What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alabama CB Geno Smith suspended for the season opener following DUI (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faust

MVP
Rotoworld:

Alabama head coach Nick Saban suspended starting sophomore CB Geno Smith for the season opener following his DUI arrest over the weekend.
The Crimson Tide face Virginia Tech on August 31st. "He’s never been in trouble here before, never been in my office for anything, but I think this is something that everybody should learn from that when you make a bad choice, sometimes the consequences of that choice can really have a negative effect," Saban said. Smith did practice on Tuesday, but apparently spent times with the safeties rather than corners. He will likely see plenty of playing time once returning to meaningful game action.

Source: AL.com
Any impact on his future NFL draft stock?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Alabama head coach Nick Saban suspended starting sophomore CB Geno Smith for the season opener following his DUI arrest over the weekend.
The Crimson Tide face Virginia Tech on August 31st. "He’s never been in trouble here before, never been in my office for anything, but I think this is something that everybody should learn from that when you make a bad choice, sometimes the consequences of that choice can really have a negative effect," Saban said. Smith did practice on Tuesday, but apparently spent times with the safeties rather than corners. He will likely see plenty of playing time once returning to meaningful game action.

Yes. Oakland has moved him to #1.

The collective intelligence of posters who do this is negative infinity.

I've seen other folks do this, but seriously, Faust? This is so lame.

Agree. I only opened this because Faust started it otherwise I would have blown it off as a fake story. Cred takes a hit here.

What's the odds of 2 players just a couple years apart in age being named Geno Smith?

Rotoworld:

I chuckled.

Remain calm everyone. This is what is commonly referred to as a "joke".

Besides, anyone counting on the fantasy value of the NFL's Geno Smith is really doing it wrong anyway.

Faust knew what he was doing here. If this were a legit post, not designed to draw attention to himself, the title would have read something like:

"Alabama CB Geno Smith suspended..."

But, Faust wanted to draw attention to himself, and he successfully did so. Not in a positive way, either.

Faust knew what he was doing here. If this were a legit post, not designed to draw attention to himself, the title would have read something like:

"Alabama CB Geno Smith suspended..."

But, Faust wanted to draw attention to himself, and he successfully did so. Not in a positive way, either.
:rolleyes:

You guys making light of this are going to contribute to more of this crap happening on Sundays in-season when people are trying to check for news really quickly before they have to go out.

Should be insta-ban every time.

You guys making light of this are going to contribute to more of this crap happening on Sundays in-season when people are trying to check for news really quickly before they have to go out.

Should be insta-ban every time.
Have you not been following Faust's news service all off season? He gets a lot of leeway from me after that gargantuan job.

This is a Wednesday in August, unlikely people are going to see this and think "boy I can't wait to trick everyone on a regular season Sunday morning", it was a HARMLESS joke. If people do this on a regular season Sunday morning, I can see people getting riled up about it. Give it a rest.

I wish my life was so awesome that getting upset over a post on a FANTASY football message board was all I had to worry about.

Hmmm, I opened it and read the news blurb. I understood right away this wasn't news about the Buffalo QB Geno Smith. I took Faust's question about future draft stock fairly innocently, but did think the title of the thread was misleading. I didn't get the impression he was looking to make a name for himself, as he's already done that here. Plus I didn't feel it was an attempt at humor. Faust isn't funny and he knows it. If I'm wrong, and it was an attempt humor, I'm willing to give him a pass. I certainly don't think he'll try to get funny on game days and shame on any of you who think he should be banned for this thread. I've seen too many "Granny breaks legs of star QB in car accident" threads and none of those posters were banned.

A few quick things:

1. I was trying to be a touch funny, as it was a great coincidence that Geno Smith is a rookie QB for the Jets and that Alabama has a CB who was suspended with the same name. I did make it very clear in the first post that it wasn't Geno Smith the Jets QB, so that it was clear that it was just for fun.

2. I wouldn't post this type of stuff during the regular season when making last minute line-up decisions could be impacted by this type of post, but this was a Wednesday during the preseason, so I am trying to take a bit of a poke at all of us who are waiting on baited breath with any breaking news (myself included).

3. Not worried too much about board credibility either way, as this is fantasy football, and while I take it fairly seriously, it is to be fun as well and my League members float this kind of stuff around so regularly, we all know to verify this type of stuff before making any rash decisions. I have had several people email me stories about my QBs breaking both of their legs in a car crash caused by some 70 year-old lady driving an exotic car.

4. I will edit the title of the thread so that no more are snared by this one.

A few quick things:

1. I was trying to be a touch funny, as it was a great coincidence that Geno Smith is a rookie QB for the Jets and that Alabama has a CB who was suspended with the same name. I did make it very clear in the first post that it wasn't Geno Smith the Jets QB, so that it was clear that it was just for fun.

2. I wouldn't post this type of stuff during the regular season when making last minute line-up decisions could be impacted by this type of post, but this was a Wednesday during the preseason, so I am trying to take a bit of a poke at all of us who are waiting on baited breath with any breaking news (myself included).

3. Not worried too much about board credibility either way, as this is fantasy football, and while I take it fairly seriously, it is to be fun as well and my League members float this kind of stuff around so regularly, we all know to verify this type of stuff before making any rash decisions. I have had several people email me stories about my QBs breaking both of their legs in a car crash caused by some 70 year-old lady driving an exotic car.

You have lost 0 cred with me.

A few quick things:

My point with that comment was when you see the crap about Manning has 2 broken legs, you look who posted it open it up and its crap. I don't expect that from Faust. My first impression when I saw the title was that it was BS. Then I saw Faust posted it and since I'm in the middle of a rookie draft right now, I though it was something I should check. Never occurred to me that it could be a crap post. Took a minute or two of checking post dates and re-reading that I realized it was about a college player. Did it distract me much? No, but I didn't expect it from a respectable poster like Faust.

The intentional BS posting is frustrating, no matter who its from. Especially now when drafts are in progress. Funny? A little but the SP isn't a place we should need our BS filters on.

Just one person's opinion.

A few quick things:

My point with that comment was when you see the crap about Manning has 2 broken legs, you look who posted it open it up and its crap. I don't expect that from Faust. My first impression when I saw the title was that it was BS. Then I saw Faust posted it and since I'm in the middle of a rookie draft right now, I though it was something I should check. Never occurred to me that it could be a crap post. Took a minute or two of checking post dates and re-reading that I realized it was about a college player. Did it distract me much? No, but I didn't expect it from a respectable poster like Faust.

The intentional BS posting is frustrating, no matter who its from. Especially now when drafts are in progress. Funny? A little but the SP isn't a place we should need our BS filters on.

Just one person's opinion.
Fair enough, and my apologies if it caused you too much grief in checking it out!

Cheers,

Faust

Faust, keep up the great work. I'm actually more depressed it was the Bama CB than the Jets. :(

If Geno Smith (NYJ) is on your team...you are done anyways.
. How about if he is on my taxi squad in a dynasty? Am I still done?
Would you be starting him in the season opener in such a case?
Right...because clearly that's the only time having a DUI on his record will be an issue.
It's the only time this thread would cause an issue for someone who was planning on starting Geno Smith in week 1.

People really have a hard time following an argument these days.

Agree. I only opened this because Faust started it otherwise I would have blown it off as a fake story. Cred takes a hit here.
:lol: this isn't serious business all the thyme
That's what my aunt Rosemary and her husband Basil say.
sage advice

If Geno Smith (NYJ) is on your team...you are done anyways.
. How about if he is on my taxi squad in a dynasty? Am I still done?
Would you be starting him in the season opener in such a case?
Right...because clearly that's the only time having a DUI on his record will be an issue.
It's the only time this thread would cause an issue for someone who was planning on starting Geno Smith in week 1.

People really have a hard time following an argument these days.
What if he's a consideration drafting him in the 2nd round of a rookie draft? Would a DUI raise a flag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread