What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you actively involved in Fantasy Football? (vote) (1 Viewer)

Are you?

• Yes

Votes: 201 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 86 30.0%
  • Not right now, but I plan to be soon.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Despyzer

Lousy Attention Whore
In another thread, someone was trying to make a point by indicating that 99% of users on this forum are involved in Fantasy Football. He good-naturedly admitted he was just making that number up, but it did make me curious.

This is the first time in like 25 years I'm not in any fantasy leagues. I'm very happy with that arrangement.
I’m getting here. Have 1 dyno league that’s 15 years old and costs $15. I’m pretty bad at it because I don’t really care. 

I played regularly from the late 80s until around 2008.  I didn't miss fantasy football a bit for the past decade but got sucked back into the Summerpalooza music nerd draft this year.

No.  I just like to bet on games occasionally now.  I enjoy football way more without playing FF.

I enjoyed playing FF when I did play, I just think it's run its course for me personally. 

The biggest problem with most leagues now is that you have to be glued to Twitter 24-7 to get free agents and monitor injuries.  Also, for example, Yahoo releases all players at 1am not picked up on waivers, and you have fantasy guys on the internet at 1:30am picking up free agents.  I don't have time for that ####.  A person with a family and career simply can't compete with a single 25 year old.

My annual 5-6 leagues is down to 1 now.  The main reason I stay in that league is because every player not on a team is locked as a waiver - no free agents.  I have a fair shot on a backup RB when the starting RB tore his ACL at 1:30pm on a Tuesday. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, I still am. I'm in 3 leagues, haven't read one thing about football all offseason - the only thing I can say for sure is Lev Bell is holding out as of now, I know nothing else in this field. 

Over the weekend, I tried to quit on 2 of the 3 leagues, but each GM said it was unfair to do that so close to the draft, which I agreed. I autodrafted in one of those leagues, I have two drafts tonight, I'll be autodrafting in one of them. 

Next year I'll be down to one league, which is more about staying in touch with some old buddies than caring about FF. 

Next year I'll be down to one league, which is more about staying in touch with some old buddies than caring about FF. 
That was the only reason I had hung on for as long as I did. Last year I realized I'll keep in touch with them anyway if I want to. The FF just wasn't enjoyable in any way. Why do I need to waste my time and energy caring about what other people do that I have absolutely no control over or influence on? Now, without the FF overhead, I can focus more attention on politics!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in two leagues, both work related.  I have a league I started at my office about 20 years ago or so, 10 team league, most of the same group of guys.  When I started it we used to hand write your picks on giant sheets and then I used to type the picks in (one by one) into the old CBS website.  This one is semi-old school now, we use ESPN's site, snake draft, everyone brings a laptop but, still, the BEST part about it is the live, in person draft.  I make it mandatory that if you're going to be in the league, you have to commit to the live (in person) draft but I will make exceptions.  I just don't want people getting lazy and dialing it in.  This is really laid back, a lot of fun, great group of guys, cost is $50, 1st, 2nd and 3rd place money.

The second league is my brother's office.  24 guys, two 12 team leagues the winner of league 1 plays winner of league 2 for all the cash and glory.  The best I've done in this league is advance to the semi-finals, it's a brutal league, lots of sharks, I've only met maybe 10% of these guys, I think it's $35?  I can't recall the payout, I honestly don't worry about it b/c I'm not good enough to win against these guys, I'm in it just for fun, I don't take it too seriously.

The biggest problem with most leagues now is that you have to be glued to Twitter 24-7 to get free agents and monitor injuries.  Also, for example, Yahoo releases all players at 1am not picked up on waivers, and you have fantasy guys on the internet at 1:30am picking up free agents.  I don't have time for that ####.  A person with a family and career simply can't compete with a single 25 year old.

My annual 5-6 leagues is down to 1 now.  The main reason I stay in that league is because every player not on a team is locked as a waiver - no free agents.  I have a fair shot on a backup RB when the starting RB tore his ACL at 1:30pm on a Tuesday. 
Yes, my remaining leave has a noon Wednesday lock in determined by record. After that single round it is free for all.

Same 14-team league that started before the days of the Internet with the same group of GB's from high-school. Draft will start at 9:30am Sunday and probably end up lasting 10 hours. Everyone will be there live for the draft and everyone will be smashed. Trash-talk will be loud and obnoxious all day long. Wouldnt miss it for the world.  :thumbup:   :banned:

I'm running a dyno now going into it's 7th year. Still have over half the original 16 owners. Lucky to still be in complete love with doing this and blessed to have found the proper balance of fantasy teams to have each year.

The one team in this dyno is the only one I play with each year since we've started. 1 team to worry about is perfect and I've never been happier in fantasyland. 1 team, it's still something to be involved with, and doesn't overwhelm or cause conflict of interest by having 3 or 4 different teams.

Been over a decade since I participated. Other than the actual draft, it just seemed like a grind at the end. My wife looked at me one day and said "Then why don't you quit?" When I realized I had no rebuttal whatsoever, I did.

I'm in wayyyy too many leagues.  I'm in 7 dynasty leagues.  Each one is just a little different than the next, so it's hard to just drop one or two.  I do a few best ball leagues and I'm in a league with the other writers here at FBG.   And one little redraft with some longtime friends.  All in all it is becoming a little overwhelming.

I didn't intentionally quit, just long-time league dissolved. So 2nd year removed for me. I miss it a little, but not enough to go and start another league. IF my old mates wanted to go again - I would join.

Been playing for about 20 yrs. Have been in as many as 6 leagues a year, down to 4 now, all redraft.

Redaft imo gives you the time off in the off-season needed to look forward to playing again in the fall.

My last draft of the year is tonight 

:thumbup:

This is the first year since 1999 that I'm not in a redraft league.  I'm still in three 32-team dynasty leagues, but the bulk of the work for those leagues is done in the offseason.  It'll be nice not to worry about stupid waiver wire pickups this year. 

I stopped running my league of 25 years this year.  I was out until someone offered to run it.

I did zero prep and just drafted based on the website we use.  I don't know some of the guys I drafted :lol:

I think this is my final year. I'll probably stay in my one dynasty league and thats it

Solid example of voluntary response bias. Those not involved in fantasy football and still here will have this thread beckon to them like an insect to a bug zapper. I feel confident this poll will exaggerate the true percentage of those still here not involved in fantasy football. 

One league. Kinda hoped it would fold once it turned out we wouldn’t have an in-person draft this year and half autodrafted last year, but it didn’t. 

This year we just preranked players and let ESPN autodraft, which was interesting.

Spent $5 on the draft dominator app to rank players and that was the sum total of my research.

Won’t miss it when it most likely dies after this year.

One league. Kinda hoped it would fold once it turned out we wouldn’t have an in-person draft this year and half autodrafted last year, but it didn’t.
Been in two long-running live-draft leagues (one redraft, one keep-6) with the same group of post-college friends. We had a few years where 3 or 4 guys had to draft remotely by phone (including me twice) and I was wondering if things were going to fall apart slowly. But since about 2015 or so, everyone's made the live drafts ... so for now, we're strong.

I went from living FF all year around to phasing myself out and have been out for three years now (this will be my 3rd year).  I got out for all the reason people around here usually cite. its different, etc, etc. I have to say i enjoy football a lot more now. I just couldn't imagine another year of all the ways FF takes over people's lives...for what? I remember the silly stuff i did, the half-invested holiday time i put in, the "i gotta be here by this time so I can set a lineup, watch a game", etc. It just ran its course.

Its not a knock on anyone who pours their heart and soul into FF. I did for a long time. It is admirable in some ways. But I think it definitely has a shelf life.  

I commish two leagues.. one is a local league with family and friends.. The live draft is of course the highlight.. So much fun getting together and :pokey: over bad picks..

The other one is just a group of us that have been together for 15+ years.. 

Still enjoy it quite a bit.

Solid example of voluntary response bias. Those not involved in fantasy football and still here will have this thread beckon to them like an insect to a bug zapper. I feel confident this poll will exaggerate the true percentage of those still here not involved in fantasy football. 
I understand what you're saying and agree. I just couldn't think of a better way to gauge involvement. I do, however, believe the answer is well south of 99%.

I'm still in one league and this is year 17 for me.  The league hit 25 years this year.    The league consists of long time friends and doesn't take that much effort since I love football and the NFL.   We have a live draft at noon on Sunday during Labor Day weekend and we hang out all day.   Draft day is normally the highlight of the FF season but the rest of the season is pretty good.  

I don't make FF or even the NFL a priority in my life these days though.  If it's nice outside or I have stuff to do, I don't watch the games.  The games are entertainment, not my life.  

I understand what you're saying and agree. I just couldn't think of a better way to gauge involvement. I do, however, believe the answer is well south of 99%.
The poll could mainly be about which national chain has the best pizza, and then include fantasy football participation as a secondary question not featured in the headline.

I’m not sure what the true number would be. Above the results in this poll, but below 99%, seems like a safe bet.

Around 99% seems right for the Assistant Coach Forum.

It's running 2 to 1 in favor of those still participating. I think that's likely about right TBH.

Still plugging along. But down to 1 dynasty and 1 redraft--both my original leagues for those types. Started the redraft in 1998 and the dynasty in 2005.

I was up to 8 at one point. Was so happy when I cut it down to 2. One dynasty, one local live redraft party. No regrats. This year I added 2 more redrafts :bag:  Work has a league so I felt I needed to do that with my peeps. Then I started an all industry league. 12 Co-managed leagues between 12 breweries. Adding those 2 actually got me back excited about this thing. I don't think I'll do much actual extra work. I'm still on top of everything, so just extra clicks on the roster/wire. We'll see if I regert it. ?‍♂️ 

3 leagues and little FanDuel.  Got pulled into a draft as I was walking out of work back in '97.  A bunch of MBA kids that we had hired needed one more.  Had no idea what I was doing but enjoyed it.  Started a league with golf buddies the next year and it's still going.  In person draft - lots of gambling and fun. 

I joined another longtime local league last year, it's ok, but nowhere near what our other league is.  

I also got in the TimLeeg last year and this year.  It's a mess :)

I still enjoy it.  

Down to one league. Tried to quit it but that would have closed it down so got sucked back in for another year.

We'll see

2 leagues i run.  One I'm about done with. When Brady retires I'm folding that league.

I didn't even enjoy the live draft this year much.

My dentist league has the same ten guys for 20 years and a nice mostly live draft.  I'll keep it until people start quitting.

Stopped in 2006. No ragrets.

My old league tried to sucker me back in while we all got together again at a wedding. I was drunk, but still resisted.

I can't even watch college football anymore, let alone the NFL.

I still play in one league and still enjoy it

might have to do with the fact that the most leagues I was ever in at one time was 2.  Didn’t burn out ...

2 leagues i run.  One I'm about done with. When Brady retires I'm folding that league.

I didn't even enjoy the live draft this year much.

My dentist league has the same ten guys for 20 years and a nice mostly live draft.  I'll keep it until people start quitting.
roto football is like pulling teeth.

I was up to 8 at one point. Was so happy when I cut it down to 2. One dynasty, one local live redraft party. No regrats. This year I added 2 more redrafts :bag:  Work has a league so I felt I needed to do that with my peeps. Then I started an all industry league. 12 Co-managed leagues between 12 breweries. Adding those 2 actually got me back excited about this thing. I don't think I'll do much actual extra work. I'm still on top of everything, so just extra clicks on the roster/wire. We'll see if I regert it. ?‍♂️ 
Your dynasty league was my longest-running league and my only league for the last few years.  I would've quit earlier but my roster was just so bad that I felt ####ty sticking a new owner with such garbage.

I still play but not as nearly involved.  Actually you really don`t need to be as there is so much free info and the sites do the work for you. 

yes and have played every year for...... 20 or so years?

but never for big money, or high stakes. topped out at 2 leagues. i don't gamble or obsess over it. 

i love the NFL. playing fantasy football keeps me reading articles and following news that may otherwise go by the board.

Users who are viewing this thread