What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone aware or played in a Best Ball Dynasty-style league? (1 Viewer)

pizzatyme

Footballguy
I prefer best ball to minimize in-season management due to time required. I'd be very interested in a startup best ball dynasty however.

Anyone aware of these types of leagues?

I've never seen it, but I can picture how that could work.

In order to save time & attention on in-season management, I think it would have to be modeled on a draft-only league, where rosters are locked during the season (no trades or waivers). There could be maybe one month during the offseason where trading is open and the league has its rookie/fa draft. And possibly one week mid-season when you open waivers (and trading?).

In order to save time & attention on in-season management, I think it would have to be modeled on a draft-only league, where rosters are locked during the season (no trades or waivers). There could be maybe one month during the offseason where trading is open and the league has its rookie/fa draft. And possibly one week mid-season when you open waivers (and trading?).
I'd prefer no waivers in-season. But wouldn't mind trades anytime. Or am I missing something here?

I'd prefer no waivers in-season. But wouldn't mind trades anytime. Or am I missing something here?
Trading rewards active owners, so owners who draft & forget it will be at a disadvantage compared with those who spend their time wheeling and dealing. I suspect even moreso in this format than in most.

Are you in any best ball leagues that have trading and no waivers?

No, not at all. I only do Draftmasters at this point so that I don't have to worry about trades, waivers, and lineup decisions.

I was just trying to get some perspective from you there. I'd be good with whatever waiver in that regards.

Maybe only doing trades during a 2 week period before and after the NFL draft and add all waiver wire players to the rookie draft pool? That seems logical to me.

Just spitballing.

Hi PT,

I actually run a best ball style league. It is a keeper league and we do have waivers/trades during the season. I can say the owners MUCH prefer the best ball aspect versus picking a line-up.

We run three blind-bid windows per week plus a FCFS window toward the end of the week for anyone who has run out of bid money.

Trades are allowed all year except during the playoffs.

The league has been around since 1992 with several long time owners.

Here's a link

I think it's a great idea. Something like 30 man rosters. No waivers. But yes, definitely trades allowed.

I guess it could also include waivers. I would just prefer it didnt I guess.

However at the end of each year, you really have to have each team cut a lot of guys, maybe keep like 8 guys. In a league like this if one team is royally stacked its over, and over for a long time if you let people keep like 20 players.

Maybe 10, I dont know.

I think it's a great idea. Something like 30 man rosters. No waivers. But yes, definitely trades allowed.

I guess it could also include waivers. I would just prefer it didnt I guess.

However at the end of each year, you really have to have each team cut a lot of guys, maybe keep like 8 guys. In a league like this if one team is royally stacked its over, and over for a long time if you let people keep like 20 players.

Maybe 10, I dont know.
That's a good point - league imbalance would be worse in a best ball league than in a typical dynasty league.

It could use a simple version of contracts, e.g. every player gets a 4-year contract when you sign him (which stays with him if he's traded), and he goes back into the free agent pool at the end of those 4 years (or sooner, if you cut him). Maybe allow each owner to also keep 3 guys whose contract has run out. And rookie contracts could be a year longer.

Users who are viewing this thread