What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Jersey collectors out there? (1 Viewer)

Sweet Love

IBL Representative
My 14 year-old son is adamant about buying his first piece of sports memorabilia.  He wants a signed jersey from an NFL QB.  He has it whittled down between two guys - Joe Namath (Jets jersey) or Justin Herbert (college or NFL jersey).  I really know little about this world, so if someone has an opinion or resources they could point me to, that would be great.

I know some of the basics, and obviously Herbert would be more risky than a Namath, but that is about all I can offer.  Is a college jersey more valuable than an NFL jersey?  Is there a list or common knowledge of which jerseys are more rare?  Any kind of info like that would be great.

The real money is in game worn jerseys.  You really have to know who you are buying from.  Letters of Authenticity can be faked also.  Most likely you are buying a non-game worn jersey that is signed.  You’ll want a NFL jersey, some like the white, others like the color, its personal preference.  

The real money is in game worn jerseys.  You really have to know who you are buying from.  Letters of Authenticity can be faked also.  Most likely you are buying a non-game worn jersey that is signed.  You’ll want a NFL jersey, some like the white, others like the color, its personal preference.  
The game-worn (or game used bat, etc) value is crazy vs just signed.

A Herbert in powder blue would be my choice. Get a nice frame with good matting/contrast.

Neither will be valuable collector's items so get the one that will pop on the wall. 

How does a 15 year old come up with Namath as a finalist?

Jersey chasers huh?
Nah, he really just wants to invest in something he likes and understands.  He has a word working business, and I think instead of the money sitting in the bank, he would like to buy something, but something that won't plummet in value like video games (games he plays not collectibles).

This was my exact first thought when I read it.    Assumed it would be a Herbert vs. Mahomes debate.
We're NY Jets fans.  He is looking at it between a HOFer, and someone with obviously a lower floor, but maybe higher ceiling?  Which will be tough, but if there is a good player out there who knowingly does not sign much, or a HOFer, who does not sign much, that may make more of an impact versus "how good they eventually became".

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, he really just wants to invest in something he likes and understands.  He has a word working business, and I think instead of the money sitting in the bank, he would like to buy something, but something that won't plummet in value like video games (games he plays not collectibles).
I was just teasing. Jersey chaser is slang for the women who are always trying to sleep with athletes. 

Are these things really investments though? I'm not under the impression that most folks make money off collectables. Like @Ben & Jerry'ssaid, it's more about having something nice to view/show off.

Users who are viewing this thread