What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alabama/Auburn Discussion (1 Viewer)

T with T

Footballguy
What do you fellow sharks think about the decision to kick a 57 yard fg at the end of the game when your kicker clearly looked overwhelmed kicking 42-45 yard fgs..... I think he got greedy and it cost saban. He should have settled for OT..... Anyone else shocked that ALA loses it's chance to 3peat. That is a game that really proves Playoffs will be a welcome sign. Auburn loses to LSU and ALA loses to Aub. You mean to tell me if these teams played again AUB would actually win. ALA was the best team in college football and won't get to defend it's back2back crowns because of divisions and the NCAA wacked up BCS bowl games. Im glad Playoffs are in effect for 2014 because that's brutal imo.

I think Bama would have lost in ot anyway. Their kicker went sideways and you prob need a couple fgs in the ots. Saban will prob get the best kicker in the world for the team next year

I agree I'm glad for the playoffs in college. However I'm no fan of Saban and don't mind him losing. He's an obsessive control freak ala Belichik who can't handle fun... compare him to chip kellys loose system.

As for the loss the special teams coach should have been ready for this. I remember a bears game in 2005 where bears cornerback nathan vasher returned a long missed fg for a td exactly like this. Except that was at halftime not the end of the game.

I still haven't seen the replay, but when I was listening to it on the radio the broadcaster stated he thought time had expired when yeldon stepped out.

I agree I'm glad for the playoffs in college. However I'm no fan of Saban and don't mind him losing. He's an obsessive control freak ala Belichik who can't handle fun... compare him to chip kellys loose system.

As for the loss the special teams coach should have been ready for this. I remember a bears game in 2005 where bears cornerback nathan vasher returned a long missed fg for a td exactly like this. Except that was at halftime not the end of the game.
Even if the Bama players were ready for the return, they are at a horrible disadvantage to covering it. They have no real athletes on the field in a FG formation. They have slow, big and clumsy lineman who are great blockers. These guys don't have the athleticism to run down in lanes or tackle a guy with elite speed and quickness. Especially when that athlete has the kind of room to start off that they are sure to get on a missed FG. The lineman need to first secure the K getting off and can't even begin to run down field until they hear the sound of the ball being kicked. This is how they are coached. Even then, they will be engaged with a defender and have to release. Then, you have the fact that FG attempts aren't kicked as high as punts. Add to it that these guys are trained blockers, not tacklers and are at a disadvantage athletically and you can pretty much say they are set up to fail. If the K doesn't make it out of the end zone in that circumstance is actually be more surprised if they guy didn't run it back.

I still haven't seen the replay, but when I was listening to it on the radio the broadcaster stated he thought time had expired when yeldon stepped out.
Saban basically argued his way into getting the extra second put back on for the one last kick.
I guess the point here is that the BCS probably wanted a Bama win and gave them their shot.

Still not sure how close of a call it was though.

Saban basically argued his way into getting the extra second put back on for the one last kick.
I guess the point here is that the BCS probably wanted a Bama win and gave them their shot.

Still not sure how close of a call it was though.
There are no conspiracy theories here. They have a freeze frame shot that was clear as day and Yeldon was out with a second on the clock.

Well I didn't think the Bama/AU discussion belonged here but now that it is... I'm happy, because that was one of the greatest ball games college or pro we will ever see. That was Billy Cannon plus The Catch plus Tebow's pass to beat the Steelers all in one, and it happened in the nation's biggest rivalry game.

99 yard TD pass - lead to Bama

run run run run .... flippin' Doc Blanchard jump pass to tie with under a minute left.

Billy Cannon epic run with no time left to win the whole damn thing.

Incredible.

I hope Duke or Spartie wins or both so Auburn gets in the championship, they deserve it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the point here is that the BCS probably wanted a Bama win and gave them their shot.Still not sure how close of a call it was though.
There are no conspiracy theories here. They have a freeze frame shot that was clear as day and Yeldon was out with a second on the clock.
Thanks. Like I said, I hadn't seen it, was basing it off the radio broadcast and the broadcaster seemed a little skeptical.

It's pretty simple. Saban's arrogance cost Bama the game. Kick the FG go up by 10 and probably not dealing with this mess.

What do you fellow sharks think about the decision to kick a 57 yard fg at the end of the game when your kicker clearly looked overwhelmed kicking 42-45 yard fgs..... I think he got greedy and it cost saban. He should have settled for OT..... Anyone else shocked that ALA loses it's chance to 3peat. That is a game that really proves Playoffs will be a welcome sign. Auburn loses to LSU and ALA loses to Aub. You mean to tell me if these teams played again AUB would actually win. ALA was the best team in college football and won't get to defend it's back2back crowns because of divisions and the NCAA wacked up BCS bowl games. Im glad Playoffs are in effect for 2014 because that's brutal imo.
Alabama had the chance to defend its title; they lost to the #4 team. That could happen just as easily in a playoff.

It does seem that a Hail Mary would be a better play than a FG at that point.

Well I didn't think the Bama/AU discussion belonged here but now that it is... I'm happy, because that was one of the greatest ball games college or pro we will ever see. That was Billy Cannon plus The Catch plus Tebow's pass to beat the Steelers all in one, and it happened in the nation's biggest rivalry game.

run run run run .... flippin' Doc Blanchard jump pass to tie with under a minute left.

Incredible.

I hope Duke or Spartie wins or both so Auburn gets in the championship, they deserve it.
Auburn still needs to win on December 7 as well...

Even if the Bama players were ready for the return, they are at a horrible disadvantage to covering it. They have no real athletes on the field in a FG formation. They have slow, big and clumsy lineman who are great blockers. These guys don't have the athleticism to run down in lanes or tackle a guy with elite speed and quickness. Especially when that athlete has the kind of room to start off that they are sure to get on a missed FG. The lineman need to first secure the K getting off and can't even begin to run down field until they hear the sound of the ball being kicked. This is how they are coached. Even then, they will be engaged with a defender and have to release. Then, you have the fact that FG attempts aren't kicked as high as punts. Add to it that these guys are trained blockers, not tacklers and are at a disadvantage athletically and you can pretty much say they are set up to fail. If the K doesn't make it out of the end zone in that circumstance is actually be more surprised if they guy didn't run it back.
yep. prob more likelly auburn scores than the guy makes that field goal. dumb decision by saban.

What do you fellow sharks think about the decision to kick a 57 yard fg at the end of the game when your kicker clearly looked overwhelmed kicking 42-45 yard fgs....
It was a different kicker kicking the last one, one that Saban said was nailing 60 yarders in practice with no wind (had the wind at his back on the 57 yarder).

Saban said in the post game presser that they had things setup for this on long FG attempts. The players were supposed to fan out and cover each sideline for a return on a long FG attempt, and the coaches reminded the players of this before the last kick. Saban said the players on the left side did their job fanning out, and for whatever reason the players on the right side did not. If you watch the replay you can see the Bama linemen casually jogging their way over there (and not making it in time) rather than hustling as the return is starting.

That, combined with (as someone else mentioned) the lack of athletes on the return led to an easy runback.

I knew it was a risk when they kicked it and I actually told my wife "how amazing would it be if Auburn wins this on a return of a short FG", but that return could have been a lot more difficult if the right side of Bama's line had hustled and made him cut back inside rather than casually jogging and just letting him run up the sideline.

Incredible.

Auburn still needs to win on December 7 as well...
I think auburn will lose to Missouri next week. They are a very underrated team with a good defense.

Auburn better blow out Missou to make the title game. I'd hate to see them sneak into the Championship after that fluke win against UGA.

Say what you will. I would take him over Stoops at OU in a heartbeat and I think Stoops is a damn good coach. NS may be the best college football head coach of the last 50 years +. He has surrounded himself with an amazing staff, he coaches proper technique, has great schemes, and his players know their roles. Nobody has their team ready to play at such a high level week in and week out taking every team's best shot.

He mentioned his kicker was hitting 60 yarders during the week. Can't blame him for going for the win. You better believe he learned from what happened. Got to have some athletes on the field to defend against that return. What a great football game.

Odds on Saban going to Texas now? greater because of Iron bowl loss? or does the loss guarantee he stays for his revenge? or it doesn't matter he has already made up his mind?

I think he was going to Tx regardless..

going to be fun with Fl St v. Ohio State in the BCS championship game..no way Auburn gets there with a loss..

I would have tried hail mary.... If not you get OT and I think Bama wins it if it goes to OT.... Took a lucky break when bama kicker missed that 45 yarder to make it a 10 point game.

Tanner9919 said:

going to be fun with Fl St v. Ohio State in the BCS championship game..no way Auburn gets there with a loss..
I'm not so sure about that. But it has happened to Auburn before when they were undefeated so I wouldn't be surprised.

College ball really needs to fix its system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanner9919 said:

I'm not so sure about that. But it has happened to Auburn before when they were undefeated so I wouldn't be surprised.

College ball really needs to fix its system.
Auburn missed out to two undefeated teams though. There's no way a 1-loss team is going over Ohio State.

Bears did this today on the final play of regulation. I had instant thoughts of that game. It at least looks like the blockers were coached to release early and get down field. Patterson had no blocking, but it was still scary.

That is a game that really proves Playoffs will be a welcome sign. Auburn loses to LSU and ALA loses to Aub. You mean to tell me if these teams played again AUB would actually win. ALA was the best team in college football and won't get to defend it's back2back crowns because of divisions and the NCAA wacked up BCS bowl games. Im glad Playoffs are in effect for 2014 because that's brutal imo.
I completely disagree. Not having playoffs is what makes college football so exciting and added another dimension and sense of urgency to that Iron Bowl. The season IS the playoff. The only time it doesn't work is when there are more than 2 undefeated teams and that will be fixed with the new 4 team "plus 1" playoff.

If that same play would have happened to the Broncos this week to end a game, it'd be #1 on Sportscenter and then no one would give a ####. Denver's season is still going regardless. In college, it's one of the all time greatest endings.

Saban had a different look for most of that game. He was almost a little disinterested, still acting like a jerk, but more passive. Usually he's screaming his face off when someone misses a tackle even when the team is winning by 3 touchdowns. In this game, he just looked 'checked-out.' I would not be surprised if he announces after the bowls that he is going to UT/USC/ND. Those are the only schools that he would realistically leave Bama for.

I'm glad to see one lying s.o.b. out of the championship game,now if Sparty can just find a way to beat the other lying s.o.b. it'll be a great final game.

Possibly the greatest game ever played - I will give it that distinction if somehow Auburn wins the National Championship.

Game had everything:

Serious Rivalry

99 yd TD pass

Back to back 4-1 stops

Blocked FG

Comeback/awesome late game TD

Last second drive

Last second FG miss returned for 109 yds

Nick Saban looking lost at the post game press conference

What else could you want from a game?

I don't know anyone who likes Alabama other than locals thanks to their arrogance and just them genre rally being rotten fans with a horrible person as it's coach. Thank you Auburn!

Users who are viewing this thread