What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ANy one cutting bait on Miles Austin? (1 Viewer)

Breesisdaman

Footballguy
Yet another season with promise that his off season work put these issues behind him. Now out and for how many games?

MIMN

Footballguy
Seriously considering it. Holding on right now because I am not desperate. He is looking like first out for me though.

Texasmouth

Footballguy
Dynasty leagues- Williams was drafted because of this. Romo has been feeding him the ball a lot. His numbers dont show it but if you watch any of the games it is easy to see Romo has made an effort to get the ball to Williams and Escobar. I believe Williams led the NCAA in one of the major receiving categories. He also made some amazing plays at Baylor that RGIII got credit for.

PPR leagues- Harris is money as long as he is healthy. This is when he will shine with Austin on the bench. WR4 material with big upside.

Austin has really lost a lot of the explosion he had a few years ago. He just doesnt seem like the same player anymore. It was only a matter of time before Williams stole the job away from him anyway. I have Williams in 4 of 4 dynasty leagues. 6'2" 200+ lbs with great hands and great playmaking ability.

koreansteve

Footballguy
I gave him away in a trade. Just to add a little "name value". These hamstring issues linger all year for him and I'd rather have an upside guy on my bench (like SHill or another DAL WR) than Austin.

Texasmouth...Williams is the pickup here for redraft...right?

menobrown

Footballguy
Dynasty leagues- Williams was drafted because of this. Romo has been feeding him the ball a lot. His numbers dont show it but if you watch any of the games it is easy to see Romo has made an effort to get the ball to Williams and Escobar. I believe Williams led the NCAA in one of the major receiving categories. He also made some amazing plays at Baylor that RGIII got credit for.

PPR leagues- Harris is money as long as he is healthy. This is when he will shine with Austin on the bench. WR4 material with big upside.

Austin has really lost a lot of the explosion he had a few years ago. He just doesnt seem like the same player anymore. It was only a matter of time before Williams stole the job away from him anyway. I have Williams in 4 of 4 dynasty leagues. 6'2" 200+ lbs with great hands and great playmaking ability.
Williams was drafted because Harris is subpar NFL #3 and because they likely don't want to pay Austin the $6+ million he is due next season and certainly not the $11+ million in 2015. . Maybe it is a matter of time until Williams replaces him but that's not happened yet and it's not going to happen this year. Williams is a raw one trick pony right now.

And no I'm not cutting bait on Miles Austin. His per game procuction is above waiver wire replacement, just bench him and give it a few weeks.

sandlotshrink

Footballguy
Cut him last year for the very same reason. Avoided him like the plague in this years draft. Do yourself a favor and trade to wait and package him to some unsuspecting owner.

ShamrockPride

Footballguy

Plus Witten is getting up there in age. I grabbed both Williams in round 3 and Escobar in round 4 of my 16 team dynasty league rookie draft this past offseason. If Escobar can learn how to block at all I LOVE his prospects in the pros. I feel good about at least 1 of these guys flourishing at some point down the line.

ROYALWITCHEESE

Footballguy

Uh. Williams has anything but GREAT hands.

KellysHeroes

Footballguy
fell for off-season hype (should of know better) and picked him up as a 3/4. Stayed healthy all off-season and camp, tore the giants a new one and I thought this was going to be a decent yr.

To be fair, he played 15 games last yr and finished just under a 1000 yards. Not ready to cut bait, yet

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Retukes

Footballguy
Williams was drafted because of this. Romo has been feeding him the ball a lot. His numbers dont show it but if you watch any of the games it is easy to see Romo has made an effort to get the ball to Williams and Escobar.
Escobar has 5 targets in 3 games. Is that your definition of "effort"? :lol:

Breesisdaman

Footballguy
Well I cut him just now, I think he misses at least 2-3 weeks even with a mild strain because of the Cowboys record. They can be patient with Austin and get him healed up so I figured if I have to wait for a WR I might as well cut him and pick up Percy Harvin . I did just that.

Raiderfan32904

Footballguy
Sold him high after week one, knew his history. Felt right when I did it.

Same league, just picked both Harris and Williams. Not sure who will emerge, but I like me chances the next mid season 'ascendency' is one of those guys. Once the picture clears, I'll dump one and be ahead of the waiver wire battle. Figure placing my bets on the Miles Austin replacement field is better than holding guys like DHB and Streater.

Texasmouth

Footballguy
Williams was drafted because of this. Romo has been feeding him the ball a lot. His numbers dont show it but if you watch any of the games it is easy to see Romo has made an effort to get the ball to Williams and Escobar.
May have only had 5 targets but he wasnt really an active part of the first two games. Was targeted in the end zone twice.

Cut him this week to pick up Eddie Royal (not sure why he was dropped Tuesday, but I didn't question the move). Had Royal not been there Austin would have stayed on my bench.

SameSongNDance

Footballguy
Yeah, after taking a look at this to get a better picture of how this may play out I decided to drop him (had to grab a K) and keep Bolden. He hurt his hammy last year but was Probable between weeks 1-6 so it's not an accurate comparison IMO. In 2011 however he injured it in week 2, was out weeks 3 and 4, came back and re-injured it in week 9 becoming useless for the remainder.

Three years, three hamstring injuries. No thanks.

Mr. Retukes

Footballguy
May have only had 5 targets but he wasnt really an active part of the first two games.
Uh-huh. Escobar played 21 snaps in Week 1 and 22 snaps in Week 2, compared to 15 snaps in Week 3.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Kenny Powers

Footballguy
I wouldnt say Im optimistic or even have any idea how long this hammy will linger, but Austin was dropped today in a league of mine that is pretty deep. The best WW WRs are currently guys like Hill, Pettis, Cotchery, Streater - and the available RBs are even worse. This is a start 2 WR league (Jordy and DJax for me) with 2 flexes, and my only other WRs are Jeffery and Marlon Brown. Maybe my lack of WR depth is influencing my decision making, but I think dropping Snelling (or maybe even Marlon Brown) is a no brainer for me.

Ironically in a smaller league I have Austin and needed a bye week QB for RG3, I was actually considering dropping Austin myself (I instead dropped Rueben Randle), so Im far from enthusiastic on Austin's outlook, but if you guys are dropping him in deep leagues I think its a mistake, and if he's on your WW in a deep league I think he's an easy add. Romo is off to a nice start this season, even with the rib injury.

Raiderfan32904

Footballguy
Even in deep leagues, Austin isn't a likely WR add that is going to be on any championship level rosters. That hammy is going to be a problem all season long. People just can't get over the name value. Stick a fork in him. Even if he does come back, you risk a zero that he pulls his hammy again during warmups. The bye weeks are only starting to be a killer. Not enough upside and too much risk to hold in standard leagues. I guess depending on how deep the rosters are. I'd not hold him over the waiver wire darlings of the week though.

FF Ninja

Footballguy
I wouldnt say Im optimistic or even have any idea how long this hammy will linger, but Austin was dropped today in a league of mine that is pretty deep. The best WW WRs are currently guys like Hill, Pettis, Cotchery, Streater - and the available RBs are even worse. This is a start 2 WR league (Jordy and DJax for me) with 2 flexes, and my only other WRs are Jeffery and Marlon Brown. Maybe my lack of WR depth is influencing my decision making, but I think dropping Snelling (or maybe even Marlon Brown) is a no brainer for me.

Ironically in a smaller league I have Austin and needed a bye week QB for RG3, I was actually considering dropping Austin myself (I instead dropped Rueben Randle), so Im far from enthusiastic on Austin's outlook, but if you guys are dropping him in deep leagues I think its a mistake, and if he's on your WW in a deep league I think he's an easy add. Romo is off to a nice start this season, even with the rib injury.
Yes, I think the Cowboys holding him out is actually a really good move. He has been mediocre at best while dealing with hamstring injuries and I think they've realized this. Better to hold him out 2-3 weeks and get WR2 production out of him than play him 16 games and get WR4 production.

Righetti

Footballguy
this is the beauty of the Shark Tank...if he blows up in three weeks, somebody may add his name to the 'Waiver Wire Week 12' thread and you'll get fifty replies about playing in a guppy league

maybe the guppies are the ones holding onto these bums

Kenny Powers

Footballguy
Even in deep leagues, Austin isn't a likely WR add that is going to be on any championship level rosters. That hammy is going to be a problem all season long. People just can't get over the name value. Stick a fork in him. Even if he does come back, you risk a zero that he pulls his hammy again during warmups. The bye weeks are only starting to be a killer. Not enough upside and too much risk to hold in standard leagues. I guess depending on how deep the rosters are. I'd not hold him over the waiver wire darlings of the week though.
Talk about making a pure assumption as if it is fact, with the bolded statement.

He didnt practice today, but Garrett said Monday he may start this week. He probably sits this week, but it would appear his isnt far away from returning to game action.

The bye weeks are only starting to be killer? Not enough upside? Too much risk to hold? You arent holding over a WW darling? I disagree with all of these opinions in regards to Miles Austin.

Kenny Powers

Footballguy
He went through waivers after I dropped him and not a single person sniffed him. Damn.
Haha, same.
How deep are your guys' leagues were you dropped him, and he wasn't picked up by someone? Im my 12 teamer where he was dropped, our rosters are 20 players. I dont think he should be on a WW in a league this deep.

Not to mention, the guy who dropped him kept DHB, Santana Moss, Pettigrew, and a 3rd QB (Big Ben or Cutler, whoever you view as worse) over holding onto Austin. This strikes me as horrible roster management.

menobrown

Footballguy
Talk about making a pure assumption as if it is fact, with the bolded statement.

He didnt practice today, but Garrett said Monday he may start this week. He probably sits this week, but it would appear his isnt far away from returning to game action.

The bye weeks are only starting to be killer? Not enough upside? Too much risk to hold? You arent holding over a WW darling? I disagree with all of these opinions in regards to Miles Austin.
Nice post, I don't even get this thread. You guys don't play in leagues with a bench?

SameSongNDance

Footballguy
He went through waivers after I dropped him and not a single person sniffed him. Damn.
Haha, same.
How deep are your guys' leagues were you dropped him, and he wasn't picked up by someone? Im my 12 teamer where he was dropped, our rosters are 20 players. I dont think he should be on a WW in a league this deep.

Not to mention, the guy who dropped him kept DHB, Santana Moss, Pettigrew, and a 3rd QB (Big Ben or Cutler, whoever you view as worse) over holding onto Austin. This strikes me as horrible roster management.
This was a non-ppr 10-teamer where we only have to start two WRs on any given week. He was also technically my WR5 (although maybe Amendola is my true WR5).

unckeyherb

Footballguy
I'm holding for now. Would love it if he was good to go this week, but willing to wait a couple more before I cut him. Don't get the point of cutting bait unless in a VERY shallow league. In my 12-team the top WW guys are guys like Hankerson and Cotchery. After those two it gets really bad.

Breesisdaman

Footballguy
Miles put up 7 points in week 1, 3 points in week 2, and 2 points in week 3 and was hurt. now he is giving owners nothing. Some of the waiver scrubs can seriously give you better than that on a week to week basis.

RushHour

Footballguy
Look at his stats/game log, rather than looking at his name, and he's an easy drop.

Can't think of a good reason to keep burning a roster spot on him. Even if he's healthy in a few weeks, he's not going to be a difference maker for your team in any given week.

Paulymaggs

Footballguy
What exactly are people holding out for? Austin's 2011 'upside'? Bryant and Witten both get hurt?

It is debatable if Austin will outscore Cotchery this year even if he does come back to start every game here on out....

Users who are viewing this thread