. 

There’s no public transportation in Tampa Bay at all, other than some city busses that don’t cross the bay. None. Zip. Lol at a subway. I wish. We can’t even have basements here. 
Public investment in transportation infrastructure would make more sense than funding a new stadium for Sternberg and his rich friends.

Public investment in transportation infrastructure would make more sense than funding a new stadium for Sternberg and his rich friends.
Man I’ve been banging the drum for public transportation in this place since I was 15 years old. Desperately need a rail connecting the two cities. I don’t think it’s ever going to happen in my lifetime. 

Users who are viewing this thread