What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Gates this year? Bounce back? (1 Viewer)

LOL..20 TD's...good one.

Seriously, looking for some insight. A lot of you on here have a lot of knowledge/perspective on fantasy football and I am simply trying to tap into that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like him better than everyone's flavor of the year guys at TE (Rudolph, Cook, etc.) and like him in the 8th-10th a lot more than burning a 4th-5th rounder on Vernon Davis.

I think he's worth a gamble - just hoping for health, and for the targets to pick back up.

I like him about as much as anyone not named Graham, Witten, Gonzalez or Davis. I think after those 4, you could talk me into just about anyone at TE.

Not sure how much he has left in the tank, but if he has one good year left, this would be it. Rivers has no one else to throw to, so as long as he's healthy, Gates could be a top 5 TE by the end of the year.

the o line isnt good, the backs are ehhhh, receivers besides brown are ummmm okay at best, they should be losing alot so someone has to catch passes, so why not gates?

All his big "pluses" that people keep bringing up are the same as last year and he was the one pick I regretted the most last year. I'll pass this year.

I think he's got a chance at bouncing back, but I'm not specifically targeting him. He's getting old for a TE so there's risk of a cliff, but I expect McCoy to breathe life into this offense, so he could have value. His points are going to depend a lot on his TDs. Given the other targets, I think Rivers will lean heavily on Gates in the red zone so we could see a stat line resembling 65/750/10.

I can see the TDs up near the 10 range since he can still be an effective red zone guy - he knows how to body position.

But he seems to have lost his ability to separate down the field, so I don't think he'll be the target monster of past years even though the team is decimated at WR.

I think FF Ninja's stat line of 65/750/10 seems reasonable.

Not a believer at all in the thread title, but I'm curious what people are seing in drafts and auctions this year in Gates?

Was in an auction yesterday where someone bid 35/300 for him. Some players just have their fans though. - Are people still buying in, drafting him mid to high, or at least more than his past performance and projections warrant?

Not a believer at all in the thread title, but I'm curious what people are seing in drafts and auctions this year in Gates?

Was in an auction yesterday where someone bid 35/300 for him. Some players just have their fans though. - Are people still buying in, drafting him mid to high, or at least more than his past performance and projections warrant?
I think a lot of people remember where he was drafted and where he finished last year and a lot of people are passing. This year he lasted to the middle 9th round in my local redraft league that drafted a few weeks ago. I picked him up myself as a TE2 (pick 9.07). It was hard for me to pass him by at that point.

Well, he was on the field close to every play. Unfortunately the only time Rivers seemed to look for him was on the occasional 3rd down. He was throwing to everyone else all over the place though.

I dunno. Not pulling the plug yet, but Julius Thomas just got less expendable.

Thomas shouldn't have been expendable regardless of how Gates performed tonight.
That's debatable. If Gates was heavily involved, had a nice game, strong chance I tried to strike while the iron was hot and move JT. Tons of nibbles and intrigue already. But based on what I saw? Julius Thomas is starting for me for the forseeable future.

It's over, folks. :(
The #s werent there but (and this will sound stupid) he looked alot quicker on his catches then I ever remember. I dunno. Out of all the late TEs I couldve took it looks like I took the wrong one but that being said I still think he'll be ok

Well, he was on the field close to every play. Unfortunately the only time Rivers seemed to look for him was on the occasional 3rd down. He was throwing to everyone else all over the place though.

I have Thomas also and I get the feeling that they kept Gates in for pass blocking. I just don't like the few looks and targets he is got this past week. Thomas is in for me this week and I'm have Celek who is on waivers on my watch list. If Gates doesn't get more looks this week I may dump Gates as my TE2 and grab Celek

It's over, folks. :(
The #s werent there but (and this will sound stupid) he looked alot quicker on his catches then I ever remember. I dunno. Out of all the late TEs I couldve took it looks like I took the wrong one but that being said I still think he'll be ok
He looked much quicker than the past couple years. I don't know why they didn't throw to him more.
Because I only needed one more catch out of him to win my matchup?

:ptts:

They were rolling coverage to him a lot. I suspect d coordinators won't be able to ignore Eddie Royal now that he looks healthy.

I picked Gates up really late (surprisingly so) as a early season starter after taking Gronk in the early 4th (10 team league). So far, he's been holding serve just fine while Gronk gets healthy. Although I lost my first game by less than a point (.14) so one more catch in week one would have been nice.

I think he is probably good for about 10 points a week, not as much upside as he has had in the past, but should be relatively steady in the 50 yards and a TD (or 100 yards or so if no TD). Some weeks he'll only get the 50 yards though, and I don't think he gets the multiple TD games too often or 150 yard games to compensate for the lower scoring ones. Like I said, average out to about 10 points (standard scoring) a week.

He definitely looks faster this year and the new system seems to fit him well.

Now he is coming off a huge week and almost looks like he is back into his old form. Is he a sell high right now or will he continue this production?

He definitely looks faster this year and the new system seems to fit him well.

Now he is coming off a huge week and almost looks like he is back into his old form. Is he a sell high right now or will he continue this production?
He's still the number one option. With the way the O is moving, he'll get 10 TD's again this season. He's 3rd in scoring currently for TE's and he's left points on the board. I doubt you will get full value as well. Ride him.

Users who are viewing this thread