What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (1 Viewer)

NHL Hall of Famer Clark Gillies, 67.

As a lifelong NY Ranger fan, I have always despised everything about the Islanders, but had a ton of respect for the way Gillies played and carried himself. RIP

There are few songs that got more radio play than Paradise by the Dashboard Lights. You can't even comprehend how big a song that was if you weren't of age when it came out. It was crazy.
Great song. I haven't heard it for a long time. If someone out there hasn't heard it, I would suggest you play it.

Creative, funny and with a good punch line.

Last edited by a moderator:
NHL Hall of Famer Clark Gillies, 67.

As a lifelong NY Ranger fan, I have always despised everything about the Islanders, but had a ton of respect for the way Gillies played and carried himself. RIP

... as a diehard Phlyer fan back in the day, who was heartbroken on that fateful Saturday afternoon in May of '80 at the Mausoleum, i echo your sentiments. 

Left Wing on one of the greatest lines in history, the aptly dubbed LILCO (named after the Long Island Lighting Co.), along with Trotts & Bossy. 

the more time goes by, the more i believe that team starts to get lost in the shuffle a bit, seeing as how the great Habs dynasty of the '70s preceeded them, then the Gretzky era Oilers dethroned them and dominated the balance of the '80s. 

Gillies was a load, tho ... him & Nystrom were the closest they ever had to legit "muscle", and both were also remarkable forecheckers - Al Arbour got every last inch outta that roster - and both could put the biscuit in the basket, with Nystrom tallying THE greatest goal in franchise history. 

... i believe he was out there with an offsides Gillies when a dagger was plunged into the Phlyer Phaithful. 

not bitter at all.  

R.I.P., #9 🏒

Great song. I haven't heard it for a long time. If someone out there hasn't heard it, I would suggest you play it.

I play it about once a month just to irritate the wife.  I always shout

So now I'm praying for the end of time
To hurry up and arrive
'Cause if I gotta spend another minute with you
I don't think that I can really survive

I know she’s laughing on the inside.

And who doesn’t love Phil Rizzuto?

... as a diehard Phlyer fan back in the day, who was heartbroken on that fateful Saturday afternoon in May of '80 at the Mausoleum, i echo your sentiments. 

Left Wing on one of the greatest lines in history, the aptly dubbed LILCO (named after the Long Island Lighting Co.), along with Trotts & Bossy. 

the more time goes by, the more i believe that team starts to get lost in the shuffle a bit, seeing as how the great Habs dynasty of the '70s preceeded them, then the Gretzky era Oilers dethroned them and dominated the balance of the '80s. 

Gillies was a load, tho ... him & Nystrom were the closest they ever had to legit "muscle", and both were also remarkable forecheckers - Al Arbour got every last inch outta that roster - and both could put the biscuit in the basket, with Nystrom tallying THE greatest goal in franchise history. 

... i believe he was out there with an offsides Gillies when a dagger was plunged into the Phlyer Phaithful. 

not bitter at all.  

R.I.P., #9 🏒
Those Islander teams were the last of the  old-school grinder dynasties.  Always thought they were under appreciated by history as they followed the Montreal and precluded the Edmonton dynasties.  

Not to shift away from the loss of Gillies, but John Tonelli was the one who fed Nystrom for the game winner - don’t think Gillies was on the rush there unless he was off camera. Gillies was definitely offsides on the second Islanders goal though. Good description here:

https://thehockeynews.com/.amp/news/a-coachs-challenge-might-have-changed-history-for-flyers-and-pat-quinn

Gillies was also one of the most feared fighters in his day, even if he wasn’t technically a goon because he was just as valuable on the ice. His bouts with Bruin Terry O’Reilly were epic - easily findable on YouTube.

not bitter at all.  

R.I.P., #9 🏒
1975! 1975!

It’s 8:55 AM and the FLYERS STILL SUCK!

(Lets go Pens!) 😁

Moonlight said:

The whole album is lights out.  Just one big ol sing-along.  Great road trip album...

my very first walk-on music was a Ventures tune. My Uncle Jimmy's wife Mary  (still around @ 96 - still lives alone because Omicron has shut down the assisted-living place her kids finally talked into moving to) had heard me Ma constantly use a certain word to describe me as a child so, when she heard a tune called Ram-Bunk-Shus on the radio, she went out and bought the 45 for my next visit (they lived as far away from us as one could and still be in MetroBoston). i made up a dance for it - which, to be honest, was somewhere between airguitar and whipping it out (there's home-movie footage of it is how i know) - and she played it every time i came over til i was a tween and just too cool anymore. Rest in Plucks -

Not to shift away from the loss of Gillies, but John Tonelli was the one who fed Nystrom for the game winner - don’t think Gillies was on the rush there unless he was off camera. Gillies was definitely offsides on the second Islanders goal though. Good description here:

https://thehockeynews.com/.amp/news/a-coachs-challenge-might-have-changed-history-for-flyers-and-pat-quinn

Gillies was also one of the most feared fighters in his day, even if he wasn’t technically a goon because he was just as valuable on the ice. His bouts with Bruin Terry O’Reilly were epic - easily findable on YouTube.
Gillies was offsides on another play in that game or that series (I forget which). We once went over this in another thread with a bunch of us. I made the same correction, only to be rebutted by my own research. Gillies was an offside culprit, too. 

RIP to Clark Gillies, who my father liked at the time and was a main attraction in his visit to play the Hartford Whalers one night. I was enthralled with Bossy and Trots. That was indeed a great hockey dynasty. Four titles, IIRC. Great teams and hall of fame players. 

An outstanding act before the British Invasion and at almost the beginning of rock and roll, really. About three years past the real date of the first mainstream rock n' roll. The Pacific Northwest gave birth to a lot of bands that were exceptional, and The Ventures were one of those. "Walk, Don't Run" and their other songs were pioneering and laid the foundation for a lot of other sounds coming out of the electric guitar that had not been heard until they did it. 

From Wiki: The band was among the first to employ and popularize fuzz and flanging guitar effects, concept albums, and twelve-string guitars in rock music. Their instrumental virtuosity, innovation, and unique sound influenced many musicians and bands, earning the group the moniker "The Band that Launched a Thousand Bands." Their recording of "Walk, Don't Run" was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame for its lasting impact, and in 2008 the group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Because that's the world we live in now. Covid this, covid that. Whatever gets clicks. Nobody wants to talk about the top-secret security video which clearly shows that he died at the hands of an axe-wielding (but otherwise sweet) transvestite.
:goodposting:

All that's left to answer is who hired Frankenfurter?  Pfizer?  Moderna?  The CDC?  The world needs answers!

One of my favorite music facts is that the female singer on "Paradise..." is Ellen Foley a.k.a Billie Young on Night Court for season two, after which she was succeeded by Markie Post as Christine Sullivan.
Woah...... I remember her in tootsie also now that I looked it up

This guy represented my neighborhood forever. Fought the good and bad fights straight along, but mostly had positioned himself as a major player at the State level. It was the least shocking, but still biggest news here in a long while.

Rip Sheldon Silver

Sheldon Silver, the Democratic powerhouse who ruled Albany until he was convicted on federal corruption charges in a stunning fall from grace, has died. He was 77. 

Silver died while serving out a six-and-a-half-year prison sentence — most recently at a federal medical center in Middlesex, Massachusetts — after he was convicted for accepting nearly $4 million in bribes, his former chief of staff Judy Rapfogel confirmed to The Post.

His cause of death wasn’t immediately clear but the longtime powerbroker had a history of chronic kidney disease and cancer. 

“Shelly did many wonderful things for the community and the state,” Rapfogel said by phone as she choked up. 

“I was very proud to be his chief of staff.”

Silver’s family didn’t immediately return a request for comment. 

Born in 1944 to Russian immigrants, the Manhattan native was Speaker of the New York State Assembly for 24 years until he was arrested on federal extortion, wire fraud and mail fraud charges in 2015 for running a series of corrupt kickback schemes while in office. 

Silver, once the most powerful man in Albany, was convicted on the charges and sentenced to 12 years in prison but used his influence and considerable means to stave off jail time for another five years. 

In 2017, his conviction was overturned after an appeals court found the jury instructions used in the trial were invalid and when he was found guilty again in 2018, he appealed a second time and remained free on bail while New York’s highest court reviewed the case. 

Panelists from the Second Circuit Court of Appeals eventually upheld his conviction on four of the charges after they unanimously affirmed Silver had illegally used his office to benefit two real estate developers in exchange for money. 

In the scheme, Silver steered the real estate developers, Glenwood Management and the Witkoff Group, to do tax business with a law firm that gave Silver hundreds of thousands of dollars.

In exchange, Silver supported legislation that benefited the real estate developers, including provisions to 2011 rent legislation that were specifically tailored to help Glenwood.

In July 2020, more than five years after he was originally arrested, Silver was sentenced to six and a half years, ending his years-long battle to avoid jail time by tying up his convictions in lengthy legal battles. 

“This was corruption pure and simple,” Judge Valerie Caproni told the disgraced politician during his sentencing. 

“The time, however, has now come for Mr. Silver to pay the piper.”

Ahead of his sentencing, Silver and his attorney petitioned Cabroni to let him complete his sentence at home, citing his advanced age and medical issues. 

“Your honor, I do not want to die in prison,” Silver wrote in a letter at the time. 

Caproni denied the request. 

In May 2021, after completing less than a year of his sentence, Silver was briefly allowed back home on furlough under the Department of Justice’s expanded powers to grant inmates release amid the coronavirus pandemic but by the end of the month, he was back in custody. 

At the time, mayoral hopeful Curtis Sliwa stopped by Silver’s house and rang his bell to make sure he was at home and to tell him “you belong back in jail.”

On Monday, the Guardian Angels founder said “Good riddance” when asked for comment on Silver’s death. 

“Silver was the Meyer Lansky of the Democratic Party,” Sliwa quipped, referencing the infamous Polish-born gangster known as the “Mob’s Accountant”. 

“Let us find all the money he stole. Let’s look under the mattresses.”

In 2021 Silver was temporarily allowed back home on furlough under the Department of Justice’s expanded powers to grant inmates release amid the pandemic.

Despite his many misdeeds, friends and colleagues remembered Silver for the good that he did while in office and his impact on state politics. 

“To me, Shelly was a great man,” said Brian Meara, a longtime buddy. 

“Shelly was dealt a cruel hand. He was left in prison to die when everyone knew he was going to die.”

Former State Sen. Majority Leader John Flanagan, who served with Silver in the Assembly for about 16 years, told The Post he’s sad for “him and his family.” 

“Shelly Silver was good to me personally and he treated me fairly. There’s no question in my mind he had a very significant influence on state government – he played a pivotal role,” Flanagan recalled. 

“He could be tenacious, he could be so quiet for such long periods of time – that was sort of his mantra and how he was described. He was like a sphinx. It was his way of doing business.” 

Tom Servo said:
I wanted the OG opening, not the reboot.  :thumbdown:
Neither of those are The Ventures.
There is some evidence that The Ventures themselves didn't even play on the original version of "Hawaii Five-0".

This session sheet from April 1968 clearly shows that a song titled "Hawaii 5-0" was recorded on behalf of The Ventures by a group of Los Angeles session musicians. That recording is believed to be the same one that was released later that year.

There is some evidence that The Ventures themselves didn't even play on the original version of "Hawaii Five-0".

This session sheet from April 1968 clearly shows that a song titled "Hawaii 5-0" was recorded on behalf of The Ventures by a group of Los Angeles session musicians. That recording is believed to be the same one that was released later that year.
It's not just "some evidence".  The Ventures' cover is not the same recording.  The TV show reboot tried to update the music to crap.  When they had to re-do the theme music, they used many of the original musicians.

A thousand times this.  We could have saved all that time and just had a coin flip.
Even if you don’t like the rule, how is the integrity of the outcome in question?  Both teams knew the rule coming in to the game, the coin toss seems to have not been in question and KC seems to legitimately have scored.  How is the integrity of the result in question?

Even if you don’t like the rule, how is the integrity of the outcome in question?  Both teams knew the rule coming in to the game, the coin toss seems to have not been in question and KC seems to legitimately have scored.  How is the integrity of the result in question?

I was referring to the WWE like finishes. My cousin has been saying that Vegas has had its hand in the outcomes for decades but I always thought he was nuts. Im starting to think I was the one who was naive. 

If you dare, there's an enormous thread in the Shark Pool going on about this.

There is another thread.  But this is basically having your Stanley Cup final decided by a shoot out, except that both teams get a try at it.  Or a World Cup match decided the same way.  I never stated nor implied that anyone cheated.  But the thing that won the game was a coin flip.  That's just cheating the players and the fans.  The college rules make it fair.  How hard is this?

Users who are viewing this thread