What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

#7 pick; PPR; Flex; 12 team league strategy thread (1 Viewer)

xenon

Footballguy
If there is already a thread, can somebody merge it?

If not, let's use this to help each other out pre-draft. Having just started to think about it, I am not sure if I am going to go RB/RB or RB/WR.

I am fairly certain I won't be taking Calvin @ #7 if he is there so definitely a RB @ 1.7.

If there is already a thread, can somebody merge it?

If not, let's use this to help each other out pre-draft. Having just started to think about it, I am not sure if I am going to go RB/RB or RB/WR.

I am fairly certain I won't be taking Calvin @ #7 if he is there so definitely a RB @ 1.7.
I'm taking (and have taken) Calvin as early as 1.06 is AP/Martin/Spiller/Charles/McCoy are gone. Went Calvin/Julio/DWilson/Bell/Bernard/Vereen once, that was awesome. Bernard/Vereen have started skyrocketing though, so can't do that anymore.

I am liking Lynch at 7 and before Megatron...I would even consider Richardson if Lynch is not there.

Assuming Richardson is there, I am 99.9% drafting him...now the dilema of round #2. Are most of you going RW or WR? and if RB, who you targeting? I am finding Ridley and MJD are often there.

At #7, we have to get a RB with one of our first picks if not both. In most mocks I've done, I gone with Richardson in the 1st and then gone WR/WR often times ending up with Dez, AJ or Marshall and then coming back with Andre Johnson or Fitz if he falls...clearly, there other solid WR's available as I am just not digging the RB's available at that time. The problem is the 4th rd. RB...I would hope for Lacy but that's not happening and especially with Bell out in PIT. Therefore, It's a reach for D Richardson or snagging Mathews in SD. I've got Mendenhall on my radar as well as the law firm later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took Johnson with 1.07 in an FSWA league after some mild debate. Both Rice and McCoy were there for the taking too.

I am down on Rice this year. The fact that the Ravens went away from using their best weapon so many times last year - totally inexplicably - scared me off. Not to mention the losses to the passing game. Will that be of Rice's benefit or could defenses just key on him even more now?

I'm big on McCoy but in almost every mock I participated with similar levels of competition, WRs were picked clean by 2.06. I'm of the thinking that a game-changing WR is critical in PPR leagues.

Of course I ended up being wrong and at 2.06 I could have had Thomas.

Ended taking SJax at 2.06... and I think Calvin/SJax sounds sexier than McCoy/Thomas. Maybe that's just me.

For the record I ended up with:

QB - Romo

RB - SJax, Lacy, Mendenhall, Fred Jackson, Tate, L. Murray

WR - Calvin, Welker, Wallace, Wright, Hill, Dobson

TE - Witten, Bennett, Dickson

K - Bryant

D - SFO

I've noted elsewhere that #7 can be a tricky spot. It ended up being a little squirrely and my tendencies to load up on WRs may have hurt me a bit. I just need someone like F-Jax or Tate to hit and I should be golden.

12 team PPR / .5 for RB. 2 RB, 3 WR and flex

1. Richardson

Bryant

Roddy

V.jax

Wayne

Matt Ryan

D will (reach)

Olsen

BJGE

Blackmon

F jax

Then backups and Def, K

You chose to roll with DWill as your RB2? Man, that's rough. Was there really no RB available in round 2-5 that you liked? I mean, you could've forgone one of your early round WR grabs and waited until the later rounds as there's a ton of WR value there this year.

1) Trent/LeSean

2) AJ/Dez/Demario

3) Wilson/Lacy

4) Wayne -- (Manning)

5) D Richardson -- (Brady)

6) GriffinIII/Kaepernick -- (Hilton/Gordon)

7) SJohnson

8) JCameron/Finley (Hillman/Ballard if I missed on DRich)

9) Sea def/SF def. Cameron/Finley

10) CGivens

SameSongNDance said:
You chose to roll with DWill as your RB2? Man, that's rough. Was there really no RB available in round 2-5 that you liked? I mean, you could've forgone one of your early round WR grabs and waited until the later rounds as there's a ton of WR value there this year.
Keep in mind RB get .5 PPR.

Round two, took Dez and that triggered WRs 3-7 coming off in a row, next RB Ridley. Give me Dez all day in this format.

Round 3, took Roddy, next RBs Murray/Miller.

Round 4 took V.jax. Gore went right before me. RBs I could have taken are Mathews, Bernard.

Round 5, took my every week flex Wayne over Ball, Ingram.

When I finally took Dwill the WRs I missed out on we're Jennings, Strve Johnson, E. Sanders.

Not happy with D will at all at RB2, can rotate BJGe, Fjax as well.

I am happier with my team how it is now than reaching for a spot. In this type of format WRs are more valuable than normal.

SameSongNDance said:
Keep in mind RB get .5 PPR.

Round two, took Dez and that triggered WRs 3-7 coming off in a row, next RB Ridley. Give me Dez all day in this format.

Round 4 took V.jax. Gore went right before me. RBs I could have taken are Mathews, Bernard.

When I finally took Dwill the WRs I missed out on we're Jennings, Strve Johnson, E. Sanders.

I am happier with my team how it is now than reaching for a spot. In this type of format WRs are more valuable than normal.
You sound like a cool customer while drafting. Solid reasoning for who you pick and when.

SameSongNDance said:
Keep in mind RB get .5 PPR.Round two, took Dez and that triggered WRs 3-7 coming off in a row, next RB Ridley. Give me Dez all day in this format.

You sound like a cool customer while drafting. Solid reasoning for who you pick and when.
Thanks. With only 90 seconds to pick I do pull my hair out sometimes. The only round that was difficult for me was round 3, I do like Murray some but just don't trust him to be around when I need him. The other rounds it seemed like easy choices over the RBs.

Thanks. With only 90 seconds to pick I do pull my hair out sometimes. The only round that was difficult for me was round 3, I do like Murray some but just don't trust him to be around when I need him. The other rounds it seemed like easy choices over the RBs.
I was just about to respond and mention round 3 before your wrote this. I probably would've gambled with Murray, especially if you knew/thought it was possible that you'd be able to snag VJax as your WR2.

I actually don't mind Mathews or Gio in the 4th either, but I would not have passed up on VJax on my WR3, no. I do have VJax ranked higher than others though (higher than Roddy).

I'd just be prepared to work the WW.

I keep talking myself out of a QB in rd 2. I am a QB kinda guy. Last year was Brady in rd1, Brees the year before....but then I strt thinking RB in rd2....everyday someone new.....

Had my draft on sunday at the 7th pick 12 team .5 ppr, 6 pt tds, no bonuses. 1 QB/ 2 RB/ 2 WR/ 1 TE/ 1 DST/ 1 PK/ 1 FLEX

1- J. Charles

2- Forte (Green, Dez, Fitz gone. Was either Forte or D.Thomas)

3- Jimmy Graham (Was shocked he was available...couldnt pass up the value here especially in the 3rd round).

4-David Wilson (Was thinking about going WR with Cruz, Welker, or Colston but decided to grab another RB.)

5-Antonio Brown (Best WR available imo b/w James Jones, Wallace, Shorts, and Nelson)

6- Russel Wilson- (Best QB available before drop off to Eli, Dalton, and Shaub)

7- Jordy Nelson (Potential steal in the 7th round

8- Shane Vareen (Although i needed a WR I liked vareens value over guys like Stevie Johnson, Boldin, Tate)

9- Josh Gordon

10- Dalton

11- D. Hopkins

12- Hartline

13- Bernard Pierce

14- GB Def

15- Matt Prater

Really like my team despite not having a strong WR1. I felt that since RBs are harder to find during the season so I could always use them as trade bait. I also took all my RBs at or below ADP. Only regret I may have is not going with Cruz in the 4th. What do you guys think/would have done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my draft on sunday at the 7th pick 12 team .5 ppr, 6 pt tds, no bonuses. 1 QB/ 2 RB/ 2 WR/ 1 TE/ 1 DST/ 1 PK/ 1 FLEX

1- J. Charles

3- Jimmy Graham (Was shocked he was available...couldnt pass up the value here especially in the 3rd round).

4-David Wilson (Was thinking about going WR with Cruz, Welker, or Colston but decided to grab another RB.)

5-Antonio Brown (Best WR available imo b/w James Jones, Wallace, Shorts, and Nelson)

8- Shane Vareen (Although i needed a WR I liked vareens value over guys like Stevie Johnson, Boldin, Tate)

9- Josh Gordon

10- Dalton

11- D. Hopkins

12- Hartline

13- Bernard Pierce

14- GB Def

15- Matt Prater

Really like my team despite not having a strong WR1. I felt that since RBs are harder to find during the season so I could always use them as trade bait. I also took all my RBs at or below ADP. Only regret I may have is not going with Cruz in the 4th. What do you guys think/would have done?
Curious about Ingram. For some reason I really like him, where did he go?

1- J. Charles

9- Josh Gordon

10- Dalton

11- D. Hopkins

12- Hartline

13- Bernard Pierce

14- GB Def

15- Matt Prater

Curious about Ingram. For some reason I really like him, where did he go?
Ingram was drafted at 10.3 A lot of RBs were undervalued in that draft though as people went QBs and WRs early

In order

TRich

MJD

Andre Johnson

Reggie Wayne

Eddie Lacey

Michael Vick....All other QB's were gone. I had hoped for Luck or Romo in this spot but the QB run started right just before my pick in the 5h and ended right after....so I am not too pleased with this. My target had been to draft a QB in round 6 all along and I thought I'd get one of my targets...I had targeted Vick as my QB #2....oh well.

Kembrall Thomkins (total gamble)

Eli (I figured I needed to come right back with my QB # 2)

Brian Hartline (my sleeper pick of the year...although not a total sleeper, I feel everyone was sleeping on him, he should be solid in PPR)

Chicago

Knowshown Moreno (I stil believe he can end up the # 1 RB in DEN)

Fred Davis (may have waited too long on TE but had Davis in 2011 and he was solid - and he was my target late and knowing I was waiting on TE)

Christine Michael (my lottery ticket for the year - I have one every year)

Greg Zeurlin

Julian Thomas

Others I coveted/considered drafting/would have drafted in certain circumstances and were on my draft boards;

Roy Helu - handcuffed

Joquie Bell - handcuffed

Rashard Mendenhall - drafted

Ryan Mathews - drafted

Rueben Randle - drafted

Nate Washington - free agent

Good Luck everybody.

Had my draft on Monday at the 7th pick in a 12 team league.

1point ppr, 6 pt tds, + bonuses.

1 QB/ 2 RB/ 3 WR/ 1 TE/ 1 FLEX / 1 DST/ 1 PK

1- Doug Martin (I know, I couldn't believe it either!)

2- Dez Bryant

3- Jones-Drew

4- Bowe

5- Sproles

6- Romo

7- V. Davis

8- James Jones

9- Kenny Britt

10- Vincent Brown

11- Dalton

12- Fred Davis

13- Joquie Bell

14- TB Def

15- Hartley

10 team / PPR / 6 pt All TD / Flex

1. Calvin Johnson. Really wanted Spiller to drop but that was a pipe dream. Can't go wrong with Megatron. None of RBs available did it for me.

2. Dez Bryant. RBs available did not thrill me so I said screw it and grabbed Dez. Think he can challenge Mega for top WR. Gives me 2 of the elite WRs & sent other owners scrambling for WRs

3. Cam Newton. This league thrives on QBs so I had to grab cam. Was a toss up between him and Ryan.

4. Maurice Jones-Drew - was considering him in the 3rd but QBs rack up a ton more points in this league. Was quite happy he fell to me @ 33 overall.

5. Eric Decker - Wanted to get best flex play possible and the RBs on board really didn't intrigue. Reggie Wayne was picked right b4 me which would've been my guy. Can't say I'm mad getting Decker though. He gives 3 of the top 11 WRs from last season

6. Lamar Miller - round out my RB2 spot with Miller. Not sure if he is a worthy 2 but that was a chance I was willing to take getting Mega & Dez.

QB - Can Newton

RB - Maurice Jones-Drew

RB - Lamar Miller

WR - Calvin Johnson

WR - Dez Bryant

TE - Jermicheal Finley

FLEX - Eric Decker

DST - Ravens

Wasn't thrilled drawing 7th but I think I did alright. A little weak at RB but my WRs should make that up

Users who are viewing this thread