What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arizona is awesome! (1 Viewer)

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy
Landed in Phoenix on Sunday. Rented a surprisingly awesome Buick Enclave – perfect for the nearly 1000 miles we ended up driving. Great ride and I’d consider buying one of those. 

Drove to Sedona. To say that place is beautiful is like saying Lake Superior is big – a severe understatement. It was a bit rainy so we weren’t able to do a lot. But there are nice hills outside of town toucan drive through that have some nice views. Stayed at the affordable Sedona Real hotel https://www.sedonareal.com - a great location with decent enough rooms (has a fireplace – nice for a January visit). Ate at the overrated & overpriced Cowboy Club.

Day two started early with a hand made breakfast provided by the hotel. With real eggs. Nice touch. Then it was off to hike the Devil’s Bridge trail  Thehttps://www.greatsedonahikes.com/devilsbr/devilsbr.htm The four mile round trip results in some amazing views. The bridge itself was a bit dicey because it was snow & ice covered. But it was awesome.

After a short lunch break for some jerky and trail mix, we went to the Chapel of the Holy Cross - https://www.gatewaytosedona.com/the-chapel-of-the-holy-cross-sedona-architectural-landmark Alhough I’m not Christian, it was worth seeing. From there we set off for a bit too long walk around Courthouse Rock. We should have opted for the shorter walk around Bell Rock but a fellow hiker said Courthouse was more scenic. It was great, but tired us out. We ate super at the really terrific, hole in the wall Tortas de Fuego  https://www.tortasdefuegosedona.com Great food, great value!

Day three was Grand Canyon day. The drive up through Flagstaff was nice because we took the less traveled route north via Hwy 89A. We attempted to go through the loop of Sunset Crater/Wupatki Ruins but the road was closed https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/cant-make-it-to-the-moon-head-to-arizona-instead-180952821/ Gassed up and shopped in Cameron a bit, then headed for the GC.  Short story – no pictures nor words can prepare you for the grandeur. I get that Christie Brinkley is the best, but Clark Griswold should have spent more time there. I wish we’d had time to stop at the Little Colorado River Gorge. Those sheer walls looked cool from the road! 

We drove up to Tuba City and stayed at the Hopi tribe owned Moenkopi Legacy Inn  https://www.experiencehopi.com It is a nice place to stay, but don’t let the pictures fool you – its surrounded by other businesses and not in the open like it’s shown. Still, it’s a modern hotel and was fine considering we just needed it as a place to overnight.

Day four – Monument Valley! https://navajonationparks.org/tribal-parks/monument-valley/  Beautiful drive just getting there from Tuba City. You’ve seen the monuments in the movies, but seeing them in person is awesome. We took a two hour horseback tour with our Navajo guide, Harold, through places you can’t drive through. Really cool.

Took a beautiful drive from Kayenta to Chinle down Indian Route 59. After driving through the post – apocalyptic city that is Chinle (really, it’s sad) and wondering what kind of place we’d be staying at we arrived at the wonderfully quaint Thunderbird Lodge https://thunderbirdlodge.com Located right next to the Canyon de Chelly National Monument The rooms were small but nice, best described as rustic, but still nice and clean.

Day five the intention was to either horseback, hike, or both through the Canyon de Chelly https://www.nps.gov/cach/planyourvisit/index.htm but our kids tapped out. My wife and I both regret not going on our own and we’re not sure why we didn’t. The hike would have been cool https://www.nps.gov/cach/planyourvisit/things2do.htm Anyway, the drive at the top of the Canyon offered more great views.

Then we started the long drive back to Phoenix (actually to Scottsdale). There wasn’t much to see from Chinle to Winslow. The Petrified Forest park was closed but I’m not sure I cared – seems just like the Badlands of ND/SD to me. My wife and daughter thought it was cool standing on the corner in Winslow. My son said that we all get excited about the strangest things – as he set off to collect Winslow’s offerings for Pokémon Go.

One of my favorite parts of the trip was the WIDE open and straight road of highway 87 heading out from Winslow. A true driver’s delight with nobody pushing you from behind or slowing you down ahead. 

Ended up in Fountain Hills for two days of doing not much but being outside in the near 70 degree weather. We did dune buggy for a couple hours. My daughter liked it but I thought it cost too much for what you got.

Came home Saturday.

What a great place is Arizona! 

Our route (pick any of the PHX airport options to start Google Mapsl - http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=phx&daddr=Cameron to%3AGrand Canyon Village to%3AMonument Valley to%3AMany Farms to%3APetrified Forest National Park to%3AWinslow to%3APhoenix Sky Harbor International Airport&geocode=FVQ2_gEdlOVS-SmlcAMzXA4rhzFC7lbi1TX1gg%3D%3D%3BFfRrIwIdSPlb-SkZecGwcjcyhzFJjpildCK-BA%3D%3D%3BFawlJgIdsuBQ-Skl4_-VTxczhzGhniKadMLMuA%3D%3D%3BFYyLNAId5wdw-Sn9aKH_gzE3hzFuS6YEF5GfzQ%3D%3D%3BFQuzKgIdIl13-SkB7ofN8IAwhzGqVQgOKIOw8Q%3D%3D%3BFUsQFwId6Nt0-SmbLac7PpsvhzHNLoyMPfIm8A%3D%3D%3BFTttFgIdc-Rm-Sm3Q6RgC0IuhzHoJhf1r1HIwQ%3D%3D%3BFVQ2_gEdlOVS-SmlcAMzXA4rhzFC7lbi1TX1gg%3D%3D&dirflg=d

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I've lived here for 17 years and haven't done most of what you did in your trip. Glanced at the canyon once for a few minutes. Didn't even look real. Sounds like you had a great time.

Agree. Really enjoyed Arizona last Summer.

Work your way down South next time. Saguaro NP is awesome and the Tucson area has quite a bit to offer. Chiricahua looks cool, but I didn't get there on our trip. Walnut Canyon, near Flagstaff, also looked cool but we didn't have time to go there.

So you didn't do four corners? We didn't either. Too far out of the way as we went from Flagstaff up to Moab. I've heard it's kind of disappointing and not worth the detour. Kids wanted to go, but I told them I'd rather spend that time in Moab.

Agree. Really enjoyed Arizona last Summer.

Work your way down South next time. Saguaro NP is awesome and the Tucson area has quite a bit to offer. Chiricahua looks cool, but I didn't get there on our trip. Walnut Canyon, near Flagstaff, also looked cool but we didn't have time to go there.

So you didn't do four corners? We didn't either. Too far out of the way as we went from Flagstaff up to Moab. I've heard it's kind of disappointing and not worth the detour. Kids wanted to go, but I told them I'd rather spend that time in Moab.
Next time I'd make time to visit Page and Tucson. 

It was a little cold north of Flagstaff but I'm sure for what we did it was better than it being 110 degrees. 

None of us thought it'd be worth it to go out of the way for Four Corners. 

Can't swing it this winter, but really want to check out Sedona as a winter vacation stop to get away from the cold north east for a few weeks.

Andy Dufresne said:
Next time I'd make time to visit Page and Tucson. 

It was a little cold north of Flagstaff but I'm sure for what we did it was better than it being 110 degrees. 

None of us thought it'd be worth it to go out of the way for Four Corners. 
We lucked out with the temps in June. Phoenix was mid 90s and Tucson mid 80s. Looks like Tucson's around 70 this time of year. Just about perfect.

Hey, Andy, glad you had a great time.

Most of your links are 404's though. Not sure why, but that's how it is.  

Next time head south and I will give you guys a guided tour and hike. Bummer that some of those things were closed. I hate to say it but you missed some cool stuff. Grand Canyon is my favorite place ever. Love hiking in it. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Seriously if you ever venture more south I would be happy to take you guys on some hikes. I frequent the Saguaro National Monument West a lot. I am coming close to having hiked all of their trails. Its a goal of mine along with hiking the entire Arizona trail. Tombstone is down here as well and is a must visit in my opinion.

Chinle area is rough. Crazy how they have starving stray horses the way some city's have stray cats. I also remember not feeling very welcome there. I always assumed it was because we were white but I could be wrong about that but there was some definite bad vibes from folks there towards us. Have ever read any of the Jim Chee novels by Tony Hillerman? Many of them take place around there and I did a tour visiting the sites and towns of those books. It was fun. :nerd:

So we did nearly the same trip this last summer...

Flew into Arizona, then to Sedona.  Along the way we hit the montezuma something settlement built into the rock wall which was neat.  Sedona was amazing - pink Jeep tour, cactus fries, great sites and hiking. Drive up through flagstaff and west to a Native American Reservation. From there we did a day long Grand Canyon rafting tour which was incredible. 120 degrees in the canyon with 40 degree water / sweat then shiver then sweat then shiver. 

Great destination if you dig hiking and nature. 

cap'n grunge said:
Actually I've lived here for 17 years and haven't done most of what you did in your trip. Glanced at the canyon once for a few minutes. Didn't even look real. Sounds like you had a great time.
You live in AZ and haven't hiked or rafted the canyon or been to Sedona?

I've been to Sedona and I absolutely loved it.  It is absolutely gorgeous and the vortex's have soo much energy.   It really is a magical place.  If you make it back to Sedona and have a vehicle--take the time and go to Jerome.  Very cool and obscure town.  It's an old copper mining town that basically feels like never kept up with the times.  Makes for a very unique experience.  Interesting wine tasting and dive bars.    

I won't get into detail--but when I went to Jerome--my friends and I went into a dive bar.   The security guard/bouncer outside the bar was around 6 foot 4, 300 lbs, and his name was "Grizzle".   I was wearing a sterling silver skull necklace that I designed myself--and Grizzle at first seemed to be making fun of it and giving me a hard time.  At one point--he yells to me to come to the front of the bar where he was (and I legit thought the dude was going to beat me up)--but I had no choice but to oblige.  I go to the front--and Grizzle proceeds to walk me outside and down the street to where he showed me a beautiful vintage Harley Davidson tricycle.  It was a stunning piece of machinery--and the bike featured skulls and skull artwork all over.   He explained to me that he collected skulls and that his bike featured 480 total skulls in the design.  I figured that I'm a jeweler and I had a mold for my skull necklace--so I take it off and put it around his neck and tell him that he deserved to own it.  Dude legit almost cried and ended up buying my friends and I several rounds of drinks.  Our group pretty much made up 80% of the patrons in the bar so he hung out with us for a couple hours.  I legit thought I was going to get killed by a dude named Grizzle and instead ended up having one of those "life's cooler moments".  Sorry for boring you all with my dumb story.  

I've been to Sedona and I absolutely loved it.  It is absolutely gorgeous and the vortex's have soo much energy.   It really is a magical place.  If you make it back to Sedona and have a vehicle--take the time and go to Jerome.  Very cool and obscure town.  It's an old copper mining town that basically feels like never kept up with the times.  Makes for a very unique experience.  Interesting wine tasting and dive bars.    

I won't get into detail--but when I went to Jerome--my friends and I went into a dive bar.   The security guard/bouncer outside the bar was around 6 foot 4, 300 lbs, and his name was "Grizzle".   I was wearing a sterling silver skull necklace that I designed myself--and Grizzle at first seemed to be making fun of it and giving me a hard time.  At one point--he yells to me to come to the front of the bar where he was (and I legit thought the dude was going to beat me up)--but I had no choice but to oblige.  I go to the front--and Grizzle proceeds to walk me outside and down the street to where he showed me a beautiful vintage Harley Davidson tricycle.  It was a stunning piece of machinery--and the bike featured skulls and skull artwork all over.   He explained to me that he collected skulls and that his bike featured 480 total skulls in the design.  I figured that I'm a jeweler and I had a mold for my skull necklace--so I take it off and put it around his neck and tell him that he deserved to own it.  Dude legit almost cried and ended up buying my friends and I several rounds of drinks.  Our group pretty much made up 80% of the patrons in the bar so he hung out with us for a couple hours.  I legit thought I was going to get killed by a dude named Grizzle and instead ended up having one of those "life's cooler moments".  Sorry for boring you all with my dumb story.  
That's an awesome story. What an act of generosity on your part! Do you have a photo of the necklace in question you can post to an anonymous site so that we can see it?  

And you're a jeweler? That's also awesome.  

That's an awesome story. What an act of generosity on your part! Do you have a photo of the necklace in question you can post to an anonymous site so that we can see it?  

And you're a jeweler? That's also awesome.  
I'm glad at least one person found it to be an interesting story.  It's a story that I haven't told to many people but it's a story that I enjoy telling when I do.   I don't have a picture of the necklace on me now--but I can certainly take a pic of the second one that I created after giving the first one away and pm you.  I don't generally post pics of my custom designs online as it leaves me open to people copying the designs.  

Yes--I manage a fine jewelry store and I also design my own line of jewelry when I have the chance.  It is an awesome job--but it's a lot of work.   The store that I manage is a full service shop--so we do everything from custom fabrication to full jewelry and watch repairs so we're basically always slammed with work (which is a good thing). 

I'm glad at least one person found it to be an interesting story.  It's a story that I haven't told to many people but it's a story that I enjoy telling when I do.   I don't have a picture of the necklace on me now--but I can certainly take a pic of the second one that I created after giving the first one away and pm you.  I don't generally post pics of my custom designs online as it leaves me open to people copying the designs.  

Yes--I manage a fine jewelry store and I also design my own line of jewelry when I have the chance.  It is an awesome job--but it's a lot of work.   The store that I manage is a full service shop--so we do everything from custom fabrication to full jewelry and watch repairs so we're basically always slammed with work (which is a good thing). 
Wow, man. Sure, send me a PM. I'll keep it private. I can imagine that copyright and design patent concerns can get in the way of sharing pictures of things like jewelry. And that's great that you're slammed with work, actually. Better slammed than to be not. 

Best of luck, 

RA

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

That drive on 89A from Sedona to Flagstaff is one of the most beaurtiful drives anyone will ever do. I’m glad you guys went that way.

Sorry to hear you didn’t get to Prescott. We have a little vacation home there, and it’s one of my all time favorite places. More charm than Flagstaff, IMO. 

And we don’t all come from Minnesota. Some of us are from Michigan 🙂

Love Sedona.  If it had more craft beer and less crunchy crystal energy BS, it would be perfect.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

That drive on 89A from Sedona to Flagstaff is one of the most beaurtiful drives anyone will ever do. I’m glad you guys went that way.

Sorry to hear you didn’t get to Prescott. We have a little vacation home there, and it’s one of my all time favorite places. More charm than Flagstaff, IMO. 

And we don’t all come from Minnesota. Some of us are from Michigan 🙂
My college golf team got stoned in the van with our coach passed out in the passenger seat on 89A. Before the time of odorless vaping. It was an engineering marvel.

Az is awesome....until it’s 100 degrees for 7 straight months and among the worst states for air quality. 

Jerome is pretty cool.

Day three was Grand Canyon day. The drive up through Flagstaff was nice because we took the less traveled route north via Hwy 89A. We attempted to go through the loop of Sunset Crater/Wupatki Ruins but the road was closed https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/cant-make-it-to-the-moon-head-to-arizona-instead-180952821/ Gassed up and shopped in Cameron a bit, then headed for the GC.  Short story – no pictures nor words can prepare you for the grandeur. I get that Christie Brinkley is the best, but Clark Griswold should have spent more time there. I wish we’d had time to stop at the Little Colorado River Gorge. Those sheer walls looked cool from the road! 
The rim is something but until you go all the way to the bottom you cannot even imagine how truly awesome it really is. The mule ride to the bottom is worth well more than the price.

Vortexes are 100% B.S., only hippies believe in them. Don't be a hippie. Don't!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread