What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

are we close to defeating death by aging? (1 Viewer)

mr. furley

Footballguy
https://www.outsideonline.com/2325556/liz-parrish-live-forever

a Reddit AMA with Liz Parrish - CEO of BioViva - https://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/3ocsbi/ama_my_name_is_liz_parrish_ceo_of_bioviva_the/

What about ordinary people: Would they be able to afford the treatment? “Gene therapy technology is much like computing technology,” she replied. “We had to build the super computer, which cost $8 million in the 1960s. Now everyone has technologies that work predictably and at a cost the average person can afford.”

As the AMA went on, the questions started to become more existential. “If/when this becomes reality for the general public,” someone asked, “how will this affect population rates?” And what about the physical limitations of the planet? What about the possibility that we could create two classes of people: an overclass that could afford to pay for these therapies and an underclass that dies right on schedule?

BioViva wasn’t “trying to determine who should live or die,” Parrish wrote. “Everyone has a right to life without suffering.” A user assailed her logic: “It’s not obviously true that life-extension technology will reduce the number of lives lived in suffering.… You are trying to create technologies which, if successful, are likely to change the distribution of deaths among the population, and the potential wider effects of that change deserve some consideration.”

She responded quickly. “As life span increases, fertility rates go down all over the world,” she wrote. “Humans will create better technology and space travel will increase.” She soon signed off. The good outcomes that had seemed obvious to her were apparently less obvious to the rest of the world.

@Maurile Tremblay

Last edited by a moderator:
Bug life, bug life, bug life - everywhere i look i see more & more bug life from people, Americans specifically. Give me more, more, more for longer, longer, longer without me having to add to the pile one little bit as long as i can afford it all. This is a killing philosophy, people, a disease within itself.

For all I have against it, religion saw this, society knew we couldnt all be kings, that many more of us than not needed to act in a godly manner for the species to thrive. Be thankful for your portion, your genetic & geographic luck, and celebrate the plenty you have with as many as you can. We crash unless we do.

I don't have enough in my 401K for this.
This! 

Unless you are one of the super rich, this is a non starter. I will be damned if I’m working past my planned retiremet age. Working into your 100’s? I would be wishing for death by that point.

Umm, do you read the article before posting? Sure seems more like shill to me. I was thinking something interesting and the more I read the more it reminds me of any other con artist. 

Umm, do you read the article before posting? Sure seems more like shill to me. I was thinking something interesting and the more I read the more it reminds me of any other con artist. 
i read the whole thing. from start to finish. it was exhausting. at least 20 minutes of my already too short life that i'll never get back. though, if everything goes well, in a few years i'll get some of that time back. it's amazing.

maybe you should read the article :shrug:

In 1994, L.A. police arrested a man for dressing up as the Grim Reaper and standing outside the windows of old peoples' homes.

This guy will not be happy about this.

This! 

Unless you are one of the super rich, this is a non starter. I will be damned if I’m working past my planned retiremet age. Working into your 100’s? I would be wishing for death by that point.
Maybe just save up and buy a robot to work for you.

They need to hurry up and finish this so that they can focus on technology that would accurately verify whether the ball crossed the goalline.   

Damn. I'm trying to remember a scifi story I read a long time ago. In the story people no longer die. Somehow I forget why, but a guy dies and is quickly brought back to life. While he's temporarily dead he meets some other guy who is waiting somewhere in the ether to point dead people in the right direction, but has had nothing to do for millennia.

That's all I remember. It's bugging me and I wish I could remember the title so I could reread it. 

i read the whole thing. from start to finish. it was exhausting. at least 20 minutes of my already too short life that i'll never get back. though, if everything goes well, in a few years i'll get some of that time back. it's amazing.

I did and it was exhausting as well and I saw nothing in that article that made me believe their gene therapy (or whatever they were injecting) was successful in getting anywhere “close” to defeating aging. What did you see that triggered you into thinking they were close like your thread title suggests?

Also, here you go:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2016/08/01/did-a-biotech-ceo-reverse-her-own-aging-process-maybe/amp/

Just an FYI, did you know that Parrish is an actress/singer, not a scientist and amazingly, her company has nothing to do with the telomere discoveries, but they sure are using that to sell their wares. Seeing as how her therapy was done in 2015, shouldn’t she be easily proven to have reversed her aging?

Also, here you go:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2016/08/01/did-a-biotech-ceo-reverse-her-own-aging-process-maybe/amp/

Just an FYI, did you know that Parrish is an actress/singer, not a scientist and amazingly, her company has nothing to do with the telomere discoveries, but they sure are using that to sell their wares. Seeing as how her therapy was done in 2015, shouldn’t she be easily proven to have reversed her aging?
i'm not shilling for the company, fella. calm your ####. your anger about this leads me to believe she's your wife.

this is a launching point to a larger discussion. if it makes you angry, maybe try the baseball forum instead?

i'm not shilling for the company, fella. calm your ####. your anger about this leads me to believe she's your wife.

this is a launching point to a larger discussion. if it makes you angry, maybe try the baseball forum instead?
Whoa, the test forum is that way guy 

Lol. WTF are you talking about? I always love telling people they’re angry while screaming about it. I was saying that she was a shill for something her company doesn’t really do. I didn’t get the least bit angry, I was more laughing on the inside that someone might believe the schlock in that article.

How does that equate to her being my wife? Wouldn’t I be happy in that case that you linked her article helping to potentially increasing her sales? Oh, and you still didn’t answer my question about what in the article made you think it was “close” to reality?

Fat, drunk, stupid and of course angry is no way to go through life. 

Never mind defeating death, I wonder how close we really are to slowing down the aging process substantially?  People are living much longer now than before but that's mainly due to better treatment and diagnosis of heart disease and cancer.  In our lifetime will it become the norm for people to live past 100 and be in reasonably good physical shape?  To accomplish that I think we'd need to be able to do some type of gene therapy that radically slows down aging.  I'd like to say it's likely in the next 20 or 30 years but I was told we'd be riding flying cars and skateboards by now so I'm a skeptic. 

Lol. WTF are you talking about? I always love telling people they’re angry while screaming about it. I was saying that she was a shill for something her company doesn’t really do. I didn’t get the least bit angry, I was more laughing on the inside that someone might believe the schlock in that article.

How does that equate to her being my wife? Wouldn’t I be happy in that case that you linked her article helping to potentially increasing her sales? Oh, and you still didn’t answer my question about what in the article made you think it was “close” to reality?

Fat, drunk, stupid and of course angry is no way to go through life. 
@Fat Drunk and Stupid

Never mind defeating death, I wonder how close we really are to slowing down the aging process substantially?  People are living much longer now than before but that's mainly due to better treatment and diagnosis of heart disease and cancer.  In our lifetime will it become the norm for people to live past 100 and be in reasonably good physical shape?  To accomplish that I think we'd need to be able to do some type of gene therapy that radically slows down aging.  I'd like to say it's likely in the next 20 or 30 years but I was told we'd be riding flying cars and skateboards by now so I'm a skeptic. 
this research in to telomere's is fascinating. still relatively new to science it seems. 

the idea that slowing or halting the process by which they deteriorate looks promising and the resultant discoveries as a result of research in to telomere aging could lead to some amazing things.

this research in to telomere's is fascinating. still relatively new to science it seems. 

the idea that slowing or halting the process by which they deteriorate looks promising and the resultant discoveries as a result of research in to telomere aging could lead to some amazing things.
After we're dead of course.

For me life is like going to see a pretty okay movie. The movie is pretty good, so I'm not going to walk out right now. But if the usher comes and taps me on the shoulder, that's fine. I'm not throwing a fit or anything.

Living forever sounds ####### awful, though. I wish I knew when I was going to die. If they figure that out, I'm a buyer.

Users who are viewing this thread