What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

54 year old rapes 14 year old gets 30 days (1 Viewer)

NCCommish

Footballguy
Are you ####### kidding me?

A Montana judge ordered 30 days in jail for an ex-teacher convicted of raping a 14-year-old girl who later killed herself.

Former Billings high school teacher Stacey Dean Rambold, 54, was looking at 20 years behind bars as part of a deal with prosecutors, who pounced after the creepy instructor was kicked out of a sex offender treatment program.

Yellowstone County District Judge G. Todd Baugh instead sentenced Rambold to 15 years with all but 31 days suspended, the Billings Gazette reported. The judge knocked off another day for time served.

Auliea Hanlon, the girl’s mother, shouted “You people suck!” as she stormed out of the courtroom, the paper reported.

Hanlon had testified Rambold’s sexual relationship with her daughter, Cherice Moralez, was a “major factor” in the girl’s suicide. She begged the judge for justice.

“Please put him behind bars,” Hanlon pleaded.

The judge claimed Moralez was “as much in control of the situation” as her 49-year-old teacher. He added the girl was “older than her chronological age.”

The case began in 2008 when prosecutors charged Rambold with three counts of sexual intercourse without consent after learning of his relationship with Moralez.

The case was still pending in February 2010 when Moralez committed suicide.

Prosecutors, worried about their case without the star witness, made an agreement with Rambold to dismiss the charges if he completed a three-year treatment program.

Program administrators terminated Rambold after he missed meetings, had unsupervised visits with minors and began having sex with a woman.

A civil lawsuit Hanlon filed against the school district revealed that school officials in 2004 ordered Rambold not to touch or spend time alone with female students.

The district settled the case for $91,000.

Baugh said he didn’t think the actions that got Rambold kicked out of the treatment program warranted years in prison.

Rambold’s attorney said his client was now in a new program.

Daily News
So this guy came with a troubled background to the point he was warned very pointedly not to so much as touch a female student. Which to me says he shouldn't have been allowed to teach. Then he fails his "treatment" by having unsupervised visits with minors and this is what he gets. Every part of the justice system failed this girl and her family. Every part of it.

There has to be something missing from the story? The facts presented are sickening.

Yeah, pretty much the only part of the entire story as presented that I'm OK with is knocking off 1 day for time already served. Everything else is revolting.

From another Billings Gazette article, a couple of quotes from the judge:

“Obviously, a 14-year-old can’t consent. I think that people have in mind that this was some violent, forcible, horrible rape,” Baugh said. “It was horrible enough as it is just given her age, but it wasn’t this forcible beat-up rape.”

“I think what people are seeing is a sentence for rape of 30 days. Obviously on the face of it, if you look at it that way, it’s crazy,” Baugh said. “No wonder people are upset. I’d be upset, too, if that happened.”

“Obviously, a 14-year-old can’t consent. I think that people have in mind that this was some violent, forcible, horrible rape,” Baugh said. “It was horrible enough as it is just given her age, but it wasn’t this forcible beat-up rape.”

“I think what people are seeing is a sentence for rape of 30 days. Obviously on the face of it, if you look at it that way, it’s crazy,” Baugh said. “No wonder people are upset. I’d be upset, too, if that happened.”
If I was his lawyer my advice would be stop digging. What an idiot trotting out the "forcible" rape meme.

If I was his lawyer my advice would be stop digging. What an idiot trotting out the "forcible" rape meme.
I don't know anything about the specifics of this case, but I agree that we shouldn't treat statutory rape the same way that we treat non-consensual rape. The terminology here is problematic, but the point is that a 19 year old who has "consensual" sex with a 14 year old (yes, I know a 14 year old can't really consent in a philosophical or legal sense) isn't the same thing as that same 19 year old attacking a stranger in a parking lot, and those actions don't merit the same sentence. I think you probably agree with me on this.

That said, the circumstances in this particular case seem to merit quite a bit more than 30 days, so I agree with you on that part.

Especially given that- since it wasn't "forcible" in nature- the 14 year old was at risk of conceiving and all... :wall:

I don't know anything about the specifics of this case, but I agree that we shouldn't treat statutory rape the same way that we treat non-consensual rape. The terminology here is problematic, but the point is that a 19 year old who has "consensual" sex with a 14 year old (yes, I know a 14 year old can't really consent in a philosophical or legal sense) isn't the same thing as that same 19 year old attacking a stranger in a parking lot, and those actions don't merit the same sentence. I think you probably agree with me on this.
This is a 54 year old with an obviously known history so a repeat offender. Now of course there is a difference between the two crimes. But I mean Mary Jo Letourneau got 7 years and her victim didn't commit suicide over it. There is no way this is an appropriate sentence or an appropriate way for the judge to address it.

I live near Montana and, if I ever have a daughter, I'm probably not living in Montana.
Just don't raise a daughter who at 14 wants to have sex with 54 y/o guys and you're probably not going to be involved in a situation like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

If that 19 year old has a history of sexual predatory actions against young teenage girls, has been through treatment programs, yet continues to prey on minors, I would put them in the same category and punish them the same way.

I feel sad for this girl and her family. And I think it should be illegal for a public school teacher to engage in sexual relationships with their students as that is an abuse of power.

That said, considering 18 the age of consent is ridiculous. I had sex well before I was 18 and I'm sure many of you did as well. I'm not exactly sure what the correct age should be, I am sure it shouldn't be 18. We need to stop infantilizing our children. I don't think thats good for our society in the long run.

ETA: I say this as a father of 2 young girls, knowing full well that I'd be pissed to high heaven if a 40+ year old was banging one of them in their teens. I just don't think this law is correct. As a 16 year old I was fully capable of consenting to have sex when I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel sad for this girl and her family. And I think it should be illegal for a public school teacher to engage in sexual relationships with their students as that is an abuse of power.

That said, considering 18 the age of consent is ridiculous. I had sex well before I was 18 and I'm sure many of you did as well. I'm not exactly sure what the correct age should be, I am sure it shouldn't be 18. We need to stop infantilizing our children. I don't think thats good for our society in the long run.

ETA: I say this as a father of 2 young girls, knowing full well that I'd be pissed to high heaven if a 40+ year old was banging one of them in their teens. I just don't think this law is correct. As a 16 year old I was fully capable of consenting to have sex when I did.
18 isn't the age in many states. It's mostly 16-17. But she wasn't that old she was 14. 14.

18 isn't the age in many states. It's mostly 16-17. But she wasn't that old she was 14. 14.
While I didn't have sex at 14, I'm pretty sure I was perfectly capable of making that decision myself at that age. That may not be everyone though.

16ish is probably the correct age. Most everyone is through puberty at that point. They can drive, have been old enough to work for 2 years, etc.

While I didn't have sex at 14, I'm pretty sure I was perfectly capable of making that decision myself at that age. That may not be everyone though.

16ish is probably the correct age. Most everyone is through puberty at that point. They can drive, have been old enough to work for 2 years, etc.
I think it is that they are still pretty easily manipulated at that age, especially by someone 30+ years old than them.

Their brain isn't fully developed and they probably shouldn't be driving as impulse control/risk aversion is weak at best in most people at that age. They also are only just barely starting to get the ability to think about the consequences of their behavior.

I was an early starter. I had my first experience at 12 with a nice Catholic school girl. But I wasn't like most kids. I was an only child who spent most of his time with adults. I seemed advanced for my age intellectually but even then I took chances I would never take these days or even a couple of years down the road from those early experiences. A lot of luck involved with the fact that I don't have a kid or two out there. It was too early but what's done is done.

A pedophile is someone sexually attracted to pre-pubescents, not 14 year olds.
Seriously? I will concede the semantics here, but anybody that is over 40 and has sex with a 14 year old is a sick depraved predator. My daughter is almost 14, and if this happened to her, I would kill the guy. Painfully.

I live near Montana and, if I ever have a daughter, I'm probably not living in Montana.
Yeah, clearly this is a problem with the whole state and not one misguided judge.
In my experience, there's definitely more than one misguided judge in that state.
I'm sure there probably is, just like every other state. I live in Montana and have two daughters. This is way down my list of concerns.

Seriously? I will concede the semantics here, but anybody that is over 40 and has sex with a 14 year old is a sick depraved predator. My daughter is almost 14, and if this happened to her, I would kill the guy. Painfully.
That's neither here not there.

He's right about the pedophilia thing and you're right that perp is a depraved predator.

He's right about the pedophilia thing and you're right that perp is a depraved predator.
This. I'm just in a stickler for accuracy mode right now.

Yeah, clearly this is a problem with the whole state and not one misguided judge.
In my experience, there's definitely more than one misguided judge in that state.
I'm sure there probably is, just like every other state. I live in Montana and have two daughters. This is way down my list of concerns.
Touche then.

Their brain isn't fully developed and they probably shouldn't be driving as impulse control/risk aversion is weak at best in most people at that age. They also are only just barely starting to get the ability to think about the consequences of their behavior.

I was an early starter. I had my first experience at 12 with a nice Catholic school girl. But I wasn't like most kids. I was an only child who spent most of his time with adults. I seemed advanced for my age intellectually but even then I took chances I would never take these days or even a couple of years down the road from those early experiences. A lot of luck involved with the fact that I don't have a kid or two out there. It was too early but what's done is done.
I agree with you that a young adult is fully developed mentally, but there are many on these boards that believe it's ok to try a minor (as young as 13 in the one thread I believe) as an adult because "he knew what he was doing". If you are going to treat that minor as an adult, it seems to follow that a 14 year is capable of "knowing what they are doing" as well.

I agree with you that a young adult is fully developed mentally, but there are many on these boards that believe it's ok to try a minor (as young as 13 in the one thread I believe) as an adult because "he knew what he was doing". If you are going to treat that minor as an adult, it seems to follow that a 14 year is capable of "knowing what they are doing" as well.
Good point.

Yeah but the deal there is stop charging children as adults not to act like 14 year olds are adults.

This. I'm just in a stickler for accuracy mode right now.
Right.

Imagine that you're the beach or the pool and you see a hot girl in a bikini from a distance. A minute later you find out she's your buddy's 14 year old niece and not an adult. That doesn't make one a pedophile.

This is pretty much where I fall on this. The kids that axe murdered their grandmother's thread, I was totally a-okay with them being tried as an adult.I know my stance in this thread is probably unpopular, but at least I'm consistant.

If that 19 year old has a history of sexual predatory actions against young teenage girls, has been through treatment programs, yet continues to prey on minors, I would put them in the same category and punish them the same way.
I agree. If you had read one post further, you would seen that.

This is pretty much where I fall on this. The kids that axe murdered their grandmother's thread, I was totally a-okay with them being tried as an adult.I know my stance in this thread is probably unpopular, but at least I'm consistant.
Also, ax-murdering your grandparent isn't the same thing as having sex. Ax-murdering someone to steal their money is morally wrong. Having sex isn't. One is a fairly clear-cut ethical issue, whereas the other is more about making good decisions. So there's that too.

I'm guessing from the comments made by the judge that this girl was likely extremely promiscuous with others and hence the light sentence of the 54 y.o.

I agree. If you had read one post further, you would seen that.
I did read your following post, but I didn't read between your lines to infer that. It wasn't exactly crystal clear your were going that far, but if so then :hifive:

Also, ax-murdering your grandparent isn't the same thing as having sex. Ax-murdering someone to steal their money is morally wrong. Having sex isn't. One is a fairly clear-cut ethical issue, whereas the other is more about making good decisions. So there's that too.
No? Hmmm. I guess I'm actually a virgin then.

Just don't raise a daughter who at 14 wants to have sex with 54 y/o guys and you're probably not going to be involved in a situation like this.
I sure hope you have a link to back this claim up, because otherwise it's a pretty disgusting comment given the fact that she committed suicide.
How about the OP:

The judge claimed Moralez was “as much in control of the situation” as her 49-year-old teacher. He added the girl was “older than her chronological age.”

Users who are viewing this thread