What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anthony Gonzalez (1 Viewer)

packersfan

Footballguy
Gonzalez could very easily be the No. 2 WR for the Colts for the remainder of the season with Harrison still hurt. He's coming off a very good game against a bad Atlanta team last week, finishing with a team-high 6 catches for 105 yards. That was easily his best game of the season. He was pretty nondescript in his other starts, catching more than 1 pass in a start just once (7-71-0 in Week 5 against Tampa Bay).

As a starter in place of Harrison, Gonzalez has had two good games and three poor ones. He's shown the typical inconsistency most rookie WRs display in the NFL. So he's hardly a guarantee to follow in the success of Dwayne Bowe or to a lesser extent Calvin Johnson - who both have been viable fantasy options at times this season (Bowe pretty consistently since becoming a starter). His upcoming schedule is:

Week 13: vs. Jacksonville

Week 14: at Baltimore

Week 15: at Oakland

Week 16: vs. Houston

Week 17: vs. Tennessee

The Colts will be facing three strong rush defenses in the final five games, which should result in plenty of passing. So the matchups ahead look good. He's also in a great situation as far as the offensive talent, system and obviously the QB. The downside is he's only a rookie and it could be argued he's just the third option in the passing game even though he's a starter (behind Wayne and Clark). And the biggest potential obstacle would be a return by Harrison. Even if Harrison returns in limited fashion, it would be enough to knock Gonzalez off the radar in all probability since he'd be reduced to being no better than the No. 4 option in the passing game.

But if Harrison doesn't return until the playoffs, the road ahead looks good on paper for Gonzalez to potentially be a decent WR3 at worst. It's difficult to believe a starting WR in the Colts offense couldn't be of some help if he has some decent talent (and Gonzalez does). So what do the FBGers think about this kid? Anybody gambling on him in larger leagues, thinking he might provide some helpful late-season production?

Thoughts?

he could pay off for his owners. I've picked him up in a few leagues and am debating in others. I think he's finally starting to 'get it.'

I think he's a solid start against Jax if Mathis is covering Wayne.

Last edited by a moderator:
im gonna go ahead and start the guy at flex over kolby smith this week. i think he should be good for 6-80 with the high possiblilty for a touchdown.

He's a work in progress on a team that needs him to produce. If progress is 6 rec for 105 yards, then I like his chances. The fact that Manning seems to have a growing confidence in him is also a good sign. The entire Colts passing game looks good this week. Star CB Rashean Mathis is inactive and the Jags haven't exactly been impressive in the pass defense dept. of late. 285.2 yards passing allowed in their last five games. This should be a big game for Manning and Co.

Gonzalez could very easily be the No. 2 WR for the Colts for the remainder of the season with Harrison still hurt. He's coming off a very good game against a bad Atlanta team last week, finishing with a team-high 6 catches for 105 yards. That was easily his best game of the season. He was pretty nondescript in his other starts, catching more than 1 pass in a start just once (7-71-0 in Week 5 against Tampa Bay).As a starter in place of Harrison, Gonzalez has had two good games and three poor ones. He's shown the typical inconsistency most rookie WRs display in the NFL. So he's hardly a guarantee to follow in the success of Dwayne Bowe or to a lesser extent Calvin Johnson - who both have been viable fantasy options at times this season (Bowe pretty consistently since becoming a starter). His upcoming schedule is:Week 13: vs. JacksonvilleWeek 14: at BaltimoreWeek 15: at OaklandWeek 16: vs. HoustonWeek 17: vs. TennesseeThe Colts will be facing three strong rush defenses in the final five games, which should result in plenty of passing. So the matchups ahead look good. He's also in a great situation as far as the offensive talent, system and obviously the QB. The downside is he's only a rookie and it could be argued he's just the third option in the passing game even though he's a starter (behind Wayne and Clark). And the biggest potential obstacle would be a return by Harrison. Even if Harrison returns in limited fashion, it would be enough to knock Gonzalez off the radar in all probability since he'd be reduced to being no better than the No. 4 option in the passing game.But if Harrison doesn't return until the playoffs, the road ahead looks good on paper for Gonzalez to potentially be a decent WR3 at worst. It's difficult to believe a starting WR in the Colts offense couldn't be of some help if he has some decent talent (and Gonzalez does). So what do the FBGers think about this kid? Anybody gambling on him in larger leagues, thinking he might provide some helpful late-season production?Thoughts?
I actually think he has it easy the rest of the season..Indy's place in the playoffs will be set by their win or loss to Jax, most likely. So, if they win they have a 1 game lead on the Jags..We know Dungy rests his guys in weeks 15/16, if they're ahead in the div race and not likely to gain or lose a spot..beating Jags this weekend goes a long way towards that.If they win, AG will see MORE action down the stretch, because they'll rest Wayne and Harrison.Also, looking at the next two games, both Jax and Balt. have good defenses, each will probably be focused on stopping Wayne and Clark and the running game..that leaves AG open, or at least in single-man coverage.Baltimore's secondary is exceptionally good when healthy, so I'd expect them to double R. Wayne.playing Houston and Oakland is a breeze...Addai and Keith will get their stats, and AG should be open all day long with the Raiders and Houston focused Wayne.Clark, et al.I don't think Marvin sees the playing field again in the regular season,except maybe for a half of a game, or so..they want him 100% ready for the eventual meeting with NE in the Championship Game.so AG will be used extensively over the next 4-5 weeks, ala Wes Welker...I think AG is money down the stretch

Tough not to like him, I don't want to have too much confidence in any rookie WR, but Peyton looked his way plenty last week and he came through...meaning he has earned Peyton's trust. I'm not sure how I feel about him against Jacksonville, but as long as Harrison is out I'd expect Gonzalez to be a solid start as your 3rd WR, upside as a #2WR.

Just picked him up..

I like what Tanner said, I think that is some great posting and completey agree.

I'm also considering starting him this week... I think he could be good for 6/80 with the possibility for a TD too

Gonzalez has rewarded his fantasy owners in a big way tonight. So far he has 5 receptions for 124 yards and 2 TDs. He's now had two big games in his last three starting for Harrison. He's looking like a nice WR3 from here on out.

People think he's going to continue being a viable fantasy option?
I think he has solid WR3 potential (he obviously produced much better than that last night). Manning is looking for him more and last night they added deep routes to his playbook and that enhances his fantasy potential even more. I see no reason to fear any of the remaining matchups and even if Harrison returns it will probably be for just limited action in one game. I don't think we see Marvin play more than a half the rest of the regular season - assuming he plays at all (and I'd say the chances of him sitting completely are quite high).Polian said last night he doesn't expect Harrison to play in Week 15. So Gonzalez gets another week as a starter at least. I think he's become a very viable WR3.

People think he's going to continue being a viable fantasy option?
I think he has solid WR3 potential (he obviously produced much better than that last night). Manning is looking for him more and last night they added deep routes to his playbook and that enhances his fantasy potential even more. I see no reason to fear any of the remaining matchups and even if Harrison returns it will probably be for just limited action in one game. I don't think we see Marvin play more than a half the rest of the regular season - assuming he plays at all (and I'd say the chances of him sitting completely are quite high).Polian said last night he doesn't expect Harrison to play in Week 15. So Gonzalez gets another week as a starter at least. I think he's become a very viable WR3.
I am in the final four in one league and I don't have a #3 I am comfortable with. Gonzalez is out there and you'd have to think Manning will have a little more confidence in him. He's the third option in the passing game behind Dallas and Reggie but he does appear to have some skills. I might have to look at him this week.

Anyone else concerned about Oakland's especially weak run defense and think the Colts will look more to their running game this week?

As a Manning owner, I picked him up just to keep my playoff opponents from snagging him and stealing points.

I don't think he'll see the field ahead of Owens and Jennings though.

Anyone else concerned about Oakland's especially weak run defense and think the Colts will look more to their running game this week?
Yes, but I'm also thinking there may be plenty of passing yards to accompany the rushing. Favre did well last week, as did Grant.

Yeah, but Manning should still be good for 240 and 2 TD's. They'll be aggressive early. If all the early TD's are rushing, then uh-oh.

Gonzalez could be a nice option even if the rout is on. Last week his touchdowns came with the Colts up 30-7 and 37-7. I am starting him over Lee Evans potentially. I think it's a good move, especially with the potential weather issues facing the Bills offense.

I see the game going very similar to last week for the Colts. They'll be up at least 20 at the half. With Harrison's knee still causing concern, why wouldn't they want to get Gonzalez the ball. He may be needed come playoff time and we all know Peyton is all about working on the timing.

How do you guys compare Gonzalez to guys like Coles or Chambers? Coles is hurt and has a tough schedule down the stretch.

How do you guys compare Gonzalez to guys like Coles or Chambers? Coles is hurt and has a tough schedule down the stretch.
I like him over both options. Chambers might be good this week though because Detroits secondary is so week. But with Rivers' injury, I'd probably lean toward Gonzo.

I like him over both options. Chambers might be good this week though because Detroits secondary is so week. But with Rivers' injury, I'd probably lean toward Gonzo.
agreed. personally, i would be surprised to see coles suit up. he's determined to play every week, but i think the jets hold him out of this one. no chance of winning, but a great chance of further injuring his already gimpy ankle. chambers is useless most of the time.

I'm considering playing Gonzalez over Kevin Curtis and Steve Smith this week.. I love the playoffs! Anybody in a similar situation?

I think there are better options like Patten, Muhammad, and Walter this week. Gonzalez hasn't played well against good Ds, and Oak has a pretty good secondary.

Don't know why but my opponent in a start 3 wr league just picked him up and is playing him. For some reason, I love that he did this. The guy just had a 38 point fantasy monster game....is a rookie....playing a team with good pass coverage.....a team that has been dominated in the run game....and is the third option in the passing game. I personally don't see him as a game changer this week....my opponent also has Addai, that's the guy I'm worried about. My 2 cents.

It's not apples to apples, but Reggie Wayne started 9 games his rookie season posting a high game of 78 yards and had 0 TDs on the season. Anthony Gonzalez's early success would seem to be a good indication that he's a legit talent. Dynasty wise his potential is obviously huge. Redraft I'd feel comfortable ranking him as a WR2 with upside.

I think there are better options like Patten, Muhammad, and Walter this week. Gonzalez hasn't played well against good Ds, and Oak has a pretty good secondary.
Well, I was wrong. At least I came to my senses later in the week and played him over Muhammad and Walter. I saw him play poorly early in the year and judged prematurely. I think this kid's going to do alright.

Users who are viewing this thread