What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ARRINGTON'S DEAL STINKS (1 Viewer)

buster c

Footballguy
profootballtalk.com

POSTED 7:51 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 8:54 a.m. EDT, April 23, 2006

ARRINGTON'S DEAL STINKS

Initially hyped as a seven-year, $49 million package with an $11 million signing bonus, the contract signed by linebacker LaVar Arrington with the New York Giants is, in actuality, a deal that averages $3.7 million per year. If Arrington hits some basic incentives, the deal is worth $5 million annually. To hits the $7 million per year figure, Arrington needs to hit some pretty high performance triggers.

More importantly, the contract pays Arrington a signing bonus of only $5.25 million, less than half the figure that initially was leaked, presumably by his agents. (Maybe they'll now claim that the bonus was changed by the Giants from $11 million to $5.25 million in the final draft of the contract -- and that they failed to notice it because they read contracts roughly as carefully as Fran Foley reads his own bio.)

The practical consequence here is that, if the Giants conclude that they made a mistake, the cap hit will be manageable. Cutting him after June 1, 2007, for example, would result in a $1.05 million cap charge in 2007, and $3.15 million in dead money come 2008.

And the package pales in comparison to the contract signed by linebacker Julian Peterson with the Seahawks. Peterson got $18 million guaranteed as part of a seven-year, $54 million package.

We're also somewhat surprised that the truth on the Arrington deal got out so soon. Surely, Arrington's camp didn't cough up the real numbers. From the Giants' perspective, the typical approach by NFL teams is to let the player pretend he got a great deal -- without saying anything while the ink is still wet (and before the numbers are available via the NFLPA) as to what the player really will get.

LAVAR SHOULD SUE POSTONS FOR $4.4 MILLION

At the end of the day on the Arrington deal, we believe that the former Redskins star should ask his agents, Carl and Kevin Poston, to pay him $4.4 million. If they refuse, he should sue them for it.

Why? Because the Postons allowed Arrington to give up $4.4 million in earned bonus money in order to hit the open market in early March instead of July, when the Redskins would have cut him in order to avoid paying him a $6.5 million roster bonus.

In the end, however, Arrington got roughly the same deal in late April that he would have gotten in July. Or August. Or September.

Put simply, the Postons should have known what the market would bear for Arrington, and they should have advised him accordingly. Instead, they undoubtedly pumped his head up with ideas of how great he is and how much money he'd made, and we hear that they're now telling him that he'll make a lot of the lost jack back in endorsements.

But will he? This guy isn't Lawrence Taylor, and L.T. wasn't exactly a marketing superstar during his career.

Speaking of L.T., we initially wondered whether Arrington will pull a Jerry Rice and try to finagle Taylor's No. 56, the number that Arrington wore in D.C. According to the Giants' official site, however, it appears that LaVar will wear 55.

He should have asked to wear No. 44, as a constant reminder to himself -- and his agents -- of the money that never should have gotten away.

profootballtalk.com

ARRINGTON'S DEAL STINKS

Initially hyped as a seven-year, $49 million package with an $11 million signing bonus, the contract signed by linebacker LaVar Arrington with the New York Giants is, in actuality, a deal that averages $3.7 million per year. If Arrington hits some basic incentives, the deal is worth $5 million annually. To hits the $7 million per year figure, Arrington needs to hit some pretty high performance triggers.

More importantly, the contract pays Arrington a signing bonus of only $5.25 million, less than half the figure that initially was leaked, presumably by his agents. (Maybe they'll now claim that the bonus was changed by the Giants from $11 million to $5.25 million in the final draft of the contract -- and that they failed to notice it because they read contracts roughly as carefully as Fran Foley reads his own bio.)

The practical consequence here is that, if the Giants conclude that they made a mistake, the cap hit will be manageable. Cutting him after June 1, 2007, for example, would result in a $1.05 million cap charge in 2007, and $3.15 million in dead money come 2008.

And the package pales in comparison to the contract signed by linebacker Julian Peterson with the Seahawks. Peterson got $18 million guaranteed as part of a seven-year, $54 million package.

We're also somewhat surprised that the truth on the Arrington deal got out so soon. Surely, Arrington's camp didn't cough up the real numbers. From the Giants' perspective, the typical approach by NFL teams is to let the player pretend he got a great deal -- without saying anything while the ink is still wet (and before the numbers are available via the NFLPA) as to what the player really will get.

At the end of the day on the Arrington deal, we believe that the former Redskins star should ask his agents, Carl and Kevin Poston, to pay him $4.4 million. If they refuse, he should sue them for it.

Why? Because the Postons allowed Arrington to give up $4.4 million in earned bonus money in order to hit the open market in early March instead of July, when the Redskins would have cut him in order to avoid paying him a $6.5 million roster bonus.

In the end, however, Arrington got roughly the same deal in late April that he would have gotten in July. Or August. Or September.

Put simply, the Postons should have known what the market would bear for Arrington, and they should have advised him accordingly. Instead, they undoubtedly pumped his head up with ideas of how great he is and how much money he'd made, and we hear that they're now telling him that he'll make a lot of the lost jack back in endorsements.

But will he? This guy isn't Lawrence Taylor, and L.T. wasn't exactly a marketing superstar during his career.

Speaking of L.T., we initially wondered whether Arrington will pull a Jerry Rice and try to finagle Taylor's No. 56, the number that Arrington wore in D.C. According to the Giants' official site, however, it appears that LaVar will wear 55.

He should have asked to wear No. 44, as a constant reminder to himself -- and his agents -- of the money that never should have gotten away.
:cry: Arrington needs to learn how to play team defense, as opposed to the freelance tactics he employs...if not, the team needs an out

and BTW, he turned down more guaranteed money elsewhere, so let's not have a pity party for LaVar---he made this bed himself

profootballtalk.com

ARRINGTON'S DEAL STINKS

Initially hyped as a seven-year, $49 million package with an $11 million signing bonus, the contract signed by linebacker LaVar Arrington with the New York Giants is, in actuality, a deal that averages $3.7 million per year.  If Arrington hits some basic incentives, the deal is worth $5 million annually.  To hits the $7 million per year figure, Arrington needs to hit some pretty high performance triggers.

More importantly, the contract pays Arrington a signing bonus of only $5.25 million, less than half the figure that initially was leaked, presumably by his agents.  (Maybe they'll now claim that the bonus was changed by the Giants from $11 million to $5.25 million in the final draft of the contract -- and that they failed to notice it because they read contracts roughly as carefully as Fran Foley reads his own bio.)

The practical consequence here is that, if the Giants conclude that they made a mistake, the cap hit will be manageable.  Cutting him after June 1, 2007, for example, would result in a $1.05 million cap charge in 2007, and $3.15 million in dead money come 2008.

And the package pales in comparison to the contract signed by linebacker Julian Peterson with the Seahawks.  Peterson got $18 million guaranteed as part of a seven-year, $54 million package.

We're also somewhat surprised that the truth on the Arrington deal got out so soon.  Surely, Arrington's camp didn't cough up the real numbers.  From the Giants' perspective, the typical approach by NFL teams is to let the player pretend he got a great deal -- without saying anything while the ink is still wet (and before the numbers are available via the NFLPA) as to what the player really will get.

At the end of the day on the Arrington deal, we believe that the former Redskins star should ask his agents, Carl and Kevin Poston, to pay him $4.4 million.  If they refuse, he should sue them for it.

Why?  Because the Postons allowed Arrington to give up $4.4 million in earned bonus money in order to hit the open market in early March instead of July, when the Redskins would have cut him in order to avoid paying him a $6.5 million roster bonus.

In the end, however, Arrington got roughly the same deal in late April that he would have gotten in July.  Or August.  Or September.

Put simply, the Postons should have known what the market would bear for Arrington, and they should have advised him accordingly.  Instead, they undoubtedly pumped his head up with ideas of how great he is and how much money he'd made, and we hear that they're now telling him that he'll make a lot of the lost jack back in endorsements.

But will he?  This guy isn't Lawrence Taylor, and L.T. wasn't exactly a marketing superstar during his career. 

Speaking of L.T., we initially wondered whether Arrington will pull a Jerry Rice and try to finagle Taylor's No. 56, the number that Arrington wore in D.C.  According to the Giants' official site, however, it appears that LaVar will wear 55.

:cry: Arrington needs to learn how to play team defense, as opposed to the freelance tactics he employs...if not, the team needs an out

and BTW, he turned down more guaranteed money elsewhere, so let's not have a pity party for LaVar---he made this bed himself
Or he could just be that motivated to get to play the redskins twice a year....show them what they got rid of. With his signing bonus he is pretty much even from what his contract was in DC, so it's not like he is out any money.

The Postons really screwed their client, but they saved public face by being able to report the 7-year 49 million dollar deal; which are numbers Lavar clearly will never reach.

Edited to add: The above comments closely resemble what I pointed out yesterday.

Happy for Lavar. It should be noted (from reading the NY paper this morning) that the guaranteed money is about 5 to 6 million, which is not a lot for a 7 year contract. This contract gives a lot of future leverage to the NY Giants.

In two years, I don't want to hear about how Lavar has a 'crappy' contract when it was his actions that put him in this situation and he who signed this contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see what performance incentives are included. Lets not forget that this is a guy who can play at an extremely high level. I know athletes love to have guaranteed money, but in the case of arrington, since he is somewhat of a risk, I'm sure his ego is big enough to think he can be putting up pro bowl after pro bowl season. And maybe he can, and in that case he would earn probably the entirity of his contract, which would make him one of the highest paid LB's in history.

I think performance based contracts (not cheesy ones where you get a 5 mil bonus if you lead the team in ST tackles, when you dont play ST) are a good trend, especially for "risky" players.

The upside is this will help keep arrington highly motivated to excel.

The downside is him (and anyone else who signs a similar contract) might become to concerned with stats, which can lead to a "me first" attitude that is not always good for the team.

All in all, i think the giants made a GREAT move by adding arrington, made even better by the excellent contract they got him to sign.

2003 game

But Collins made the big plays in overtime, including a 27-yard completion to fullback Jim Finn.

In this 2003 matchup, the key play was a result of Arrington biting hard and getting out of position, allowing his man Finn to get open in the flat. In fact, his teammate at the time, Antonio Pierce, basically called him out later, referencing this particular crushing play.

Not to mention untimely offsides penalties and the occasional personal fouls for late hits, etc. So dance with you pickle, but don't be surprised to see all that I've seen. Oh, and for the record, I love the guy. But he'll also break your heart.

How will he ever be able to feed his family on that paltry amount?

I think he should hold out for a better contract this summer.

The Postons really screwed their client, but they saved public face by being able to report the 7-year 49 million dollar deal; which are numbers Lavar clearly will never reach.

Edited to add: The above comments closely resemble what I pointed out yesterday.

Happy for Lavar.  It should be noted (from reading the NY paper this morning) that the guaranteed money is about 5 to 6 million, which is not a lot for a 7 year contract.  This contract gives a lot of future leverage to the NY Giants.

In two years, I don't want to hear about how Lavar has a 'crappy' contract when it was his actions that put him in this situation and he who signed this contract.
If Arrington plays well, in two years you will hear how he has outperformed his contract and it should be redone.

Arrington never seemed to me an idiot. I think he knows what the deal is here. At worst, he is going to make 10+ million, and at best he can multiply that 3 fold plus.

He's earned a lot of money. He is going to a place he really wants to be - and if he plays well and up to his expectations, then he will get paid just plenty. Maybe this is what he wanted, more than a few more bucks guaranteed somewhere else.

We always rail about pros only going for the money, and then when they might not take the top $$ contract, we berate them for being fools. Which is it?

Arrington never seemed to me an idiot. I think he knows what the deal is here. At worst, he is going to make 10+ million, and at best he can multiply that 3 fold plus.

He's earned a lot of money. He is going to a place he really wants to be - and if he plays well and up to his expectations, then he will get paid just plenty. Maybe this is what he wanted, more than a few more bucks guaranteed somewhere else.

We always rail about pros only going for the money, and then when they might not take the top $$ contract, we berate them for being fools. Which is it?
Myself, I am not berating him for being a fool. However, I know agents like to play this PR nut-shell game with the fans and claim, "NFL contracts are unfair and NFL contracts are not guaranteed."My concern is in two years the Postons (representing) start their :rant: and you get guys in the media who buy into what the Postons are selling.

How will he ever be able to feed his family on that paltry amount?

I think he should hold out for a better contract this summer.
This is a good question. I don't think I could feed my family with that kind of money. My family has expensive tastes, though.

He is going to a place he really wants to be
this is not true. he wanted to retire as a Redskin - said it time and again. Problem is that the Skins D braintrust had enough of his hit or miss play and made the decision they'd rather have someone else on the field.

this is not true. he wanted to retire as a Redskin - said it time and again. Problem is that the Skins D braintrust had enough of his hit or miss play and made the decision they'd rather have someone else on the field.
:goodposting: I remember after he signed his last contract signing....the press conference about how happy he was he could remain a Redskin for life. Even during/after his contract dispute he said he wanted to stay a Skin.

Or he could just be that motivated to get to play the redskins twice a year....show them what they got rid of. With his signing bonus he is pretty much even from what his contract was in DC, so it's not like he is out any money.
I'd buy that if he hadn't spent so much time asking for more money from a variety of teams outside the division, including Minnesota, Green Bay and Miami most recently. The fact is that he views himself as a superstar, wanted to be paid as such, couldn't, so he "settled" for a lesser deal with the Giants who wisely refused to pay more. Kudos to them. I'm sure it made it easier for him to swallow given that he'll face the 'Skins twice per year - it's certainly made it easier for him to spin the deal positively.

He was a fun player to root for, but he was also maddeningly undisciplined. He's the LB version of Roy Williams in that he's always looking for the big play. I believe at the end of the day that I'll miss Antonio Pierce more than I miss Lavar.

:goodposting: I remember after he signed his last contract signing....the press conference about how happy he was he could remain a Redskin for life. Even during/after his contract dispute he said he wanted to stay a Skin.
Well, seeing as we are in the here and now, and the Redskins were not even an option, then I would say he may very well have taken a little more risk/less guaranteed money to play in NY, where he would prefer to play than the other options available now.

Arrington never seemed to me an idiot.  I think he knows what the deal is here.  At worst, he is going to make 10+ million, and at best he can multiply that 3 fold plus. 

He's earned a lot of money.  He is going to a place he really wants to be - and if he plays well and up to his expectations, then he will get paid just plenty.  Maybe this is what he wanted, more than a few more bucks guaranteed somewhere else.

We always rail about pros only going for the money, and then when they might not take the top $$ contract, we berate them for being fools.  Which is it?
Myself, I am not berating him for being a fool. However, I know agents like to play this PR nut-shell game with the fans and claim, "NFL contracts are unfair and NFL contracts are not guaranteed."My concern is in two years the Postons (representing) start their :rant: and you get guys in the media who buy into what the Postons are selling.
Well, before I cry for the Giants for this possible inevitability, I'll have to remember that no guarantees goes both ways. It's a system they all buy into. Lavar didnt make any promises other than his contractual obligations, nor did the Giants.

I just caught The NFL Network interview with Arrington. To my surprise he didn't appear at all like the picture that had been painted of him in Washington. He was very humble. Talked about what a thrill it was for him to get a phone call from Brett Favre,something he can tell his grandchildren about,says he got very emotional over it and ALMOST signed with The Packers. Ultimately the class of the people in the Giants organization won him over,he mentioned the Marra and Tisch families in particular. He was asked about a comparision to LT and he quickly said he's not anywhere near the player LT was but he's striving to be that good. He talked about going right into a workout and the "difference" in attitude of the players,how much more focused they were on getting to a Super Bowl,everything they were doing now was working towards that goal. I think the Giants got a steal.

I just caught The NFL Network interview with Arrington. To my surprise he didn't appear at all like the picture that had been painted of him in Washington. He was very humble. Talked about what a thrill it was for him to get a phone call from Brett Favre,something he can tell his grandchildren about,says he got very emotional over it and ALMOST signed with The Packers. Ultimately the class of the people in the Giants organization won him over,he mentioned the Marra and Tisch families in particular. He was asked about a comparision to LT and he quickly said he's not anywhere near the player LT was but he's striving to be that good. He talked about going right into a workout and the "difference" in attitude of the players,how much more focused they were on getting to a Super Bowl,everything they were doing now was working towards that goal. I think the Giants got a steal.
I'm not sure where the bad picture of Lavar came from....The local media and fans around here for the most part have always loved him.

I'm not sure where the bad picture of Lavar came from....The local media and fans around here for the most part have always loved him.
I guess it's the perception the rest of the country gets when a report says he's not getting as much PT because he and Gibbs don't see eye to eye and Gibbs is considered venerable and respected and well-liked,just goes to show you how a reporter can tilt a story.

I guess it's the perception the rest of the country gets when a report says he's not getting as much PT because he and Gibbs don't see eye to eye and Gibbs is considered venerable and respected and well-liked,just goes to show you how a reporter can tilt a story.
It never really came out nationally...and pretty small around here, but it was Dale Lindsay the LB coach who really had a big problem with LaVar. Arrington always seemed to get along, at least reasonably well with Gibbs, and Williams.

It never really came out nationally...and pretty small around here, but it was Dale Lindsay the LB coach who really had a big problem with LaVar. Arrington always seemed to get along, at least reasonably well with Gibbs, and Williams.
I recall a game last year,not sure if it was national or not as I have the Ticket,where LA was on the bench looking despondent and the announcer said he was having problems with the coaches. Ultimately the head coach should put a plug in things like that so whether it was an assistant or not Gibbs has to take reponsibility. But if that's part of the reason why he left and signed with the Giants I say thank you Mr. Gibbs and welcome to The G-Men LA,and circle October 8th on the schedule!

I am liking this deal more and more every day. The Giants needed something sizeable to compensate for a brutal upcoming schedule - and this will go a long ways to that end.

I am liking this deal more and more every day. The Giants needed something sizeable to compensate for a brutal upcoming schedule - and this will go a long ways to that end.
They do have a pretty crap schedule....Even being a Skins fan I've always liked the Giants a bit. Always loved Tiki, wish nothing but the best for Pierce and Arrington.......except twice a year when they play the Skins.....hope they suck those days.....lol

First of all, Lavar's always been good in front of the camera. He's charismatic and glib. I'm not surprised that he's saying all the right things. If you're wondering where the bad perception came from, it built over the course of years with his free-lancing, pouting and casting of blame upon his coaches for not being used right (supposedly). He used to complain about how the coaching staff changed every year, so when they finally bring in a stable coaching staff, under HoF coach Joe Gibbs no less, he does the least to assimilate and lead, instead refusing to play within the scheme. Unfortunately for him, this was a coaching staff with enough confidence and job security to say, "My way or the highway," so it was the highway for Lavar.

If his contract didn't already mean that he was gone after last year, then the incident that I think ensured his departure was his newspaper interview in December, when the team was scratching and clawing its way into the playoffs by winning its remaining five games:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LaVar's last stand?

By David Elfin

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Published December 28, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LaVar Arrington knows he won't be a member of the Washington Redskins much longer. That's fine with him. In fact, Arrington is not sure he wants to play football for any team after this season.

"It's not a given that I'll continue playing if the Redskins get rid of me," the 27-year-old linebacker says, sitting in the dining room of his majestic, 20,000-square-foot mansion east of Annapolis. "I don't really want to play for anyone else. I don't feel bad about it. I've had my time. I'm capable of doing other things besides football."

For three seasons, from 2001 to '03, Arrington was the Redskins' biggest star, a three-time Pro Bowl performer. He was well-rewarded by the club, and that's when things began to go bad.

Arrington says an 18-month dispute over a $6.5 million bonus in the contract extension he signed two years ago poisoned his relationship with owner Dan Snyder, then the rest of the organization.

Arrington wouldn't be a Redskin next season even if things still were amicable between him and the organization. He is due $12 million in 2006, and he likely will be cut before a July 15 deadline in his contract that calls for him to be paid $6.5 million if he still is on the roster.

"It's crazy and unfair that something I had very little to do with derailed my relationship with management," Arrington says. "You see they're not marketing you anymore. You see people interacting with other people the way they used to interact with you. I watched how things were with Stephen Davis. I watched how things were with Champ [bailey]. I saw the same things happening to me.

"I restructured my contract to help the Redskins. Do you think I'm going to do that now? Of course not."

Davis produced the best three-year span (1999 to 2001) for a running back in franchise history, but he was cut after the 2002 season. Bailey was a four-time Pro Bowl cornerback (2001-03) with the Redskins, but he was traded to the Denver Broncos in March 2004.

Arrington says he'll be the next to go. He says he would be cut even if he hadn't missed most of last season because of injuries -- injuries that lingered and made him a spare part for much of the first half of this season.

"Obviously, using me sparingly or not at all is a very clear message," says Arrington, who did not play despite suiting up for an Oct. 9 loss to the Denver Broncos. "I'm not wanted here. I believe in my heart that the Redskins faithful love me as Ravens fans love Ray Lewis or Packers fans love Brett Favre. Some individuals hate it that there are more of my jerseys in the stands than anyone else's."

That feeling of separation from the Redskins coincided with Arrington's move in February of last year to Annapolis and this house that sits on the lip of a creek that leads to the Chesapeake Bay.

Arrington lives so far from Redskin Park that he usually stays at a rental property in Virginia during the season rather than commute home to his version of paradise, with its adult playrooms full of autographed NFL helmets and NBA sneakers, suits of armor, Spider-Man statues, a koi-filled indoor pond and plenty of Arrington memorabilia.

There also is an all-pink baby room: Arrington and his wife, Trishia, are awaiting the birth of their first child, Marlee, around Jan. 15. Keeno, Arrington's 5-year-old son from a prior relationship, is a frequent visitor.

"I didn't plan to move this far from Redskin Park," Arrington says. "I looked all over Virginia and Maryland for this type of setup. But I wanted to be near the water."

The Redskins are on the verge of their first playoff berth in Arrington's six seasons. He's back in his accustomed spot as the weak-side linebacker, as he has been every week that he's been healthy since Nov. 5 (he missed December wins over Arizona and Dallas because of a bruised thigh).

He has made just 38 tackles. Because he rarely plays on third down, Arrington doesn't have a sack. However, he says he's not unhappy with his role.

"At some point during that six-game drought when I wasn't playing much, I lost my mojo," Arrington says. "I accepted being on the bench for the good of the team. But I shouldn't have. I was like, 'Is this the way my career is going to end?'

"I found myself for the first time this season on Saturday. I was like, 'I could care less what people think about me or what they say. I'm just going to be me.' And I think it showed."

Which comes back to Arrington's reputation as a freelancer, a player who relies on instinct and athleticism to make plays rather than functioning in the context of a coach's designed scheme.

The Redskins surprisingly ranked as the third-best defense in the NFL last season even though Arrington started just two games and played in only four. If Gregg Williams, the assistant head coach-defense, and linebackers coach Dale Lindsey didn't believe before their first season in Washington that they could succeed without Arrington, they certainly did afterward.

So there was no unease on the part of the coaches when Arrington missed two weeks of training camp to rehab his knee -- it's twice been surgically repaired -- nor when they chose to start Warrick Holdman ahead of him.

"Joe Paterno started the whole thing of me being a freelancer and it has continued through my whole career unwarranted," Arrington says of his coach at Penn State. "I've been called a freelancer doing what I was asked to do. If I ran into any gap I wanted, how long would you keep me in the game?

"[Former defensive coordinator] Marvin Lewis said, 'LaVar ran around like a chicken with his head cut off until I got here.' But I made a Pro Bowl before he got here."

Arrington says his refusal to give his entire life to football also hurt his standing with coaches.

"Causing a fumble to win a game or getting an interception to change a season, that's not the extent of my life," he says. "It never has been. I always see myself as a person first. Maybe coaches get upset that I don't take myself or this game too seriously and they do. Maybe they get upset because I see it as a game and nothing more than a game."

That game, of course, gave Arrington millions of dollars -- the disputed contract was worth $68 million over eight years -- and gobs of glory.

But Arrington says nothing necessarily will keep him in pads and cleats next season. Not the prospect of playing in San Diego for his favorite coaches, ex-Redskins coach Marty Schottenheimer and assistant Greg Manusky. Not the prospect of playing for the Chargers alongside former Maryland linebacker Shawne Merriman, the protege Arrington calls "my baby boy."

Arrington might have few good options: Two NFL scouts agree he is damaged goods since he hasn't been a healthy, full-time starter since 2003.

"No team is going to take on that contract," one said. "LaVar's going to have to sign the best one-year deal he can get and show everybody that he's back to his old self to get another big contract."

Arrington says he would seriously consider playing for the Chargers and a few other teams but that he's already looking beyond football.

Arrington says he intends not only to finish the year's worth of course work he needs for a dual degree from Penn State in counseling and education, but he also wants to pursue a master's and a doctorate.

He was less clear about his business ventures, but he was as emphatic as the bright red plates sitting on his dining room table that he can live without football.

"The Redskins will try and trade me, but if no one wants to take the trade, they're going to have to cut me," Arrington says. "If they string me into July, that's not debilitating to me. If that means the end, that means the end. I can always look back at everything I've been through and say for the most part that I've handled things the right way. I haven't embarrassed my name in any way. I've always been a cool guy.

"I'm happy in my skin. My parents instilled in us that you can't take anything for granted. I've been preparing for my post-football career since I started playing. If I went no further than being Parade's National High School Player of the Year, it was one heck of a ride."

Arrington isn't quite done with the game. He still hopes to experience -- finally -- the thrill of a journey into postseason.

"I'm still a part of this team, and we're having a winning season," he said. "If I get a Super Bowl ring, I could really feel good about leaving this game."

There also is an all-pink baby room: Arrington and his wife, Trishia, are awaiting the birth of their first child, Marlee, around Jan. 15. Keeno, Arrington's 5-year-old son from a prior relationship, is a frequent visitor.

"I didn't plan to move this far from Redskin Park," Arrington says. "I looked all over Virginia and Maryland for this type of setup. But I wanted to be near the water."

The Redskins are on the verge of their first playoff berth in Arrington's six seasons. He's back in his accustomed spot as the weak-side linebacker, as he has been every week that he's been healthy since Nov. 5 (he missed December wins over Arizona and Dallas because of a bruised thigh).

He has made just 38 tackles. Because he rarely plays on third down, Arrington doesn't have a sack. However, he says he's not unhappy with his role.

"At some point during that six-game drought when I wasn't playing much, I lost my mojo," Arrington says. "I accepted being on the bench for the good of the team. But I shouldn't have. I was like, 'Is this the way my career is going to end?'

"I found myself for the first time this season on Saturday. I was like, 'I could care less what people think about me or what they say. I'm just going to be me.' And I think it showed."

Which comes back to Arrington's reputation as a freelancer, a player who relies on instinct and athleticism to make plays rather than functioning in the context of a coach's designed scheme.

The Redskins surprisingly ranked as the third-best defense in the NFL last season even though Arrington started just two games and played in only four. If Gregg Williams, the assistant head coach-defense, and linebackers coach Dale Lindsey didn't believe before their first season in Washington that they could succeed without Arrington, they certainly did afterward.

So there was no unease on the part of the coaches when Arrington missed two weeks of training camp to rehab his knee -- it's twice been surgically repaired -- nor when they chose to start Warrick Holdman ahead of him.

"Joe Paterno started the whole thing of me being a freelancer and it has continued through my whole career unwarranted," Arrington says of his coach at Penn State. "I've been called a freelancer doing what I was asked to do. If I ran into any gap I wanted, how long would you keep me in the game?

"[Former defensive coordinator] Marvin Lewis said, 'LaVar ran around like a chicken with his head cut off until I got here.' But I made a Pro Bowl before he got here."

Arrington says his refusal to give his entire life to football also hurt his standing with coaches.

"Causing a fumble to win a game or getting an interception to change a season, that's not the extent of my life," he says. "It never has been. I always see myself as a person first. Maybe coaches get upset that I don't take myself or this game too seriously and they do. Maybe they get upset because I see it as a game and nothing more than a game."

That game, of course, gave Arrington millions of dollars -- the disputed contract was worth $68 million over eight years -- and gobs of glory.

But Arrington says nothing necessarily will keep him in pads and cleats next season. Not the prospect of playing in San Diego for his favorite coaches, ex-Redskins coach Marty Schottenheimer and assistant Greg Manusky. Not the prospect of playing for the Chargers alongside former Maryland linebacker Shawne Merriman, the protege Arrington calls "my baby boy."

Arrington might have few good options: Two NFL scouts agree he is damaged goods since he hasn't been a healthy, full-time starter since 2003.

"No team is going to take on that contract," one said. "LaVar's going to have to sign the best one-year deal he can get and show everybody that he's back to his old self to get another big contract."

Arrington says he would seriously consider playing for the Chargers and a few other teams but that he's already looking beyond football.

Arrington says he intends not only to finish the year's worth of course work he needs for a dual degree from Penn State in counseling and education, but he also wants to pursue a master's and a doctorate.

He was less clear about his business ventures, but he was as emphatic as the bright red plates sitting on his dining room table that he can live without football.

"The Redskins will try and trade me, but if no one wants to take the trade, they're going to have to cut me," Arrington says. "If they string me into July, that's not debilitating to me. If that means the end, that means the end. I can always look back at everything I've been through and say for the most part that I've handled things the right way. I haven't embarrassed my name in any way. I've always been a cool guy.

"I'm happy in my skin. My parents instilled in us that you can't take anything for granted. I've been preparing for my post-football career since I started playing. If I went no further than being Parade's National High School Player of the Year, it was one heck of a ride."

Arrington isn't quite done with the game. He still hopes to experience -- finally -- the thrill of a journey into postseason.

"I'm still a part of this team, and we're having a winning season," he said. "If I get a Super Bowl ring, I could really feel good about leaving this game."
Lavar's a prima donna. He's talented like most prima donna's are, but he's still a prima donna. I'm going to be fascinated by how he reacts to Coughlin's equally strict coaching regimen over time.

Just like TO, I'll take Arrington's side. He's worth every nickel, and at least to his credit, he sees the real deal now and not next year.

I hope he gets a real 7yr/49M contract, unlike what he signed in good faith with regards to his agents, and just as TO signed in good faith with regards to Rosenhaus.

You can't fault the players for not understanding what they sign. That is the entire point of agents. If the agents mislead the players, I believe those agents should be held liable for the money.

I think both are assclowns, but it's irrelevant in this situation. Both are great players on the field and deserve to get the contracts they believed they signed.

Last edited:
He'll be holding out soon enough. If he whined over getting screwed over in DC, he'll do the same in NY. The postons are jackasses.

He'll be holding out soon enough. If he whined over getting screwed over in DC, he'll do the same in NY. The postons are jackasses.
If he does he'll get the same treatment TO got,he'll be released and the Giants will move on,it's still a solid gamble(as any player is) on NY's part.

He'll be holding out soon enough.  If he whined over getting screwed over in DC, he'll do the same in NY.  The postons are jackasses.
If he does he'll get the same treatment TO got,he'll be released and the Giants will move on,it's still a solid gamble(as any player is) on NY's part.
Don't get me wrong, I like the deal the Giants made with him. It's a smart move on their part with little downside.

If he's talking about his visit to GB, maybe I buy this. If he's talking about the last two seasons in Washington, then he truly has rocks in his head.I hope both Wash-NYG games this year come down to the Skins with the ball needing a big 3rd down conversion. If anyone will be able to sucker LA, it's the team that witnessed his weaknesses for the past 6 years.

If he's talking about his visit to GB, maybe I buy this. If he's talking about the last two seasons in Washington, then he truly has rocks in his head.I hope both Wash-NYG games this year come down to the Skins with the ball needing a big 3rd down conversion. If anyone will be able to sucker LA, it's the team that witnessed his weaknesses for the past 6 years.
...be careful what you wish for..

Users who are viewing this thread