What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alex Murdaugh found shot (1 Viewer)

Man, that son lost everything. Mom and brother murdered. Dad likely involved and now is likely going to prison for insurance fraud. Money is likely all gone. And by name alone his reputation will be ruined for life.
Life certainly comes at you fast

I still can't get over how ugly this guy is.  He and Mark Davis are 1A 1B in dudes with enough money to look at least a little better.  Jesus.
When they said Mark Davis is worth $500m the first thing I thought was "dude, stop with the clown look". Somebody gotta step and tell him, right? I mean you can't get up in the morning, throw the Sonny Crocket Miami Vice ensemble on, check the mirror on the way out, shoot your finger gunz at the reflection and think, "yeah...####### nailed it" right?

When they said Mark Davis is worth $500m the first thing I thought was "dude, stop with the clown look". Somebody gotta step and tell him, right? I mean you can't get up in the morning, throw the Sonny Crocket Miami Vice ensemble on, check the mirror on the way out, shoot your finger gunz at the reflection and think, "yeah...####### nailed it" right?

Mark Davis looks like the ******* love child of Eric Stoltz from Mask and a mushroom.

GroveDiesel said:
Man, that son lost everything. Mom and brother murdered. Dad likely involved and now is likely going to prison for insurance fraud. Money is likely all gone. And by name alone his reputation will be ruined for life.
Buster possibly had something to do with the Stephen Smith death that preceded all of this. Investigation was reopened into that as well. 

r/MurdaughFamilyMurders is on fire!
this thread is full of juicy local  and unsubstantiated gossip

-Alex not only had a mistress but he bud a daughter by a mistress who is now at Clemson.

- the grandfather (Alexs father) had a love child years ago who also went on to be a lawyer in SC (but with diff last name).

- Maggie moved out because of Alex affair and might have had a live in boyfriend. She was planning to divorce and had a forensic audit performed which should have noticed the missing money.

- the hunting lodge used to belong to a former client who was a drug runner and there's an airfield on the property. client couldn't pay legal bills and signed over deed.

- days before the accident,  the housekeeper said she was afraid of Alex and Paul

In case anyone is still interested outside of SC, listened to all of them yesterday, really ties all the threads together. Still ongoing but it gets you up to speed on the how/why/when stuff. Most episodes are about 20 min each so easily digestible. Had to listen to the last one twice it was so convoluted. Would love to hear a lawyers reaction to it.

Caveat - her voice is annoying at first but she does address it in the 2nd episode. Given what she does for a living and that this is a side gig, I think she does an excellent job tying the multiple story lines together.

Murdaugh Murders

Yeah, this looks bad for a lot of prominent lawyers / bankers in SC. Palmetto State Bank seems to be in the crosshairs.

Cory Fleming has been ousted by his law firm

Bumping this because I'm so engrossed by the trial. Alex Murdaugh took the stand today in his defense, which should be wrapping up this week. I was pretty convinced he murdered his wife & son going into the trial so I started biased but the evidence presented over the last few weeks just further solidified my belief. I personally think it removes reasonable doubt but again, I'm biased. The prosecution ended their case last Friday with a timeline overlaid with GM OnStar tracking information of his vehicle the night of the murder which sealed it for me. His defense hasn't brought anything to the table this week that made doubt any of the evidence presented so far. They proposed one or possibly two small people (5' 2" or shorter) did the killing based on the kill shot on Paul. It's almost been laughable at times.

Regardless how it goes, he'll never not be in jail but it would be satisfying to see him held responsible for these unnecessary deaths that were perpetrated just to divert attention away from his mountain of financial crimes and put an end to the boat case.

Bumping this because I'm so engrossed by the trial. Alex Murdaugh took the stand today in his defense, which should be wrapping up this week. I was pretty convinced he murdered his wife & son going into the trial so I started biased but the evidence presented over the last few weeks just further solidified my belief. I personally think it removes reasonable doubt but again, I'm biased. The prosecution ended their case last Friday with a timeline overlaid with GM OnStar tracking information of his vehicle the night of the murder which sealed it for me. His defense hasn't brought anything to the table this week that made doubt any of the evidence presented so far. They proposed one or possibly two small people (5' 2" or shorter) did the killing based on the kill shot on Paul. It's almost been laughable at times.

Regardless how it goes, he'll never not be in jail but it would be satisfying to see him held responsible for these unnecessary deaths that were perpetrated just to divert attention away from his mountain of financial crimes and put an end to the boat case.

I haven't been watching this one all that closely, but from what I do know I agree with you that it would be good to see him be accountable for this.

It's hard for me to imagine he's doing himself any favors by testifying, but maybe someone will believe him.

It's hard for me to imagine he's doing himself any favors by testifying, but maybe someone will believe him.
I was watching some of it today and he started by saying he lied about not being at the kennels where they were killed. He then went on to say he had to keep lying because he was afraid of the police. At the time, he was a badge carrying solicitor who worked side-by-side with these same police he feared. His son sent a Snapchat 4 minutes before he was killed (unbeknownst to Alex). Until that came out, Alex was adamant he wasn't anywhere near the kennels, napping at the main home. Now he admits to lying about that under oath. I just don't understand how he thought taking hte stand would help his case when he leads with, "I was lying from the start".

I was watching some of it today and he started by saying he lied about not being at the kennels where they were killed. He then went on to say he had to keep lying because he was afraid of the police. At the time, he was a badge carrying solicitor who worked side-by-side with these same police he feared. His son sent a Snapchat 4 minutes before he was killed (unbeknownst to Alex). Until that came out, Alex was adamant he wasn't anywhere near the kennels, napping at the main home. Now he admits to lying about that under oath. I just don't understand how he thought taking hte stand would help his case when he leads with, "I was lying from the start".
It's not a lie if you believe it....

I was pretty convinced he murdered his wife & son going into the trial so I started biased but the evidence presented over the last few weeks just further solidified my belief
Same here; the punishment I believe befits someone who kills his wife and child is cruel, unusual and uncool; so I won't post it here.

He's been on the stand all day and remembers in great detail the events of the night of the killings. Spent a lot of time describing where the dogs were outside, and what birds they were chasing. Invented an entirely new nickname for son Paul he probably killed, which he never used at any time in any police interview or other questioning: "Paul Paul". When it came to questioning him about anything else, especially financial crimes, he claimed he didn't remember anything due to his opiod use. Described all the people he defrauded in detail and how much he cared about the, but never remembered any detail about how he stole their money.

His trial is on TV again tomorrow. "Crazy Liar's New Stories"

He's been on the stand all day and remembers in great detail the events of the night of the killings. Spent a lot of time describing where the dogs were outside, and what birds they were chasing. Invented an entirely new nickname for son Paul he probably killed, which he never used at any time in any police interview or other questioning: "Paul Paul". When it came to questioning him about anything else, especially financial crimes, he claimed he didn't remember anything due to his opiod use. Described all the people he defrauded in detail and how much he cared about the, but never remembered any detail about how he stole their money.

His trial is on TV again tomorrow. "Crazy Liar's New Stories"
Irrelevant details are one thing that investigators are taught to evaluate when assessing someone's truthfulness.

If you look up narcissist in the dictionary you should see his picture. He is trying his damndest to manipulate the narrative and I hope Creighton Waters just eviscerates him today. The smugness, the callousness, I'm so sick of seeing him prance around the courtroom as if he's still al that. I know he will finish his life in prison but I want to see him knocked down off his high perch.

Outstanding twist and turn that he took the stand, I think it's bold and I have been following this case as I do many of the bigger murder cases nationally.
Pretty fascinating how this is broadcast live.

Another famous one unfolding in Idaho, that seems pretty black and white, we know we have the bad guy.

I'm not sure Alex is going to be found guilty or not.

I don't think this prosecutor is winning the case.
There are holes galore in Alex Murdaugh's testimony but his stuttering kind of feels natural
He is getting the prosecutor to take on the bully role and I don't think all 12 jurors are going to roll right over for the prosecution
He rubs me the wrong way and I am not rooting for Murdaugh in any way.
He tells everyone he was on so may drugs he didn't know which way was up and which way was down, it might work as a defense.
The prosecutor likely doesn't have to grill an attorney or a seasoned law guy like Murdaugh, their trades of words are getting pretty hostile.

He tells everyone he was on so may drugs he didn't know which way was up and which way was down, it might work as a defense.
I saw Mandy Matney ask how much is 2000mg of Oxytocin? Did Murdaugh claim he was taking that much daily?

I'm not familiar but isn't that enough to kill a city block?

I saw Mandy Matney ask how much is 2000mg of Oxytocin? Did Murdaugh claim he was taking that much daily?

He testified as much as 30 a day if I heard him correctly.
Murdaugh is going to make it difficult to convict him.
He is looking right into that jury and talking to them from the stand.
Even when the prosecutor is summarizing Murdaugh's words, it feels like he is being a bully, too emotional.
He needs to be more matter of fact and then pour it on in the closing arguments.
Murdaugh is going to draw some sympathy with how this is unfolding.

He testified as much as 30 a day if I heard him correctly.
Even when the prosecutor is summarizing Murdaugh's words, it feels like he is being a bully, too emotional.
He needs to be more matter of fact and then pour it on in the closing arguments.
I suppose and I'm saying this as someone who has made up their mind already, I don't know how the jury reconciles all the lies upon lies upon lies along with the technological evidence introduced last week and think it was anybody but Alex Murdaugh.

Hadn’t heard about this at all until reading about it in a month-old New Yorker article
For those that don't know the story, it's almost too fantastical to believe. There will be at least one major motion picture made about it and probably countless books. There's a Netflix special on it now and HBO Max special from a month or so ago if you want to get the high level synopsis of what's going on. I started following this when the Murdaugh Murders podcast started about 3-4 years ago. I want to look away but the :tfp: is just too much for me.

Knowing nothing at all about Murdaugh and the case ... I listened to about 30 minutes of his testimony yesterday. It was the part where the prosecutor was trying to get Murdaugh to admit that he misused his quasi-law-enforcement badges, plus a few minutes before and after.

Again, coming in ice-cold with no prior knowledge ... Murdaugh came off as sympathetic during that half-hour of testimony. Despite the almost certain fact that he'd probably been an *** in the past with the badges and used them as hook-ups and "get out of jail free" tools. Dude even installed blue "cop" lights on his non-law-enforcement car and told the prosecutor straight up that local sheriffs' (multiple sheriffs now) game him explicit permission to do so. Even when BSing and copping (pun) to stuff like that, Murdaugh still came off sympathetic compared to the prosecutor.

Later, when I looked up and read about the case ... I was wondering why the prosecutor was spending all kinds of testimony time on side issues like use of old badges and such. I know, I know ... "It establishes that he lies!" Meh ... humans lie. Prove the specific charge or move on.

Prove the specific charge or move on.
There has certainly been grounds for criticism of the prosecution. Waters has never tried a murder case let alone one where they literally had to take down the picture of the defendants grandfather in the courtroom prior to the trial.

I heard a good analogy last week about the case after the prosecution rested. Comparing it to a baseball game, they were ahead 9-5. The question this week was we knew the defense was going to score some runs, would the lead be enough to win the game? I still think so but he has some really opportune moments right now with Alex on the stand that he's whiffing on.

Hadn’t heard about this at all until reading about it in a month-old New Yorker article
For those that don't know the story, it's almost too fantastical to believe. There will be at least one major motion picture made about it and probably countless books. There's a Netflix special on it now and HBO Max special from a month or so ago if you want to get the high level synopsis of what's going on. I started following this when the Murdaugh Murders podcast started about 3-4 years ago. I want to look away but the :tfp: is just too much for me.
Exactly, hate to say it but this is entertaining to watch it or listen to it live, maybe all trials are done this way but here we have a very rich family and for some reason the fact they are upper class snobs seems to add a little more to the story than there already is. In fact I would say money made them even more evil in general.

Fascinating to watch a sociopath garner sympathy, taking the stand against his attorney's wishes, can't stand to watch the scoreboard any more and is going on the offense.
Murdaugh is going down swinging.

No.

I had a cousin addicted for a bit. He used to tell my brother he needed $60 per day for his habit. At the time, it was a buck a mg, so he was taking 60 mg/day. Effing nasty business, opioid addiction.

Users who are viewing this thread