What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Al Michaels vs. Chris Berman (1 Viewer)

Daywalker

Footballguy
Perhaps this is common knowledge. Have a feeling it is.

Michaels kind of took a shot in a recent interview with B. Simmons how the "back, back, back" call was some Yankee broadcaster's signature line which Berman basically took.

On Sunday Morning Countdown, Ditka made a comment to Berman about shaking hands with a rival coach likening it to Berman shaking Al Michaels' hand.

Any other tidbits out there?

Michaels will go down as one of the finest sports broadcasters. Berman will go down as the "schticky" guy who thought his #### didnt stink on ESPN

Michaels will go down as one of the finest sports broadcasters. Berman will go down as the "schticky" guy who thought his #### didnt stink on ESPN
Yeah, you're right. But Al's voice annoys the crap out of me...especially the way he pronounces "Moore". I can just hear it now..."Drew Brees back to pass, over the middle it's LANCE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE for 23 yards."

:goodposting: Michaels does a very fine job of calling a game. Berman is annoying.
Meh ..Michaels owes his entire career to Herb Brooks and the "Miracle On Ice" ..if not for that watershed event/call, he'd still be hosting the Women's Wrist Wrestling Chapionship from Dubuque ..As far as Berman, yeah ..the schtick is tired and tedious, but, consider that he epitomizes the 'everyman' who landed his dream gig, and cashed that lottery ticket BIG TIME. I mean, ferchrissakes, he's a frumpy/dumpy slob, with a "face for radio", and a gruff delivery ..and yet, he is the highest profile personality, at the world's unquestioned #1 sports outlet. He is as improbable a success story in the TV industry as we've ever seen I'd much rather pound beers and shoot the chit with Berman ..Michaels is a freakin stiff.

Never understood what's so great about Al Michaels. He doesn't say much that's interesting. Is he a "calming presence" in the booth or something? If I'm taking a nap that sounds like an asset. I find him very dull.

At least Berman sounds like a fan of professional football. Al Michaels seems like a fan of Al Michaels, and the network paid him to appear at football games.

Anyone who finds Al Michaels boring has never heard him on Howard Stern. REALLY funny guy, just a little more straight-laced while broadcasting.

AL Michaels in the unquestioned best sports broadcaster of our generation and it isn't even really close. Costas would get mention for just baseball but Miachaels is the gold standard in sports braodcasting more generally.

Red Barber did the "back back back" when he was the Brooklyn Dodgers announcer. I always thought that Berman was paying tribute to Barber when he used it on Sportscenter. The nickname schtick that Berman uses I'm pretty sure that was his own deal though. Berman's schtick can be a little much and is best heard in small doses which makes him ideal for the half hour Sportscenter (It used to be just a half hour) and when he's doing the three minute highlights but not as palatable when he's actually called on to do Baseball or Football play by play. Michaels is the connsumate play by play pro who can do a number of different sports very well.

Red Barber did the "back back back" when he was the Brooklyn Dodgers announcer. I always thought that Berman was paying tribute to Barber when he used it on Sportscenter. The nickname schtick that Berman uses I'm pretty sure that was his own deal though. Berman's schtick can be a little much and is best heard in small doses which makes him ideal for the half hour Sportscenter (It used to be just a half hour) and when he's doing the three minute highlights but not as palatable when he's actually called on to do Baseball or Football play by play. Michaels is the connsumate play by play pro who can do a number of different sports very well.
This

Some of you with a lot of hilarious name-calling for people you have never met. Just remember, there are very likely people out there who say the same about you.

The Captain Janks phony phone call during the OJ Simpson police chase was epic. It was Al Michaels who broke in and told Dan Rather he got pranked when he heard the Bababooey reference.

'Dought Man said:
:goodposting: I can't believe Berman still thinks his act is relevant.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'Ghost Rider said:
'otb_lifer said:
'the UFFRM said:
Class and professsionalism vs. sloppy bluster.
Ask Boomer Esiason about Michael's "class and professionalism" ... Boomer has let it be known that Al was a MAJOR dee-bag, and a complete tool during their stint together.
Sounds like Boomer himself. Seriously, Esiason might be an even bigger tool than Berman, which is no easy task.
Does that make it a double boomer bag of douches?
I think there is a rule that in order to be called "Boomer", one pretty much has to be a #####.

'Area51Inhabitant said:
And even that is disputed. It was years ago and I can't remember who it was or where I found it on the net, but I remember running across a piece on a guy who claimed that he was doing the nickname schtick for some college team he was broadcasting for and that Berman stole the idea from him. But it doesn't really matter who came up with it first as it was Berman who recognized the value and made it his trademark on a national network.

Last edited by a moderator:
'sharptongued1 said:
'Smack Tripper said:
'otb_lifer said:
'the UFFRM said:
Ask Boomer Esiason about Michael's "class and professionalism" ... Boomer has let it be known that Al was a MAJOR dee-bag, and a complete tool during their stint together.
That said, I'd imagine boomer is titanic d-bag
You're with me, leather.
No I mean the Norman boomer. He's a vanilla gorrilla, who's nowhere near as funny, engaging or amusing as he apparently thinks he is. He's an attention whore that runs to any camera or mic that will have him:CBS pregameWestwood one Monday night broadcastWfan mornings Inside the NFL(does he still do this?)And booted embarrsingly off MNF because he sucked. I have never heard a single person remark that they have enjoyed any of his media contributions or looked forward to hearing his thoughts on a given matter. Michaels might not be flashy but I'll take a pro like him over Joe bucks over it, too good to be there, attitude. He's also the best baseball-football, the two big American sports, announcer ever.

Both are Type A personalities. I would be more shocked if they actually liked one another.

I agree with a previous poster;

--Need an English lesson? Call Al.

--Beers and brats? Call Berman.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to like somebody to work (harmoniously) with them.

'otb_lifer said:
'Exit 1 said:
'Dought Man said:
:goodposting: Michaels does a very fine job of calling a game. Berman is annoying.
Meh ..Michaels owes his entire career to Herb Brooks and the "Miracle On Ice" ..if not for that watershed event/call, he'd still be hosting the Women's Wrist Wrestling Chapionship from Dubuque ..As far as Berman, yeah ..the schtick is tired and tedious, but, consider that he epitomizes the 'everyman' who landed his dream gig, and cashed that lottery ticket BIG TIME. I mean, ferchrissakes, he's a frumpy/dumpy slob, with a "face for radio", and a gruff delivery ..and yet, he is the highest profile personality, at the world's unquestioned #1 sports outlet. He is as improbable a success story in the TV industry as we've ever seen I'd much rather pound beers and shoot the chit with Berman ..Michaels is a freakin stiff.
'Neil Beaufort Zod said:
Never understood what's so great about Al Michaels. He doesn't say much that's interesting. Is he a "calming presence" in the booth or something? If I'm taking a nap that sounds like an asset. I find him very dull.At least Berman sounds like a fan of professional football. Al Michaels seems like a fan of Al Michaels, and the network paid him to appear at football games.
:goodposting: Great posts :thumbup: Let Al and Joe Buck fight between them over who is the best :lmao:

'Apple Jack said:
Some of you with a lot of hilarious name-calling for people you have never met. Just remember, there are very likely people out there who say the same about you.
Not very likely. Definitely.

Because of Berman, I now know that Applebee's still has the 2 for $20 promo still going on. Thanks, Boom! :thumbup:

'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
'Daywalker said:
Michaels kind of took a shot in a recent interview with B. Simmons how the "back, back, back" call was some Yankee broadcaster's signature line which Berman basically took.
Isn't Berman openly trying to mimic him as kind of a tribute?
Red Barber made the phrase "back, back, back" famous. Linky - see #4. He called games for the Yankees so I'm sure that's where Berman picked that up - it's an homage."He could go all the way" similarly is an homage to Howard Cosell who made THAT call famous on Monday Night Football.

I don't think that Berman intended to "take" these as his own, as Michael's claims, I think it's more that he's been around so dang long that they've become associated with him and he's kept using them in highlights.

Neither of these guys are feel good stories, but that really does seem like sour grapes from Michaels.

-QG

'Go DC Yourself said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it goes back to Michaels foisting the Limbaugh debacle on ESPN.
Didn't realize Michaels had a role in that. Not surprised, mind you. I don't think I can even tell you what Berman's politics are which is to his credit as it's a football broadcast.-QG

'Go DC Yourself said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it goes back to Michaels foisting the Limbaugh debacle on ESPN.
Didn't realize Michaels had a role in that. Not surprised, mind you. I don't think I can even tell you what Berman's politics are which is to his credit as it's a football broadcast.-QG
me either but we all know Michaels is a devout conservative republican

Personally I'd like to punch both of these guys in the face, and kick Brent Musberger in the nuts for good measure.

'otb_lifer said:
'the UFFRM said:
Yeah, Esiason hates Michaels. I'd bet Michaels wasn't shy about pointing out how much Esiason sucked on MNF. Say what you want about Michaels, but I think he made Madden good again. The Sumeral-Madden combo was awful to listen to. Suddenly when he was paired with Michaels he was ok again.

Users who are viewing this thread