What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andrew Yang's economic plan (1 Viewer)

If you're introducing a 3 part plan, part 3 should probably be stronger than whatever he suggested.  

But i think it's important that UBI is getting into the national debate. 

3) change measure of economic success from gdp to health and welfare 
I like Yang, I find him intriguing, but this last point is not really feasible. You can’t tell Wall Street what economic success is. Investors make that judgment, not the government. The value of currency will, in the final analysis, be the arbiter of economic success or failure. The Soviet Union learned that the hard way; we don’t need to repeat their mistakes. 

I like Yang, I find him intriguing, but this last point is not really feasible. You can’t tell Wall Street what economic success is. Investors make that judgment, not the government. The value of currency will, in the final analysis, be the arbiter of economic success or failure. The Soviet Union learned that the hard way; we don’t need to repeat their mistakes. 
Relying on Wall Street to define economic success is part of the problem. 

I fall somewhere in between Tim and NC. I heard Yang explain it recently and I thought he had a good point about our overreliance on a number that doesn't mean anything to most people, but it also comes across as a little squishy/New Agey.

I fall somewhere in between Tim and NC. I heard Yang explain it recently and I thought he had a good point about our overreliance on a number that doesn't mean anything to most people, but it also comes across as a little squishy/New Agey.
I just don't think it's good politics. 

Let's make a huge change to entitlement programs!

Let's make a huge change to healthcare!

And... let's...uh... use a different number to measure things...

I do completely agree that economic growth is not and should not be the primary measure of success and failure for government. 

I just don't know that that's something that the president can decide.

Is he proposing a task force to measure this and report on it to the public?  We already get a ton of measurements saying we suck at quality of living compared with other countries.  

Is he proposing that the CBO measure the health and well being impact of legislation?  

I think that - plus a wait period for legislative changes and mandatory public advertisement with a box like the one you see on credit card agreements - could be a good way to make sure the public could weigh in on spending bills.  If you could put the right information in that box. 

He’s also fully in favor of marijuana and will pardon everyone in jail for it on 4/20/21. I saw this on Twitter today. 

I’d definitely vote for him. 

If he could find someone with the last name of Yin for his VP, I'd probably vote for him for that reason alone.

Users who are viewing this thread