What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Abraham Traded to Falcons (1 Viewer)

Klecko HOF

Footballguy
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5433076

Trade in place to get Abraham to Falcons

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com

Posted: 9 minutes ago

Disgruntled defensive end John Abraham may finally have been traded to the team he was hoping, albeit not in the trade route that was expected.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Falcons, Broncos and Jets swung a three-way trade Tuesday in order to make the deal happen that would get Abraham to the Falcons. The deal is also still be reviewed by the league office and all parties are waiting for approval.

If the trade is approved, then the Falcons have traded their first-round pick (No. 15 overall) to the Broncos, which traded their first-rounder (No. 29) and two additional picks to Atlanta. The Falcons then send the 29th pick of the draft to the Jets for Abraham. The Jets thus receive a draft pick two slots higher in the first round than the Seahawks were able to offer.

Abraham also told FOXSports.com several days ago that he had agreed to the financial parameters of a deal with the Falcons and insisted that was the primary team he wanted to play for.

Abraham also talked glowingly about the opportunity to play on a defense with the likes of fellow Pro Bowl defensive end Patrick Kerney as well as Pro Bowler players Keith Booking, DeAngelo Hall and Rod Coleman. Abraham also balked at the idea of moving to the Northwest to play in Seattle.

All three teams must get league approval before the trade becomes validated

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the big question...

Who are the Broncos targeting by moving into the middle of the 1st??
I know that they also wanted Abraham, and were badly exposed Vs. Indy, by not being able to get to Manning.The problem was that they're cap situation hindered a deal with Abraham, otherwsie, the picks they offered were adequate. I would imagine that they're looking for a DE. Tamba Hali, Kamerion Wimbley, Mathias Kiwanuka, etc are all options.

I know that they also wanted Abraham, and were badly exposed Vs. Indy, by not being able to get to Manning.The problem was that they're cap situation hindered a deal with Abraham, otherwsie, the picks they offered were adequate. I would imagine that they're looking for a DE. Tamba Hali, Kamerion Wimbley, Mathias Kiwanuka, etc are all options.
I'm not so sure any of those guys are worth a mid-1st at the moment. Hali was a consensus Top-15 pick PRIOR to his Pro-Day. The guy laid multiple turds with a 4.9 clocking and embarrassing sub-30" vertical. These are solid numbers for a 300lb guard...not a smallish DE hoping to be a lottery selection.I think RB will be the soup of the day the final Sat of April.

It'll be a RB you donkeys! Moroney or Williams or Lendale White....My money is on Lendale White. Shanahan is hoping he falls!

RB of course.
Have the Broncos ever taken a RB in the first? I'm thinking QB.
Nope, Shanahan hasn't taken an RB that high.BTW, latest on DEN radio says the Broncos also traded a 3rd & a 4th to make their end of the deal.

Rumor is also that Shanahan is targeting a pass rushing DE with the #15 pick. Don't forget that DEN also has the #22 pick from WAS.

RB of course.
:confused: What QB do you see being available at 15...and why would Denver be interested?

Denver isnt moving up with any one player in mind, they are moving up because the caliber of player available at 15 is vastly different than whats available at 29.

Saftey(Allen, Huff), DE(Hall, Kiwi, Wimbley), RB(Williams, White), WR(Jackson,Holmes) could all be guys they would like to have a shot at that wouldnt be available at 29.

RB of course.
:confused: What QB do you see being available at 15...and why would Denver be interested?

Denver isnt moving up with any one player in mind, they are moving up because the caliber of player available at 15 is vastly different than whats available at 29.

Saftey(Allen, Huff), DE(Hall, Kiwi, Wimbley), RB(Williams, White), WR(Jackson,Holmes) could all be guys they would like to have a shot at that wouldnt be available at 29.
:goodposting: My bet is on Lendale White if he is still available, which i think he will be.

Jets finally have a GM! Nice job holding out to get the #29 - even better than the Seattle pick.

I must say this was a very creative trade - not many 3 team deals in the NFL - kudos to all involved - every team did well.

Another thing is the Jets getting the 29th instead of the 31st put them in front of indy if they want to snag a running back.

Technically this wasn't a three-way deal. It's the Falcons making two trades.

They trade to Denver: 15th pick

They get from Denver: 29th pick, 3rd round pick, 4th round pick in 2007

They trade to NY: 29th pick

They get from NY: Abraham

For my money, the second deal for the Falcons is pretty good, but the first one isn't very good. Denver made out pretty well.

I'm not so sure any of those guys are worth a mid-1st at the moment. Hali was a consensus Top-15 pick PRIOR to his Pro-Day. The guy laid multiple turds with a 4.9 clocking and embarrassing sub-30" vertical. These are solid numbers for a 300lb guard...not a smallish DE hoping to be a lottery selection.I think RB will be the soup of the day the final Sat of April.
I'm really not sure Dog. I was just throwing out some names, but the point is, the Broncos could very well address any of their needs at #15.The trade was good for all aprties involved, but Denver got the best end of it. They received more value, per the draft chart.

They don't have to be targeting anything. They move from 29 to 15 at the cost of a 3rd and 4th rounder. I'd make that deal in a second!

They don't have to be targeting anything. They move from 29 to 15 at the cost of a 3rd and 4th rounder. I'd make that deal in a second!
:goodposting: Gotta question why the JEts didn't just kick in an extra 3rd and 4th next year to get the 15th if thats the case. Tangini must want every pick for restock or ammo! Still can't complain with the #29 and $8M in cap room. We could see Runyan as a Jet by tomorrow.

Well, if you're thinking RB, think Lendale White. Grew up in CO, and has made no secret that he'd love to be in blue & orange - and the DEN coaching staff has been pretty poor at keeping their love of White under wraps.

It's Chad Jackson unless Cutler is there.

Well, if you're thinking RB, think Lendale White. Grew up in CO, and has made no secret that he'd love to be in blue & orange - and the DEN coaching staff has been pretty poor at keeping their love of White under wraps.
It makes a lot of sense to me. White would be an absolute beast in that blocking scheme. Then again, I can also see guys like Jerome Harrison (too much like Tatum?) and Maurice Drew thriving in that offense. Shanahan's history doesn't suggest RB here, but White would be a real asset for the Broncos. He'd definitely improve their SB chances, IMO.

RB of course.
The Broncos have taken 6 RBs in the first. Denver's 1st round history.Do you mean has Shanahan ever taken a RB in the first? If so, no.

He's never taken a QB in the first, either. (Or a DT, S, TE, C or G for that matter)
I think you're ignoring a guy named Elway who the Broncos gave up their 1st round pick to get. They also didn't draft a QB after Elway retired because they thought they had drafted his replacement Brian Griese in the 3rd round in 1998. Then they \ signed former 1st round pick Jake Plummer in 2003.Also they took Tommy Maddox in the 1st round in 1992.

And just for the sake of a little hyperbole, I really think White could get 1,600 rushing yards and 15+ TDs as a rookie on that team. His bruising style would work great in the high altitude with Denver's zone blocking o-line.

Those of you thinking that it's a RB, think about this. Shanahan has shown over the years that he can find and develop RB's drafted late, but his success with QB's in the draft has been poor to terrible - Mauck, Van Pelt, Jackson, Griese, Lewis, Maddox, and Moore.

Broncos | Targeting QB with No. 15 overall pick

Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:35:07 -0800

ESPNews reports the Denver Broncos are expected to target a quarterback after acquiring the No. 15 overall pick from the Atlanta Falcons in a three-team deal.

And just for the sake of a little hyperbole, I really think White could get 1,600 rushing yards and 15+ TDs as a rookie on that team. His bruising style would work great in the high altitude with Denver's zone blocking o-line.
Fantasy owner's wet dream....but I don't see it happening in reality. Broncos won't go RB in the 1st.

ESPNews reports the Denver Broncos are expected to target a quarterback after acquiring the No. 15 overall pick from the Atlanta Falcons in a three-team deal.
Thank you.

Do they offer up their 2nd plus the 15th to jump into 8-10 range to grab Cutler? Or both 1's for a shot at Leinart?

Fantasy owner's wet dream....but I don't see it happening in reality. Broncos won't go RB in the 1st.
I agree. Didn't something similar happen a few years back when the Broncos drafted DJ Williams? I think people speculated that they were after Steven Jackson, but that wasn't the case. I think White is a better fit in Denver than Jackson would've been, but I agree that they're probably targeting a different position with this move.

So that means they're not taking a QB. Takes out one position.

I agree that QB seems unlikely. Why would a playoff team with a core of solid veterans take a gamble on a mid-first round QB? It worked for the Steelers, but that was an exception to the rule and Plummer is probably a much better QB than Maddox ever was (meaning there's less incentive for Denver to try a rookie).

:goodposting: Gotta question why the JEts didn't just kick in an extra 3rd and 4th next year to get the 15th if thats the case. Tangini must want every pick for restock or ammo! Still can't complain with the #29 and $8M in cap room. We could see Runyan as a Jet by tomorrow.
That's a good point. If the Jets could have gotten the 15th pick instead of the 29th just by offering their 4th and next year's 4th (which they probably could have done), I don't know why they wouldn't have.

So that means they're not taking a QB. Takes out one position.
Exactly!!Plus which QB is going to be there at 15 that warrants the 15th pick??

They lost out in the Jamal sweepstakes and they let Anderson go. They go RB.

I agree that QB seems unlikely. Why would a playoff team with a core of solid veterans take a gamble on a mid-first round QB? It worked for the Steelers, but that was an exception to the rule and Plummer is probably a much better QB than Maddox ever was (meaning there's less incentive for Denver to try a rookie).
They think Vince Young is slipping. Shanahan loves QB's that can run, it was a major reason he pursued Jake Plummer in free agency.

Watch Denver trade down when on the clock.

15 for 25(ish) and a 07 1st isn't entirely impossible. (What did Washington give for Campbell?)

EDIT - Broncos-Redskins

Redskins get: Denver's first-round pick (No. 25), which is used to select QB Jason Campbell.

Broncos get: Washington's third-round pick (No. 76) they used to select CB Karl Paymah, and first- and fourth-round picks in next year's draft.

ok, the trade wasn't that great, still I could see them trading down if the right deal comes along.

They think Vince Young is slipping. Shanahan loves QB's that can run, it was a major reason he pursued Jake Plummer in free agency.
I guess you could call me a Young hater because he's not even in my top 10 FF rookie rankings, but he makes the least sense of all three QBs. He seems the least ready to run an NFL offense and the most risky. Shanahan has a knack for ballsy moves, but I don't see how drafting VY would do anything to improve his squad's chances for the next few years.White makes a little more sense. I think New England would draft him if he fell to #21. Denver leapfrogged the Pats and a couple of other teams who would probably consider White (Dallas and Minnesota). Of the remaining teams in front of Denver, only Philadelphia seems like a real threat to take White. The Jets and 49ers are slight possibilities, but I think those teams have too many holes to use an early 1st on a RB.

Jets finally have a GM!  Nice job holding out to get the #29 - even better than the Seattle pick. 

I must say this was a very creative trade - not many 3 team deals in the NFL - kudos to all involved - every team did well.
I must say Denver's fron office has been very dialed in on what other teams needs / wants have been the last couple of years and have really swung some great deals.e.g.s I can think of off the top of my head

1. Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis, plus Denver got an additional high draft pick. I liked Denver big time in that trade.

2. trading Washington their 1st rounder (25th?) so they could take Jason Campbell. In return, Denver got Washington's first this year plus like 3rd and fourth round picks. Had Washington not had such a decent season last year, to everyone's obvious surprise, that could have been a Top 10 or Top 15 overall selection. Which is probably what they were banking on. Still, the value of the trade still adds up on their side.

3. Reuben Droughns to Cleveland for their D Line. Denver wasn't going to pay / be able to pay Droughns and while everyone was laughing at the Broncos, they had tremendous depth along the D Line and have resigned Gerard Warren who had a pretty big year for them.

4. Trading Delthea Oneal a pick or something and their first rounder to move up in the first round to be in line for one of a set number of guys the Broncos front office deemed "elite prospects"..... that pick parlayed into DJ Williams who will become one of the nastiest LBers around in time.... actually, I think Cincy made out the better in that deal but Shanny hated Oneal at that point and wanted him off his team, he and his large cap number.....

The Broncos are first in line in front of everybody in the league in being at other teams disposal for helping them make bad trades.... seriously..... they have some brains in the FO spending serious hours scouting and theorizing other team's rosters. dilemmas, and desires and are really helping themselves along the way.....

with the exception of the Clarett pick, a big :thumbup: to them

Think they'd trade #15 and #22 for a shot at Mario Williams in the Top 5?

RB of course.

:goodposting: My bet is on Lendale White if he is still available, which i think he will be.
I think the Ron Dayne era is over before it started....

Technically this wasn't a three-way deal. It's the Falcons making two trades.

They trade to Denver: 15th pick

They get from Denver: 29th pick, 3rd round pick, 4th round pick in 2007

They trade to NY: 29th pick

They get from NY: Abraham

For my money, the second deal for the Falcons is pretty good, but the first one isn't very good. Denver made out pretty well.
that's about fair market value for Abraham. Abraham will have a nice year in Atlanta with DeAngelo Hall providing a few coverage sacks. Plus he'll be on a fast track 8 times a year. If he can stay healthy he'll easily get 13 sacks. As far as the Jets, way to go FO. they bettered Seattle's offer and shipped off a malcontent in the process. nice job.

Jets take Mario Williams at 1.4 and use 1.29 and 2.3 to build the OL.

Even with Dayne and T.Bell there?

that's about fair market value for Abraham. Abraham will have a nice year in Atlanta with DeAngelo Hall providing a few coverage sacks. Plus he'll be on a fast track 8 times a year. If he can stay healthy he'll easily get 13 sacks.
He'll also have Coleman and Kerney on the line. 2 more Pro Bowlers.

Users who are viewing this thread