What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody have info/background on living in Flagstaff, Arizona? (1 Viewer)

Ed Wood

Footballguy
Veteran late-50s friend of mine with major medical issues is thinking about a move from the midwest (Illinois), hoping the dry desert air might do him some good. Anybody on the board live or visit there? Likes/dislikes/tips?

He's going on an 11-day or so trial run this Friday to scope things out.

Thanks, much appreciated!!

It’s certainly dry there and gets cold with snow in Winter from what I remember.  I like Sedona a lot better which is just down the road and a heck of a lot more expensive.

As long as he likes the cold/snow and can afford it, it's a good place to live.  I'm sure he probably already may know, but it's one of the snowiest cities in the US. Real estate in Arizona as a whole has skyrocketed over the past 5+ years. I haven't worked much with Flagstaff real estate to be much of a help there... Can't beat the summers in Flagstaff. I go there at least a couple times during the summertime. Not somewhere I'd move to full time personally, solely because I'll never move full time to a location with cold weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, all, very much!! Please keep the info coming!

He'll probably be a renter/apartment dweller so no issues with buying a house.

Anybody know what an average monthly rent would be on a decent place? One bedroon would probably be sufficient.

And he's curious why the cost of living is so high.

And, no, he didn't know it was so snowy!!!

Ed Wood said:
Thanks, all, very much!! Please keep the info coming!

He'll probably be a renter/apartment dweller so no issues with buying a house.

Anybody know what an average monthly rent would be on a decent place? One bedroon would probably be sufficient.

And he's curious why the cost of living is so high.

And, no, he didn't know it was so snowy!!!
Probably around $1300. 

Flagstaff/Sedona are very slight after areas to live as they don’t have near the heat. 

I've lived in AZ for 43 years and used to own a vacation home in Flagstaff. It's an awesome city, but a lot of the price of rentals is driven by NAU students. The university is big compared to the city so there's a lot of students driving up rents. But the downtown area is awesome - lots of bars and restaurants. 

As others have said, the climate is good, but man, lots of snow. If he's into skiiing it's a great place.

Someone also mentioned Sedona. I'll throw my hat into the ring for Prescott. It's in the same general area, a little warmer climate overall, and just a great town. We sold our Flagstaff place and bought our vacation house in Prescott. We get up there all the time, and it's one of my favorite places to be. It's an awesome town, and if your buddy is spending 10 days up in Flag, he should make a trip to Sedona and Prescott to check them out too. There's lots of great small towns in Northern AZ.

I've lived in AZ for 43 years and used to own a vacation home in Flagstaff. It's an awesome city, but a lot of the price of rentals is driven by NAU students. The university is big compared to the city so there's a lot of students driving up rents. But the downtown area is awesome - lots of bars and restaurants. 

As others have said, the climate is good, but man, lots of snow. If he's into skiiing it's a great place.

Someone also mentioned Sedona. I'll throw my hat into the ring for Prescott. It's in the same general area, a little warmer climate overall, and just a great town. We sold our Flagstaff place and bought our vacation house in Prescott. We get up there all the time, and it's one of my favorite places to be. It's an awesome town, and if your buddy is spending 10 days up in Flag, he should make a trip to Sedona and Prescott to check them out too. There's lots of great small towns in Northern AZ.
I’d also add in cottonwood. 

I would go southwest CO over Flagstaff, personally. Assuming he's after elevation, because Flag is up there. Otherwise, I liked Prescott and that seems a more livable kind of place to me than Sedona.

My friend has pushed his train trip (29 hours!) from the 19th of this month to the 30th. He's hoping to have his legs in better working order by then so he can get around Flagstaff and make an informed decision.

Thanks, all, very much for your input. He said to me after I gave him the Cliff's Notes version of some of your replies, "This is not going at all like I expected" so you've definitely given him something to think about. :thumbup:

My friend has pushed his train trip (29 hours!)
Let know how that goes :lol:  . I've thought about taking it when I go back home as I greatly prefer Amtrak to flying but 29 vs. 3 hours is just too much.  That and flights from PHX to ORD are often dirt cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go southwest CO over Flagstaff, personally. Assuming he's after elevation, because Flag is up there. Otherwise, I liked Prescott and that seems a more livable kind of place to me than Sedona.
Sedona is a wonderful place to visit but the not crazy people I know who live in Sedona do indicate some serious drawbacks. 

Love being in short driving distance to it though. Really great place to spend a weekend. 

My friend has pushed his train trip (29 hours!) from the 19th of this month to the 30th. He's hoping to have his legs in better working order by then so he can get around Flagstaff and make an informed decision.

Thanks, all, very much for your input. He said to me after I gave him the Cliff's Notes version of some of your replies, "This is not going at all like I expected" so you've definitely given him something to think about. :thumbup:
Well, at this time of year it’s going to be beautiful up there. He’s going to miss out on the snow and cold.

I agree with the Prescott comments. I also thin Havasu would be a good option. Havasu will be much hotter though and no snow. I do like Flagstaff a lot but I hate snow. I only go to Flagstaff in the spring/summer months. Flagstaff is a very chill town and I do find that attractive. If he wants to avoid snow there are many great choices in Arizona. I moved to Arizona in 1989 from the east coast. I dont regret it.

Prescott is beautiful and big enough to have most of what anyone would need. Including a VA and a larger hospital. 

Not a lot of jobs available outside of medical/govt or service sector. Most of the money in town came from outside of town. 

Users who are viewing this thread