What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Advice on becoming gluten free? (1 Viewer)

Most junk food has gluten in it, so going gluten-free can be a decent way to avoid junk food even if gluten itself isn't the problem.

It defeats the purpose, though, if you start eating gluten-free junk food. The idea is to eat an apple instead of cake, not to eat gluten-free "cake" instead of cake. (If you've got celiac disease and really want cake, then "cake" might fit the bill. Otherwise, I don't see the point.)
Yeah, quitting junk food is one of my main reasons for going sorta gluten free.

Most junk food has gluten in it, so going gluten-free can be a decent way to avoid junk food even if gluten itself isn't the problem.

It defeats the purpose, though, if you start eating gluten-free junk food. The idea is to eat an apple instead of cake, not to eat gluten-free "cake" instead of cake. (If you've got celiac disease and really want cake, then "cake" might fit the bill. Otherwise, I don't see the point.)
There is a lot of junk food on the salty side that is gluten free. Most tortilla chips like Tostitos are gluten free, and things like Cheetos, Doritos, Fritos, Lays Potato Chips, Kettle Chips, Ruffles, and Munchies are gluten free as well. Most popcorn is gluten free. On the sweet side there are several gluten free candy bars, and chewy candy. Most soda drinks are gluten free too. You can still eat good junk food being a celiac or gluten sensitive, but if you have a sweet tooth for baked goods like cake it becomes more challenging to find things that taste good.

Just because something is gluten free does not mean it is healthy. Eliminating a single food product is not a free pass to eat crap.

Man has evolved over millions of years. Grain was introduced as part of the diet less than 10K years ago. It makes sense to me, that perhaps our bodies have not evolved to tolerate most grains. While some, such as rice and quinoa appear to be relatively innocuous, if you look at the health and skeletal remains of our ancestors prior to the introduction of grains as a mainstay in our diets, you will see that we became shorter, less healthy and more prone to disease.

I can go on and on and present all the referenced scientific studies you want that support the above. All you ahve to do is ask with an open mind.

Gluten-free <> minimal grain consumption <>Paleo diet <> Atkins >< whatever

Its convenient to lump all these things together because it makes it easier to dismiss and make straw man arguements. But a coldly analytical approach to the literature leads me to feel strongly that four things are the primary drivers of our current health epidemic: consumption of grains the body has not evolved to properly digest; the advent and widespread usage of polyunsaturated fats in the form of seed and vegetable oil and the concurrent demonization of saturated fats; the marked increase in fructose consumption, predominantly hfcs and refined sugar; the absence/abuse of circadian rhythm in the modern lifestyle.

My starting point for my current thinking was the early writings of Weston Price, then the Paleo theories presented by Coradin, etc., and finally by Jaminet's Perfect Health Diet. Full disclosure: after having my health and life drastically transformed for the better through Jaminet's work, I sought him out and became partners with him in a health retreat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want this marked down for the record here. People that "feel better" on gluten free (that are not celiac) are responding to a reduction in fiber in their diet. The demonization of sat. fat came concurrent with a push to high fiber foods. The combo of those IMO led to people generally having poor digestive health far above the clinical cause of celiac/leaky gut.

I will bump this in 2017 when this is finally vindicated by science.

You can really get sucked into unhealthy eating habits when Gluten Free. I gained way more weight than I should have after I started a GF diet. It got to a point where you eat what you can eat that is GF, instead of eating what you should.

You can really get sucked into unhealthy eating habits when Gluten Free. I gained way more weight than I should have after I started a GF diet. It got to a point where you eat what you can eat that is GF, instead of eating what you should.
My mom lost weight when she started eating Gluten Free. She wasn't overweight to begin with, but she lost some weight. She was diagnosed with IBS about 4 years ago, but another doctor recommended she cut out gluten to see if perhaps that was the culprit. She tested her for celiac, and that was negative, but she said that doesn't mean you can't be very gluten sensitive. Anyway, she cut out gluten, and it completely changed her digestive system for the better. She does not have IBS. Cutting out things like bread and pasta generally helps in weight loss. You can still eat gluten free pasta like Quinoa, and that is good for you. There is also rice noodles, etc. My mom will make toast out of Udi's gluten free bread now and then, and eat their gluten free whole grain hamburger buns occassionally. I like Udi's gluten free granola cereal, especially the cranberry and original ones. There is so much you can eat healthy that is gluten free. Vegetables, fruits, legumes, meats, poultry, fish, eggs, cheeses, yogurt, salads, etc.

This is a danger with almost any elimination diet. We've all known people who are eating low fat who then plow through Snack Wells. Or Atkins adherents who eat tons of Atkins approved pseudo pasta and pancake stuff.

If you have celiac, I imagine you can eat gluten free pasta and cookies and crackers and still feel much better. Celiac is very unpleasant. But I think that for most people who are trying to avoid gluten to just feel a bit better are probably better off avoiding most of those products or only using them when not having a sandwich or pizza is about to drive them nuts. Because even if they're not as bad for you, they're not nearly as good for you as say a slice of liver and sweet potatoes are.

Wheat Is A Cause of Many Diseases, I: Leaky Gut
Posted by Paul Jaminet on October 26, 2010
I realized last week that I often call wheat the most toxic food, but I haven’t really explained why on the blog. The book has a detailed explanation, which focuses on toxicity effects and on autoimmune processes attacking the gut and thyroid. Here I would like to add to the book’s argument by showing how wheat causes other autoimmune diseases.

There are about 50 diseases which are thought to have an autoimmune basis. Autoimmune diseases are caused by three processes:

Leaky gut and inflammation. A leaky gut lets bacteria and food toxins enter the body. In the body, these precipitate an immune response which creates inflammation and a chance for antibodies to form.
“Molecular mimicry.” A bacterial protein or food toxin resembles a human protein sufficiently closely that an antibody to the foreign protein may also recognize human proteins, potentially precipitating attacks on self tissue.
Adjuvant activity. Vaccines are produced by bonding an antigen (the target of the hoped-for antibody) to an adjuvant (a molecule that greatly increases the likelihood antibodies will be made – a sort of catalyst). If a “molecular mimic” can bind to an adjuvant, then autoimmune disease becomes much more likely.
Wheat causes many autoimmune diseases because it promotes all three aspects. I’ll look at each aspect in a separate post this week.

Leaky Gut

Leaky gut is the first step toward autoimmune disease. As a recent review states:

Susceptibility to at least 50 diseases, including celiac disease (CD) and type 1 diabetes (T1D), has been associated with specific HLA class I or class II alleles. A common denominator of these diseases is the presence of several preexisting conditions that lead to an autoimmune process…. In all cases, increased permeability precedes disease and causes an abnormality in antigen delivery that triggers immune events, eventually leading to a multiorgan process and autoimmunity. [1]

Gluten is a complex of proteins found in wheat, rye, oats (PAJ: see comments), barley, and other grains. One part of gluten is a type of protein called prolamins, which are chiefly responsible for gut damage:

It is the gliadin fraction of wheat gluten and similar alcohol-soluble proteins in other grains (collectively known as prolamins) that are associated with the development of intestinal damage. A common feature of the prolamins of wheat, rye, and barley is a high content of glutamine (>30%) and proline (>15%), whereas the nontoxic prolamins of rice and corn have lower glutamine and proline content. [1]

I’m quoting this because it speaks to the differences among grains. Rice and corn do not contain gluten. Corn contains other dangerous toxins, but is not a primary cause of autoimmune disease. Rice is the only grain we consider safe to eat.

From Cholera to the Cause of Leaky Gut

The mechanisms by which wheat causes leaky gut have been intensively studied by Dr. Alessio Fasano’s group. In 1995 Dr. Fasano and colleagues discovered that a toxin released by Vibrio cholerae, the bacterium that causes cholera http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholera, causes tight junctions to open for a time. [2] This makes the small intestine leaky.

Dr. Fasano and colleagues suspected that the bacterial protein’s action must mimic some natural human protein which controls intestinal permeability. In 2000, they discovered this human protein and named it “zonulin.” [3]

Wheat and Crohn’s Disease

They subsequently showed that gliadin stimulates zonulin release. Gliadin binds to a receptor called CXCR3, and activation of this receptor triggers zonulin release and increased intestinal permeability.

Interestingly, zonulin release was much higher and longer-lasting in Crohn’s disease patients than in healthy patients. [1] Restriction of gluten restores intestinal integrity in Crohn’s disease patients.

So Crohn’s disease patients should absolutely not eat wheat!

Leaky Gut and Type I Diabetes

A leaky small intestine is a feature of many autoimmune diseases, but Crohn’s disease and Type I diabetes are notable for highly permeable small intestines. Patients with both diseases have high serum levels of zonulin. [1]

In a rat model of Type I diabetes, the BioBreeding diabetes prone or “BBDP” line of rats often develops a leaky gut at age 50 to 75 days when eating a (toxic) diet of rat chow. Zonulin levels increase up to 35-fold at this time, but were reduced if the rats were fed a gluten-free diet. Rats with the highest zonulin levels developed Type I diabetes develops 15 to 25 days later. If a compound that blocks the action of zonulin is given to the rats, Type I diabetes incidence is reduced 70%. [1, 4]

This shows how crucial a leaky gut is to onset of autoimmune diseases like Type I diabetes, and also how quickly diseases can develop once the gut is compromised. The longer the gut is leaky, the greater the likelihood that some autoimmune disease will develop.

In humans, the relationships between these diseases are much the same as in rats. Crohn’s disease and Type I diabetes are co-morbid: the prevalence of Crohn’s among Type I diabetics is 6- to 9-fold higher than in the general population. Meanwhile, newborn children exposed to wheat at 3 months of age or earlier, when the gut is immature, are 4- to 5-fold more likely to develop Type I diabetes. [4]

Conclusion

Leaky gut is a prerequisite for development of autoimmune disease. Wheat seems to create a transient, mild leaky gut in nearly everyone, but in Crohn’s disease the gut becomes chronically and severely leaky in response to wheat consumption.

In rats, this leaky gut can lead to development of autoimmune diseases like Type I diabetes in as little as a few weeks.

If you eat wheat, it’s probably only a matter of time before you develop some disease or other. All of the autoimmune diseases, from rheumatoid arthritis to Hashimoto’s to lupus, are made more likely by wheat consumption. Why not switch to rice or other “safe starches” and save yourself some trouble?

Related Posts

References

[1] Visser J et al. Tight junctions, intestinal permeability, and autoimmunity: celiac disease and type 1 diabetes paradigms. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009 May;1165:195-205. http://pmid.us/19538307.

[2] Fasano A et al. Zonula occludens toxin modulates tight junctions through protein kinase C-dependent actin reorganization, in vitro. J Clin Invest. 1995 Aug;96(2):710-20. http://pmid.us/7635964.

[3] Wang W et al. Human zonulin, a potential modulator of intestinal tight junctions. J Cell Sci. 2000 Dec;113 Pt 24:4435-40. http://pmid.us/11082037.

[4] Watts T et al. Role of the intestinal tight junction modulator zonulin in the pathogenesis of type I diabetes in BB diabetic-pron

I just want this marked down for the record here. People that "feel better" on gluten free (that are not celiac) are responding to a reduction in fiber in their diet. The demonization of sat. fat came concurrent with a push to high fiber foods. The combo of those IMO led to people generally having poor digestive health far above the clinical cause of celiac/leaky gut.

I completely agree with you PUFA and fiber arguments, but I do think you are underestimating the problems and effects of grains.

cosjobs said:
culdeus said:

I completely agree with you PUFA and fiber arguments, but I do think you are underestimating the problems and effects of grains.
Give me a few million and I'll construct a study to test my hypothesis.

i have a theory that people are allergic to the omni present GMO strains.

wheat is the human staple since time began. what could have possibly changed in recent times? :shrug:

wheat is the human staple since time began. what could have possibly changed in recent times? :shrug:
That is a really, really, really stupid theory.
Its weird that people are so arguementative about these possibilities. The fact is that we have altered the strains of a lot of the grains we eat and there has been no long term studies on these implications...does it have any effect? I sure as heck don't know but I don't think calling his theory really stupid is the right response either...it certainly could be.

Wheat's been a staple in some populations since around the time of the agricultural revolution (which was long after time began, even if we're talking only about human history).

But you're absolutely right that not all wheat is the same. The modern semi-dwarf variety of wheat has existed only since sometime after World War II, and it may indeed be worse in a lot of ways than traditional einkorn wheat that was a staple before that.

Your theory might be wrong, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

The fiber-is-bad-for-you theory, on the other hand, at least in its simplified form, I would dismiss.

You can tell when stuff isn't bad for you when populations who eat it by the truckload are quite healthy.

That's how we (should) know that fat isn't bad (see the Masai, or the Inuit), it's how we (should) know that carbs aren't bad (see pretty much every healthy culture outside of the Masai and the Inuit), and it's how we should know that fiber isn't bad (see pretty much every pre-industrial society aside from the Masai and the Inuit).

People correctly point out that our hunter-gatherer ancestors were generally healthier than their agrarian descendants. Does anyone think that our hunter-gatherer ancestors didn't eat tons of fiber-containing fruits and vegetables?

whats your theory?
That your theory is stupid
You are a real pleasant addition to the human race...congrats on making this board and life in general just a better place.

The fiber-is-bad-for-you theory, on the other hand, at least in its simplified form, I would dismiss.

You can tell when stuff isn't bad for you when populations who eat it by the truckload are quite healthy.

That's how we (should) know that fat isn't bad (see the Masai, or the Inuit), it's how we (should) know that carbs aren't bad (see pretty much every healthy culture outside of the Masai and the Inuit), and it's how we should know that fiber isn't bad (see pretty much every pre-industrial society aside from the Masai and the Inuit).

People correctly point out that our hunter-gatherer ancestors were generally healthier than their agrarian descendants. Does anyone think that our hunter-gatherer ancestors didn't eat tons of fiber-containing fruits and vegetables?
There's a big difference in grain fiber and fruit/veg fiber. That's my central theory, and I don't have the data to back it up at all, It just would explain above the placebo level why so many people "feel better" after getting off gluten.

culdeus said:

It won't matter because all the gluten eaters in this thread will be dead by then.

I think the "fiber is bad for you" thing that I agree with is the excess fiber many people get outside of their meals, like psilium husk or what have you, or even some whole grains. Fiber is great, but I think it should be moist and in a natural form to prevent irritating the stomach and bowels.To me, that is just kind of common sense, if you envision the path of the fiber and what it does. Add to that and the current prevalence of leaky or irritated guts and I think its definitely more harmful than helpful.

I enjoy wheat bread. Especially with peanut butter on top.

Too much milk gives me the ####s and bubble guts.

whats your theory?
You are a real pleasant addition to the human race...congrats on making this board and life in general just a better place.
Sounds like somebody needs to cut down on the gluten.

whats your theory?
Sounds like somebody needs to cut down on the gluten.
link

Good luck.

I've been GF for a year after I found out I had Celiac Disease. I've had it for atleast 10 years but I had no idea something was wrong.

It's fairly expensive to be GF. When eating out I pretty much choose Mexican or a Steakhouse. Salads most other places.
My son received a diagnosis of Celiac Disease today as the result of endoscopy and biopsies last week. Can you help point me and him to some decent resources? Just starting to learn about it.

I was standing in line at the liquor store when a woman stopped at the counter to ask the guy working if they had any "non-alcoholic, gluten-free beer."

He responded, "You mean water?"

She left in quite the huff.

After being gluten free for the last 2 years and feeling better I decided to try gluten again, intentionally. The first week went fine, now after about 10 days I am fatigued and have those familiar awful stomach issues. I never got tested the first time to see for sure if I had Celiac but I just called in an appointment.

Also, having been gluten free for so long, I have developed carpal tunnel syndrome due to a lack of nutritional support. Started taking Vitamin B6 and that has almost cleared up.

Users who are viewing this thread