What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"75 Hard" challenge (1 Viewer)

gruecd

Footballguy
I'm going to start the "75 Hard" challenge on June 1, and I'm looking for some accountability buddies. I think it's been mentioned in the FFA a couple of times in the past, but for anyone who isn't familiar, it requires you to complete each of the following for 75 days straight:

1. Follow a structured diet. No alcohol or "cheat meals."
2. Complete two 45-minute workouts a day. One must be outside.
3. Drink a gallon of water.
4. Read 10 pages of a nonfiction, educational book. Audiobooks don’t count.
5. Take a progress picture.

I thought this might appeal to some of you who are trying to lose weight. Anyone with me??

Man, out on the 1st requirement. Hard fail.
The fact that the "no alcohol" thing feels like the hardest part to me, too, tells me that it's probably a good thing to do.
I think it's more the timing for me. I waited all winter to be able to sit outside, watch baseball, have a few pops with my friends, and BBQ some good food. Just not willing to give up basically my whole summer of that.

I have a friend that has a hard time committing to diets and working out and he has tried 75 Hard at least three times since he is desperately looking for a massive change in his appearance. He iquit the program within a week every timei. 75 Hard would be a great way to get into shape and lose weight but as I have told him, it seems like most folks will fail due to time commitment required for the work outs even if they committed to avoiding alcohol.

I have a friend that has a hard time committing to diets and working out and he has tried 75 Hard at least three times since he is desperately looking for a massive change in his appearance. He iquit the program within a week every timei. 75 Hard would be a great way to get into shape and lose weight but as I have told him, it seems like most folks will fail due to time commitment required for the work outs even if they committed to avoiding alcohol.
Yeah, the way I see it, it's imperative to get up super early and knock out one workout before you start your day. I've got a couple of days where I have early flights and long days - those will be the biggest challenge.

All kidding aside I would consider joining you but it’s just too strict IMO. I have a goal to get in to the best shape of my adult life in the next 358 days (when I turn 50) so I’m willing to try but I see no way I won’t have a drink or cheat meal in 75 days

I've done it twice.

Highly effective. The second/outdoor 45 minute workout was the hardest for me. Took a lot of very late night walks just before bed. Once or twice in the rain.

My wife just started it again on Wednesday. I told her I'm not doing it again this year...but I've made enough consistent changes in my life from the first couple of times that I don't really need it.

I'm going to start the "75 Hard" challenge on June 1, and I'm looking for some accountability buddies. I think it's been mentioned in the FFA a couple of times in the past, but for anyone who isn't familiar, it requires you to complete each of the following for 75 days straight:

I thought this might appeal to some of you who are trying to lose weight. Anyone with me??
For my diets I did the following (was fairly easy to maintain):
- intermittent fast M-F...no eating after 9pm and not until 11:30 for lunch (most people go longer, but this was more realistic for me)
- Healthy, veggie heavy options for lunches only. If eating out, only allowed veggie fried rice, veggie wraps or griled chicken salad.
- Single portions at dinner only and no dessert
- Drink only water and black coffee

ETA: What I ate for dinner was not restricted at all, just the quantity.

- intermittent fast M-F...no eating after 9pm and not until 11:30 for lunch (most people go longer, but this was more realistic for me)
- Healthy, veggie heavy options for lunches only. If eating out, only allowed veggie fried rice, veggie wraps or griled chicken salad.

No breakfast?

Somewhat interested but the no cheat meals is a deal breaker for me. I've been cutting back on crap and been doing some intermittent fasting with some success but what gets me through is looking forward to the Saturday pizza or cheeseburger and fries. Of course I like to have a beer with that meal as well. Figure if I good for 6 days out of the week nothing wrong with cheating on the 7th day.

No breakfast?
Only on Saturday & Sunday. Treated those mornings same as dinner...single portions and no pancakes/syrup. Usually did a veggie omelet and fruit.

Also mad respect to you Gruecd for starting this on June 1. Summer is drinking season in WI with all the festivals, golf and softball leagues, and weekends on the lake. The no drinking during these specific months would be extremely difficult for me.

Would two consecutive 45-minute workouts count? There's no way I could find the time in the evening otherwise.

No alcohol is an easy one. I have so much expired beer in my pantry. Sometimes I go a couple months without booze. Mostly because I hate drinking my calories. So extending to 75 days would be cake.

I commend Grue for trying it but if you did those things 74/75 days it’s still a success. Something I would be more interested in would be a honor system challenge where you do those things out of 75 days or X days. Maybe weight loss + number of successful days is the “winner”.

75 days of no alcohol?

Over the summer?

No thank you :heart:

think it's more the timing for me. I waited all winter to be able to sit outside, watch baseball, have a few pops with my friends, and BBQ some good food. Just not willing to give up basically my whole summer of that.
Exactly. The no February thing makes more sense since the weather sucks anyway. Plus it's a shorter month.

Just committing to one of those goals would be tough for most people. For me, easiest to hardest is 5-1-2-3-4.

Drinking a ton of water is much harder than eliminating booze IMO. I have a gallon jug already, and barely finish more than 1/3 of it in a day.

For me, easiest to hardest is 5-1-2-3-4.
Reading 10 pages of a book is the hardest? How is that even possibly close to the hardest?

Reading 10 pages of a book is the hardest? How is that even possibly close to the hardest?
It's the hardest for me because I have no desire to read. I have never been a reader as it just doesn't interest me. I read articles, newspapers, other stuff but just sitting down for a 250 page book on any topic is so boring to me.....even at 10 pages at a time. Just no desire to do it.

Contemplating it.....but working out (esp 2x day) is my biggest challenge. I have bad asthma and I get very winded once I start doing most things physically beyond a walk.

The diet would be hard but I prob could do it.....the rest is easy. I rarely drink (but summer is hard to not drink), and I could read every day if forced, 10 pages is not that heard (I'll read a kid's book with 2 sentences on each page lol).

Sorry, second hardest.

Selfie is easiest, though I hate pictures.
Not hard to follow a diet. Don’t care about alcohol.
Working out also isn’t difficult, but would prefer a single 1.5 hour block.
Don’t like reading. I’m a functional illiterate, with a short attention span.
Drinking that much water is most difficult.

I‘ve done the first four independently, in different times of my life, some way longer than 75 days. I’m not sure I‘ve ever drank a gallon of water in a day. Maybe after exercising a lot.

Looking forward to see how this goes for you :popcorn:

If you start dropping PRs, I'll have to consider it down the road.

Looking forward to see how this goes for you :popcorn:

If you start dropping PRs, I'll have to consider it down the road.
I’ll drop lbs, which should lead to dropping PRs.

Sorry, second hardest.

I‘ve done the first four independently, in different times of my life, some way longer than 75 days. I’m not sure I‘ve ever drank a gallon of water in a day. Maybe after exercising a lot.
Have you gone 2.5 months with no alcohol and no cheat meals? Like really followed a diet and didn't stray?

Two different 45 minute workouts without missing a day, for 2.5 months is really, really hard.

I don't know, I think way more people could suffer through sitting on their *** and reading for 15 minutes a day compared to those other 2

Sorry, second hardest.

Have you gone 2.5 months with no alcohol and no cheat meals? Like really followed a diet and didn't stray?

Two different 45 minute workouts without missing a day, for 2.5 months is really, really hard.

I don't know, I think way more people could suffer through sitting on their *** and reading for 15 minutes a day compared to those other 2
We’re not talking about most people, or I wasn’t, at least.

I could go without alcohol for the rest of my life, no problem. As it is, I drink a few times a year, if a mixed drink sounds interesting. Truth be told, I don’t understand what all the fuss is about. Just makes me sleepy and “medicine-headed”, like taking a Benadryl. Not something I can’t live without.

I love sweets, but if they’re not around, I won’t go out of my way to snack. And no need for a ”cheat” meal, if you enjoy eating healthily. After years of training my palate, I don’t crave junk food much (pizza notwithstanding). Some of that is in the eye of the beholder though, as we probably have different ideas about what constitutes healthy. I eat mostly carbohydrates, for example, as part of a pescatarian, Mediterranean diet.

I do something active (walking counts) for an hour a day, nearly every day, and often go longer. Been that way since college. Splitting activity up into two 45 min blocks might make it more difficult.

And since finishing school decades ago, I can count the number of books I’ve read on one hand. While the actual effort seems minimal, I‘m not into reading at all.

I’ve tried to increase my water intake, but it just isn’t my habit, as I tend to drink only when thirsty. Even with a giant gallon jug marking hourly intake sitting right in front of me, I quickly fall behind. You may find this unbelievable. I look at people complaining about abstaining from alcohol a couple months with the same incredulity.

So yeah, for me, water intake and reading are the deal breakers.

How strict is the diet? I’d bet most average people couldn’t do this even if there was a suitcase with $100k in it at the end.

How strict is the diet? I’d bet most average people couldn’t do this even if there was a suitcase with $100k in it at the end.
It’s a diet of your choosing, with a goal of physical improvement. The only thing explicitly prohibited as alcohol.

Monetary incentives have shown limited utility in diets for weight loss, though I’ve never seen remotely near $100K offered.

It’s a diet of your choosing, with a goal of physical improvement. The only thing explicitly prohibited as alcohol.

Monetary incentives have shown limited utility in diets for weight loss, though I’ve never seen remotely near $100K offered.

Wondering if it was Whole 30 level cleanliness. Diet of my choosing seems pretty open to interpretation.

$100k is probably extreme as a hypothetical, but your average weekend warrior bloke isn’t pulling this off without some serious motivation.

That wouldn't be a good thing for my bod, I don't think. Bone-on-bone in my right big toe, plantar fasciitis in both feet, frequent sciatica pain, nerve damage in my left hand (I'll be 61 st the end of summer.)

I need recovery days. Consistency is a good thing but if I don't properly manage my workout schedules I end up much worse off with negligible benefit.

All things in moderation has served me well throughout my life.

That wouldn't be a good thing for my bod, I don't think. Bone-on-bone in my right big toe, plantar fasciitis in both feet, frequent sciatica pain, nerve damage in my left hand (I'll be 61 st the end of summer.)

I need recovery days. Consistency is a good thing but if I don't properly manage my workout schedules I end up much worse off with negligible benefit.

All things in moderation has served me well throughout my life.
You could swim for 45 min, then do something like yoga or tai chi with your other block.

Wondering if it was Whole 30 level cleanliness. Diet of my choosing seems pretty open to interpretation.

$100k is probably extreme as a hypothetical, but your average weekend warrior bloke isn’t pulling this off without some serious motivation.
Agreed. But I think it could be something as simple as a DASH or Mediterranean diet, neither of which are too restrictive, imo.

I would but I’m going to drink this summer. Also kind of funny how the requirements are pretty hard and then it’s read 10 pages like a 1st grader.
I knew about the booze, but now I’m starting to think this place is filled with bookaholics.

Users who are viewing this thread