What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antwoin Smith signs in Tenn. (1 Viewer)

DonnyT33

Footballguy
Titans Sign Antowain Smith

The Tennessee Titans, fresh off releasing veteran running back Eddie George, have agreed to terms with former New England back Antowain Smith.

Terms of the deal are not yet known.

In the 2003 season, Smith ran for 642 yards for the Patriots while splitting time with Kevin Faulk.

http://www.xpertleagues.com

Submitted on Jul 21, 6:06 pm

By Xpert Leagues Correspondant MKB4®

xperts is where i found it, cant find a link or anything from the Tenn organization to make this 100% official, but it looks like its happening to me. Smith runs hard and is about the same as Eddie at this point in there careers. I would think Brown's value is still very high though. Smith will be a change of pace guy, but he could possibly vulture some TD's away as he is a tough inside runner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing was said at the press conference however on local radio, John McClain of the Houston Chronical said it was a 100% done deal that Antwoin would be a Titan.

I think A Smith is a good addition, but it changes nothing as far as Brown is concerned. If it wasn't Smith it would be someone else on the team giving Brown a breather or two per game.

I think A Smith is a good addition, but it changes nothing as far as Brown is concerned. If it wasn't Smith it would be someone else on the team giving Brown a breather or two per game.
Have to agree with JohnnyU on this. They needed RB depth and Smith gives them that. He's a legitamate back to spell Brown. Now they still have 2 backs that will avg about 3.5 YPC.

Lets start the rumors nowEddie was gonna get 15-20 carries a gameBrown was suppose to get 5-10 carries a gameEddie < A.SmithTitans are going for a championship this year .... how comfortable are they placing the load on CB's shouldersIf you ask me A.Smith is gonna be looking at atleast 15 carries a game.My money says they remember how he ran in the playoffs and wanna ride him late in the year

Lets start the rumors nowEddie was gonna get 15-20 carries a gameBrown was suppose to get 5-10 carries a gameEddie < A.SmithTitans are going for a championship this year .... how comfortable are they placing the load on CB's shouldersIf you ask me A.Smith is gonna be looking at atleast 15 carries a game.My money says they remember how he ran in the playoffs and wanna ride him late in the year
Come on now, you don't really believe that do you? Your going to look silly later this year if you do believe that. :bag:

:fishing:

Antowain Smith isn't done yet. If you saw him in the playoffs last year, he was really slamming it in there.

It sure isn't a sign of full faith in Brown, that's for certain. I keep reading quotes from the Titan's higher ups saying they can't replace Eddie, that Brown was going to share time no matter what, etc., etc. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Brown, and it would be a very strange way to get a guy keyed up to be your workhorse. Sure you need back ups in case of emergency, but signing Antowain hours after releasing Eddie has to be viewed as a serious negative in viewing Brown as a back you can count on as a #2 for FF. It just doesn't sound like they're comfortable handing the keys over to Brown at all. Maybe it plays out differently through the rest of the summer, but this seems like a big stock down for Brown.

It sure isn't a sign of full faith in Brown, that's for certain. I keep reading quotes from the Titan's higher ups saying they can't replace Eddie, that Brown was going to share time no matter what, etc., etc. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Brown, and it would be a very strange way to get a guy keyed up to be your workhorse. Sure you need back ups in case of emergency, but signing Antowain hours after releasing Eddie has to be viewed as a serious negative in viewing Brown as a back you can count on as a #2 for FF. It just doesn't sound like they're comfortable handing the keys over to Brown at all. Maybe it plays out differently through the rest of the summer, but this seems like a big stock down for Brown.
:goodposting:

Antowain Smith isn't done yet. If you saw him in the playoffs last year, he was really slamming it in there.
That's nice, because Tenn will need a dependable backup. Good for Tenn getting him signed.

Have to agree with JohnnyU on this. They needed RB depth and Smith gives them that. He's a legitamate back to spell Brown. Now they still have 2 backs that will avg about 3.5 YPC.
Smith is a legitimate back? For what? Career 3.9 YPC, and even in his three big years he averaged 3.7, 3.9, and 4.0 YPC.Fantastic. The Titans have replaced Eddie George with... an older (!) version of Eddie George. Way to go, guys.

tenn is a passing team, i just dont see either brown or smith being an every week fantasy starter.plus, with mcnair at 31 and offseason ankle surgery, it could be billy volek under center before long. those injuries will catch up with him sooner or later

Smiths in a perfect situation. A "No lose" situation if you ask me. Since you didnt I will explain anyway.A: He will probably get paid the money Eddie turned down and that wasnt chump change.B: Grass, easy on the ol knees.C: Tough as nails O-line with a proven team and a QB that will keep the wolves at bayD: He either collects that cash carrying the loaf 5-10 per or gets to prove that his success in NE was not a fluke (albeit moderate success) and beats out young Brown to rub it in NE's face.Ultimate up yours if Tenn were to knock NE from the playoffs.

Then why the heck was he still out on the street looking for a job this late in the offseason??? I'm not saying he doesn't still have something...but in my opinion,he's just an insurance policy.If Brown falls flat,they at least have an experienced back to get Eddie George-like numbers.

Tenn isn't comfortable going into the season with very little experience at RB. They also remember Brown's hamstring problem early last year. Can you say Insurance?

I wouldn't read too much into this signing. The Titans are a playoff calibre team, and don't want to rely solely on the legs of a promising but unproven RB with some durability issues.Antowain Smith is an insurance signing and nothing more. Chris Brown will be the feature back this year in Tennessee, provided he plays well and stays healthy. The Titans aren't completely sold on him, but I think they think enough of him to give him a real shot. If he flops, they have a trusty old vet to rely on.Good signing for the Titans, but I wouldn't move Brown down my list b/c of it.

So to recap....The Titans' had to know E. George was at the end of his career (or close to it), yet signed a TE and left Tatum Bell, Julius Jones and Greg Jones on the board. They didn't sign a RB until the 6th round (you know, the round most replacement stud RBs are taken). Then to no one's surprise, E. George and Tenn part ways leaving CBrown and RJackson as the only viable RBs on the roster. A. Smith is on the street in late July and is signed by Tenn, obviously to take the Titans to the promised land.That must be it. :loco:edited for spelling.

Tenn isn't comfortable going into the season with very little experience at RB. They also remember Brown's hamstring problem early last year. Can you say Insurance?
I agree and its insurance at a lower price. :thumbup: Good move Tenn, but then again why would that surprise anyone they always do make good moves.

Titan/Riot fans - We need answers! As Eddie declined Air was unleashed. Question is, does Fisher think this is OK or does the beating Big Mac has taken in the last couple years late in the season give him reason to commit more to the run? How did Eddie pick up the blitz and how does Bown and Smith do there? How's the O-line this year? Has Fisher ever been quoted about RBBC? What pecking order do the Titans use for goal-line touches? Is the rumor about the Titans wanting Holcome back down to halfback weight true? A little help here por favor :popcorn:

I wouldn't read too much into this signing. The Titans are a playoff calibre team, and don't want to rely solely on the legs of a promising but unproven RB with some durability issues.Antowain Smith is an insurance signing and nothing more. Chris Brown will be the feature back this year in Tennessee, provided he plays well and stays healthy. The Titans aren't completely sold on him, but I think they think enough of him to give him a real shot. If he flops, they have a trusty old vet to rely on.Good signing for the Titans, but I wouldn't move Brown down my list b/c of it.
Well said and :goodposting:

EXACTLY!! A voice of reason! :goodposting:

Chris Brown will be the feature back this year in Tennessee, provided he plays well and stays healthy.
That's a great qualifier right there. My guess is he doesn't play well and/or he doesn't stay healthy.

Chris Brown will be the feature back this year in Tennessee, provided he plays well and stays healthy.
That's a great qualifier right there. My guess is he doesn't play well and/or he doesn't stay healthy.
Maybe it should be worded that Brown wil be given the opportunity to be a feature back this year. Weather or not you feel he is up to the task should be the real discusion here IMO.

I think in all honesty the best back will win the job during training campI see no reason why A.Smith could not win this job ... a mor elikely scenario is seeing Brown and Smith split 50/50

well then it wouldn't matter who else was on the team. A player that doesn't play well or gets injured will almost always get replaced, especially one as unproven as Brown is.Holcombe or some other RB would have been just as likely to replace an injured or ineffective Brown as Antowain, IMO. Maybe Brown gets the hook a little earlier with Antowain around now, but I still think they'll stick with Brown until they are sure he's not the guy.BTW, Brown averaged 5.3 yards per carry against the #1 and #4 rush defenses in the league last year during 2 playoff games, while Eddie George averaged about 3.2 I think. Brown has skills...durability is a definite concern though.

Maybe it should be worded that Brown wil be given the opportunity to be a feature back this year. Weather or not you feel he is up to the task should be the real discusion here IMO.
All the RBs will have the opportunity. My opinion is that if A. Smith outperforms Brown in camp, he is the starter.

I think in all honesty the best back will win the job during training campI see no reason why A.Smith could not win this job ... a mor elikely scenario is seeing Brown and Smith split 50/50
:yes:

Here's my guess. LHUCKS is secrectly hoping Chris Brown plays poorly,and/or doesn't stay healthy to prove Herd wrong for drafting him too early in a survivor draft.Just my take on it. ;)

Eddie George 312 carries 3.3 avg (27 longest run)

Chris Brown 56 carries 3.9 avg (28 longest run)

Robert Holcombe 63 carries 3.2 avg (21 longest run)

Antoine Smith 182 carries 3.5 avg (30 longest run)

While its a given that Smith played in a different offense, the YPC certainly indicates that Brown should be able to hold his own when given the opportunity.

As stated earlier, its obvious that Smith was needed for insurance, and its a safe assumption that its probably Brown's job to lose based on Tennessee's lack of addressing the RB spot early in the draft.

In a Titan offense that now has a 312 carry void, Brown would still get a large amount of work if he only gets 65% (280) of the 431 backfield carries, and if he gets the 300+ that George got, then he's a very legitimate RB2.

Is there risk associated with the unknown? Absolutely. However, Brown isn't exactly an unkown quantity and his YPC makes me think that he's going to do at least as well in 2004, possibly better with more work to get into the rhythm that is needed at RB.

IMO he's a calculated gamble worth taking if he looks decent in pre-season.

All the RBs will have the opportunity. My opinion is that IF A. Smith outperforms Brown in camp, he is the starter.
Edit to show the life like size of the if in your sentance.

Can someone tell me why there are durability concerns for Brown?He hurt his hamstring in late July last year and it kept him sidelined for about three months. As far as I can tell, that was it. He didn't have a history of prior hamstring injuries, so there's little reason to think that this will continue to be a problem in the future. Where's the issue?

All the RBs will have the opportunity. My opinion is that if A. Smith outperforms Brown in camp, he is the starter.
I'm sure that's what you are hoping for. What do you have against Chris Brown? He played well when given the opportunity and he's only in his 2nd year. Sure he was injured early last year, but he recovered nicely from that and is ready to start his career. Give the man a shot before being so hell bent on benching him :D

Here's my guess. LHUCKS is secrectly hoping Chris Brown plays poorly,and/or doesn't stay healthy to prove Herd wrong for drafting him too early in a survivor draft.Just my take on it. ;)
Nope, I have nothing against Herd. Actually I respect the fact that he has taken a side in a topic that is not so black and white. I like to discuss FF and Brown is one of the players where I differ most from the FBG consensus rankings. I like to state my opinions and reasons for those opinions. That's why we're all here isn't it? I hope nobody is here just to prove somebody wrong...if so they've got some serious self confidence issues.

Can someone tell me why there are durability concerns for Brown?He hurt his hamstring in late July last year and it kept him sidelined for about three months. As far as I can tell, that was it. He didn't have a history of prior hamstring injuries, so there's little reason to think that this will continue to be a problem in the future. Where's the issue?
throughout his college career and early last year, he has shown some difficulties overcoming minor nagging-type injuries that don't bother most stud RBs. not a HUGE concern, because he racked up quite a few carries at Colorado and didn't miss too many games, but it was a knock on him coming into the league last year and he didn't dispel those doubts with the preseason injury.Here was the injury report from his draft profile on NFL.com:
Suffered a high ankle sprain vs. Texas A&M in 2001, seeing limited action in the next four games...Did not play vs. Nebraska and Oklahoma (Big 12 Championship) in 2002 after severely bruising his sternum in the second quarter vs. Iowa State.
most RBs have played through worse than a bruised sternum, haven't they?

How's the O-line this year?
They are returning every starter from last year.Although most sites / mags rank them in the middle of the pack, chemistry is a huge part of an O-Line, and I believe they are in the top third of the league. Brad Hopkins, Zack Philer, Beni Olsen, Fred Miller and Justin Hartwig...maybe it's just becaue I'm a Titan fan...but I'd say that's a pretty accomplished set of guys....with HOF Mike Munchak coaching 'em.There's a good news story on www.titansonline.com if anyone really cares what the O-Line looks like.

Didn't he have some hammy and some other problems at CU? I think so.

I'm sure that's what you are hoping for. What do you have against Chris Brown? He played well when given the opportunity and he's only in his 2nd year. Sure he was injured early last year, but he recovered nicely from that and is ready to start his career. Give the man a shot before being so hell bent on benching him :D
I have nothing against Chris Brown.In general I disagree with taking a player in the 4th round that has shown relatively little in the NFL and is in a situation that is not black and white. Like I said before, I'd rather draft proven players that early in a draft. Kevin Jones is an exception because I believe he has sick talent...I don't get that from watching Brown..Brown is a prime example of a likely bust IMO.

throughout his college career and early last year, he has shown some difficulties overcoming minor nagging-type injuries that don't bother most stud RBs. not a HUGE concern, because he racked up quite a few carries at Colorado and didn't miss too many games, but it was a knock on him coming into the league last year and he didn't dispel those doubts with the preseason injury.
Thanks for the response.From his NFL.com draft profile, here's all I could find about what happened in college:

Suffered a high ankle sprain vs. Texas A&M in 2001, seeing limited action in the next four games … Did not play vs. Nebraska and Oklahoma (Big 12 Championship) in 2002 after severely bruising his sternum in the second quarter vs. Iowa State.

I thought high-ankle sprains often took several weeks to heal. Then he missed two games resulting from a bruised sternum. Eh, I'm not too concerned here.

Edit: From Brown's USA Today Fantasy Football Page, it says that he didn't have a history of prior hamstring injuries before last year's.

The Titans are a running team. THe rest of my thoughts on this subject can be found in the other 295,493 Chris Brown/Eddie George threads.HERD

The Titans are a running team. THe rest of my thoughts on this subject can be found in the other 295,493 Chris Brown/Eddie George threads.HERD
You know you can't stay away Herd....we'll see you lurking. :D

tenn is a passing team, i just dont see either brown or smith being an every week fantasy starter.plus, with mcnair at 31 and offseason ankle surgery, it could be billy volek under center before long. those injuries will catch up with him sooner or later
Your points seemingly contradict one another. First you claim that they are a passing team which hurts the run game. Then you claim that the QB could get hurt, which by all reasonable interpretations, would mean that they would have to rely upon the running game more.

I guess Ant. Smith should now be drafted in round 3 or 4 in all dynasty AND redraft leagues. :rolleyes: Antowain is a nice "insurance" policy just in case.

"Maybe it should be worded that Brown wil be given the opportunity to be a feature back this year."I think this is the real bone of contention actually. Right now all we can do is argue about what Fisher's comment that Brown was going to share carries regardless of who was brought in really means. Is it a Shaun Alexander kind of sharing where he's getting a 75% or so share, a lesser amount, or a true rbbc? We don't know yet. It's too soon to get too down on Brown, but I if I'm trying to be bullish on Brown, I sure would have liked the first thing out of management's mouth to be something like "we're going to give Brown a shot to be our feature back" (to be fair there is an espn insider article to this effect up right now, but I'm not an espn "insider" - I'd be curious to here a synopsis) rather than them immediately going out and signing Antowain. I mean pump the kid up a little bit before you immediately drop another hurdle in front of him. It sure seems like the Titans really did want to keep Eddie around too - they were pretty vocal about it, why say that after you've released the guy when you should be giving Brown the warm fuzzies if you intend for him to be the man. All I'm saying is my expectations for Brown are remaining tempered - I think people are swinging a bit wild both ways on the issue right now. He's value at round 5 or later, borderline round 4 material, but let's see what preseason holds before we scoot him much further up our draft boards.An interesting B story is the Cowboy's reaction, as reported so far. It seems Jerry Jones is interested in Eddie George, but Parcells is putting the kibosh on it saying he doesn't want to stunt Julius Jonse's growth. Julius stock up? I think so, if they hold that line.The C story, I think Eddie George is the biggest loser in this whole thing and it is a bit sad. He's probably not going to get what he wants, either in money or in a chance to win a super bowl, and most likely both. He really should have swallowed his pride and stayed in Tennessee - he'd have been better off. He's been a really good player in so many ways, it's a shame to see it go down like this.

I have nothing against Chris Brown.In general I disagree with taking a player in the 4th round that has shown relatively little in the NFL and is in a situation that is not black and white. Like I said before, I'd rather draft proven players that early in a draft. Kevin Jones is an exception because I believe he has sick talent...I don't get that from watching Brown..Brown is a prime example of a likely bust IMO.
Taking someone like Brown early is one of the fun parts of this hobby. Some like to gamble and some do not. I'm a gambler. This year I took him at 3.4 in one inaugural team dynasty draft and in the 4th in another dynasty draft. I also traded for him in another league and drafted him 1.04 last year in another dynasty league rookie draft. So, you can say I'm high on Chris Brown. He could end up flopping and I will have egg on my face, but I don't care. I've made mistakes in the past with moves that didn't pan out, but that is part of the fun of this hobby. At least it is for me.

Darn you all! I can't stay away!(2/3 of the Titans backfield carries from their average since Fisher became coach would be 290 carries. That would leave 100 for A-Smith, and 45 for Holcomb/PAyton/Whoever. IF Brown goes at a 4.0 clip, thats 1160 yards on the ground. Not bad for LHUCKS # 38 running back...)HERD

Darn you all! I can't stay away!(2/3 of the Titans backfield carries from their average since Fisher became coach would be 290 carries. That would leave 100 for A-Smith, and 45 for Holcomb/PAyton/Whoever. IF Brown goes at a 4.0 clip, thats 1160 yards on the ground. Not bad for LHUCKS # 38 running back...)HERD
And where is this arbitrary 2/3 number coming from?

#38 on my cheatsheets, not on my projections where he is waffling at 31/32.Of course both of those take into account his susceptibility to injury.

Users who are viewing this thread