What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre Carter LB signs with Redskins (1 Viewer)

Benchwarmers

Footballguy
NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports free-agent DE/LB Andre Carter is scheduled to fly to Washington and sign his brand new six-year, approximately $30 million contract.

I would upgrade him on your draft boards immediately. This was the defense that enabled unknowns like Chris Clemons to successfully pressure the QB from the DE position, so a guy with legit talent like Carter should do very well.

I am assuming that Carter will go back to DE.
Generally, yes, but apparently the team wants to run more 3-4 sets in certain game situations, and it was a plus for Carter that he could play both a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 OLB.

Early look at the Skins D-line.

Carter's arrival will shuffle the defensive line. Carter will play right end, which would move Phillip Daniels from right to left end. Daniels ended the season strong, recording seven sacks over the final three regular season games and the playoff win over Tampa Bay. Left end Renaldo Wynn, who is recovering from surgery after breaking his forearm against the Buccaneers, likely will be moved to defensive tackle.
Cornelius Griffin should be the other DT. I imagine Salave'a will rotate in regularly.

Early look at the Skins D-line.

Carter's arrival will shuffle the defensive line. Carter will play right end, which would move Phillip Daniels from right to left end. Daniels ended the season strong, recording seven sacks over the final three regular season games and the playoff win over Tampa Bay. Left end Renaldo Wynn, who is recovering from surgery after breaking his forearm against the Buccaneers, likely will be moved to defensive tackle.
Cornelius Griffin should be the other DT. I imagine Salave'a will rotate in regularly.
Rotation is the name of the game. What was described above will merely be the base defense (although I'm skeptical about how much Wynn will play DT in a base set). Carter will probably be switched back and forth between end positions; Wynn can play either DE or DT; the team has intimated that with Carter's versatility they'll also on occasion go to a 3-4 set with him standing up. I think Wynn is going to be a backup player from here on out. He never was a stellar DE, as his skills involve him holding the line and making plays on ball carriers more than anything. He rarely was able to penetrate and make plays in the backfield.

Users who are viewing this thread