What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apple Guys: What I-Phone To Buy For Daughter? (1 Viewer)

Binky The Doormat

Footballguy
We are not an Apple family.  We did buy a G-5, with big screen back in 2000 or so with the idea of doing video editing.  Didn't do any editing.  

My 14 yr-old daughter really wants an I-Phone for Christmas.  I have no clue what version to buy or the significant differences between the later models.  

We typically buy used, reconditioned phones off of Ebay that are Verizon based so we just take them to the store to get set up.  Hoping to spend $500-$600, but understand I may need to go up to $800 or so.  

Can I get some advice from those out there that are Apple I-Phone saavy?  TIA.

Al lthings considered I would get her the XR

its $150 more than the 8 and I think worth the difference. No way would I go with a 7

Last edited by a moderator:
Al lthings considered I would get her the XR

its $150 more than the 8 and I think worth the difference. No way would I go with a 7
thanks - she would definitely like the larger screen and better camera. 

Man, I am used to buying "3-4 generations behind" Galaxies for a couple hundred bucks max :).

I love my XR--just upgraded from a 6, so it is a big change. Really nice phone--big screen, great pics.

My two teenage daughters all have 8's and they seem to like them--so I guess it just depends on what you want to spend.

Buy her a 7 and let her know that this is her trial year. If she gets through this year without any issues with her 7, you will happily upgrade her next Christmas. It sounds like this is her first phone/smart phone. Give her some responsibility and reward for taking care of it.

Buy her a 7 and let her know that this is her trial year. If she gets through this year without any issues with her 7, you will happily upgrade her next Christmas. It sounds like this is her first phone/smart phone. Give her some responsibility and reward for taking care of it.
thanks man, excellent idea - I may go that route.  

I will say that she is more responsible than both my wife and I at this point. :)

and also serves as our family IT department.  

Same boat here. Daughter turns 14 on Christmas Eve. Got her a cheap Samsung phone when she started 7th grade last year. She has asked for an iPhone which i think she wants for the camera aspects.

I used a 5s until recently and considered all of them. Got the 6s because it’s still small enough to not drive me insane but has the live photo option that my wife constantly wants me to use to get pictures of our dogs.  

There’s a company that sells refurbished 128 gig 6s phones on Amazon for about $250.  

Same boat here. Daughter turns 14 on Christmas Eve. Got her a cheap Samsung phone when she started 7th grade last year. She has asked for an iPhone which i think she wants for the camera aspects.
The iPhone cameras are not always the best on smart phones. I know how kids use their phones and cameras but if they are taking selfies or small group photos, the best camera is not going to take better pictures than a generation or two or three ago. Those newer types of features use more advanced techniques that a 14-15 year old does not use.

The iPhone cameras are not always the best on smart phones. I know how kids use their phones and cameras but if they are taking selfies or small group photos, the best camera is not going to take better pictures than a generation or two or three ago. Those newer types of features use more advanced techniques that a 14-15 year old does not use.
my kid is Chinese and I think she is already working to redo our will ...so camera features are child's play.  

my kid is Chinese and I think she is already working to redo our will ...so camera features are child's play.  
Kids play with snapchat features and putting dog ears on a selfie. Kids do not use slow motion video to better their tennis serve form. The videos they take are never filtered or do they ever use other apps to doctor up photos/videos. She isn't able to tell you the difference of the cameras nor explain what the differences do. If you think she knows the differences of those cameras, ask her how she will use those features. 100% guarantee she will look at you and ask you if you went crazy or are making that stuff up.

Kids play with snapchat features and putting dog ears on a selfie. Kids do not use slow motion video to better their tennis serve form. The videos they take are never filtered or do they ever use other apps to doctor up photos/videos. She isn't able to tell you the difference of the cameras nor explain what the differences do. If you think she knows the differences of those cameras, ask her how she will use those features. 100% guarantee she will look at you and ask you if you went crazy or are making that stuff up.
yeah ...I was just ####in' around.

Users who are viewing this thread