What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another cut at the 2006 draft. After the Rose Bowl (1 Viewer)

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy
I'm new to this, so be gentle...

1. Houston – Reggie Bush, RB

Cooler heads prevail and the Texans don’t take a risk with Young.

2. New Orleans – Matt Leinart, QB

Good luck signing him, though.

3. Tennessee – Vince Young, QB

Learns for a year behind McNair, then lights it up.

4. New York Jets – D’Brickashaw Ferguson, OT

Falls in their lap.

5. Green Bay - A. J. Hawk, LB

Bad defense gets better.

6. Oakland - Mario Williams, DE

Ditto.

7. San Francisco - Jimmy Williams, CB

Ditto again. Their D-backfield is a mess.

8. Buffalo – Haloti Ngata, DT

Every other mock has this. Why not me?.

9. Detroit - Marcus McNeill, OT

Helps out the bad offense big time. With a decent FA qb, their offense could be worth something next year.

10. Arizona - Deangelo Williams, RB

Arrington didn’t show enough, IMO, at the end of the year to prevent this.

11. St. Louis - Mathias Kiwanuka, DE

12. Cleveland – Broderick Bunkley, DT

13. Baltimore - Michael Huff, S

Paired with Ed Reed, yikes.

14. Philadelphia – Chad Greenway, LB

Defense still needs upgrading.

15. Atlanta - Tamba Hali, DE

16. Miami – Winston Justice, OT

17. Minnesota –Demeco Ryans, LB

I also like Jean-Giles here, but 3 LBs are UFAs this year and Ryans is the high character type guy the owner wants. RB will be addressed elsewhere in the draft or FA.

18. Dallas - Jon Scott, OT

Need a tackle, he's arguably the best left.

19. San Diego - Antonio Cromartie, CB

Move Jammer to safety.

20. Kansas City – D'Qwell Jackson, LB

May be a reach, but their still lacking on the D side.

21. New England - Laron Landry, S

Secondary needs help.

22. Denver - Marcedes Lewis, TE

Putzier is not the answer.

23. Tampa Bay - Eric Winston, OT

24. Carolina - Laurence Maroney, RB

Davis is done and Foster will be let go. This is a good fit for Maroney as the Panthers don’t pass to their backs that often.

25. Chicago - Leonard Pope, TE

Big time help to a pathetic offense.

26. Cincinnati - Vernon Davis, TE

The rich get richer on offense.

27. Pittsburgh - Lendale White, RB

And the city of Pittsburgh collectively wets their pants.

27. New York Giants – Claude Wroten, DT

29. Jacksonville - Tye Hill, CB

30. Denver – Santonio Holmes, WR

Lelie is a bust and Holmes is the best in the draft.

31. Seattle - Max Jean-Gilles, OG

And Mike Holmgren suits himself up and runs for 1000 behind that line. Their starting RG has been in the league 13 years. How much is left?

32. Indianapolis – Chad Jackson, WR

Will they re-sign Wayne?.

:shrug: Let the savagery begin. And don't go to Vegas with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
27. Pittsburgh - Lendale White 

After last night this is almost funny. Even before last night this is funny.
Yeah. Prolly. But where does he go then?Edit: Carolina, New England, NYJ, and Green Bay make the most sense.

I really wanted to spur conversation, more than anything with this.

i understand that Davis is done in Carolina but why let Foster go? Maybe I didn't pay attention as much as I usually do at the end of the year but didn't Foster look pretty good?

i understand that Davis is done in Carolina but why let Foster go? Maybe I didn't pay attention as much as I usually do at the end of the year but didn't Foster look pretty good?
He, like Mewelde Moore, look good when on the field, but can't stay healthy enough to be a featured back.

No chance White slides by NE.
I said the same thing about Steven Jackson.Belichick doesn't usually like to take RB in the first round, even when there's a need.

I'd guess that the Pats pick defense there...

I said the same thing about Steven Jackson.
Exactly what I was thinking. A few years ago, Jackson and Kevin Jones were viewed as definite top 10-15 picks, yet they both nearly slid out of the 1st round.As ever (with some exceptions), NFL teams generally don't place the same value on RBs that we FBGs do.

As ever (with some exceptions), NFL teams generally don't place the same value on RBs that we FBGs do.
You're right, this is true. But Dillon ain't getting any younger.Either the Pats draft an RB (whether that be in the 1st, 2nd, whatever... or they bring in an FA/make a trade ala Thomas Jones/Corey Dillon etc.) NE can't go into next year with the RB stable they have this year.

Carolina actually throws a lot to their backs. Foster and Going combined for about 50 catches the last 2 years. I think Maroney will be fine catching the ball though.As I said in other mock drafts, Denver will probably not use a 1st rounder on a TE. I don't think Putzier's level of production is a concern to them???

This from rotoworld:
Dennis Green asked for more patience regarding J.J. Arrington.

Impact: He compared Arrington to Thomas Jones, who only flourished when he left the desert. "You don't lead the nation in rushing (in college) unless you can run the rock," Green said. "Did he have a good year? No. Can bad habits kick in when you don't get blocking? Probably always." At least his coach isn't giving up on him.
:shrug:

Carolina actually throws a lot to their backs. Foster and Going combined for about 50 catches the last 2 years. I think Maroney will be fine catching the ball though.
I guess I mean they're no Philadelphia or San Diego in this regard.
As I said in other mock drafts, Denver will probably not use a 1st rounder on a TE. I don't think Putzier's level of production is a concern to them???
Denver's tough. They're actually a pretty balanced team. Any guesses of your own as to who they may take?

Arizona is one of those teams that if they don't shore up their O-line with an OT this season they should be kicked out of the NFL.

Leinart is going to pull an eli on NO... who would move up to get Leinart???
I've heard this speculation before, but where's the evidence?If he does... AZ, Detroit or Miami might work something out.

This from rotoworld:
Dennis Green asked for more patience regarding J.J. Arrington.

Impact: He compared Arrington to Thomas Jones, who only flourished when he left the desert. "You don't lead the nation in rushing (in college) unless you can run the rock," Green said. "Did he have a good year? No. Can bad habits kick in when you don't get blocking? Probably always." At least his coach isn't giving up on him.
:shrug:
I'm a fan of the Minnesota Vikings. I know two things for sure. 1) Dennis Green is a great liar.

2) He nearly always drafts "best player available". Whether or not that person is actually the BPA is another story.

As I said in other mock drafts, Denver will probably not use a 1st rounder on a TE. I don't think Putzier's level of production is a concern to them???
I have to agree with this. They have a lot of money wrapped up in Putzier--plus Duke is waiting in the wings to be the next big thing if he continues to develop.

I know Baltimore has done really well with the strict adherence to the "best player available" drafting strategy, regardless of position, but if they don't take an OT -- particularly if Winston Justice is available at #13 -- this year, Billick might not be the only member of the Ravens' front office whose neck is on the line.

Also, if Cincy gets Vernon Davis, their offense is going to be ridiculous. That guy is an absolute freak who is going to be a significantly better receiving TE than Heath Miller (and I'm a UVA fan who was pimping Miller this time a year ago).

Leinart is going to pull an eli on NO... who would move up to get Leinart???
Oakland?
Not Davis's M.O. They've only drafted a QB in the first round once (Todd Marinovich) and that failed miserably. They believe more in getting somebody else's castoff. I also think Andrew Walter (last years third round pick) may turn out to be good.

Also, if Cincy gets Vernon Davis, their offense is going to be ridiculous. That guy is an absolute freak who is going to be a significantly better receiving TE than Heath Miller (and I'm a UVA fan who was pimping Miller this time a year ago).
I had a tough time placing him. Even though his talent is exceptional, the teams above Cincy have more glaring needs than TE. TE doesn't seem to be viewed as a make or break position. Unless you run the Cleveland Browns.

Davis is done and Foster will be let go. This is a good fit for Maroney as the Panthers don’t pass to their backs that often.
Am curious to hear more about Eric Shelton's recovery. CAR did waste use a 2nd rounder on him last year...Shelton Article from 12/11

It's a good first effort, Andy. I've been following this draft closely, and trying to form educated opinions, but I have yet to attempt a mock (I'm going to wait for the 15th, declaration deadline). I had to grin at you going with Bush to Houston at 1.1 considering our past conversations. I tried so hard to talk you into the sense of that choice when you thought it was nuts, and now you're suggesting it, and I'm just not so sure. :D

Leinart has already said he wouldn't have a problem with New Orleans, and don't quote me here, but I'm pretty sure he suggested with everything the city has been through that it would be exciting and an honor to go there and try to help them win games. I also doubt that any Pete Carroll player will ever pull an Eli. I think that pick is an almost guarantee, but Young has to have them wondering. A new coach may have a completely different opinion of AB, whose benching angered much of the team, and Young could tutor under AB as well as McNair.

I think the Jets will be the first team to take a defensive player. That defense was on the field forever and Hawk Vilma could be playmaking LBs for years together. If not, I think DeAngelo Williams is a real threat to break the top 5 and be their consolation for not getting Reggie.

So, I think D'Brick is going to fall further than most. But I still think 6 or more OLs fall in the first round. So, you are one of the first to agree with that. :thumbsup:

Yeah, you probably have LenDale too low, and I'll be shocked if Maroney goes before him after last night.

I've also predicted Rod Wright falls to the 2nd round, so we agree with his omission.

Amid all the White>Bush and Young>Leinart hoopla from last night, I decided Huff>Williams, so my new prediction is the Huff is the first DB off the board. He is a baller. I am extremely impressed.

Finally, I think you have Vernon Davis too low. I'm not sold on him like I am Huff, as a player, but I know the Combine cranks up value for the workout studs, and his measureables will be incredible.

Thanks. Lots of food for thought.

1. Houston – Reggie Bush, RB

Cooler heads prevail and the Texans don’t take a risk with Young.

2. New Orleans – Matt Leinart, QB

Good luck signing him, though.

3. Tennessee – Vince Young, QB

Learns for a year behind McNair, then lights it up.

4. New York Jets – D’Brickashaw Ferguson, OT

Falls in their lap.

5. Green Bay - A. J. Hawk, LB

Bad defense gets better.

6. Oakland - Mario Williams, DE

Ditto.

7. San Francisco - Jimmy Williams, CB

Ditto again. Their D-backfield is a mess.

8. Buffalo – Haloti Ngata, DT

Every other mock has this. Why not me?.

9. Detroit - Marcus McNeill, OT

Helps out the bad offense big time. With a decent FA qb, their offense could be worth something next year.

11. St. Louis - Mathias Kiwanuka, DE

12. Cleveland – Broderick Bunkley, DT

13. Baltimore - Michael Huff, S

Paired with Ed Reed, yikes.

14. Philadelphia – Chad Greenway, LB

Defense still needs upgrading.

15. Atlanta - Tamba Hali, DE

16. Miami – Winston Justice, OT

17. Minnesota –Demeco Ryans, LB

I also like Jean-Giles here, but 3 LBs are UFAs this year and Ryans is the high character type guy the owner wants. RB will be addressed elsewhere in the draft or FA.

18. Dallas - Jon Scott, OT

Need a tackle, he's arguably the best left.

19. San Diego - Antonio Cromartie, CB

Move Jammer to safety.

20. Kansas City – D'Qwell Jackson, LB

May be a reach, but their still lacking on the D side.

21. New England - Laron Landry, S

Secondary needs help.

22. Denver - Marcedes Lewis, TE

Putzier is not the answer.

23. Tampa Bay - Eric Winston, OT

25. Chicago - Leonard Pope, TE

Big time help to a pathetic offense.

26. Cincinnati - Vernon Davis, TE

The rich get richer on offense.

27. Pittsburgh - Lendale White, RB

27. New York Giants – Claude Wroten, DT

29. Jacksonville - Tye Hill, CB

30. Denver – Santonio Holmes, WR

Lelie is a bust and Holmes is the best in the draft.

31. Seattle - Max Jean-Gilles, OG

And Mike Holmgren suits himself up and runs for 1000 behind that line. Their starting RG has been in the league 13 years. How much is left?

32. Indianapolis – Chad Jackson, WR

Will they re-sign Wayne?.

:shrug: Let the savagery begin. And don't go to Vegas with this.
Thanks and nice job.Now for the picks...HOU will not take Bush and Young will not go #1. Someone will move to #1 to take Leinart.

MLB's do not get drafted that high and Hawk will not go at 5.

ARI has so many needs but Williams at 10 is a reach

Williams to SF is not a good fit as he may be a FS and they have enough tweeners. Huff may be a much better pick for them even though S's like MLB's and OG, usually can be had much later.

Tom

who in their right mind would want to go to NO?? the team sux, the town is in shambles, mgt is horrible...Saban will not move to get Leinart...AZ????Is it possible for Leinart to do a Rodgers and fall???

The Saints would be better off drafting DBrickshaw (as long as they resign L. Bentley) and sign a UFA QB vet who can get the ball to Horn, Stallpepper and D. henderson. Of course it ALL depends on who they con into coaching this team.

Don't think Philly would take a LB in the 1st. My bets are on an OL especially if some talent falls due to depth at the position. I think Runyan is a UFA and would take Justice if he fell to them.

Hawk is an OLB, and he's looked studly all year. Williams may be a reach for the Carsds, but I don't think he's a reach anywhere in the top 10.

Don't think Philly would take a LB in the 1st. My bets are on an OL especially if some talent falls due to depth at the position. I think Runyan is a UFA and would take Justice if he fell to them.
I DON'T want to start a new thread since draft threads are everywhere, but I have a question. rifkin thinks Philly will go OL. Which teams have offensive line as their top priority?

I'll start with Dallas and Tampa Bay.

Thanks and nice job.

Now for the picks...HOU will not take Bush and Young will not go #1. Someone will move to #1 to take Leinart.
Thanks for the feedback.I agree. After last night, the #1 pick became more valuable to the Texans as I'm sure it's more coveted than before for some teams. However, if they stay at that spot, the Texans would take Bush.

Normally, you're right. But in 2000, Arrington (2), Urlacher (9), and Abraham (13) were at the top of the draft. It all comes down to need. And GB needs playmakers on defense.
I can agree with the "need" thing, but how can Williams be considered a reach?
Williams to SF is not a good fit as he may be a FS and they have enough tweeners. Huff may be a much better pick for them even though S's like MLB's and OG, usually can be had much later.
Williams is a converted safety, built like one too that runs like a corner (4.47 40 time). Regardless, just about anyone is an upgrade on that unit. :yucky:

I DON'T want to start a new thread since draft threads are everywhere, but I have a question.  rifkin thinks Philly will go OL.

Which teams have offensive line as their top priority?

Houston (duh) and Minnesota. I'm intrigued by Max Jean-Gilles. If the Vikings put him on their line with McKinnie and a returning Matt Birk, they could really have something. Especially if Marcus Johnson develops to his potential.

Carolina actually throws a lot to their backs.  Foster and Going combined for about 50 catches the last 2 years.  I think Maroney will be fine catching the ball though.
I guess I mean they're no Philadelphia or San Diego in this regard.
As I said in other mock drafts, Denver will probably not use a 1st rounder on a TE.  I don't think Putzier's level of production is a concern to them???
Denver's tough. They're actually a pretty balanced team. Any guesses of your own as to who they may take?
With needs all across the D-line, you can bet one of their picks will go there.

I DON'T want to start a new thread since draft threads are everywhere, but I have a question.  rifkin thinks Philly will go OL.

Houston (duh) and Minnesota. I'm intrigued by Max Jean-Gilles. If the Vikings put him on their line with McKinnie and a returning Matt Birk, they could really have something.
Wouldnt make much sense unless they are going to give up on last years 2nd rounder, Marcus Johnson.

Houston (duh) and Minnesota. I'm intrigued by Max Jean-Gilles. If the Vikings put him on their line with McKinnie and a returning Matt Birk, they could really have something.
Wouldnt make much sense unless they are going to give up on last years 2nd rounder, Marcus Johnson.
Why wouldn't they use both? :confused: Herrera, Goldberg, and Liwienski all had terrible years.

Nice job. If Greenway is there for Clev. they better take him. I heard Romeo in an interview today and he said they "need to get a pass rusher, and in the 3-4 defense that usually comes from the OLB." Sounds like they will be looking at LB in the draft I bet.

Nice job.

If Greenway is there for Clev. they better take him. I heard Romeo in an interview today and he said they "need to get a pass rusher, and in the 3-4 defense that usually comes from the OLB." Sounds like they will be looking at LB in the draft I bet.
Bunkley led the nation's interior linemen this year with 9 sacks and had 23 career tackles for loss.

True. The last LB to go top 5 was Arrington. Most studly LB's go in the 10-15 range including guys like Vilma, Urlacher (#9), etc. I like Hawk, but top 5 may be too tall and order considering recent history.

True. The last LB to go top 5 was Arrington. Most studly LB's go in the 10-15 range including guys like Vilma, Urlacher (#9), etc. I like Hawk, but top 5 may be too tall and order considering recent history.
Again this is true. But Vilma slipped to the middle of the first due to injury concerns. Urlacher would have been higher, but he was from a smaller shool and played at SS before being converted to LB.

Why wouldn't they use both? :confused: Herrera, Goldberg, and Liwienski all had terrible years.
Just because Lewinski and Goldberg had terrible years doesnt mean they'll be replaced. They are both NFL-caliber starters. WR, TE, RB, LB all need addressing much more than OG.

Nice job.

If Greenway is there for Clev. they better take him.  I heard Romeo in an interview today and he said they "need to get a pass rusher, and in the 3-4 defense that usually comes from the OLB." Sounds like they will be looking at LB in the draft I bet.
Bunkley led the nation's interior linemen this year with 9 sacks and had 23 career tackles for loss.
what type of system was he in. a DT in romeos def needs to be stout against the run. thats why he said, the pass rush usually comes from the OLB

Just because Lewinski and Goldberg had terrible years doesnt mean they'll be replaced. They are both NFL-caliber starters. WR, TE, RB, LB all need addressing much more than OG.
WR and TE would not be addressed in the first round, though. And what's wrong with TE? Kleinsasser and Wiggins aren't good enough?

I agree that LB is probably a better pick. I just said I was intrigued by Jean-Gilles.

Well. So much for Wroten in the first.LSU DE Wroten Jr. arrested on drug charges

STERLINGTON, La. -- LSU defensive end Claude Wroten Jr. was arrested on a drug charge after police stopped him for speeding and found marijuana in his car, authorities said Thursday.Wroten, 22, of Bastrop, was booked late Wednesday for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and was released on $3,000 bond from the Ouachita Correctional Center, police said.Officers stopped Wroten on U.S. 165 around 11:35 p.m. Wednesday just north of Sterlington High School, Police Chief Barry Bonner said. He was clocked at 77 mph in a 65 mph zone, Bonner said.When asked if he had anything illegal in the car, Bonner said Wroten admitted having marijuana for personal consumption. Officers found one bag inside the car in plain view and discovered another tucked in his shoe.Wroten also had $4,000 in cash, which he said was a loan from his financial adviser to prepare for NFL training, the chief said. Police were unable to immediately contact the adviser, whose name was not released.Wroten, a senior, played on the LSU team that defeated the University of Miami in the Dec. 20 Peach Bowl. Wroten was credited with 45 tackles and five sacks this season. Early NFL draft predictions had Wroten being picked in early rounds.He could not be reached for comment. His father, Claude Wroten Sr., answered the phone at the family's home in Bastrop on Thursday."I believe he was set up because Claude is not a drug dealer," the elder Wroten said in an interview with The Associated Press. "But that's what happens when kids don't listen to their parents."Wroten's father said he and his wife had been discussing their son's future with an agent, whom he wouldn't name, but Claude Jr. decided to go his own way. "He was talking to some fellow in New York who opened his eyes so wide," he said. "When he started making his own decisions, this is what happened."The Wrotens said they had not yet spoken with their son, who lives with them. He said he did not know if an attorney had been assigned to the case and was unsure what would happen next.LSU Sports Information Director Michael Bonnette said Wroten had completed his athletic eligibility.

But won't NE be drafting after PIT? 31? 32? ;) But I agree with the NE discussion after this. NE will draft a RB, but will wait unti lthe 3/4 rounds. Even the year they signed Dillon and drafted the "heir", Cedric Cobbs, they waited until the later rounds (RD4 IIRC). Same thing will happen this year. Bellichik will draft Defense in RDs 1 & 2, then look for value at RB in 3 or 4...

:twocents:

Users who are viewing this thread