What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFC Games will both be blowouts (1 Viewer)

DoctorDetroit

Chocolate Thunder
Not a fishing thread and I am not a fan of any of the four teams. Consider:Indy beat the Steelers 26-7 and it wasn't even that close earlier this year in Indy. Denver beat the Pats 28-20 earlier this year at Invesco. What changes? Absolutely nothing. Steelers lack the offensive talent to keep up with the very well rested Colts and the Broncos will just roll the Patriots without regard to their amazing run. Broncos have a very good defense to go with a nearly unstoppable rushing attack and although this game should be close, it won't be. The Steelers and Colts is much easier to call and the only way the Steelers can stay in it is with turnovers or hope that Peyton Manning goes down on the first play.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFC Games will both be blowouts

Denver beat the Pats 28-20 earlier this year at Invesco.

What changes? Absolutely nothing.
Is it really that hard for so many of you to think before you start a new thread?

:fishing: I am looking forward to 2 great games.The Steelers are a different team than the one that was never in the game against the Colts. Rothliesberger is healthier for one thing.The Pats dug themselves a big hole against Denver the first time around. Brady had a GREAT 2nd half and minus a drop in the middle of the field late in the game by David Givens, the Pats would have come all the way back. This should be a very good game. Denver has a great running game and nobody has run on the Pats in about 8 weeks. Strength against Strength.

What changes?  Absolutely nothing. 
Is it really that hard for so many of you to think before you start a new thread?
Why? This board is opinion based on knowledge, background and statistics. That's really all. If you want to object to a thread based on it's facts then fine, prove your argument. If you want to object to a thread based on opinion fine, let's hear yours. The forum already has an ample amount of administrators so your input is unnecessary. Based on what I've seen this year the Broncos and Colts are superior to their opponents. That's what I'm saying. If you don't like it, that's your opinion and we live to post another day with or without your input.

I see both games as close...
I actually hope you are correct. I think the Broncos/Patriots game could be one of the best games ever but I really think that Denver will expose the Pats weaknesses like no other team can (I think they matchup better with the Colts). The Colts/Steelers I'm not so sure. The Colts have played all season for this and they aren't going to let a team that has trouble moving the ball against a good defense derail that train.

As much as I would love to see the Broncos knock out the Pats, it won't be easy. The Broncos defense has not put pressure on the opposing QBs all year, so Brady will put up big numbers and keep them right in it.

As much as I would love to see the Broncos knock out the Pats, it won't be easy. The Broncos defense has not put pressure on the opposing QBs all year, so Brady will put up big numbers and keep them right in it.
29th against the pass and only 28 sacks backs your point. But I think one of the big factors to Denver being so bad vs the pass is the fact that they are usually well ahead in games. But then again....I did watch Buffalo tear them up. I think I posted this thread to have someone talk me down from how high I am on Denver. I think they'll beat the Colts also. Considering I really, really, really dislike the Broncos this is hard to grasp so I'm running with it.

Why? This board is opinion based on knowledge, background and statistics. That's really all.
Except when it comes to the Favre haters. :lmao:

:fishing:

The Steelers are a different team than the one that was never in the game against the Colts. Rothliesberger is healthier for one thing.
Never in the game?5 minutes into the 2nd quarter, Jeff Reed missed a field goal that could've tied the game at 10.

And it was only 13-7 with 30 seconds to go in the 1st half, but Ben's INT resulted in another Indy field goal.

The onside kick to start the 2nd half - the same call Cowher was praised for making in SB XXX - marked the beginning of the end of the game, because the Colts turned the short field into a 23-7 lead.

Denver won 3 games at home this year by 3 points or less (SD, WAS, BAL). I don't see anyone blowing anyone out in either game.

Not a fishing thread and I am not a fan of any of the four teams. Consider:

Indy beat the Steelers 26-7 and it wasn't even that close earlier this year in Indy.

What changes? Absolutely nothing. Steelers lack the offensive talent to keep up with the very well rested Colts and the Broncos will just roll the Patriots without regard to their amazing run. Broncos have a very good defense to go with a nearly unstoppable rushing attack and although this game should be close, it won't be.

The Steelers and Colts is much easier to call and the only way the Steelers can stay in it is with turnovers or hope that Peyton Manning goes down on the first play.
If you don't think that NE and Pit(but especially NE) have improved a ton since then, you are crazy. And Indy has only regressed since then.

The last PIT/INDY game was closer than the score, and this is a much better Steeler team. I don't know if they can win in Indy, but it should be a good game.

Denver won 3 games at home this year by 3 points or less (SD, WAS, BAL). I don't see anyone blowing anyone out in either game.
Good points here. I watched the Ravens game and I think the Broncos were out of it looking ahead. The Skins game was earlier in the season and having looked at the stats, they were in the game for sure. Chargers are a really tough team and they play the Broncos well anyway.

I expect the Steelers to give Indy all they can handle. I'm not buying the Indy run D (28th in YPC allowed) stopping the power football of the Steelers. This is largely the same team that went 15-1 last year, and they're healthier than they've been in awhile. The Chargers showed what an aggressive 3-4 can do, and I expect the game to be very close.

While I do not expect the Denver/NE game to be a blowout, the Broncos average margin of victory at home this season is 14 points.

The Steelers are a different team than the one that was never in the game against the Colts.  Rothliesberger is healthier for one thing.
Never in the game?5 minutes into the 2nd quarter, Jeff Reed missed a field goal that could've tied the game at 10.

And it was only 13-7 with 30 seconds to go in the 1st half, but Ben's INT resulted in another Indy field goal.

The onside kick to start the 2nd half - the same call Cowher was praised for making in SB XXX - marked the beginning of the end of the game, because the Colts turned the short field into a 23-7 lead.
I watched the game and thought Pittsburgh would be the team to stop the Colts run. But it really wasn't that close although you do offer a good analysis of what happened. It just threw me that Pittsburgh's offense was so inept vs a very overrated Colts D. They looked scared which isn't like the Steelers we are use to. I think it's a reach, but I'm hoping for the Steelers to win for a number of reasons.

The Steelers are a different team than the one that was never in the game against the Colts. Rothliesberger is healthier for one thing.

I watched the game and thought Pittsburgh would be the team to stop the Colts run. But it really wasn't that close although you do offer a good analysis of what happened. It just threw me that Pittsburgh's offense was so inept vs a very overrated Colts D. They looked scared which isn't like the Steelers we are use to. I think it's a reach, but I'm hoping for the Steelers to win for a number of reasons.
It was Ben's first game back and he was rusty. He didn't look very rusty today.

A Veiled sour grapes post... :yes: Nobody agrees with your assessment bud and you're prolly dying to say "Who Dey", right?

Not a fishing thread and I am not a fan of any of the four teams. Consider:

Indy beat the Steelers 26-7 and it wasn't even that close earlier this year in Indy.

What changes? Absolutely nothing. Steelers lack the offensive talent to keep up with the very well rested Colts and the Broncos will just roll the Patriots without regard to their amazing run. Broncos have a very good defense to go with a nearly unstoppable rushing attack and although this game should be close, it won't be.

The Steelers and Colts is much easier to call and the only way the Steelers can stay in it is with turnovers or hope that Peyton Manning goes down on the first play.
People only look at what happened in the regular season to try to gain an advantage for their team. Everyone knows that the playoffs are much different. Take Tiki Barber. Three 200+ yd rushing games this year and he only manages 41 yds today.The Pats and Broncos are two good teams with the edge to the Broncos because of homefield advantage. They'll probably be favored by 5 pts or so. I think it'll come down to the QB's. Their defenses will be enormous with neither being able to run at will. I don't think Plummer has in it him to lead in a big game like Brady does. It'll be close hard fought game. I'd take the Pats with or without the points.

:lmao: Good edit on the title.
I say book it as a gambler for sure. But for a politically correct forum, I try and stay a bit soft. I'm not fishing in this thread just discussing. I hate having to defend that but that's life. I'm trying not to be grouped into the TIKI BARBER's Barber category for those not familiar with my posts. Good attention to detail however. We need your kind in the TV world.

:confused: It's always amazing to me how many forums (not just FBGs but all types of forums) have people that are ready to post and chastise others for cluttering up the forum with a post that may address a topic that has been covered in another post. With this being a discussion forum, it is especially unwarranted. People just like to discuss stuff and sometimes don't find the previous post. Posts can be deleted. It's all just a digital file and doesn't take up too much room. Relax. As for the true topic of this post - which is timely - I think Indy will win w/o pumping in extra noise although I'm pulling for the Steelers. Tough match up for the Steelers. And I'm hoping Denver wins, but I also think the Pats are a tough match up. Both teams find a way to win more often than not and this isn't the same Pats team that Denver beat up earlier in the season. With the Pats using a 3-4, could we see more Ron Dayne? I don't remember the exact post (and no, I'm not going to look it up), but someone mentioned Ron Dayne might be Shanahan's secret weapon against the 3-4. Looking back on the season, I agree. Are you listening, Shanny? :popcorn:

A Veiled sour grapes post... :yes:

Nobody agrees with your assessment bud and you're prolly dying to say "Who Dey", right?
Check my posts clown to see my football background. All you have to do is click the name key that says "Lombaowski." Good luck with that.

Denver's low number of sacks has always been kind of interesting to me. Yes, the stats don't lie, but Denver's D (particularly from their 3rd game on) just seems to be one of those that is always swarming and pressuring the QB. They rarely get there in time, but they always seem to be right there hurrying the QB or knocking him down after the pass. I also think NE is a ton better now than when Denver played them initially, but I'm hoping the home field advantage and Denver's ability to win most of the close games at home (thank god the Giants are out) will give them the win.I'm also very excited to see Pitt playing Indy...hopefully Denver won't have to end its playoffs with yet another loss there.

Nobody agrees with your assessment bud and you're prolly dying to say "Who Dey", right?
Check my posts clown to see my football background. All you have to do is click the name key that says "Lombaowski." Good luck with that.
OK Clown, but the fact remains nobody agrees with your assessment.

:confused: It's always amazing to me how many forums (not just FBGs but all types of forums) have people that are ready to post and chastise others for cluttering up the forum with a post that may address a topic that has been covered in another post. With this being a discussion forum, it is especially unwarranted. People just like to discuss stuff and sometimes don't find the previous post. Posts can be deleted. It's all just a digital file and doesn't take up too much room. Relax. As for the true topic of this post - which is timely - I think Indy will win w/o pumping in extra noise although I'm pulling for the Steelers. Tough match up for the Steelers. And I'm hoping Denver wins, but I also think the Pats are a tough match up. Both teams find a way to win more often than not and this isn't the same Pats team that Denver beat up earlier in the season. With the Pats using a 3-4, could we see more Ron Dayne? I don't remember the exact post (and no, I'm not going to look it up), but someone mentioned Ron Dayne might be Shanahan's secret weapon against the 3-4. Looking back on the season, I agree. Are you listening, Shanny? :popcorn:
Thanks. Why do we always have to think people are fishing? Nipsey had 100 posts asking the same thing and he held is ground. I'm an NFC guy and outside of gambling, have no ties to any of the teams. I actually dislike the Colts and Broncos more than the Pats and Steelers. Let's get on the topic here as I'm still waiting to hear from fans of the teams to tell me why, or why not my thought is crazy.

Do you do everything in life that agrees with people? I could care less about that. I want concrete discussions about why I'm right or wrong. All you can add is that no one agrees. Why will the Steelers have a chance to keep it close, or beat the Colts?

Thanks. Why do we always have to think people are fishing? Nipsey had 100 posts asking the same thing and he held is ground. I'm an NFC guy and outside of gambling, have no ties to any of the teams. I actually dislike the Colts and Broncos more than the Pats and Steelers. Let's get on the topic here as I'm still waiting to hear from fans of the teams to tell me why, or why not my thought is crazy.
The reason people thought you were fishing is the wording you originally used. Paraphrasing you said the games will be blowouts like they were in the regular season. You then mentioned the Broncos won by 8. Most would not classify that as a blowout - hence the scepticism on your view considering the first post in your thread.

Do you do everything in life that agrees with people? I could care less about that. I want concrete discussions about why I'm right or wrong. All you can add is that no one agrees. Why will the Steelers have a chance to keep it close, or beat the Colts?
OK I'll spell it out to you...Your original post smacks of sour grapes and for someone who claims to be such a strong football person, a little closed-minded wouldn't you say?

The Steelers have one of the best defenses in the league, no? Do you realize this tidbit? Typically if your defense is good, you're in every game. Could the Colts bomb the Steelers? Sure. Is it a foregone conclusion like your original post says, I say no.

As for the Pats, I will take them in the playoffs any day any time any place..have you happend to watch them play in the postseason in the last few years?

The fact that the Broncos never seem to get to the QB could be a very underrated weakness for them. Brady is trmendous at moving in the pocket and avoiding the sack, and those extra 1-3 seconds every pass play on average could be a huge difference in this game.And Jake Plummer is the Broncos QB. Sorry Broncos fans, I like you team, but Jake Plummer. JAKE PLUMMER!

OK I'll spell it out to you...Your original post smacks of sour grapes and for someone who claims to be such a strong football person, a little closed-minded wouldn't you say?

The Steelers have one of the best defenses in the league, no? Do you realize this tidbit? Typically if your defense is good, you're in every game. Could the Colts bomb the Steelers? Sure. Is it a foregone conclusion like your original post says, I say no.

As for the Pats, I will take them in the playoffs any day any time any place..have you happend to watch them play in the postseason in the last few years?
Steelers were 4th in total defense, third in scoring defense and a friend of mine plays linebacker; yeah, they are really good. I think that defense has a big task ahead of it trying to stop the Colts but the Steelers are always game for...ah...the game. If, and it's a big IF, the Steelers can come out and control the tempo in force turnovers I will be wrong. But that is unlikely to happen given the Colts no-huddle offense which will limit the Steelers substitutions, and the fact that the defense will have to control the game. Are they good enough for that? Maybe. I certainly think that if anyone can stop the Colts, Pittsburgh might be the AFC's best bet. Good luck to the Steelers.

The reason people thought you were fishing is the wording you originally used. Paraphrasing you said the games will be blowouts like they were in the regular season. You then mentioned the Broncos won by 8. Most would not classify that as a blowout - hence the scepticism on your view considering the first post in your thread.
Noted.

The fact that the Broncos never seem to get to the QB could be a very underrated weakness for them. Brady is trmendous at moving in the pocket and avoiding the sack, and those extra 1-3 seconds every pass play on average could be a huge difference in this game.

And Jake Plummer is the Broncos QB. Sorry Broncos fans, I like you team, but Jake Plummer. JAKE PLUMMER!
Yup, Plummer most likely still has it in him to play like the Plummer of old, but you can't knock what he's done this season. Not too many qb's on the list of those I would rather have leading my team THIS season.

The fact that the Broncos never seem to get to the QB could be a very underrated weakness for them. Brady is trmendous at moving in the pocket and avoiding the sack, and those extra 1-3 seconds every pass play on average could be a huge difference in this game.

And Jake Plummer is the Broncos QB. Sorry Broncos fans, I like you team, but Jake Plummer. JAKE PLUMMER!
Yup, Plummer most likely still has it in him to play like the Plummer of old, but you can't knock what he's done this season. Not too many qb's on the list of those I would rather have leading my team THIS season.
The Pats have Brady. The Broncos have Plummer. I think if we start a poll, Brady might win.

The Pats have Brady. The Broncos have Plummer. I think if we start a poll, Brady might win.
And Brady would be on my short list of those above Plummer too. He's already proven, time and time and time and time again. But I'm still impressed with what Plummer has accomplished this season, and for a change, I'm not writing off the team this year before their first playoff game.

29th against the pass and only 28 sacks backs your point. But I think one of the big factors to Denver being so bad vs the pass is the fact that they are usually well ahead in games. But then again....I did watch Buffalo tear them up. I think I posted this thread to have someone talk me down from how high I am on Denver. I think they'll beat the Colts also. Considering I really, really, really dislike the Broncos this is hard to grasp so I'm running with it.
Ignore that 29th against the pass. It means pretty much nothing at all, since Denver faced FAR more pass attempts than any other team in the entire league. And it wasn't even close.Denver faced 33 more pass attempts (an entire extra game's worth) than the team that faced the second most (NYG, for those interested). They faced a full 99 more pass attempts than the NFL median.

As for the sacks... they aren't getting sacks, true, but they've actually been getting pretty decent pressure, which is a big reason why they have almost as many INTs this season as they did in the past 3 years combined.

Denver's pass defense is actually pretty solid, it just gets tested a ton.

As for the true topic of this post - which is timely - I think Indy will win w/o pumping in extra noise although I'm pulling for the Steelers. Tough match up for the Steelers. And I'm hoping Denver wins, but I also think the Pats are a tough match up. Both teams find a way to win more often than not and this isn't the same Pats team that Denver beat up earlier in the season. With the Pats using a 3-4, could we see more Ron Dayne? I don't remember the exact post (and no, I'm not going to look it up), but someone mentioned Ron Dayne might be Shanahan's secret weapon against the 3-4. Looking back on the season, I agree. Are you listening, Shanny? :popcorn:
That was me that mentioned that Dayne was Denver's secret weapon against the 3-4, but I was joking. I don't see anything in his game that makes him better able to succeed against 3-4 fronts than either Bell or Anderson, I was just noting that it was a statistical oddity that all of his best games came against 3-4 defenses, and that no other Denver RB had a decent game against the 3-4.

Jake Plummer- the guy with the lowest INT percentage in the entire NFL.Denver has the fewest giveaways in the entire NFL. New England has the second fewest takeaways. Jake Plummer taking care of the football is going to be one of the biggest reasons why Denver is favored to win- since turnover margin is so huge in the playoffs.

Seriously, can we stop with all the Jake Plummer cracks? How about we just look at what he's done since he came to Denver? Since he came to Denver, the only QBs who have been consistantly better are Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Everyone gets on Plummer's case for 20 INTs last year, but Trent Green and Jake Delhomme both had nearly as many? Why is no one making jokes about them?

Jake Plummer- the guy with the lowest INT percentage in the entire NFL.Denver has the fewest giveaways in the entire NFL. New England has the second fewest takeaways. Jake Plummer taking care of the football is going to be one of the biggest reasons why Denver is favored to win- since turnover margin is so huge in the playoffs.
Plummer has 7 career INT in 141 post-season passing attempts = 1 every 20.1 passing attempts. Post season record: 1-3.Brady has 3 career INT in 331 post-season attempts = 1 every 110.3 passing attempts. Post season record: 10-0.I have nothing against Jake Plummer. He has done very well in Denver. But IMO N.E. has a decided advantage at QB.All the stats won't make any difference anyway as they settle things on the field.

Jake Plummer- the guy with the lowest INT percentage in the entire NFL.

Denver has the fewest giveaways in the entire NFL. New England has the second fewest takeaways. Jake Plummer taking care of the football is going to be one of the biggest reasons why Denver is favored to win- since turnover margin is so huge in the playoffs.
Plummer has 7 career INT in 141 post-season passing attempts = 1 every 20.1 passing attempts. Post season record: 1-3.Brady has 3 career INT in 331 post-season attempts = 1 every 110.3 passing attempts. Post season record: 10-0.

I have nothing against Jake Plummer. He has done very well in Denver. But IMO N.E. has a decided advantage at QB.

All the stats won't make any difference anyway as they settle things on the field.
Unfair comparison. What's the average score at the time that Jake Plummer attempted passes? What's the average score at the time that Brady attempted passes? Plummer's teams have gotten behind big, forcing him to force throws and try to play catchup. Brady's teams have had great defenses, letting him play controlled and not force throws.Also, Plummer's INT% this season is drastically below his career average.

I'm not arguing that New England has an advantage at QB. I'm just arguing that it's not night and day. I'd call Tom Brady the 3rd best QB in the NFL this season, and I'd call Jake Plummer the 6th best. In fact, if you follow Football Outsiders, that's exactly where their stats rank them.

Jake Plummer- the guy with the lowest INT percentage in the entire NFL.

Denver has the fewest giveaways in the entire NFL. New England has the second fewest takeaways. Jake Plummer taking care of the football is going to be one of the biggest reasons why Denver is favored to win- since turnover margin is so huge in the playoffs.
Plummer has 7 career INT in 141 post-season passing attempts = 1 every 20.1 passing attempts. Post season record: 1-3.Brady has 3 career INT in 331 post-season attempts = 1 every 110.3 passing attempts. Post season record: 10-0.

I have nothing against Jake Plummer. He has done very well in Denver. But IMO N.E. has a decided advantage at QB.

All the stats won't make any difference anyway as they settle things on the field.
Unfair comparison. What's the average score at the time that Jake Plummer attempted passes? What's the average score at the time that Brady attempted passes? Plummer's teams have gotten behind big, forcing him to force throws and try to play catchup. Brady's teams have had great defenses, letting him play controlled and not force throws.Also, Plummer's INT% this season is drastically below his career average.

I'm not arguing that New England has an advantage at QB. I'm just arguing that it's not night and day. I'd call Tom Brady the 3rd best QB in the NFL this season, and I'd call Jake Plummer the 6th best. In fact, if you follow Football Outsiders, that's exactly where their stats rank them.
You forgot that Brady > God.

I, being a Colts fan, have to disagree with the original post.The Colts did win convincingly against Pitt the first time around. And I can't wait to hear how loud it is when we "pipe" in the noise this weekend! But, with that said, I think this game is less than 10 a point win for the Colts.I'm thinking Colts 24- Steelers 17In the other game, I like Denver to end the run for the Pats. However, I think it will be close. I look for Denver to win 27-24.There you have it!Go Colts!

I'd call Tom Brady the 3rd best QB in the NFL this season, and I'd call Jake Plummer the 6th best. In fact, if you follow Football Outsiders, that's exactly where their stats rank them.
The thing is, it's not the regular season anymore. And I doubt the football experts would say Brady is the #3 post-season QB of all time and Plummer the #6.Maybe Plummer comes up big next week and Brady tanks for a change. Either way, this game will likely be decided by other players and facets of the game than just the QBs.

You forgot that Brady > God.
Oh dang, how'd I forget that? His urine cured my lung cancer.
Thank you. I'm glad to see you've turned the tool factor down. :thumbup:
I'm sorry if I come off as a tool, I'm simply arguing for the sake of expanding my knowledge base.
I was just messing with you. Let's get back to praising the Patriots please.NE is only 20 games away from tying the NFL record for consecutive wins (held by Brady, of course). Now normally I'd say it's too early to start focusing on that, but with Brady+Belichick+Vinatieri+Bruschi, is it EVER too early?

NE > Den

NE > Ind

NE > Sea

That puts them on pace to go 16-0 next year (show the Colts how it's done), tying the record with their first playoff win and when they win the AFCC to go to the SB, they'll also set a new record.

Users who are viewing this thread