What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

An Open Letter of Apology to Myself (1 Viewer)

Joee Smiff

Footballguy
Before the draft, many of you emotional wrecks overwhelmed by envy, jealousy and petty bitterness were lampooning the Mannings for leaking their misgivings about going to San Diego as well as the harm they had done to San Diego's theoretical leverage in negotiations with other teams.You guys were foaming at the mouth, rabid with anger and resentment. Over and over and over I heard nothing but, this is gonna harm San Diego's leverage. This is gonna hurt their chances of getting a trade done. They wont be able to get fair value and will have to settle for less, blah blah blah, yada yada yada.Nevermind the fact that it was San Diego itself who leaked the info.Nothing but horror stories were given based on theoreticals that EVERY single prospect was gonna hold out and demand which team they played for. The NFL as we knew it and the draft we all enjoy was near extinction.Take this gem by diesel7982:

So Archie is basically asking for SD to trade the #1 to NYG...does he realize that by saying he doesnt want his son to play for SD he just killed all hopes of a trade? How can SD get good value for the #1 now?Archie is an idiot
I hate to single out one guy, because he wasnt alone. But here is my response:
San Diego will do what is in their best interests. If New York really wants Manning, they will trade up and get him.You guys are kidding yourselves if you think there is any real impact on the negotionations between these two teams based on some comments by Manning.
And...since the draft started...the Giants traded up for Manning and many suggest they even OVERPAID. Go figure.The lesson here is...before you let vitriolic response full of emotion, jealously, envy, bitterness and contempt grab hold of you, analyze the information logically.

Eli Manning certainly didn't gain any fans yesterday. He is not a man (term used very loosely) who's ready for the rigors of playing QB in the NFL and I look forward to watching his struggles.I'm sure LaVar Arrington is salivating at the prospect causing pain to daddys little putz.

vitriolic response full of emotion, jealously, envy, bitterness and contempt

Last edited by a moderator:
Eli Manning certainly didn't gain any fans yesterday. He is not a man (term used very loosely) who's ready for the rigors of playing QB in the NFL and I look forward to watching his struggles.I'm sure LaVar Arrington is salivating at the prospect causing pain to daddys little putz.
:rotflmao: I am not gonna argue with you as I have already made my opinions known on the matter. Arrington probably should spend a little more time worrying about Satan taking his money out of his paycheck.

Out of curiosity, why?
Joffer is an at-home father who runs a Day Care operation out of his house, so it's understandable why he's sympathetic to Eli Manning."Eli, either hold that jersey up or go sit in the corner. Take a two-minute timeout and think about why you're there"

Guys salivating at the chance to knock golden goy Eli on his kiester:LavarShawn TaylorTrotterSimonKaluMcDuagleDawkinsEllisGloverWilliamsCoakleyNguyenAll SD players

Guys salivating at the chance to knock golden goy Eli on his kiester:LavarShawn TaylorTrotterSimonKaluMcDuagleDawkinsEllisGloverWilliamsCoakleyNguyenAll SD players
LMAOI forgot. They are professionals. They only play 100% against the players they really dont like. :wacko:

as far as I can tell, the Giants played hardball with the Chargers and didn't offer much in the way of a trade UNTIL the Chargers called the Manning's bluff and picked him. If they had been swayed by Manning's threats to sit out and picked Gallery instead, I'm guessing the Giants would have tried to work a deal with Oakland instead.According to AJ Smith and Ernie Accorsi, the trade talks didn't really pick up until after both teams had drafted the players. Rivers didn't even get a call from the Giants.So, I'm not sure that leaking the information really helped the Chargers here. The Giants just waited them out, but eventually got desperate after Manning and Gallery went off the board #1 and #2, and ended up overpaying slightly.

LMAOI forgot. They are professionals. They only play 100% against the players they really dont like. :wacko:
and all the "profesionals" in other fields bust their ### every day....getting paid/being a profesional isn't a great motivator for that many people...great attribute to have but most people don't....have never understood why people think athletes should be so different....of course they get "pumped up" for certain games/opponents and may look past others.

Out of curiosity, why?
1. Not a Giants fan. In fact, I'm a pretty big Kerry Collins fan.2. Whenever I see someone being, in my opinion, unfairly criticized, I tend to take the other side. That's just me. In this case, the amount of lambasting that this kid has received is just absurd. The number of people that know exactly what went on between the Chargers, the agent, and the Manning family is probably quite low. Everyone seems to be assuming that this is a case of a spoiled rich kid holding his breath until he gets what he wants. That scenario is certainly possible.However, I think it's also likely that the scenario is quite different. I've seen too many top prospects go into horrible situations in the NFL and struggle, especially QBs. The right organization can make the diffence between a HOF QB and a career journeyman. I think this kid might have just gone to his father and said, "San Diego just isn't where I want to be..", or his father says "San Diego is not where I want you to be...". I can understand a little criticism for making that kind of decision, but not too much. The kid's got the leverage, and the right to be happy with his professionsl situation. Maybe they talked about it, and decided that its probably in the Chargers best interest if they know that BEFORE they draft him, which I agree with.So they go to the Chargers and let them know that they should try to trade the pick. The Chargers can ignore it, and take him anyway. They can make the trade, or they can do an (IMHO) the total wrong thing and leak it to the press. That's the chicken #### way out I think.Again, I could be completely wrong about the way this played out. But I also understand that just about 99.9% of the people's opinions on this matter are as UNINFORMED about the details as I am. And unless I know the details, I'm going to give the kid the benefit of the doubt. 3. Generally, I think Eli is a good kid from what I've seen and read. The father may be a different story.I wish him success

Professonals they are, but more importantly human! As Lavar said agout the MC issue. Guys in the league don't like kids who come in and think they are above the rules they all had to obide by in order to get in. Your kidding yourself if you think this hasn't left a sour taste in the mouthes of a lot of players in the NFL. Heck even Will Petterson (now Manning's teammate) sounded dipleased about Manning's actions in radio interviews post draft yesterday.

Professonals they are, but more importantly human! As Lavar said agout the MC issue. Guys in the league don't like kids who come in and think they are above the rules they all had to obide by in order to get in. Your kidding yourself if you think this hasn't left a sour taste in the mouthes of a lot of players in the NFL. Heck even Will Petterson (now Manning's teammate) sounded dipleased about Manning's actions in radio interviews post draft yesterday.
What rule did Manning break? What rule was he above?

Heading in, it looked like he was a preening, whiney ##### with enough family financial leverage to say screw the draft's inherent fairness, I'm going to play where I damn well like or I'll take my ball and go home.After it all played out, it turned out he was a preening, whiney ##### with enough family financial leverage to say screw the draft's inherent fairness, I'm going to play where I damn well like or I'll take my ball and go home.You were wrong, we were all right. Accept it.

Heading in, it looked like he was a preening, whiney ##### with enough family financial leverage to say screw the draft's inherent UNfairness, I'm going to play where I damn well like or I'll take my ball and go home.

After it all played out, it turned out he was a preening, whiney ##### with enough family financial leverage to say screw the draft's inherent UNfairness, I'm going to play where I damn well like or I'll take my ball and go home.

You were wrong, we were all right. Accept it.
EDITED FOR ACCURACY

What rule did Manning break? What rule was he above?
No writen rule, but one that existes among players. The fact of the matter is that dam near all of these guys feel Privileged to get into the NFL and that he thinks he is above the system which governs the NFL draft. Basicaly, I don't think that many guys in the NFL care for whiney tools all that much and they will want to remind him that he isn't better than any of them or the system.

I had no opinion of manning before the draft but I now hate him. I hope he falls on his face.
:yes: .....and A LOT of people are going to feel that way....its the same way people felt about J.D. Drew in baseball but even worse cuz that had to do w/ money, not just being a crybaby and saying your not going to play for the team that "earned" the right to select you under the NFL's system.

I feel the same way about it as I did when this all started. I think it (Mannings' approach) was the wrong thing to do regardless of who "leaked it" or how it played out.On the other hand, I don't think it's that big a deal. He's not high on my list of guys to root for now, but there are a lot worse things he could have done for sure.They guy didn't want to play for a bad team. On the surface of things, I don't blame him. But I don't like the fact that he thought he had the right to manipulate the draft. He most definitely had the ABILITY to manipulate the draft, but I still don't think he had the right.Kind of like when a player argues with his coach on the sidelines. It doesn't break any rules, but it isn't the right thing to do.

Guys in the league don't like kids who come in and think they are above the rules
the only 'rule' I know of that applied to the Manning situation was the one that says if a player doesn't sign with a team, they are ineligible this year and have to go back into the draft next year..OK, what's the problem? Eli, who has a brother who just cashed a check for $38.5M, was in a position to wait it out a year if SD drafted him....but who stood out to lose the most, if indeed Manning would have sat?the absolute largest rookie contract that can be signed is if a QB is drafted #1.... Eli stood to lose salary this year, plus whatever the decrease in his contract next year, as the odds are long that a team would have taken him 1st overall in '05...that, boys and girls, would have been a very expensive decisionso :thumbdown: to everyone that thought that "the Mannings' are all about the money"...while Peyton could have carried his little brother for a year, it would have cost him somewhere around $7-10M bucks to not show up in SD

Joffer is an at-home father who runs a Day Care operation out of his house, so it's understandable why he's sympathetic to Eli Manning."Eli, either hold that jersey up or go sit in the corner. Take a two-minute timeout and think about why you're there"
Elisha Manning is a lil #####. Even Giants fans that I know are sayng he may be too much of a #####.

Elisha Manning is a lil #####. Even Giants fans that I know are sayng he may be too much of a #####.
it's opinions like this that usually drive me to the other side of a situation.

Any Manning Haters want to step up and confess that you were wrong about stating that San Diego has lost all its leverage in trade negotiations?There was more than one of you out there before the draft. Feel free to confess your sins before your father.

the only 'rule' I know of that applied to the Manning situation was the one that says if a player doesn't sign with a team, they are ineligible this year and have to go back into the draft next year..OK, what's the problem? Eli, who has a brother who just cashed a check for $38.5M, was in a position to wait it out a year if SD drafted him....but who stood out to lose the most, if indeed Manning would have sat?the absolute largest rookie contract that can be signed is if a QB is drafted #1.... Eli stood to lose salary this year, plus whatever the decrease in his contract next year, as the odds are long that a team would have taken him 1st overall in '05...that, boys and girls, would have been a very expensive decisionso :thumbdown: to everyone that thought that "the Mannings' are all about the money"...while Peyton could have carried his little brother for a year, it would have cost him somewhere around $7-10M bucks to not show up in SD
This is exactly the problem with it all as far as the other players are concerned. Just because he is fortunate enough to have a family with tons of money already does not mean he should be above the system. Do you think Eli would have tried to pull any of this if he was flat broke? I don't, and most people would prob. agree with that. He would be happy as a pig in **** just to be in the greatest profesional sports league and making Millions.I don't think that any of this had to do with money at all, outside of the fact that he doesn't need it as he can always lean on the daddy and big brother crutch. It is as simply as him thinking he is better than the draft and the system that runs it and all of the players before him who have respected it.

Joffer is an at-home father who runs a Day Care operation out of his house, so it's understandable why he's sympathetic to Eli Manning.
it's scary much you know cracker :unsure:

Any Manning Haters want to step up and confess that you were wrong about stating that San Diego has lost all its leverage in trade negotiations?There was more than one of you out there before the draft. Feel free to confess your sins before your father.
it doesn't appear to have hurt their leverage as they got a good offer from the Giants....I didn't say it would hurt their leverage so this isn't directed to me though...on a side-note whether it hurt their "leverage" or not Manning would be more "likeable" if he'd have just been willing to play for the team that drafted him, so long as they offered him a reasonable contract and showed a committment to bettering themselves as a franchise....he didn't do that, and it won't break my heart if he ends up struggling in the league.

it's opinions like this that usually drive me to the other side of a situation.
Just saying he comes off like a baby to me and even some diehard NYG fans here think he is ##### too. my opinion should not affect yours. my opinion is based on the situation and the hype and my views of him and the other QBs.

If you were my father, I would want to remove myself from the gene pool immediately.To respond to your silliness:Most of the "haters" as you call them, had a problem with Manning's approach to the situation. Whatever bearing it had on the trade situation was a another matter entirely, particularly since San Diego would not have had to announce the situation to the world.

Any Manning Haters want to step up and confess that you were wrong about stating that San Diego has lost all its leverage in trade negotiations?
I stated in another thread that I thought the Giants were too quick to let San Diego off the hook with their selection of Manning. It doesn't sound like a trade was already in the works. They were probably afraid that another team would cut them off, but they could've let the Chargers stew for a while with the potential of getting nothing for their first round pick, likely bringing down Manning's value a bit. As it stands, I think it's safe to say that the Giants overpaid.

on a side-note whether it hurt their "leverage" or not Manning would be more "likeable" if he'd have just been willing to play for the team that drafted him
Why dont you respect someone who does his best (given his limited degree of influence over his own career) to do what his best for him and his career?The hypocrisy of the Manning haters is ridiculous. None of you guys would accept the first job offer from the first company you interviewed with.What a joke!Oh yeah...but he is getting paid millions to play a game many of you guys would play for FREE. He should be happy and honored to simply have the privilege to play the game while peons like you rot away in monotony Mon-Fri, 9-5.

If you were my father, I would want to remove myself from the gene pool immediately.To respond to your silliness:Most of the "haters" as you call them, had a problem with Manning's approach to the situation. Whatever bearing it had on the trade situation was a another matter entirely, particularly since San Diego would not have had to announce the situation to the world.
Yes. Most of these haters dont hold themselves to the same standards they hold Eli. So sad.Hypocrisy is the flavor of the day.

The hypocrisy of the Manning haters is ridiculous. None of you guys would accept the first job offer from the first company you interviewed with.
I'm pretty sure that Manning applied for the NFL draft.

Why dont you respect someone who does his best (given his limited degree of influence over his own career) to do what his best for him and his career?The hypocrisy of the Manning haters is ridiculous. None of you guys would accept the first job offer from the first company you interviewed with.What a joke!Oh yeah...but he is getting paid millions to play a game many of you guys would play for FREE. He should be happy and honored to simply have the privilege to play the game while peons like you rot away in monotony Mon-Fri, 9-5.
Eli, shouldn't daddy be helping you study a playbook about now or something :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that Manning applied for the NFL draft.
yeah...and you apply for a job.and my point is..players in the NFL have very little leverage and self determination. to fault a guy for exercising his limited leverage is absurd.

then why didn't he come out and say the draft system is wrong? he didn't do that...he simply decided a system that is fine to put into play for everybody else shouldn't apply to him...and for that reason i simply won't cheer for him...i don't hate him...don't wish him injury...if he has a HOF career good for him...i'm just not going to be a fan of his. also if he had came out and said the draft as a system is bad for the players maybe the players wouldn't think the same way...he didn't! he simply said #### all you guys and the league...i'm getting mine....that's it.

yeah...and you apply for a job.
Yep, and if my application for a job came with a set of pre-determined guidelines, and I then went on #####ing about those guidelines, I'd consider myself on the same plane. Manning is obviously a closet Patriots fan.

then why didn't he come out and say the draft system is wrong? he didn't do that...he simply decided a system that is fine to put into play for everybody else shouldn't apply to him...and for that reason i simply won't cheer for him...i don't hate him...don't wish him injury...if he has a HOF career good for him...i'm just not going to be a fan of his. also if he had came out and said the draft as a system is bad for the players maybe the players wouldn't think the same way...he didn't! he simply said #### all you guys and the league...i'm getting mine....that's it.
Exactly!!! I could really care less if Eli goes on to have a HOF career or is a total bust. I'd rather he turns out great, as it will create another top FF QB and fun player to watch. I simply don't like his attitude as of now and won't be cheering for him. If he shows a different side in the years to come, then I may very well change my opinion.

Do you think Eli would have tried to pull any of this if he was flat broke? I don't, and most people would prob. agree with that. He would be happy as a pig in **** just to be in the greatest profesional sports league and making Millions.
Are you saying because the family had the where-with-all to wait this thing out, if he wasn't comfortable with the Charger organization, they shouldn't have...because 'everyone else' would have been happy to go play somewhere they didn't want to be?I'd submitt to you that if 'everyone else' had the where-with-all to wait it out that many of them would have, had they felt that strongly against how SD conducts business...keep in mind he would have given up MILLIONS not going to SD!If I were a GM in the league, SD would be deleted from my speed dial, as ole AJ doesn't know how to keep his yap shut...I felt strongly about this a couple weeks ago, as he leaked NYG's intent of looking at the pick by faxing all 30 teams "we're in negotiation's with NYG about the #1"...then tried to play the 'division rival' card driving up the price, getting Wash involved...with what? Wash had the #5 overall, plus a 5 and 6 this yearwhile Smith might have won this round, he'd never hear from me, no matter how good the deal looked...there are some things you discuss w/the media and/or other teams, and there are some things you don't...Smith doesn't have a clue where the line is on this

LMAOSo...if Manning would have first stated publicly that he felt the draft was morally wrong and unfair to incoming players and that he wasnt going to play for San Diego...you guys would all hold him in high regard now instead?Um.........sure. :rolleyes:

LMAOSo...if Manning would have first stated publicly that he felt the draft was morally wrong and unfair to incoming players and that he wasnt going to play for San Diego...you guys would all hold him in high regard now instead?Um.........sure. :rolleyes:
yes...if he'd have said its wrong for me and all other players to be subjected to a draft and not just go where we want, and that was truly a belief/conviction he held...i could view that w/ respect...as it is he simply whined to get his way....(sighs) but if it'll make u feel any better..."ok, I apologize for not thinking the same way as you...me and everyone else on the planet should worship the ground E. Manning walks on."

Not necessarilly. One of the reasons that we hold the NFL in such high regard is their attempt to keep the playing field level. This is one of the big reasons (for me at least) why baseball takes so much heat, their lack of concern over the competitiveness of their product. By Manning saying that he wouldn't play by the rules is an inherent knock on "our" game. We don't want football players to have the ability to choose where they play coming out of college. That's a right you have to earn with experience.

I never have expressed any feelings I have about Eli Manning in this forum until right now. I feel his behavior leading up to the draft was truly classless. I don't think any draft participant should be able to dictate where they want to go when they are unproven in the NFL. All players entering the draft should feel blessed if they are even drafted. Philip Rivers college statistics are better than Eli's, and Rivers said he was happy to go anywhere. Eli said he did not want to be chosen by the Chargers, and would sit out the year if he were chosen. Even after he was drafted by the Chargers, he said he would be seeking a lawyer. :no: His whining actually helped the Chargers. The Chargers wanted Rivers all along and with Eli fussing about going there, the Chargers gained more power. They knew Eli wanted the Giants, and the Giants wanted Eli. It was risky but it worked out fantastically for the Chargers, and I think the Chargers got the best quarterback in the draft. I could care less about Eli's future, but I am excited for Rivers and the Chargers.

Are you saying because the family had the where-with-all to wait this thing out, if he wasn't comfortable with the Charger organization, they shouldn't have...because 'everyone else' would have been happy to go play somewhere they didn't want to be?I'd submitt to you that if 'everyone else' had the where-with-all to wait it out that many of them would have, had they felt that strongly against how SD conducts business...keep in mind he would have given up MILLIONS not going to SD!If I were a GM in the league, SD would be deleted from my speed dial, as ole AJ doesn't know how to keep his yap shut...I felt strongly about this a couple weeks ago, as he leaked NYG's intent of looking at the pick by faxing all 30 teams "we're in negotiation's with NYG about the #1"...then tried to play the 'division rival' card driving up the price, getting Wash involved...with what? Wash had the #5 overall, plus a 5 and 6 this yearwhile Smith might have won this round, he'd never hear from me, no matter how good the deal looked...there are some things you discuss w/the media and/or other teams, and there are some things you don't...Smith doesn't have a clue where the line is on this
I'm not saying he should or shouldn't have, only the impression it has left on the majority of fans and players in the league. As far as this:
I'd submitt to you that if 'everyone else' had the where-with-all to wait it out that many of them would have
I don't know that they would or wouldn't and nor do you. I get the feeling though that most wouldn't and be happy to become part on the NFL.From your response though it seems that you justify his action simply because you don't like AJ. I can understand that. The fact remains though that Eli projects himself as a very selfish and above the law type of player in this action IMO. Now he may or may not be that way, but he is gonna have to show a lot more than other guys in order to change that view to me and a lot of other fans and players.

Any Manning Haters want to step up and confess that you were wrong about stating that San Diego has lost all its leverage in trade negotiations?

There was more than one of you out there before the draft. Feel free to confess your sins before your father.
Is your ego really that fragile that you need to make self-congratulatory threads to stroke it?

Not necessarilly. One of the reasons that we hold the NFL in such high regard is their attempt to keep the playing field level. This is one of the big reasons (for me at least) why baseball takes so much heat, their lack of concern over the competitiveness of their product. By Manning saying that he wouldn't play by the rules is an inherent knock on "our" game. We don't want football players to have the ability to choose where they play coming out of college. That's a right you have to earn with experience.
Manning DID play by the leagues rules!The reason there is so much parity in the NFL is because of the salary cap, not the draft. Parity would still reign supreme in the NFL if the draft was abolished and the salary cap remained.

I don't know that they would or wouldn't and nor do you. I get the feeling though that most wouldn't and be happy to become part on the NFL.
What do you base this on?All of the Manning haters hate manning because he supposedly abused the system/didnt play by the rules to benefit himself. For you guys to subsequently argue that the rest of the players in the league are humanitarians who are just happy to have a gig is preposterous.Before Manning...professional athletes are just greedy, selfish pigs all about getting paid. And we arent even talking about their drug use, roid use, wife beating, drinking and driving, child molesting or drug running.Now...Manning becomes the anti christ and the rest of the players in the league would ignore the option to better THEMSELVES by supposedly breaking the rules of the NFL and simply be TEAM players and go wherever because they are just happy to have the privilege to play the game that they worked for years at to hone their skills, etc.These are the same players who leave college early to make money....GB the HUMANITARIANS!

Users who are viewing this thread