What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anthony Gonzalez (1 Viewer)

moleculo

Footballguy
AGonzo has been very hit or miss all season - more miss than hit.

With the Thursday night game, we need a decision on all Colts sooner rather than later. Is AGonzo startable?

Of course, the answer is "depends who he is starting over" Let's just say - "is he startable as a WR3 or last flex position?"

Defensively, the Jags are middle of the road in points allowed to WR's, so no definitive answer looking at the match-up. The Colts - they are pretty hard to read too. One week they only score 10 vs CLE, the next week they hang 35 on Cincy. I simply can't get a feel for what this team is all about. They are playing to clinch a wild card spot, so they've got that going for them.

Right now, I'm leaning towards "if you've got better options, go with them", but I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

AGonzo has been very hit or miss all season - more miss than hit.With the Thursday night game, we need a decision on all Colts sooner rather than later. Is AGonzo startable?Of course, the answer is "depends who he is starting over" Let's just say - "is he startable as a WR3 or last flex position?"Defensively, the Jags are middle of the road in points allowed to WR's, so no definitive answer looking at the match-up. The Colts - they are pretty hard to read too. One week they only score 10 vs CLE, the next week they hang 35 on Cincy. I simply can't get a feel for what this team is all about. They are playing to clinch a wild card spot, so they've got that going for them.Right now, I'm leaning towards "if you've got better options, go with them", but I'm not sure.Thoughts?
Manning threw for 300 last week and Gonzo had 6 yards, that's concerning. I'm rolling with Holt instead this week.

I might roll the dice this week. If I were the Colts, I'd play a lot of 3 WRs this week because Rashean Mathis is done for the year. So, he'd have a matchup with at best the Jags' 4th best CB. I'd take my chances with that matchup.

AGonzo has been very hit or miss all season - more miss than hit.With the Thursday night game, we need a decision on all Colts sooner rather than later. Is AGonzo startable?Of course, the answer is "depends who he is starting over" Let's just say - "is he startable as a WR3 or last flex position?"Defensively, the Jags are middle of the road in points allowed to WR's, so no definitive answer looking at the match-up. The Colts - they are pretty hard to read too. One week they only score 10 vs CLE, the next week they hang 35 on Cincy. I simply can't get a feel for what this team is all about. They are playing to clinch a wild card spot, so they've got that going for them.Right now, I'm leaning towards "if you've got better options, go with them", but I'm not sure.Thoughts?
Manning threw for 300 last week and Gonzo had 6 yards, that's concerning. I'm rolling with Holt instead this week.
They played a lot of 2 TE sets last week. As I explained in my post above, I think they'll go 3 WR a lot tomorrow.

What is the outlook on him for next year? Will his role/production increase?
It depends on what the Colts do with Marvin next year. He's scheduled to make over $10 million in salary next year - so he either will get cut or re-structured. That is why no one really knows yet.

I don't know the breakdown from last week, but 2 weeks ago he had 3 catches on 3 targets but only played six downs.

That's not good.

I don't know the breakdown from last week, but 2 weeks ago he had 3 catches on 3 targets but only played six downs.That's not good.
last week he got in on 2 offensive plays. Even worst then week before!Here is what i think. If Harrison is out play him. If Harrison plays don't!

Just scrolled down the screen on ESPN that Harrison is out thursday. Gonna roll with Gonz as my #3.

Just scrolled down the screen on ESPN that Harrison is out thursday. Gonna roll with Gonz as my #3.
I still think playing him is a big risk. He has had 7 TOTAL targets the last 3 weeks. Part of it is because he hasn't been on the field much, but it also tells me he's not close to 100%. He's had hammy & shoulder problems most of the year and has been playing through this. Not only that, but even with Harrison out he'll be third fiddle behind Wayne & Clark, and the Jags are not the Lions. Of course there's a chance he has a big game with Harrison out, but I think it's more likely he'll end up with mediocre numbers. If he hasn't been able to outperform an over-the-hill Harrison to this point, there is nothing that makes me think he'll finally bust out tomorrow night.I'll be staying away myself..

My answer is no, he's not. If he couldn't get a single point versus the Lions when Peyton Manning passed for over 300 yards, how is he startable the very next week?

With Harrison out, Gonzalez definitely starts for me over Lee Evans.
Strongly considering to start him over Owens this week!
Wow......I wouldn't start Gonzalez over Owens or Lee Evans. Lee Evans is playing Denver, if the weather is OK that could be a shootout.Ya, Baltimore is good but if Dallas wins that game, I could see Owens getting 80 yards and a TD and 5 to 7 recetptions.Like I said before, Gonzalez didn't even get 10 yards last week. If Harrison is out......he's replacing a guy who got 22 yards last week. Gonzalez would be the 3rd option in the passing game at best, a distant 3rd behind Wayne and Clark.You are seriously rolling the dice starting Gonzalez and I wouldn't call starting Gonzalez a strong option. Good luck though, I hope I'm wrong for you guys.

I'm likely starting him over SHolmes and Hixon.

The only reason he hasn't put up WR2 numbers is because he is hardly ever on the field as a WR3. In one of my leagues he is only 3 fantasy points behind Harrison (even though he has seen hundreds of fewer snaps) and there haven't been that many people who viewed Harrison as a bad WR3 most of the year.

Not to hi-jack but.... With Harrison out is Manning still a solid play. I could play Rivers @ TB
With Harrison out both A Gonzalez and Dallas Clark are solid plays. Clark is actually more in the mix than Gonzalez it seems.I wouldn't worry too much about starting Peyton.
:nerd: This is just a theory of mine, but I think Marvin Harrison is similar to Reggie Bush in the that they are both big names, but I think both the Colts and the Saints offenses run better and more efficiently without those guys.Both teams seem to go out of their way to feature guys who aren't all that effective and it really limits/bogs down each team's offense when they do that.I'm not sure I'd start any QB over Manning this week, I think Clark and Gonzo's values go up this week and I think the really big beneficiary in Harrison being out will be Reggie Wayne who should see 10+ targets(look what he did last year against the Jags without Harrison around) also I expect them to(assuming Addai is healthy) use some 2-RB sets to keep the Jags off balance since both Addai and Rhodes are pretty good pass catchers.To the original topic, I think Gonzalez is a solid start this week and I'll predict something like 5-75-1.

I'm starting Gonzo as my third WR this week. I wouldn't worry about last week - they rarely went to 3 WR sets last week, that is why he didn't do well. That isn't an issue this week now. The Jags don't have their top corner for this game - and the Colts running game is still way below average - they will throw and throw well tonighit.

Wow......I wouldn't start Gonzalez over Owens or Lee Evans. Lee Evans is playing Denver, if the weather is OK that could be a shootout.Ya, Baltimore is good but if Dallas wins that game, I could see Owens getting 80 yards and a TD and 5 to 7 recetptions.

Like I said before, Gonzalez didn't even get 10 yards last week. If Harrison is out......he's replacing a guy who got 22 yards last week. Gonzalez would be the 3rd option in the passing game at best, a distant 3rd behind Wayne and Clark.

You are seriously rolling the dice starting Gonzalez and I wouldn't call starting Gonzalez a strong option. Good luck though, I hope I'm wrong for you guys.
3 words. J P Losman. I don't trust him at all after last week's debacle. I'm starting Gonzo over Lee Evans.

Here is a comparison of Harrison and Gonzo2 for those keeping score:

Code:
Marvin Harrison  53 605 11.4 67 5 Anthony Gonzalez  52 614 11.8 58 4
About dead even despite Gonzo getting significantly less snaps this year. So if you thought Harrison was a viable WR3 option you have to love Gonzo's chances tonight to help you bring home that Championship banner.

I am trying to decide if I should play him.... I have santonio holmes, chester taylor and derrick ward....one of these guys is my flex....gonzo is a bit of a reach but with Harrison out I can't decide.....

Wow......I wouldn't start Gonzalez over Owens or Lee Evans. Lee Evans is playing Denver, if the weather is OK that could be a shootout.Ya, Baltimore is good but if Dallas wins that game, I could see Owens getting 80 yards and a TD and 5 to 7 recetptions.

Like I said before, Gonzalez didn't even get 10 yards last week. If Harrison is out......he's replacing a guy who got 22 yards last week. Gonzalez would be the 3rd option in the passing game at best, a distant 3rd behind Wayne and Clark.

You are seriously rolling the dice starting Gonzalez and I wouldn't call starting Gonzalez a strong option. Good luck though, I hope I'm wrong for you guys.
3 words. J P Losman. I don't trust him at all after last week's debacle. I'm starting Gonzo over Lee Evans.
J. P Lost-man is now the 3rd string QB, Edwards is due to start, but if he tweaks the groin, in comes Gibran Hamdan...good luck!

Geeez

I grabbed Gonzo off waivers on the notion Harrison would probably be out but I am having a horrible time deciding to play him over either VJax or Ike Bruce

Is health a concern at all with AG? What have his numbers been like with Marv being out on avg?

2007:

Home vs JAX:

AGonzo: DNP

Harrison: 3-16-0

@ Jax:

AGonzo: 1-22-0

Harrison: DNP

2008:

Home vs JAX:

AGonzo: 2-27-0

Harrison: 4-40-1

Neither AGonzo nor Harrison has lit up JAX over the past couple of years. In 2006, Harrison did ok.

Users who are viewing this thread