What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone ever install a regular indoor TV outside? (1 Viewer)

Building a covered porch next to our pool right now. Had considered a TV but I think I kind of like the sound of nature out back without a TV. 
Had a similar setup .... loved floating in the pool watching baseball games and relaxing. ... plus could always mute it , I did it a lot with the radio playing music.

#### didn’t even think of this. Next spring is going to be all out war. 
I mounted a TV on the wall of my covered patio a few years ago, and it's amazing. I've got a built in BBQ with a seating counter, and sitting there watching sports as the sun goes down, with a beer and a J, it's magical.

grab one of these to keep off the dirt & dust, easy to take on and off.

if the birds give you trouble, cut this into strips about 12-18 inches long and hang it around the patio. it freaks em out. if you hang it with pushpins, it's easy enough to take off when you have guests over.

Mrs. O and I have been debating whether we need a fancy outdoor TV or just a regular TV for our covered patio. My view has always been that a regular TV would be fine because it’s well covered and wont be exposed to rain or sun and, worst case, we replace the cheap TV next season if it goes.  My theory is that these LED panels are all the same—they’re all from the same makers in China, and I’ll bet these outdoor TV makers just buy those and package them up in weatherproof enclosures (which I don’t need given the location of mine). 

TV nerd squad guy at BestBuy today was trying to convince me to buy a $3k outdoor TV as opposed to the $150 LG LED I was carrying to the front.  Just installed the LG. How long will it last?  NYC region climate. 

I’m betting this thing is humming along nicely this time next year. 
outdoor tv's are the second biggest scam in electronics.  right after "premium cables".

the only advice I would give is to buy one with fantastic brightness.  If my notebook is right you are a samsung guy.  they have fantastic brightness.

Ah, looks like you bought an LG.  For that price, who cares.  that is basically free.

I have one under my covered section of my deck. I put it up 3 years ago. I meant to take it down in the winter, but forgot. We got a hard freeze and I figured it was toast. I went out and checked and it was fine. I've never brought it inside. Still works just fine. It even gets a little wet from time to time. No cover. Nothing. 

Mrs. O and I have been debating whether we need a fancy outdoor TV or just a regular TV for our covered patio. My view has always been that a regular TV would be fine because it’s well covered and wont be exposed to rain or sun and, worst case, we replace the cheap TV next season if it goes. My theory is that these LED panels are all the same—they’re all from the same makers in China, and I’ll bet these outdoor TV makers just buy those and package them up in weatherproof enclosures (which I don’t need given the location of mine).

TV nerd squad guy at BestBuy today was trying to convince me to buy a $3k outdoor TV as opposed to the $150 LG LED I was carrying to the front. Just installed the LG. How long will it last? NYC region climate.

I’m betting this Patio TV Installation services thing is humming along nicely this time next year.
Choosing between a fancy outdoor TV and a regular TV for your covered patio can be a matter of personal preference and budget. While outdoor TVs are specifically designed to withstand outdoor elements, a regular TV can work well if adequately protected in a covered patio. Here are some factors to consider regarding the longevity of your LG LED TV in the NYC region climate:
  1. Environment: The fact that your patio is well covered and the TV won't be directly exposed to rain or sunlight is beneficial. Protection from these elements helps prolong the lifespan of the TV.
  2. Moisture and Humidity: While not exposed to rain, there may still be some level of moisture and humidity in an outdoor setting. Ensure proper ventilation in the area to prevent excessive moisture buildup, which can potentially affect electronic devices.
  3. Temperature Extremes: Outdoor temperatures in the NYC region can vary significantly between seasons. Extreme cold or heat can impact electronic devices. However, since your patio is covered, it should provide some insulation from the most extreme temperature fluctuations.
  4. Quality and Durability: The build quality and durability of the LG LED TV you purchased can play a role in its longevity. While it may not have the same weatherproof enclosures as dedicated outdoor TVs, LG is a reputable brand known for producing reliable consumer electronics.
While it's challenging to predict precisely how long the TV will last, taking precautions such as protecting it from direct exposure to the elements and ensuring proper ventilation can help extend its lifespan. Regular maintenance, such as cleaning the screen and checking for any signs of damage, is also recommended.
Ultimately, your approach of replacing a cheaper TV if needed next season is a valid option. If the LG LED TV continues to function well and meets your requirements, you may enjoy many years of use from it on your covered patio.
Sounds like this is from Chad GPT

I bought a cheap doorbuster special on black friday 2 years ago. 32" TV for $79. It has been outside for 2 years although I do bring it inside for the winter (I live in Iowa) I figured I could be 4 TVs over the course of time and still be under what they want for an "outdoor" TV. I do have a cover on it, but it sits under my overhang so unless the wind is blowing the rain it usually doesn't get very wet.

Mrs. O and I have been debating whether we need a fancy outdoor TV or just a regular TV for our covered patio. My view has always been that a regular TV would be fine because it’s well covered and wont be exposed to rain or sun and, worst case, we replace the cheap TV next season if it goes. My theory is that these LED panels are all the same—they’re all from the same makers in China, and I’ll bet these outdoor TV makers just buy those and package them up in weatherproof enclosures (which I don’t need given the location of mine).

TV nerd squad guy at BestBuy today was trying to convince me to buy a $3k outdoor TV as opposed to the $150 LG LED I was carrying to the front. Just installed the LG. How long will it last? NYC region climate.

I’m betting this Patio TV Installation services thing is humming along nicely this time next year.
Choosing between a fancy outdoor TV and a regular TV for your covered patio can be a matter of personal preference and budget. While outdoor TVs are specifically designed to withstand outdoor elements, a regular TV can work well if adequately protected in a covered patio. Here are some factors to consider regarding the longevity of your LG LED TV in the NYC region climate:
  1. Environment: The fact that your patio is well covered and the TV won't be directly exposed to rain or sunlight is beneficial. Protection from these elements helps prolong the lifespan of the TV.
  2. Moisture and Humidity: While not exposed to rain, there may still be some level of moisture and humidity in an outdoor setting. Ensure proper ventilation in the area to prevent excessive moisture buildup, which can potentially affect electronic devices.
  3. Temperature Extremes: Outdoor temperatures in the NYC region can vary significantly between seasons. Extreme cold or heat can impact electronic devices. However, since your patio is covered, it should provide some insulation from the most extreme temperature fluctuations.
  4. Quality and Durability: The build quality and durability of the LG LED TV you purchased can play a role in its longevity. While it may not have the same weatherproof enclosures as dedicated outdoor TVs, LG is a reputable brand known for producing reliable consumer electronics.
While it's challenging to predict precisely how long the TV will last, taking precautions such as protecting it from direct exposure to the elements and ensuring proper ventilation can help extend its lifespan. Regular maintenance, such as cleaning the screen and checking for any signs of damage, is also recommended.
Ultimately, your approach of replacing a cheaper TV if needed next season is a valid option. If the LG LED TV continues to function well and meets your requirements, you may enjoy many years of use from it on your covered patio.
It was 4 years ago I made that post about installing the $150 open box LG TV in my covered porch. It's been through all those NY winters and NY summers without incident. Good stuff. Suck it, Best Buy.

I have a regular TV mounted on my Lanai and only take it down when I power wash it has withstood many of the Florida sideway wind and rain storms with no issues.

Yes. In SW Ohio weather isn't too harsh but bought this so I didn't have to bother moving inside every winter...

I have one on my covered porch that also has a cover on it while it's outside. I do bring it in from Nov-March, just because it's near the corner of the patio. But it's held up fine over the last few years. I put it up back in 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread