What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone worried about Gronk this season? (1 Viewer)

JustinHawkins

Footballguy
From both a health perspective, and just such a completely different offense. Welker and Hernandez were major parts of this offense. On the one hand, you would think he might be forced fed out of necessity, but the other side of that coin is, couldn't teams just double or triple him and take him away (similar to what happened to Fitz over the last few years?) Granted Brady is a MUCH better QB than anything Fitz has had since Warner left, but you get my point...

What says you sharks?

Well, for one thing he is probably in the top 5 pass catchers in the NFL as far as skill. Nobody gets triple covered in the NFL. You would get killed if you did that with Brady. He'd throw touchdowns to guys like Donald Jones all day if he wasn't even covered.

That said Gronk is an injury worry no doubt. He's had many injuries and Belichick seems intent on making an example of him for some reason. No reason for him to be playing special teams at all and it might have cost the Pats a Super Bowl last season. So I think you could see a reduction in idiotic #### like that.

I think he's going to miss games to be quite honest. I just hope he's healthy come playoff time. I have him well behind Jimmy Graham and well ahead of the next guy (who is that next guy anyways? Pitta? Vernon? Olsen?). I own Gronk in a league and I am seriously considering moving on from him. He isn't going have a long career with his spinal issues. He's young but his window is smaller than Graham's (despite being 2.5 years younger).

All that said, he missed five games last season and was still in the top 5 in my PPR league. He scored 37 fewer fantasy points than position leader Tony Gonzalez on 35 less catches. He'd have lead the tight ends last season had him simply missed three or four games instead of five. He's truly special. I think the only player harder to cover in the NFL is Calvin Johnson. He's a better player than Graham is, but his injuries are going to limit him both short and long term.

Worried, yes. Panicking? No. If you stick in a replacement level TE for those five games he missed (my MFL only goes to week 16)...say Scott Chandler, you still get the top TE points for the year.

Just don't expect to use him the first half of the season. At least don't expect much if you do. After that, expect him to be the stud that he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just don't expect to use home the first half of the season. At least don't expect much if you do. After that, expect him to be tue stud that he is.
I agree with this. Have a guy lined up for early in the season that you can get top 15 points from.

I have an opportunity to buy at a reasonable price (giving VD and a late 1st and late 2nd next year) but not sure how prepared I'd be if he wasn't playing early on since I only have F. Davis and Hernandez who will likely be off my roster by week 1 waivers.

I have an opportunity to buy at a reasonable price (giving VD and a late 1st and late 2nd next year) but not sure how prepared I'd be if he wasn't playing early on since I only have F. Davis and Hernandez who will likely be off my roster by week 1 waivers.
fred Davis should be fine. Actually I am thinking he will be a starting caliber te.

i would pull that trigger.

re-draft yes. Dyno, I wouldnt be that worried. but the forearm seems prone to breakage
Do you really think it is prone to it, or that they rushed him back into action? They did not need him and could have just continued to let that heal. If they thought they would need him in the SB then that may have been the time to bring him back. There was no reason for him to be playing in week 17 vs the Dolphins, much less a first round playoff game vs Houston.

As far as his back goes, he had surgery on his back and missed 2009 in college. He then came into the NFL and has been huge ever since. This was not even the same severity as the 2009 surgery I don't think. I have the feeling that he will be fine.

Easy decision, yes, make the deal.

Gronk may actually have more of a positive impact on your team in weeks 8-13 than having Davis will for the entire season, so I wouldnt worry too much about not having Davis. Find a replacement that scores enough to not lose you game, weather the storm a bit, then score even more the 2nd half of the year.......not to mention the next 10 years.

The thing that worries me most is the first few weeks. Id almost rather him sit and let me get another guy in there. I know his timetable had him for around week 1, but we have to remember that he has had 5 surgeries this offseason. I would imagine that, for where hes used to being, Gronk will be on AWFUL shape at the end of his back timetable. Guy probably has done next to no running, lifting, etc for MONTHS. Thats my biggest concern. When hes gronk, idc what the offense looks like, hes a TD per game player and a huge brady target.

In a redraft league, I'm waiting until I see what happens after the pre season. Whether he starts the season on the PUP list, is whether or not I draft Gronk. In the FBG FFPC the regular season only lasts through week 11. Can't afford to have a high draft pick sit the bench for over half the season.

The problem with Gronk I see this year is that he is likely going to get the Antonio Gates treatment and opposing teams will use bracket coverage on him fulltime, until the Patriot receivers force them to free up the safety for over the top help. He can beat the coverage, but it's going to limit his upside IMO. It was really difficult to double any NE receiver when they had Welker, Hernandez, and Gronk all exploiting the middle of the field. Most of the time the outside WR's were just decoys to keep the safeties out of the middle.

Add in the injury concerns and he's undraftable IMO in a redraft league at his current ADP.

I'm very worried, not just for this year,but for his career..5 surgeries since the end of last season.

a 6'6 265lb extremely athletic TE with a bad back ( if it takes 12 weeks to recover and he also missed the first 6 weeks of 2013 while on IR, you bet it's an serious injury) isn't long for life in the NFL...you can downplay it all you want,

but what you're looking at is yet another player , not unlike Bo Jackson,whose career was cut short due to injuries..

I wouldn't touch him at all :no: let someone else make that mistake.

If anyone can do it its him! He can pull a Peterson! He is an absolute difference maker for your team, possibly more than Peterson himself!

I'm very worried, not just for this year,but for his career..5 surgeries since the end of last season.

a 6'6 265lb extremely athletic TE with a bad back ( if it takes 12 weeks to recover and he also missed the first 6 weeks of 2013 while on IR, you bet it's an serious injury) isn't long for life in the NFL...you can downplay it all you want,

but what you're looking at is yet another player , not unlike Bo Jackson,whose career was cut short due to injuries..

I wouldn't touch him at all :no: let someone else make that mistake.
I'm kind of on board with this actually. The backs is scary. Add to that Brady is getting long in the tooth and you could make a case that Gronk's best ball is already behind him.

The problem with Gronk I see this year is that he is likely going to get the Antonio Gates treatment and opposing teams will use bracket coverage on him fulltime, until the Patriot receivers force them to free up the safety for over the top help. He can beat the coverage, but it's going to limit his upside IMO. It was really difficult to double any NE receiver when they had Welker, Hernandez, and Gronk all exploiting the middle of the field. Most of the time the outside WR's were just decoys to keep the safeties out of the middle.

Add in the injury concerns and he's undraftable IMO in a redraft league at his current ADP.
Gates was double teamed a super majority of the time when he had 12 TDs through 10 games, on a worse team.

Gates was double teamed a super majority of the time when he had 12 TDs through 10 games, on a worse team.
It was 10 TDs. He's only had more than 12 TDs once when he had 13 in 2004. And he was healthy and played a lot of cupcake defenses that season. Gronk is neither and he's got a decent schedule this season. Comparing apples and oranges.Oh and if I remember correctly that offense finished top 5 and Rivers was a top 3 QB. Hardly a bad offense, mainly a horrid special teams.

It was 10 TDs. He's only had more than 12 TDs once when he had 13 in 2004. And he was healthy and played a lot of cupcake defenses that season. Gronk is neither and he's got a decent schedule this season. Comparing apples and oranges.Oh and if I remember correctly that offense finished top 5 and Rivers was a top 3 QB. Hardly a bad offense, mainly a horrid special teams.
10 in 10, so be it. Also he wasn't healthy he had plantar faciitis the entire season and it became inflamed in like game 6 and he finally stopped playing in game 10 which I believe was after their bye. The reason that offense did so well was because of Gates and Sproles, that was the year that VJax was sitting out and 3/4 of their WR core was injured.

Idk what point your trying to make, all I'm saying is being double teamed means absolutely nothing to elite TEs that are stronger and taller then every pass defender on the field, when Gronk comes back unless he reinjures or Tom Brady dies he will be a top 2 TE.

In redrafts if i cant get graham, im not touching a until 7-8 at the earliest and not touching gronk until 10 or later, and only if i have a TE already, and only if he is best available.

Problem is he never lasts that long, so i dont have to worry about that headache.

Ive seen him go as high as 30th, gross

Users who are viewing this thread