What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adding weight to a dog (1 Viewer)

mkripke

Footballguy
I have a 1 YO pit mix and she seems to be underweight, her vet also agrees. They suggested a higher carbohydrate food, do you have any suggestions on one? I also read that sweet potatoes help, so I am giving her 1/2 potato 4 days a week, are there any other suggestions?

thank you

Bacon?  Peanut butter? Extra regular dog food that they are currently eating?

Pitts aren't very liked by some in the FFA.  You might get some negative replies to this thread.

Switched to feeding my dogs raw a couple of years ago and it amazingly fixed almost all of their health issues. The dogs that were underweight, put on weight. The dogs that were overweight, lost weight. The dog that had stomach issues that the vets couldn't fix, went away. The dog that had horrible skin issues amazingly has none now. Spent years and tons of money finding the "best" food and it was simply a raw diet. 

I have a 1 YO pit mix and she seems to be underweight, her vet also agrees. They suggested a higher carbohydrate food, do you have any suggestions on one? I also read that sweet potatoes help, so I am giving her 1/2 potato 4 days a week, are there any other suggestions?

thank you
Is the dog a good or picky eater? You would rather have the dog a little lighter than overweight.  If the dog is eating good and not bugging you for food just slowly increase the amount fed.

I have 2 yellow labs and am pretty sure if I put down 40 lbs of ground beef they would eat it all at one sitting or die trying.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

thank you
She's underweight so you put her on the potato diet?

Bacon?  Peanut butter? Extra regular dog food that they are currently eating?

Pitts aren't very liked by some in the FFA.  You might get some negative replies to this thread.
This thread is about adding weight to a dog, totally unrelated to the topic you're referring to. No need to derail.

Is the dog a good or picky eater? You would rather have the dog a little lighter than overweight.  If the dog is eating good and not bugging you for food just slowly increase the amount fed.

I have 2 yellow labs and am pretty sure if I put down 40 lbs of ground beef they would eat it all at one sitting or die trying.
Labs will eat anything.  I had a black lab that would literally eat a piece of gravel if you held it in your hand and made her sit for it.

Labs will eat anything.  I had a black lab that would literally eat a piece of gravel if you held it in your hand and made her sit for it.
:lol:   yup, our old girl will scarf down just about anything. 

our kids joke that the only thing she won't eat is celery

we've got a pit mix and she stays hovering around "just enough to be not considered underweight". 

she eats the vet recommended amount twice a day plus we kick in dog friendly fruits... and she eats all the sticks she can find in the yard :mellow:  is it possibly just a breed thing? 

what variety of dog food are you feeding it? 

WE feed her 3 cups of Blue Buffalo grain free every day and she loves it, not a picky eater at all

no, i add a 1/2 a sweet potato to her meal

she appears healthy and has a ton of energy, but she just looks thin

will try adding peanut butter

WE feed her 3 cups of Blue Buffalo grain free every day and she loves it, not a picky eater at all

no, i add a 1/2 a sweet potato to her meal

she appears healthy and has a ton of energy, but she just looks thin

will try adding peanut butter
Unless there's some real medical issue, I'd just keep doing what you've been doing. 

Users who are viewing this thread