What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AL MVP race (1 Viewer)

elguapo07

Footballguy
Mookie, JD, Ramirez, Lindor or Trout.  According to WAR JD doesn't have much of a chance.  Has to be Betts right now.

Rank the candidates as of today

Betts/Ramirez///Trout/JD/Lindor

Trout

Betts

Ramirez

Martinez

Lindor
So you take the guy with a comparable WAR on a .500 team over two guys on a 105 win team and two other on a division winning team. You have to think for Trout to win his WAR would have to be significantly better than everyone else, no?

So you take the guy with a comparable WAR on a .500 team over two guys on a 105 win team and two other on a division winning team. You have to think for Trout to win his WAR would have to be significantly better than everyone else, no?
I don't care what his team is doing, one player has no control over that.  The two sets of teammates cancel each other out with votes.

Trout.

I don't care what his team is doing, one player has no control over that.  The two sets of teammates cancel each other out with votes.

Trout.
I also generally do not care what the players team is doing. However, I find it a reasonable tie breaker should you have a couple players lumped together closely.

As of August 1st betting odds had Trout as a slight favorite, has probably changed some due to injury 

AL MVP Top 3 Contenders (August 1, 2018)

PlayerBovada Odds

Mike Trout (Angels)-150

Mookie Betts (Red Sox)+230

JD Martinez (Red Sox)+330

No idea why Lindor / Ramirez aren’t up there too.

i have a pre-Season bet on Mookie so I’m biased towards him winning

maizie said:

Trout.
So it's a best player award then. I say Betts wins it 

Betts leads in OPS. wRC+, and WAR. 

Based on that he’d be 1, Ramirez 2, Trout 3. They are clearly ahead on Lindor and JD. 

In NL Carpenter, Baez, and Bregman. 

According to WAR JD doesn't have much of a chance. 
JD could potentially win the triple crown, would be an interesting scenario to see how the voting for him would play out if he won that but finished 4th/5th in WAR. 

Voters have shown even if Trout is #1, he may not get the same consideration if (when) the Angels miss the post season. 

If Lindor/Ramirez and Martinez/Betts split the vote too much, there a chance Matt Chapman jumps up in the voting. He has the narrative with the A's run, he doesn't really have anyone to split votes with, WAR likes him a lot and he has an incredible highlight real. I don't think he'll won but I think he'll finish fairly high in the final voting. 

Epic Problem said:
I just woke up from a nap and Im not up to speed on what’s gone down today. Did they move the Astros back to the NL on their off day?
Meant Arenado although I’ll never get used to the Astros in the AL. 

Northern Voice said:
JD could potentially win the triple crown, would be an interesting scenario to see how the voting for him would play out if he won that but finished 4th/5th in WAR. 
He needs to gain 20 points in batting average on Betts. If that happens, either Betts goes into a tailspin or JD catches fire. Either way it probably means that JD is no longer 4th or 5th in WAR

He needs to gain 20 points in batting average on Betts. If that happens, either Betts goes into a tailspin or JD catches fire. Either way it probably means that JD is no longer 4th or 5th in WAR
:no:

20 points of batting average is probably one less a hit a week by Betts and one more by JD. Maybe less. 

yeah, I don't see Trout having a chance.  He's having a great year, sure, but in the vein of LBJ, he does every year and the Angels are just a 500 team.

Betts is having an even better year, and his team has the best record in baseball.  Looks like a no-brainer here.

Is there anything Trout is actually doing better than Mookie this year?
Offensive WAR

OBP

Slugging

OPS

HR

Walks

Adjusted OPS+

Runs Created

Adj. Batting Runs

Adj. Batting Wins

Times on Base

Offensive Win %

IBB

SB%

AB per HR

Base-Out Runs Added (RE24)

Situ. Wins Added (WPA/LI)

Base-Out Wins Added (REW)

Do we have an awards thread?

AL MVP- Betts

AL CY- Snell

AL ROY- Andujar

AL MGR- Melvin

NL MVP- Baez

NL CY- DeGrom

NL ROY- Acuna

NL MGR- Snitker

Do we have an awards thread?

AL MVP- Betts

AL CY- Snell

AL ROY- Andujar

AL MGR- Melvin

NL MVP- Baez

NL CY- DeGrom

NL ROY- Acuna

NL MGR- Snitker
ALROY should absolutely be Otani. Scherzer as NL CY and Sale in AL. Baez should be NLMVP, he does stuff no one else can do. 

ALROY should absolutely be Otani. Scherzer as NL CY and Sale in AL. Baez should be NLMVP, he does stuff no one else can do. 
Otani is amazing but he's only played 95 games. Andjuar has 68 extra base hits. Yeah hes a bad defensive player but Otani is a DH so that's a wash. Hard to see him losing the award.

shadyridr said:
Otani is amazing but he's only played 95 games. Andjuar has 68 extra base hits. Yeah hes a bad defensive player but Otani is a DH so that's a wash. Hard to see him losing the award.
Jon Heyman thinks Otani should win it so that alone should tell you it’s the wrong choice 

shadyridr said:
Didn’t Otani also pitch? 

Dan Lambskin said:
As long as Betts wins AL MVP and DeGrom wins NL CY I don’t care about the rest
I kinda hope DeGrom loses his last two decisions, an 8-11 Cy Young winner.  Beautiful.

Javy is good and all but sweet baby jeebus Yelich is carrying the Brewers to possibly take over the Cubs. Guy might win the triple crown

strykerpks said:
Javy is good and all but sweet baby jeebus Yelich is carrying the Brewers to possibly take over the Cubs. Guy might win the triple crown
Going to win the Batting Title and 2 RBI's away from the Triple Crown!

10 games. He was dominant. Is that enough to push him past Andujar? I don't think so.
The doubles are great but his fielding at 3B was worse than any season since 2011 Chris Johnson. That along with Otani’s pitching, Otani’s extra base power despite limited games, and the fact he doesn’t play his home games in a clown car should be considered. 

Users who are viewing this thread