What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Gates injury updates (1 Viewer)

WarRedbirds

Footballguy
San Diego Union Tribune

The validity of those aspirations might hinge largely on news today regarding tight end Antonio Gates.

Gates leaving the stadium on crutches with a foot injury that could sideline him at least a week put a cloud over yesterday's conquest.

The Chargers will know more today after Gates has an MRI. Until then, they have hope for the health of their big playmaker and they have the knowledge they can play a complete game.
Air Marty takes off – but needs healthy Gates
The Gates thing could be far more serious. The All-Pro tight end left the field with 9:01 to play in the third quarter after catching a 21-yard pass from Brees. It appeared as if Buffalo linebacker Angelo Crowell's helmet landed on Gates' lower right leg.

Gates, who left the field under his own power with five catches for 77 yards and a score, was carted to the locker room for X-rays. He left the stadium with his foot in a boot and using crutches.

Asked about Gates' condition, Schottenheimer said: "I really don't know at this point. I know it's his foot. At this point I'm not exactly sure. They will have to do some diagnostic testing (an MRI exam today) and all that."

Just a gut feeling from a guy with no knowledge: It isn't good.

If Gates' injury is severe – it would be surprising if Gates were to play at Washington on Sunday, but Schottenheimer no doubt will list him as "questionable" – then the Chargers' chances of playing in January are going to diminish. If you don't replace an All-Pro with another All-Pro, you're not as good at that position. Period.
Injuries:
Injuries:

Chargers tight end Antonio Gates suffered a sprained right foot against the Bills. The former Kent State basketball star was hurt when he was tackled after catching a 21-yard pass from Drew Brees midway through the third quarter.
Notebook: Gates' injury concerning
Notebook: Gates' injury concerning

12:25 AM PST on Monday, November 21, 2005

JIM ALEXANDER

SAN DIEGO - There was one downside to the Chargers' rousing victory over Buffalo on Sunday, and it could be a significant one.

Tight end Antonio Gates suffered an injured right foot in the third quarter, left the game for treatment and did not return.

In the immediate aftermath of the game, Gates' injury was diagnosed as a sprain, but his availability for next week's game in Washington will be a source of concern all week.

"He was struggling a little bit to get up and he was in some pain," LaDainian Tomlinson said.

"But I'll say Antonio (a former college basketball player at Kent State) has become a football player. We used to tease him when he first came in about how basketball players would get a tweaked ankle and be out for a week or two. 'Hey, this is football. You've got to play with it.'

"He's a tough guy. I expect him to be OK."

Last edited by a moderator:
:( Basically we're all screwed.
It's early Monday so I'll simplify what we know.Gates hurt his foot.

He didn't brake his foot.

The doctor are going to look closely at his foot.

We don't know if Gates will play this week and if Schottenheimer is a decent head coach, sure as Hell won't tell the Redskins weather he's playing or not.

Some reporter who admittedly has "no knowledge" about this thinks it's not good.

I think the answer will lie in the official injury report. If he's Questionable and/or a GTD I think he'll play as that would mean its probably not an injury he can reinjure and it will depend if he can play with the pain. Knowing how important this game is for SD I think he would play. If he is Doubtful or Out then obvously its not good.

As a Gates owner I don't want to hear the following expressions: "Lis Francs" "Achilles injury", or "High Ankle Sprain". :Elaine Benis Voice: Get well, get well soon, we want you to get well. :Elaine Benis Voice:

As a Gates owner I don't want to hear the following expressions: "Lis Francs" "Achilles injury", or "High Ankle Sprain".

:Elaine Benis Voice: Get well, get well soon, we want you to get well. :Elaine Benis Voice:
Add: "stress fracture"

As a Gates owner I don't want to hear the following expressions:  "Lis Francs"  "Achilles injury", or "High Ankle Sprain". 

:Elaine Benis Voice:  Get well, get well soon, we want you to get well. :Elaine Benis Voice:
add plantar fascia

As a Gates owner I don't want to hear the following expressions:  "Lis Francs"  "Achilles injury", or "High Ankle Sprain". 

:Elaine Benis Voice:  Get well, get well soon, we want you to get well. :Elaine Benis Voice:
They did an XRay and it came up negative. Can it still be that?

add plantar fascia
Im pretty sure you cant get this injury from a single incident but its one that happens with wear and tear. I could be wrong.

Not "new" news, I don't think, but this from rotoworld: The Chargers announced TE Antonio Gates' injury as a sprained foot, but there is reportedly concern that it is more significant. X-rays were negative, but Gates will have an MRI today.

Lisfranc's is one word.
One word, two words, it still sound painfull as heck.Looks like owning both Gates & Witten is going to make for an interesting Thursday morning.

Lisfranc's is one word.
One word, two words, it still sound painfull as heck.Looks like owning both Gates & Witten is going to make for an interesting Thursday morning.
Or Turf Toe.(I don't think it is but ya never know)

Just when SD looked to be taking off too.

IF no Gates, McCardell's value goes sky high again

I hope that Gates doesn't play for a week or two. I want him back healthy, sort of like hoping for Thomas Jones to sit out - it helped him. I've dealt with McNabb, Dillon, T Jones, and Andre Johnson this year. My patience is good with injuries by now! At 7-3, I'm in the playoffs regardless and thus hoping for a monster Gates starting week 14!!

With Gates size and speed I a very concerned about a foot injury of any kind. They tend to linger!

Lisfranc's is one word.
#####, is something (other than having to block more than ever) wrong with Witten now? Didn't see any injury report on him.... :confused:

Updating ongoing reports, Jay Posner, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers TE Antonio Gates (foot) had X-rays on his injured foot and the results were negative. Gates will undergo an MRI Monday, Nov. 21, but head coach Marty Schottenheimer is "not exactly sure" what Gates' status will be for Week 12. Gates left the stadium with his foot in a protective boot and was using crutches to get around.

He is going to be out at least two weeks for sure after seeing him writhe in pain (refrain from the Carnac/Chloe comments). Big guys like Gates + foot injuries are not good. We lived that in So Cal with Shaq..

I take responsibility for this one: Yesterday morning, I said to myself "Boy, I'd be f'ed without Gates going into the playoffs".Sorry.

I take responsibility for this one: Yesterday morning, I said to myself "Boy, I'd be f'ed without Gates going into the playoffs".

Sorry.
Thanks for admitting it at least. Jermaine Wiggins, grab your helmet, you're back in the line up...

San Diego radio reporting high ankle sprain and slight tear to his toe :o - could be out 2-3 weeks - if not more.
Thanks AP. With Peele's shoulder injury, Ryan Krause might be a decent replacement. Other TEs that might be available on the wire:Kinney

Dallas Clark

Watson

Ben Troupe

Alex Smith

Graham

C. Anderson

Desmond Clark

Kinney is taken in my league, looking at the rest- but nobody can adequately replace Gates in my lineup.

edited- forgot Watson.

This is what CBS has for Krause:

LATEST NEWS

The Chargers will be without the services of TE Ryan Krause (foot) against Buffalo in Week 11. He is listed as out on the NFL's official injury report.

(Updated 11/17/2005).

FANTASY ANALYSIS

Krause has no value in Fantasy football leagues.

More News

INJURY REPORT

Foot - Out for Week 11 vs. Buffalo

(Updated - 11/16/05)

Anyone know if he'll be back this week?

This blows. Hope he's back in time for the playoffs. I have Watson on the bench and he's done well.Who benefits from Gate's absence thought? McCardell? LT?

This is what CBS has for Krause:

LATEST NEWS

The Chargers will be without the services of TE Ryan Krause (foot) against Buffalo in Week 11. He is listed as out on the NFL's official injury report.

(Updated 11/17/2005).

FANTASY ANALYSIS

Krause has no value in Fantasy football leagues.

More News

INJURY REPORT

Foot - Out for Week 11 vs. Buffalo

(Updated - 11/16/05)

Anyone know if he'll be back this week?
No, but the only other TE on their roster is Landon Trusty. Looks like they got him from the Cowboys back in May.
Player Profile

Landon Trusty

Tight End

6'7"

Central Arkansas

NFL: Rookie

Cowboys: Rookie

COLLEGE: A two-time academic All-America and All-South Region selection at Central Arkansas, Landon Trusty finished his collegiate career as the only two-time winner of the school�s Male Student-Athlete of the Year totaling 78 receptions for 1,062 yards and 20 touchdowns. As a senior, he hauled in 18 passes for 190 yards and three scores. He caught a career-high 24 passes for 387 yards and six touchdowns as a junior. As a sophomore, Trusty posted 20 catches for 269 yards and eight scores. As a true freshman, he caught 16 passes for 216 yards and three touchdowns.

PERSONAL: Trusty played quarterback and punted at Hot Springs Lakeside High School in Hot Springs, Ark. He was named MVP of the Arkansas High School All-Star Basketball Game. A four-year starter on Central Arkansas� football team, Trusty also started as a freshman and sophomore on the school's basketball squad. Trusty and his wife, Erica, have a daughter, Madison.

San Diego radio reporting high ankle sprain and slight tear to his toe  :o   - could be out 2-3 weeks - if not more.
Thanks AP. With Peele's shoulder injury, Ryan Krause might be a decent replacement. Other TEs that might be available on the wire:Kinney

Dallas Clark

Watson

Ben Troupe

Alex Smith

Graham

C. Anderson

Desmond Clark

Kinney is taken in my league, looking at the rest- but nobody can adequately replace Gates in my lineup.

edited- forgot Watson.
There isn't a TE in the league that can adequately replace Gates on anyone's roster.

This is pretty much the final whammy on my team. Not only do I own Gates but Brees is my starting QB and I just dont see him being very effective without Gates.

This is pretty much the final whammy on my team. Not only do I own Gates but Brees is my starting QB and I just dont see him being very effective without Gates.
Why not? Brees put up 209-2 (albiet with 2 ints) against what we now know to be a pretty good Dallas defense in week 1, while Gates was sitting out his suspension. In my league that's the 2nd best FF QB game against Dallas all year (behind only the week 2 Brunell-to-Moss 4th quarter Fluke-fest)

Is the injury even confirmed yet? Seems like a lot of crying based on speculation.
I just went on every Chargers website I could find as well as fftoday and there is no mention of this radio report. Honestly I thought it was a little early for MRI results considering they are on the West Coast. Im hoping its just speculation but Im not holding my breath.

San Diego radio reporting high ankle sprain and slight tear to his toe :o - could be out 2-3 weeks - if not more.
What radio show?There are no updates on any of the Charger boards that always report stuff as soon as it hits the radio or any other source. Right now, the only info out there is that it's his foot, x-rays were negative, and he's having an MRI today.

From someone on SD Forum watching the press conference:

Gates walked into the press conference on his own. Gates just said he feels great today. He says he feels fine. MRI and X-rays all came back fine. Wednesday he said he will know more what he can do.

It seems the press conference started at 1:00pm in SD. Some guy at the messge boards is providing updates:

His post:

Gates just came into the media center. And yes he walked in on his own. I will try to relate any comments worth noting. Drew is talking at the moment. We will have all the video on the site later this afternoon.

Gates just said he feels great today. He says he feels fine. MRI and X-rays all came back fine. Wednesday he said he will know more what he can do.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=26313&page=10

It seems the press conference started at 1:00pm in SD. Some guy at the messge boards is providing updates:

His post:

Gates just came into the media center. And yes he walked in on his own. I will try to relate any comments worth noting. Drew is talking at the moment. We will have all the video on the site later this afternoon.

Gates just said he feels great today. He says he feels fine. MRI and X-rays all came back fine. Wednesday he said he will know more what he can do.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=26313&page=10
:bow: Thank you, Fantasy Gods.

From someone on SD Forum watching the press conference:

Gates walked into the press conference on his own. Gates just said he feels great today. He says he feels fine. MRI and X-rays all came back fine. Wednesday he said he will know more what he can do.
If true, that deserves some dancing pickles. :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Users who are viewing this thread