What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A few bottom-end LBs. (1 Viewer)

Pick

Footballguy
Obviously, this is a very deep league. I am looking for any input on the future of Chris Draft and/or DD Lewis. Draft didn't do much til the end of the year and I think that was because of injuries. Lewis is the starting SLB in Seattle.

IIRC, Lewis was the staring WLB for Seattle before he took over for Sharper at SLB. I suspect Sharper will get his SLB job back when he is healthy and Lewis will be forced to compete for playing time with Leroy Hill at WLB. Lewis manages to make it on to the injury report almost every week. So I am guessing Hill will be manning the WLB spot for the majority of the season.

IIRC, Lewis was the staring WLB for Seattle before he took over for Sharper at SLB. I suspect Sharper will get his SLB job back when he is healthy and Lewis will be forced to compete for playing time with Leroy Hill at WLB. Lewis manages to make it on to the injury report almost every week. So I am guessing Hill will be manning the WLB spot for the majority of the season.
I agree with Donnybrook. Lewis will have a difficult time unseating Hill from the WLB position in SEA. I'm assuming Lewis' best-case scenario will be either Sharper getting cut or Sharper re-injuring himself. Either way, Lewis will be the SLB and still probably not roster-worthy in any league.Draft will probably not be roster-worthy unless Morgan gets hurt. Draft is not big enough or athletic enough to play SLB on a full-time basis and either Witherspoon or Davis will be playing WLB.

You said your league is "very deep". Are any of the following available??

Blackstock (AZ) ~ Fell hard in the draft last year, but has an outside chance to start at WLB for the Cards this year.

McCoy (PHI) ~ Many think he was a major reach in the '05 draft (and last year's performance did nothing to dispell these chants), but still has very little competition for the WLB gig.

Burnett (DAL) ~ Next to Winslow, Burnett probably had the #2 unluckiest season last year with his injuries. With Nguyen most likely retiring, there is no way Burnett doesn't start in '06. The only question is...where??

D Thomas (MIN) ~ Lost his starting job last year, but he cannot be ignored this year since the Vikes will be a Cover-2 team (ie. the WLB will be gold). The new regime will probably want to clean shop and start over, but DT has some upside if he can catch a glimmer in their eyes.

Cooper (TB) ~ The Bucs are in cap problems and I'm assuming either Rice, Brooks or McFarland will be chopped. Even though the latter will probably get the boot, a Brooks cut would be mint for Cooper since he'd become the new WLB in the Bucs Cover-2.

Garnder (IND) ~ Thornton will probably be gone, especially with potential contracts to Wayne and Freeney (...and the outside chance Edge is franchised again). If Thornton is gone, there's a teenie-weanie chance Cato June could get moved to SLB and Gardner could become the new WLB. The chance of this happening is minute, especially with June's play last year, but June is a superior coverage LB and the Colts staff will probably refrain from having Gardner cover the team's opposing TE's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackstock (AZ)

McCoy (PHI)

Burnett (DAL)
All were drafted. FWIW, 16-team dynasty with 53-man rosters.
D Thomas (MIN) ~ Lost his starting job last year, but he cannot be ignored this year since the Vikes will be a Cover-2 team (ie. the WLB will be gold). The new regime will probably want to clean shop and start over, but DT has some upside if he can catch a glimmer in their eyes.
I have DT on my roster currently.
Cooper (TB)

Garnder (IND)
Both these guys are available.My other LBs are Adalius Thomas, Vrabel, Ruud, and Pollack.

Blackstock (AZ) ~ Fell hard in the draft last year, but has an outside chance to start at WLB for the Cards this year.

McCoy (PHI) ~ Many think he was a major reach in the '05 draft (and last year's performance did nothing to dispell these chants), but still has very little competition for the WLB gig.

Burnett (DAL) ~ Next to Winslow, Burnett probably had the #2 unluckiest season last year with his injuries. With Nguyen most likely retiring, there is no way Burnett doesn't start in '06. The only question is...where??

Cooper (TB) ~ The Bucs are in cap problems and I'm assuming either Rice, Brooks or McFarland will be chopped. Even though the latter will probably get the boot, a Brooks cut would be mint for Cooper since he'd become the new WLB in the Bucs Cover-2.

Garnder (IND) ~ Thornton will probably be gone, especially with potential contracts to Wayne and Freeney (...and the outside chance Edge is franchised again). If Thornton is gone, there's a teenie-weanie chance Cato June could get moved to SLB and Gardner could become the new WLB. The chance of this happening is minute, especially with June's play last year, but June is a superior coverage LB and the Colts staff will probably refrain from having Gardner cover the team's opposing TE's.
:goodposting: gardner and cooper are both guys i picked up right away when our rosters expanded on Jan 1. Im not sold on McCoy, but i picked him up after reading that philly wants to give him a shot this year despite his trouble picking up the jim johnson scheme. I am even more skeptical about DT, but he's another solid pickup for speculative value in the offseason.

Jordan Beck?
very good pickup. he's still stuck behind hartwell, williams, and brooking, but his play up until his injury made me think "future starter".also, watch out for his cal poly teammate and fellow buck buchanan award winner (sort of a defensive heisman in I-AA) Chris Gocong, who lit up the Shrine Game and looks like a terrific 3-4 OLB candidate to me out of this year's draft class.

My comments on the deep sleepers:

You mentioned Draft, I wouldn't dismiss him so quickly as suggested. They signed Morgan to a long-term contract and didn't sign witherspoon, who is now a free agent, I was thinking UFA, but not sure. If spoon leaves, Draft could move to WLB or an 05 pick, Seward, could move there. But Draft or Seward are only options if spoon leaves.

Washington drafted McCune last year, an older, productive college MLB. He was initially on the practice squad but made the roster mid-year. I'm just not sold on Lemar Marshall as MLB in Wash, and McCune is the primary backup.

Look for Cowart to be released and EJ Henderson moving to the middle with Dontarrious Thomas getting the WLB position.

I agree with comments on Lewis; competing with Hill, likely SLB.

Indianapolis traded for Calmus from Ten early in the season and Calmus promptly went IR. Brackett is the MLB and did decent, but I'd be aware that Calmus has had injuries holding him back and if he comes back healthy, he could win the MLB spot.

I don't know if CIN's Landon Johnson is still out there, but there was a rumor about month ago that Pollack's development could push Brian Simmons out the door with Landon moving over to WLB.

Hunter Hillenmeyer is a CHI backup LB that gets on the field. He is a RFA this year and will likely return to CHI, but if you are planning ahead, he'll likely move on to a starting position somewhere.

I assume Lehman is already on a roster. Otherwise end of discussion, pick him up.

Trev Faulk seemed to win the MLB spot in StL at the end of the year. Never heard of him before that.

I agree with Donnybrook. Lewis will have a difficult time unseating Hill from the WLB position in SEA. I'm assuming Lewis' best-case scenario will be either Sharper getting cut or Sharper re-injuring himself. Either way, Lewis will be the SLB and still probably not roster-worthy in any league.
Well...Sharper was just cut. At the very least, Lewis may have a chance at starting on the strong-side this year.

Users who are viewing this thread