What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aretha Franklin (1 Viewer)

Thanks Groot I thought this deserved its own thread.
Yeah, there is a music draft going on and Tim's album thread so I think most of the conversation was happening in those places. She definitely deserves her own thread. She was one of the biggest icons in the world. 

Legend.  RIP

Little eerie that the queen of soul, the king of rock (Elvis Presley) and the sultan of swat (Babe Ruth) all died on August 16.  Rough day.  
So did The King of Delta River Blues (Robert Johnson) but to balance it out a bit, the Queen of Pop (Madonna) is celebrating her birthday today. 

I was reading about her life....crazy that she was pregnant at 12 and then had a second child at the age of 14.  

Any detail on if GM paid her for the pink cadilac plug?

There is this bar in downtown Detroit next to Eastern Market that many old Motown singers have be known to go to on Saturday afternoon.  I saw Aretha there about 7-8 years ago and she was really in decline even then.  Then when she sang the National Anthem at the Lions game on Thanksgiving 2 years ago I believe that was her last public performance.  Detroit lost an icon for sure...RIP

There is this bar in downtown Detroit next to Eastern Market that many old Motown singers have be known to go to on Saturday afternoon.  I saw Aretha there about 7-8 years ago and she was really in decline even then.  Then when she sang the National Anthem at the Lions game on Thanksgiving 2 years ago I believe that was her last public performance.  Detroit lost an icon for sure...RIP
Bert's?

She was the last of Detroit's living legends and a great ambassador of the city, she will be missed. RIP

Bert's?

She was the last of Detroit's living legends and a great ambassador of the city, she will be missed. RIP
Yes...if you go there on a Saturday afternoon to the back karaoke many of the old Motown backup singers are there every week. And the occasional Smokey Robinson and others pop in. We were there one time and I said "Wow that older woman can really sing..it was Martha Reeves.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Fathom Events:

We're excited to offer our subscribers a chance to claim free tickets to Amazing Grace in select markets.

This never before seen concert features the legendary Aretha Franklin as she puts on an impassioned performance with the backing of a full church choir. Filmed at the New Bethel Baptist Church in Watts, Los Angeles in 1972, The New Yorker claims "It's very existence is a miracle".

Free passes are available in Atlanta, Detroit, Memphis, Philadelphia, and the Washington DC Metro. Restrictions apply. Please check the registration page for more details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread